2024-2025 Oklahoma

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Okay so I'm confused. Are the waitlists for Tulsa and OKC actually the same list???

Are these 200-350 people waitlisted for OKC? or Tulsa? or Both?

I know for a fact that they interviewed less people for Tulsa than OKC so how does that even work?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay so I'm confused. Are the waitlists for Tulsa and OKC actually the same list???

Are these 200-350 people waitlisted for OKC? or Tulsa? or Both?

I know for a fact that they interviewed less people for Tulsa than OKC so how does that even work?
1. I don't think so because my waitlist only says OKC and that's all I interviewed for.
2. I would probably say closer to 200 as that 300 number was from over a month ago, so a lot could have changed, as someone mentioned earlier.
 
Yes, but I have not received any sort of extra communication with regards to a Tulsa waitlist even though I interviewed with them and chose to be waitlisted for them too.

So I am just unsure about how many people are on the Tulsa waitlist vs OKC waitlist.
 
Yes, but I have not received any sort of extra communication with regards to a Tulsa waitlist even though I interviewed with them and chose to be waitlisted for them too.

So I am just unsure about how many people are on the Tulsa waitlist vs OKC waitlist.
I’d assume it’s likely only going to be for OKC. If there is a Tulsa specific waitlist, offers would probably be given to applicants that have been admitted to OKC but not Tulsa before they’d be given to students not admitted at all. Just considering that admission to Tulsa only follows admission to OKC
 
I’d assume it’s likely only going to be for OKC. If there is a Tulsa specific waitlist, offers would probably be given to applicants that have been admitted to OKC but not Tulsa before they’d be given to students not admitted at all. Just considering that admission to Tulsa only follows admission to OKC
That's a really good point.

It's just all very confusing because that means Tulsa basically has 2 waitlists: 1. for people already accepted into OKC and 2. for people waitlisted for OKC (like me) and they're not tapping into waitlist #2 until they've exhausted waitlist #1

I emailed the admissions office a couple days earlier about this whole thing but they gave me the generic "unfortunately we cannot share any details about the waitlist" runaround.
 
Admissions are not being helpful at all with this and were actually condescending to me when I asked a few days ago in a respectful way too, which makes me think if i should actually even consider this place given my other A from another school. I emailed them a few days ago and they basically told me to not contact them again on this matter. VERY RUDE!
Yes, they were very rude to me too except I called them a week ago and the person who picked up treated me like I was committing some unspeakable crime by asking about my waitlist status. They basically barked at me to never call them again. I’ve never been spoken to so rudely by any professional institution, let alone a medical school that supposedly prides itself on training compassionate doctors. VERY CONCERNING!

My sister is an MS3 in the OKC track and she's been warning me about even bigger problems behind the scenes. She told me that key professors and administrators, who med students have relied on for years, have recently left and a lot of new people are taking over next year. She also told me that since there will be a brand new curriculum rolling over next year, that the MODs (small support groups) OU prides itself in will not be useful since it will be completely different, making the work even tougher than previous years. She told me that she overheard administrators saying this whole curriculum thing is an "experiment" for next year's students. Seriously, who wants to pay med school tuition to be someone’s guinea pig? She’s also hearing a lot of worry among her classmates about how the new curriculum aligns with board content. Some critical topics are reportedly going to be crammed into shorter blocks with this new plan, leaving students scrambling to fill in the gaps on their own.

In fact, my own interaction with OU’s admissions office was discouraging, but my sister says it doesn’t stop there like that students sometimes feel their concerns aren’t taken seriously and are frequently dismissed, which causes a lot of frustration. It’s really alarming to think about spending four years, and a ton of tuition, at a place that seems this chaotic.

I’m just putting this out there so people can make an informed decision. Between the rude admissions staff, the mass leave of important professors, the ‘experimental’ curriculum, and the administration’s dismissive attitude, it seems like it will be an absolute nightmare for next year students. After all these red flags, I think OU Med is a huge risk for the incoming class and even my sister agrees too and strongly advises me to go somewhere else.
 
Oh wow, this is downright terrifying! What your sister said really opened my eyes, especially. But I can confirm this since a lot of my upper classmates on the OKC track said the exact same thing is happening and will only get worse next year. One of them even mentioned that key faculty just vanished in the middle of a semester without warning, leaving students scrambling. I’m not sure it’s worth the stress or thousands of dollars in tuition when other schools seem far more organized and supportive and kinder to their matriculants.

In fact, someone I knew was laughed at when asking about scholarships which the admissions rep said "If you’re worried about money, maybe medicine isn’t for you" and another friend who was waitlisted called them in late Feb for any updates and they said this verbatim "Don’t call again, we have better things to do than cater to waitlisted applicants." I honestly do not know who they think they are to treat students like this.

MAJOR RED FLAGS!!!
Yeah like even my own sister, who’s currently an MS3 at OU, has practically begged me not to enroll there. She was originally thrilled at the idea of having me join her, but after seeing the incoming changes for next year and how much of a mess it is, she’s telling me it’s just not worth the misery. If even someone on the inside, who always wants me by her side, says this place is going to be a nightmare for next year’s first-year students, that alone should be a massive red flag for anyone considering matriculating to OU.
 
I was thinking that haha. I have had nothing but positive feedback experiences after being accepted in Feb. I spoke with financial aid a couple weeks back because I was really concerned with how loans work. She took about 20 minutes on the phone and thoroughly explained how financial aid works for graduate school and exactly how much I’ll be able to take out in fafsa and graduate plus loans. I was extremely relieved after that phone call. I also have heard positive feedback from current medical students saying that OU would never jeopardize their high reputation over a curriculum change. How students perform on step 1 and 2 directly impact OU’s reputation and funding. I do not think they will leave us out to dry completely. I will know more soon after the preview day for admitted students April5th when they should be discussing our curriculum and academic schedule. Also they are changing the laws on how medical schools report “match” data ..basically making it more clear about who matched top choice and who has to SOAP. This is a good change and will make it easier for pre-med students to pick a school. My point though is with that change, OU will not be making changes that will make their students bomb their board exams and thus not match to their preferred residency programs. I do listen to the concerns and take it into consideration, but I do think there is some hearsay going on as well. The admissions board have reached out to me and said if I have ANY questions at all regarding curriculum changes I can ask away. That came from the director of admissions too.. anyways that’s my two cents on the matter.
 
Last edited:
I was thinking that haha. I have had nothing but positive feedback experiences after being accepted in Feb. I spoke with financial aid a couple weeks back because I was really concerned with how loans work. She took [emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]] minutes on the phone and thoroughly explained how financial aid works for graduate school and exactly how much I’ll be able to take out in fafsa and graduate plus loans. I was extremely relieved after that phone call. I also have heard positive feedback from current medical students saying that OU would never jeopardize their high reputation over a curriculum change. How students perform on step [emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]] and step [emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]] directly impact OU’s reputation and funding. I do not think they will leave us out to dry completely. I will know more soon after the preview day for admitted students April [emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]]]th when they should be discussing our curriculum and academic schedule. Also in [emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]]]] they are changing the laws on how medical schools report “match” data ..basically making it more clear about who matched top choice and who has to SOAP. This is a good change and will make it easier for pre-med students to pick a school. My point though is with that change, OU will not be making changes that will make their students bomb their board exams and thus not match to their preferred residency programs. I do listen to the concerns and take it into consideration, but I do think there is some hearsay going on as well. The admissions board have reached out to me and said if I have ANY questions at all regarding curriculum changes I can ask away. That came from the director of admissions too.. anyways that’s my two cents on the matter.
What are the dynamic trio and their bosses doing that is so important the place can't communicate something clear and solid about all this to all applicants in an email blast ...and actually do their jobs and be civil and professional. "Chosen liaison to SDN" stuff ain't gonna cut it with most I suspect. Most aren't even on here at all. (fwiw - using the phone isn't ideal for the site, as ya probably know now).
 
I was thinking that haha. I have had nothing but positive feedback experiences after being accepted in Feb. I spoke with financial aid a couple weeks back because I was really concerned with how loans work. She took about 20 minutes on the phone and thoroughly explained how financial aid works for graduate school and exactly how much I’ll be able to take out in fafsa and graduate plus loans. I was extremely relieved after that phone call. I also have heard positive feedback from current medical students saying that OU would never jeopardize their high reputation over a curriculum change. How students perform on step 1 and 2 directly impact OU’s reputation and funding. I do not think they will leave us out to dry completely. I will know more soon after the preview day for admitted students April5th when they should be discussing our curriculum and academic schedule. Also they are changing the laws on how medical schools report “match” data ..basically making it more clear about who matched top choice and who has to SOAP. This is a good change and will make it easier for pre-med students to pick a school. My point though is with that change, OU will not be making changes that will make their students bomb their board exams and thus not match to their preferred residency programs. I do listen to the concerns and take it into consideration, but I do think there is some hearsay going on as well. The admissions board have reached out to me and said if I have ANY questions at all regarding curriculum changes I can ask away. That came from the director of admissions too.. anyways that’s my two cents on the matter.
I suspect accepted students are indeed having a better experience than those waitlisted. But how a school treats waitlisted students also matters and may reveal more about the school, especially here where they’ve placed so many on it. And I’ve also seen students on here say that the information that conflicts with what admissions says is “hearsay” (I don’t think that means what you think it means) - for example, admissions flatly denied that any students at their tours received their OU admissions score, while I can specifically say that they did bc I was one of them. So, I don’t place a lot of faith in what admissions says now. It’s great that you’re accepted. I was waitlisted but have acceptances from two other schools and will be choosing one of those. But prior to minimizing the experience of not only those waitlisted but also, applicants in general this year, considering context might be important.
 
I want to offer a different point of view. I have only heard positive comments from current students, past students, and professors. OUCOM is an incredible school for SO many reasons. The faculty truly care about you and want you to succeed. When I originally heard about the new curriculum, I was very nervous to be the first class with this new curriculum. I have also spoken with current professors and physicians who are very involved with OUCOM, and they are all so excited for this new curriculum. Numerous close friends who are current students have told me how much better it will be for this new class, and they wish they had it this curriculum. Physicians (some involved with OU, some not) have informed me that this new curriculum will help immensely with matching into competitive residencies, and this is why so many schools are switching to this type of curriculum. I hate seeing all of the negativity, so I just wanted to let people know what I have heard about this school and new curriculum.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to offer a different point of view. I have only heard positive comments from current students, past students, and professors. OUCOM is an incredible school for SO many reasons. The faculty truly care about you and want you to succeed. When I originally heard about the new curriculum, I was very nervous to be the first class with this new curriculum. I have also spoken with current professors and physicians who are very involved with OUCOM, and they are all so excited for this new curriculum. Numerous close friends who are current students have told me how much better it will be for this new class, and they wish they had it this curriculum. Physicians (some involved with OU, some not) have informed me that this new curriculum will help immensely with matching into competitive residencies, and this is why so many schools are switching to this type of curriculum. I hate seeing all of the negativity, so I just wanted to let people know what I have heard about this school and new curriculum.
All well and good but when you treat applicants, and those on your WL, like hot garbage ... it speaks volumes.
 
Is this 4D chess to get people to leave the waitlist? 🤔
Uh seriously, I was writing this on here to help you guys about what is going on from my sister's perspective who goes to OU behind the doors. I was just trying to be real and genuine and helpful. That is rude of you to say after typing all this out to inform others.
 
Last edited:
I think both sides have weight to them. Of course those who plan to attend OU in the fall want to have faith in the program; and those waitlisted will rightfully be frustrated. There may be issues with OU, but it is unlikely next years class will be completely screwed over. As with any change, there are growing pains and controversy. We can only hope that the preview day will give us peace of mind and clarity as to what the future of OU Med entails.
 
I think it is also important to note that the changes they are making to clinical years is also going into effect for class of 2028. My friend who is an MS1 currently did say he will be seeing these changes to his clinical years. Soo yes we will be guinea pigs for the pre-clinical education changes but not for the rotation changes..which seems very comforting. That being said, I have 1 other acceptance I am holding until after I hear what they have to say at preview day, so I understand the worry and have spent a lot of time thinking about it all. I do wish they would be more transparent with the waitlist from what I’ve read on here. There should be a large movement after April 30th when people commit to schools they have acceptances at on AMCAS.
 
Is this 4D chess to get people to leave the waitlist? 🤔
Also, I have already fully committed to my dream MD school in Texas and have withdrawn from all my waitlists including OU. No secret agenda here, just being transparent according to what my sister said was happening. If what you are accusing me for is the case, just because you were accepted, I wouldn’t waste my time posting in this group chat--I'm just sharing what I know since I feel that everyone deserves to know what is going on and thought that it would be helpful to keep in mind for all of you guys! I wish everyone best of luck!
 
Last edited:
Also, I have already fully committed to my dream MD school in Texas and have withdrawn from all my waitlists including OU. No secret agenda here, just being transparent according to what my sister said was happening. If what you are accusing me for is the case, just because you were accepted, I wouldn’t waste my time posting in this group chat--I'm just sharing what I know since I feel that everyone deserves to know what is going on and thought that it would be helpful to keep in mind for all of you guys! I wish everyone best of luck!
All good info helps. Transparency is way preferable to the confusion and occlusion of this cycle at OU for sure. Like you, I am not interested in OU anymore and elsewhere-bound. I have several friends stuck on that WL though, who definitely deserve better treatment. Best to ya!
 
I said something similar earlier, but will say again after seeing this past month's posts. The negativity is surprising to me. I have had nothing but amazing interactions with every aspect of the OU COM staff and students. With the concern of the new curriculum, I would encourage everyone to do their own research. Everything they are implementing has been done at other schools and has worked, allowing students to perform better on STEP 2. Many schools have used the reverse lecture scholar rx modules, multiple schools have their curriculum where you take STEP 1 & 2 within 6 months of each other. It is scary because it is new, but it is clear what their purpose is with this new curriculum and admitted student makeup: they are trying to make the school more prestigious by following the footsteps of some of the cutting edge, top 50 schools.
 
Chasing “prestige” (esp when done so abruptly and by the sole MD school in the state and a public school as well) is not a mission worth pursuing when it involves the going’s on of this cycle. It is also no excuse for treating so many applicants so poorly. The “negativity” is well earned. The facts speak for themselves.
I mean I don't think they're "chasing" anything, they are simply doing it. The curriculum seems to be pushing to keep people around the midwest and oklahoma in particular too. I had no bad experience during the app process with them, so I can't speak on that part. But saying the facts speak for themselves to support this massive level of negativity isn't right fr.
 
I mean I don't think they're "chasing" anything, they are simply doing it. The curriculum seems to be pushing to keep people around the midwest and oklahoma in particular too. I had no bad experience during the app process with them, so I can't speak on that part. But saying the facts speak for themselves to support this massive level of negativity isn't right fr.
The app process this year was unbelievable, including the admissions department blatantly lying to people and now add to that the way they’ve treated people on the waitlist. I’ve fully committed elsewhere but can say the negativity here was well earned.
 
These are some stats from the Preview Day powerpoint they shared with us:
Class of 2029 (as of 03/12/25): Avg MCAT: 511(OK res: 509, OOS: 514)....GPA: 3.85(not much variation between IS and OOS)
People offered interviews: MCAT: (OK Res 508, OOS: 512.).. GPA: IS: 3.8, OOS: 3.79
Applicants as a whole: MCAT: 502, GPA : (IS: 3.73, OOS: 3.61)

2590 People applied this year (338 OK residents, and 2252 OOS)
628 were offered interviews (200 OK residents, 428 OOS)
216 seats offered ( 125 OK residents, 91 OOS)...around 58% OK residents.
 
These are some stats from the Preview Day powerpoint they shared with us:
Class of 2029 (as of 03/12/25): Avg MCAT: 511(OK res: 509, OOS: 514)....GPA: 3.85(not much variation between IS and OOS)
People offered interviews: MCAT: (OK Res 508, OOS: 512.).. GPA: IS: 3.8, OOS: 3.79
Applicants as a whole: MCAT: 502, GPA : (IS: 3.73, OOS: 3.61)

2590 People applied this year (338 OK residents, and 2252 OOS)
628 were offered interviews (200 OK residents, 428 OOS)
216 seats offered ( 125 OK residents, 91 OOS)...around 58% OK residents

I thought Oklahoma law required each medical school class (for OU & OSU both) to have at least 75% OK residents. Did they mention anything about that at the preview day when they were talking about the current stat only being 58% OK residents? I assume they probably didn’t mention it but figure it’s worth an ask.
 
Last edited:
I thought Oklahoma law required each medical school class (for OU & OSU both) to have at least 75% OK residents. Did they mention anything about that at the preview day when they were talking about the current stat only being 58% OK residents? I assume they probably didn’t mention it but figure it’s worth an ask.
They don't have to do that anymore I think.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I do not believe they have to do this anymore as of this year. I don’t really support that decision, but we can just hope OK residents come back to practice in OK once they complete residency.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I said something similar earlier, but will say again after seeing this past month's posts. The negativity is surprising to me. I have had nothing but amazing interactions with every aspect of the OU COM staff and students. With the concern of the new curriculum, I would encourage everyone to do their own research. Everything they are implementing has been done at other schools and has worked, allowing students to perform better on STEP 2. Many schools have used the reverse lecture scholar rx modules, multiple schools have their curriculum where you take STEP 1 & 2 within 6 months of each other. It is scary because it is new, but it is clear what their purpose is with this new curriculum and admitted student makeup: they are trying to make the school more prestigious by following the footsteps of some of the cutting edge, top 50 schools.
I am about to graduate. I definitely agree with this take. This new curriculum is quickly becoming the new standard across the country. It is one i truly believe will be more beneficial for future students. It should make boards “easier/better” and I think the increased clinical exposure will make better physicians.
 
I am about to graduate. I definitely agree with this take. This new curriculum is quickly becoming the new standard across the country. It is one i truly believe will be more beneficial for future students. It should make boards “easier/better” and I think the increased clinical exposure will make better physicians.
I will say the professor who spoke about the curriculum at Preview Day alleviated a lot of my uncertainties. I spoke with a few other peers and they agreed with that as well. The professor who spoke was the person in charge of implementing this curriculum and he was extremely knowledgeable of the changes and sounded extremely confident. I think it will be a nice change to spending hours and hours listening to lectures. It seems it will be much more active learning. Additionally, the core science classes (genetics, pharmacology, etc) will be combined into systems based classes..so when we do neuro block, we will learn all the principles of genetics, pharma, molecular bio, etc that apply to neurology.
 
The issue for me has never been the curriculum. It’s the bait and switch they pulled mid cycle here and the detrimental reliance by Oklahomans applying to their state school … the untruths and confusion the school fomented with disrespect/disregard to most applicants. The t shirts…and the way admissions criteria flipped to the interviews more than merit and effort and how some folks were told their scores and then the school denied it like a gaslighting. The treatment of those now rotting away for good on an apparently excessive WL and not being treated decently when asking about it ….not sending R’s now when they know they won’t touch that list much … Inexcusably poor conduct. If this is how they win their prestige, then the heck with prestige and rather be elsewhere. Good luck to all who stick around. Just please understand that this year there will be /has been now an Okie future doctor diaspora where odds are quite a few of us will not be coming back.
 
Last edited:
Hey folks!

Just wanted to share a quick heads-up as an MS3 who’s currently at OU and works pretty closely with admissions. I learned this morning that there are only FIVE spots left for this year’s total matriculating class (201 total), and they’re waiting to hear back from a few people out of the 16 additional people they accepted in January to fill those final spots (they’ve sent out 216 acceptances total). They haven’t touched the waitlist yet — and right now, there are over 210 people on it.

If you’re holding other A’s and are on the waitlist, now’s a good time to start seriously considering and committing to those. And if OU was your only shot this cycle, it might be worth starting to think about next steps for reapplying. I know that’s not easy to hear, and I’m really sorry — I hate how brutal this process can be.

Just wanted to be transparent and hopefully help you make the best decision for yourself moving forward.

You’ve got this, no matter what. 💙
 
Hey folks!

Just wanted to share a quick heads-up as an MS3 who’s currently at OU and works pretty closely with admissions. I learned this morning that there are only FIVE spots left for this year’s total matriculating class (201 total), and they’re waiting to hear back from a few people out of the 16 additional people they accepted in January to fill those final spots (they’ve sent out 216 acceptances total). They haven’t touched the waitlist yet — and right now, there are over 210 people on it.

If you’re holding other A’s and are on the waitlist, now’s a good time to start seriously considering and committing to those. And if OU was your only shot this cycle, it might be worth starting to think about next steps for reapplying. I know that’s not easy to hear, and I’m really sorry — I hate how brutal this process can be.

Just wanted to be transparent and hopefully help you make the best decision for yourself moving forward.

You’ve got this, no matter what. 💙
Thanks for keeping us updated.

Are the spots currently taken ones that people used the AAMC Plan to Enroll function for and not the Commit to Enroll function since the latter doesn't open until April 30? If so, isn't there a chance that when April 30 comes around, more spots will open up as people narrow down to one school?

Also, do you know why OU prioritized out-of-state students this year more than in previous years? I'm trying to understand their rationale behind accepting 42% out-of-state students compared to last year when they accepted only ~9%, especially with the doctor shortage in Oklahoma already being low. That means that ~72 in-state students on the waitlist would have been accepted this cycle had OU kept the same ratio of in-state to out-of-state students as last year. As someone with a Lizzy M. score of 70.4 who has wanted to go to OU med practically their entire life, I'm trying to reconcile this decision as I sit on a waitlist of 210 people probably in similar boats.

I hope this doesn't come across as disrespectful or unappreciative, but I would really appreciate any insight you may have.
 
Hey, thank you again for your thoughtful message. As someone currently working with OU’s admissions team, I will offer as much clarity as I can based on what we’re actively seeing. While the “Commit to Enroll” option doesn’t open until April 30, I want to be transparent in saying that they are not expecting any real waitlist movement this cycle, even after that date.

Here’s why:

Last year, only about 125 students had selected “Plan to Enroll” by April 30 for a class size of ~188. That meant nearly 60 seats were still unclaimed heading into May, and that’s why AMCAS data shows ~55 students got in off the waitlist. There was simply more room to fill.

This year is very different. As of now, OU has already sent out 216 acceptances for a class size of 201, and only five spots remain, the other 196 are currently held by students who have already selected “Plan to Enroll” for OU and they are still waiting for five of the 16 extra students they accepted to select the final spots. Based on everything we’re seeing, we don’t anticipate those students giving up their seats.

Even after April 30, when “Commit to Enroll” becomes available, movement is rare. Last year, only 4 students gave up their seats after April 30, that’s just 2.1% of the class. The vast majority of waitlist movement occurred before that date for last year and past years too. So while there’s technically still a very small window, the odds of any meaningful waitlist movement are extremely low this time around.

I know how hard this process is, especially when you’ve worked so hard and feel a strong connection to a particular school. You’re absolutely not alone, and I hope this context helps you make informed decisions moving forward. As for the shift in out-of-state acceptances, that’s a completely valid observation. From what I’ve learned through internal discussions, this year’s increase in out-of-state offers was part of a broader effort to diversify the class in terms of geographic background and educational pathways. Their main rationale was that admitting more out-of-state students can enrich the academic environment, broaden OU’s national presence, and improve its rankings since OU got serious money this past year. I really hope this gives you some clarity, even if it’s not the answer you were hoping for! You got this, future doctor. All the best to you all! 💙
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anything for OKC campus?
Just the FIVE (5) spots thus far (per the friendly, helpful med student who just joined and says he/she works closely with Admissions) ... and a lot of hopey/copey on here suddenly...but still nothing to those on the WL of course. OKC WL'ers may as well write this school off for this cycle and be pleasantly surprised by a miracle at best if this is where they want to still go or have no other options left.
 
Or the OKC one is full, and the only movement is at the Tulsa campus lol
Can actually see that being the case 100%, sadly. Fascinated at new posters being all down on any non-OU Med-Cheerleader observations recently. Where y'all been this cycle anyway... hanging out on S.L. Young Blvd maybe... hmm? Can't flip the scoreboard to change the 2024-2025 admission cycle facts and stats... Res Ipsa Loquitur, folks.
 
Last edited:
Moderator reminder
Opinions about the application process are fair game but personal attacks on each other will get you a warning or a ban from this thread.
A few of these posts have been deleted
The "ignore" button is also handy if everything another poster says makes you angry.