2024-2025 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2024-2025 Johns Hopkins Secondary Essay Prompts: (1-6 required, #7 optional)
(questions 1 to 5 are similar to last year's prompts but in a different order: check the new word counts. #6 is new, 3 old questions omitted)

1: Please review the Johns Hopkins Medicine Website. Is there an area of medicine or a particular medical specialty at Johns Hopkins that interests you and why? (400 word limit)

2: Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application if needed (400 word limit)

3: Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity. Include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician (400 word limit)

4: Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from the experience? (400 word limit)

5: Wonder encapsulates a feeling of rapt attention…it draws the observer in. Tell us about a time in recent years where you experienced wonder in your everyday life. Although experiences related to your clinical or research work may be the first to come to mind, we encourage you to think of an experience that is unrelated to medicine or science. What did you learn from that experience? (500 word limit)

6: Please review the Johns Hopkins Medicine Equity Statement
before answering the question below.

The Johns Hopkins Medicine Equity Statement:
-At Johns Hopkins Medicine, we believe that everyone has a role in promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity in health care, research, and education.
-We must acknowledge, actively address and work toward effectively managing our negative biases, so that we collectively make decisions that improve the lives of our patients, our colleagues, our learners, and our community.
-We stand against discrimination and oppression in all their forms.
-It is vital that we achieve equity for all, including those who are most vulnerable.

The purpose of this essay is to get to know you as an individual and a potential medical student. Please describe how your personal background informs your decision to apply to Johns Hopkins Medicine and what has influenced your desire to become a physician in a Medical community that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion. You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first-generation college student, or being a part of a minority group, (whether because of your gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, socio-economic status, political affiliation, first-generation status, religion, etc.) or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. (500 word limit)

7: (optional) Would you like to share any additional information with the Admissions Committee about yourself that cannot be found elsewhere in your application?
This space can also address any extenuating circumstances (e.g., unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, areas of weakness, etc.) that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider (300 words)

There also seems to be a lengthy yes/no question section with explanation room "If Yes"
Is any member of your family, spouse, spouse-to-be, or domestic partner a current student, house officer, or employee of the Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital, or other affiliated partners?
*Note, we do NOT use this information in our selection process.
Yes
No
What is this Individual’s name?
60 characters remaining

What is their relationship to you?
60 characters remaining

What is their affiliation with the School of Medicine or Hospital?
40 characters remaining

Do you have any additional relatives that you need to list? (up to 4)

Has any member of your family, spouse, spouse-to-be, or domestic partner graduated from the Johns Hopkins University?
Yes
No
60 characters remaining

60 characters remaining

What degree did they earn from Johns Hopkins University?
60 characters remaining

Is your spouse / spouse-to-be / domestic partner currently applying to an academic degree program at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine?
Yes
No
60 characters remaining

Educational History

Have you ever applied to Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (MD or MD/PhD programs) before?
Yes
No
To which prior application year(s) have you applied?

Please share with us how you have reflected upon and grown since your previous application. Discuss any new updates to your candidacy (e.g., changes in your professional life, additional coursework, extracurricular/volunteer engagements, etc.) 400 word limit
400 words remaining

Have you ever interrupted your college education for a semester or longer?
Yes
No
Please describe what you did during that break in enrollment (400 word limit)
400 words remaining

Have you ever been placed on probation, dismissed, or suspended from any college or university for reasons pertaining to academic and/or campus judicial integrity?
Yes
No
Please explain (500 word limit)
500 words remaining

Have you have ever been convicted of, or pled guilty or no contest to any felony or misdemeanor (excluding minor traffic violations)?
Yes
No
Please explain (400 word limit)
400 words remaining

Have you have already received your bachelor’s degree?
Yes
No
Please describe what you have been doing since graduation and your plans for the upcoming year (400 word limit)
400 words remaining

We recognize academic journeys can be complex and varied. If applicable, please briefly explain any withdrawals (W), incompletes (I), or academic coursework grades below a B on your transcript. Your explanation helps us understand your academic history better and how you have overcome challenges.

Do you have any other dual/integrated degree interests at Johns Hopkins University (MPH, MS, etc.)?
Yes
No
Please explain (200 word limit)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Exciting news for all students who will attend Johns Hopkins now and in the future:
A $1 billion gift to Johns Hopkins University from billionaire Mike Bloomberg will make medical school free for most students, and increase financial aid for those enrolled in nursing, public health and other graduate programs.
Starting this fall, Johns Hopkins will offer medical school students free tuition — normally about $65,000 a year for four years — for those whose families earn less than $300,000 a year. Students from families earning up to $175,000 a year will have living expenses and fees covered as well.
https://wapo.st/4cO2t9B

Good luck to all applying!
Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One of last year's prompts that I assume will be on this year's essay list was the one asking about interrupting college education: "If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time."

If I spent two years in between my high school graduation and start of college serving a mission for my church, would I include that here? Or, since it was not in the middle of my college education, should I leave it blank?

One of last year's prompts that I assume will be on this year's essay list was the one asking about interrupting college education: "If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time."

If I spent two years in between my high school graduation and start of college serving a mission for my church, would I include that here? Or, since it was not in the middle of my college education, should I leave it blank?
I would say leave it blank. they are trying to see if you were in college continuously, not whether you took a gap year after high school. This can also apply to your gap year after college and before medical school if applicable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Attended Hopkins a few years back. Attending now. Happy to answer any questions.

Hi everyone! I am applying next cycle, but I was hoping for a little clarification on the LOR requirements. I see on MSAR that a committee letter is preferred, but you are allowed to include additional letters, and if you are unable to get a committee letter, you should submit 2 science profs and 1 non-science prof. I will be able to get a committee letter, so my question is, do I have to adhere to the "2 science profs and 1 non-science profs" requirement when I include additional letters? I would love to submit a rec from my clinical supervisor instead of a non-science prof, but I worry that the guidelines for non-committee letter applicants indicate that they are completely uninterested in reading that.

What do you think are the main reasons someone should choose Hopkins over other similar caliber med schools like Harvard/columbia/penn?

I picked Hopkins over two of the names you listed for a variety of reasons. Went to a couple of Second Look, liked the student body at Hopkins the best, and thought I'd be happiest here over anywhere else. Other reasons included international reputation, lower cost of living, unified health system (rather than having affiliated hospitals), research opportunities, smaller class size, college system, match outcomes, and state-of-the-art, new facilities. My suggestion to you is to pick the place where you'd be happiest.

Hi everyone! I am applying next cycle, but I was hoping for a little clarification on the LOR requirements. I see on MSAR that a committee letter is preferred, but you are allowed to include additional letters, and if you are unable to get a committee letter, you should submit 2 science profs and 1 non-science prof. I will be able to get a committee letter, so my question is, do I have to adhere to the "2 science profs and 1 non-science profs" requirement when I include additional letters? I would love to submit a rec from my clinical supervisor instead of a non-science prof, but I worry that the guidelines for non-committee letter applicants indicate that they are completely uninterested in reading that.
When I applied many years ago, I submitted a committee letter with all the reference letters attached to it. Our advisors were kind enough to place those letters from strongest to weakest for us. I was a non-traditional and research-heavy candidate so I had 6 letters (2 science, 2 humanities, 1 research, 1 extracurricular), one of which was from my research supervisor.

Reactions: 1 users
Y'all might be interested in this:

Attending Johns Hopkins on a full scholarship is straight up dream world stuff, this is awesome.

got an email saying they’ll send a secondary in the next week

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a bit confused about the recommendation letter requirements. The FAQ on the Hopkins website says additional letters beyond the required 3 professor letters may be sent (although they may not read the extras). On the other hand, MSAR says the max letters allowed is 3. I have a letter from my PI that I would like to include, which would be a 4th letter (my school does not do committee letters).

Does anyone know if the max on MSAR being listed as 3 means I won't be able to send a 4th letter?

I'm a bit confused about the recommendation letter requirements. The FAQ on the Hopkins website says additional letters beyond the required 3 professor letters may be sent (although they may not read the extras). On the other hand, MSAR says the max letters allowed is 3. I have a letter from my PI that I would like to include, which would be a 4th letter (my school does not do committee letters).

Does anyone know if the max on MSAR being listed as 3 means I won't be able to send a 4th letter?

Please see my response above. You can send in more than 3.

Please see my response above. You can send in more than 3.

I wasn’t sure if that was only allowed because you sent them as a committee letter / letter packet, since that only counts as one letter on AMCAS. I will have to upload 4 individual letters, and was more so wondering if AMCAS will still allow me to send a 4th letter in the system, but I guess I can also just try and see what happens. Thank you!

I wasn’t sure if that was only allowed because you sent them as a committee letter / letter packet, since that only counts as one letter on AMCAS. I will have to upload 4 individual letters, and was more so wondering if AMCAS will still allow me to send a 4th letter in the system, but I guess I can also just try and see what happens. Thank you!
@beanie12 please educate yourself on letters: AMCAS guide pages 56 to 60
You can upload as many as 10 letters to AMCAS, but as they say, it doesn't mean ANY of your schools want that many letters!
It is redundant to send your committee letter to a school and also upload the same letters contained in the committee packet separately
One quote from the guide:
You may have up to 10 letters associated with your AMCAS application. The number is intended to
enable you and your letter authors to target specific letters to specific schools, if you wish to do so.
However, the 10-letter total does not suggest that any one school wishes to receive 10 letters. If your
advising office or career center is forwarding your letters to the AMCAS program, please consult with the
office or center before you enter the information on your AMCAS application in order to avoid
complications. Please review the Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) for additional
requirements for each MD-granting school.

You can upload as many as 10 letters to AMCAS, but as they say, it doesn't mean ANY of your schools want that many letters!
It is redundant to send your committee letter to a school and also upload the same letters contained in the committee packet separately
You may have up to 10 letters associated with your AMCAS application. The number is intended to
enable you and your letter authors to target specific letters to specific schools, if you wish to do so.
However, the 10-letter total does not suggest that any one school wishes to receive 10 letters. If your
advising office or career center is forwarding your letters to the AMCAS program, please consult with the
office or center before you enter the information on your AMCAS application in order to avoid
complications. Please review the Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) for additional
Thanks, really why do ppl would think the med school would go “Oh, just a committee packet? Do send 4 more letters!” 😂😂

Sorry, I think I was unclear in my question! I meant that I wasn't sure if the max letters listed on MSAR (3) means that AMCAS will only let me send 3 letters to the school. I only have individual letters, no letter packet or committee letter, so I just wanted to send one extra letter than listed on MSAR, for a total of four, which the school website says is ok. I wasn't sure if the system would allow that, and couldn't find anything in the AMCAS guide about that. I mentioned the committee packet because the person I replied to said they submitted a packet, and I wasn't sure if it would work differnetly for individual letters. Sorry for the confusion!

Sorry, I think I was unclear in my question! I meant that I wasn't sure if the max letters listed on MSAR (3) means that AMCAS will only let me send 3 letters to the school. I only have individual letters, no letter packet or committee letter, so I just wanted to send one extra letter than listed on MSAR, for a total of four, which the school website says is ok. I wasn't sure if the system would allow that, and couldn't find anything in the AMCAS guide about that. I mentioned the committee packet because the person I replied to said they submitted a packet, and I wasn't sure if it would work differnetly for individual letters. Sorry for the confusion!
It's not AMCAS that "lets" you do anything, it is your job to assign letters appropriately.
Look up each school's preference and do not exceed the maximum number of individual letters they say they want.

It's not AMCAS that "lets" you do anything, it is your job to assign letters appropriately.
Look up each school's preference and do not exceed the maximum number of individual letters they say they want.
Got it, I will follow the school website over MSAR then. Thank you!

Does anyone have insight into how to answer the wonder prompt?
For prewriting this essay I did an intro with a narrative anecdote about sewing my wedding dress as an almost hypnotizing act as I gathered the skirts, and used the essay to write about my hobbies. Described the awe of getting in touch with history and basic needs through homesteading. Any hobby that you get lost in is good in my opinion.

Did anyone actually receive a secondary, or was it just an email saying primary received?

Did anyone actually receive a secondary, or was it just an email saying primary received?
No secondary here, I assume the Cycletrack entries are people who misread the primary received email. It was supposed to be sent this week, so maybe tomorrow? Otherwise seems like it'll probably be put off till next week.

No secondary, but I hope they aren't delaying it this cycle because they are changing the prompts. I have a bad feeling that might happen but we'll see.

No secondary, but I hope they aren't delaying it this cycle because they are changing the prompts. I have a bad feeling that might happen but we'll see.
STOP JUMPING TO WORST CASE SCENARIOS!

I would cry

They could at least do us the courtesy of publishing their secondaries so we can get a head start like NYU and Case Western. How rude.

I would love if they got rid of the wonder prompt im not gonna lie
I liked that prompt because I have an intellectual hobby far removed from medicine. If they get rid of it, heads are going to roll. I haven't sworn to do no harm yet, so don't judge me.

• Haha
for the "most rewarding experience" prompt: did any of you repeat an experience you already mentioned in your primary? they say in the prompt that it's okay to refer back to an experience and I'm thinking of doing so, but just not sure if I'm supposed to frame it differently somehow or simply elaborate on it more?

for the "most rewarding experience" prompt: did any of you repeat an experience you already mentioned in your primary? they say in the prompt that it's okay to refer back to an experience and I'm thinking of doing so, but just not sure if I'm supposed to frame it differently somehow or simply elaborate on it more?
I’m repeating an experience from my work/activities section but elaborating on it and making it a little more narrative than a straightforward activity description

+1 OOS, away from computer so can’t check the prompts but will post tonight if no one else has.

1: Please review the Johns Hopkins Medicine Website. Is there an area of medicine or a particular medical specialty at Johns Hopkins that interests you and why? (400 word limit)

2: Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application if needed (400 word limit)

3: Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity. Include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician (400 word limit)

4: Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from the experience? (400 word limit)

5: Wonder encapsulates a feeling of rapt attention…it draws the observer in. Tell us about a time in recent years where you experienced wonder in your everyday life. Although experiences related to your clinical or research work may be the first to come to mind, we encourage you to think of an experience that is unrelated to medicine or science. What did you learn from that experience? (500 word limit)

6: Please review the Johns Hopkins Medicine Equity Statement before answering the question below.

The Johns Hopkins Medicine Equity Statement:

At Johns Hopkins Medicine, we believe that everyone has a role in promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity in health care, research, and education.
We must acknowledge, actively address and work toward effectively managing our negative biases, so that we collectively make decisions that improve the lives of our patients, our colleagues, our learners, and our community.

We stand against discrimination and oppression in all their forms.

It is vital that we achieve equity for all, including those who are most vulnerable.

The purpose of this essay is to get to know you as an individual and a potential medical student. Please describe how your personal background informs your decision to apply to Johns Hopkins Medicine and what has influenced your desire to become a physician in a Medical community that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion. You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first-generation college student, or being a part of a minority group, (whether because of your gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, socio-economic status, political affiliation, first-generation status, religion, etc.) or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. (500 word limit)

7: Would you like to share any additional information with the Admissions Committee about yourself that cannot be found elsewhere in your application?

This space can also address any extenuating circumstances (e.g., unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, areas of weakness, etc.) that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider (300 words)

@wysdoc

Is any member of your family, spouse, spouse-to-be, or domestic partner a current student, house officer, or employee of the Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital, or other affiliated partners?
*Note, we do NOT use this information in our selection process.
Yes
No
60 characters remaining

60 characters remaining

What is their affiliation with the School of Medicine or Hospital?
40 characters remaining

Has any member of your family, spouse, spouse-to-be, or domestic partner graduated from the Johns Hopkins University?
Yes
No
60 characters remaining

60 characters remaining

What degree did they earn from Johns Hopkins University?
60 characters remaining

Is your spouse / spouse-to-be / domestic partner currently applying to an academic degree program at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine?
Yes
No
60 characters remaining

Educational History

Have you ever applied to Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (MD or MD/PhD programs) before?
Yes
No
To which prior application year(s) have you applied?

Please share with us how you have reflected upon and grown since your previous application. Discuss any new updates to your candidacy (e.g., changes in your professional life, additional coursework, extracurricular/volunteer engagements, etc.) 400 word limit
400 words remaining

Have you ever interrupted your college education for a semester or longer?
Yes
No
Please describe what you did during that break in enrollment (400 word limit)
400 words remaining

Have you ever been placed on probation, dismissed, or suspended from any college or university for reasons pertaining to academic and/or campus judicial integrity?
Yes
No
Please explain (500 word limit)
500 words remaining

Have you have ever been convicted of, or pled guilty or no contest to any felony or misdemeanor (excluding minor traffic violations)?
Yes
No
Please explain (400 word limit)
400 words remaining

Have you have already received your bachelor’s degree?
Yes
No
Please describe what you have been doing since graduation and your plans for the upcoming year (400 word limit)
400 words remaining

We recognize academic journeys can be complex and varied. If applicable, please briefly explain any withdrawals (W), incompletes (I), or academic coursework grades below a B on your transcript. Your explanation helps us understand your academic history better and how you have overcome challenges.

Do you have any other dual/integrated degree interests at Johns Hopkins University (MPH, MS, etc.)?
Yes
No
Please explain (200 word limit)

@wysdoc

Is this supposed to be a "Why JHU" and diversity prompt combined?

I filled out the prerequisites page but it won't let me submit. It says I need to designate the writing intensive courses, which I already did.

I filled out the prerequisites page but it won't let me submit. It says I need to designate the writing intensive courses, which I already did.
Same here, probably some type of bug, I'm just going to keep the tab open so my stuff doesn't delete and hold on until they fix it

Same here. Has anyone let them know?