2023-2024 TouroCOM-CA - Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone started an accepted students facebook or groupchat? Would love to join!
for our class, they didn't make one til May and the classes usually use discord. the accepted fb group will be made around March/April
You guys are welcome to create a group chat right now since you guys might be weighing your options. Feel free to send me the invite if you want a current student in there to answer questions. Also my DM's are also open in case anyone has any questions! Happy holidays <3

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I have my virtual interview at the end of January, any general advice for prep? I already accepted to a school that used MMI, but I wanted to hear what people thought about their experience with Touro's interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I was admitted to Touro a while back and currently it’s where I’m planning on going. I was wondering if any current students have any insight on living off the island? I have a fairly strong support system in Berkeley and was considering commuting, so I just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I was admitted to Touro a while back and currently it’s where I’m planning on going. I was wondering if any current students have any insight on living off the island? I have a fairly strong support system in Berkeley and was considering commuting, so I just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks!
I live off the island, in apartments in Vallejo. I think around 1/3 of the class lives off the island in some form. Some do commute from Walnut Creek, Hercules, and Dublin. I feel like with commuting it probably is a lot more challenging and also expensive (toll bridge). It is not impossible though, since I do know many people who are doing well while commuting.
Message me if you have any more questions!

Reactions: 1 user
II Today complete 8/22! I am so stoked as this is my top choice school!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hi all I was admitted around thanksgiving. Is there any accepted student groups yet? Looking to meet some people and possibly look at housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all I was admitted around thanksgiving. Is there any accepted student groups yet? Looking to meet some people and possibly look at housing.
no group yet, if you look above, i said yall can make one or wait til the school makes one in like march/april

Accepted Student who has decided to attend here. I was looking into living in Walnut Creek, although there is a bit of a commute involved (around 22 miles/25-40 minutes depending on traffic). I was wondering if anyone else was considering the same or had any perspectives.

Accepted Student who has decided to attend here. I was looking into living in Walnut Creek, although there is a bit of a commute involved (around 22 miles/25-40 minutes depending on traffic). I was wondering if anyone else was considering the same or had any perspectives.
I grew up in Walnut Creek, it is safe and nice and expensive. It's the bay area, I feel that you should treat it like New York where you live in a shoe box and spend all your time doing cool things outside your home.

Made a groupme if anyone wants to join!

*Feel free to dm me for the link.

Last edited:
Is there a particular reason why you want to live in Walnut Creek specifically? Bay Area traffic gets pretty bad, and a 40-minute commute means more than an hour a day just driving. Many of the MS1/2s I talked to at Touro recommended living close to campus, at least for the first semester, so that you can adjust to the med school workload and lifestyle. I used to commute ~40 min a day for undergrad, and it wasn't very pleasant.

Does anyone know if this school accepts LOI/update letters prior to II? :)

Is there a particular reason why you want to live in Walnut Creek specifically? Bay Area traffic gets pretty bad, and a 40-minute commute means more than an hour a day just driving. Many of the MS1/2s I talked to at Touro recommended living close to campus, at least for the first semester, so that you can adjust to the med school workload and lifestyle. I used to commute ~40 min a day for undergrad, and it wasn't very pleasant.
I stayed there for about a week while attending a medical conference in the Bay Area, and I really liked the place. It's a place that's really similar to my home city, and I think that the separation between school and home would be good for me mentally. I commuted to my undergrad from home, so I'm used to that separation. However, I feel like it's more likely that I'll end up staying in American Canyon because it's closer to school. Doing well in school is my priority so if the drive really is excessive, I guess I'll have to count WC out.

I live off the island, in apartments in Vallejo. I think around 1/3 of the class lives off the island in some form. Some do commute from Walnut Creek, Hercules, and Dublin. I feel like with commuting it probably is a lot more challenging and also expensive (toll bridge). It is not impossible though, since I do know many people who are doing well while commuting.
Message me if you have any more questions!
Not the original commenter, but I messaged you about living in Walnut Creek or elsewhere off the island!

Could any students speak to what the first year class schedule is like? I was just wondering about how many hours a day/what times students are on campus. Thank you!

Could any students speak to what the first year class schedule is like? I was just wondering about how many hours a day/what times students are on campus. Thank you!
so each week the schedule will be different, its not like undergrad where the classes were the same each week. Some days you will have lectures in the morning and then anatomy lab in the evening or some days it will be doctoring and OMM back to back etc.
But in general, classes are usually between 8 am to 5 pm (usually never ever the entire whole day lol) and 12-1 is never classes cuz thats a reserved lunch time and usually when clubs have meetings or guest speakers etc.
campus is open all the time with a badge, the library on campus is open 8 am to 9 pm on weekdays except fridays
There are mandatory classes that include all labs and some TBL events and of course exams. Other stuff like lectures are not mandatory and are recorded. lmk if you have any other questions

so each week the schedule will be different, its not like undergrad where the classes were the same each week. Some days you will have lectures in the morning and then anatomy lab in the evening or some days it will be doctoring and OMM back to back etc.
But in general, classes are usually between 8 am to 5 pm (usually never ever the entire whole day lol) and 12-1 is never classes cuz thats a reserved lunch time and usually when clubs have meetings or guest speakers etc.
campus is open all the time with a badge, the library on campus is open 8 am to 9 pm on weekdays except fridays
There are mandatory classes that include all labs and some TBL events and of course exams. Other stuff like lectures are not mandatory and are recorded. lmk if you have any other questions
How many days a week are you required to be on campus?

Last edited:
How many days a week are you required to be on campus?
first semester is a lot. you have anatomy labs which are required and 2-3 times a week. and you also have doctoring and OMM labs which are once or twice a week.
second semester, which i just started, is like 2-3 times a week only for doctoring and OMM labs. No anatomy labs as we get done with anatomy within the first semester

*sigh* i hope they send out more IIs but not sure anymore..

IS II yesterday (1/23)! Submitted secondary 11/2/23

Hi! Can I ask how many interview slots were left in the cycle?
When I scheduled, there were three dates available for the last week of February! I didn’t look at the amount of slots and I didn’t look to see what the March calendar or beyond looked like 😣

we interview until april as well as some into May and even June. It just depends on how many people commit to attend Touro.
If you have not gotten an interview, don't panic yet. ! Good luck

Reactions: 6 users
Post-II WL just now. Feeling somewhat crushed as I really felt like a good fit for the school, but at least some hope remains. Does anyone have any insight as to how much WL movement there typically is? Or is it basically a soft R?

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Waitlisted. I didn’t feel great about my interview so that’s expected. Can’t help but feel embarrassed though.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Hey y'all, I was also WL lol. I felt the same tho, the interview was not great. Any current students know what we can do to continue showing our interest?

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Post-II WL just now. Feeling somewhat crushed as I really felt like a good fit for the school, but at least some hope remains. Does anyone have any insight as to how much WL movement there typically is? Or is it basically a soft R?
I'm a current 1st year and during the last cycle, I'm assuming there was a decent amount of WL movement since we were having people get accepted up until orientation. The incoming class size will also be increased for this next year so don't lose hope! Good luck!

i think there will be a ton of movement. last year, they went through the majority of the waitlist and even interviewed more people in JUNE AND JULY! so don't worry quite yet. As for showing interest, come to the Touro Talks that happen online, if you are nearby campus or the area, you can also sign up for events we have, like right now we have a shadow program where you can shadow a medical student during OMM lab. Hang in there.

If we’re waitlisted but we’re interested in the MPH program (which begins in late May/early June?), does that essentially mean that we’re precluded from the program? Since we would hear back from Touro during June/july (assuming we even get off of the WL)?

If we’re waitlisted but we’re interested in the MPH program (which begins in late May/early June?), does that essentially mean that we’re precluded from the program? Since we would hear back from Touro during June/july (assuming we even get off of the WL)?
It might be that you're excluded from dual-degree entry, but I think you can still apply to the MPH program SEPARATELY? I may be incorrect, but that sounds logical to me?

depends, some people get off the waitlist pretty soon.
I would express your interest to the school by email, also you can even ask them this question yourself!

But from what I know, you can still do the MPH program if you get in late, but you will be taking an additional year to do it.

I grew up in Walnut Creek, it is safe and nice and expensive. It's the bay area, I feel that you should treat it like New York where you live in a shoe box and spend all your time doing cool things outside your home.
would you live there while attending touro?

would you live there while attending touro?
it depends on your lifestyle - walnut creek has some nice places to enjoy in downtown, but it's a fraction of the size of berkeley - so it's a small town (big suburb with a nice downtown really). Unless you have a family, I don't think there's much to living in walnut creek - you're better off saving on that commute time, ymmv.

Secondary complete in Novemeber, IS II today

• Love
what will be the class size this year?