2024-2025 Oklahoma

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone want to call admissions and ask how many people were on the waitlist this year? some of my friends that applied to OU from previous years said they did this and they ended up telling them the total amount of people on there, but not their specific position. from this forum alone, it sure seems like quite a bit, at least more than previous cycles.
To be fair, this thread has 14 pages this year and hasn't had more than 4 in the past, so more people may have just known about SDN or we are just yappers this year.
 
To be fair, this thread has 14 pages this year and hasn't had more than 4 in the past, so more people may have just known about SDN or we are just yappers this year.
I think the controversy and frustration over the timeline and certain decisions made by the admissions office generated more conversation this year. Although this is my only application cycle, so I have no frame of reference.
 
FWIW, friend’s girlfriend who also applied had called. Anxious and heartbroken WL’er says is prob hopeless but she absolutely loves the school. Anyway, said couldn’t get any info re waitlist.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know in the waitlist email it says they don't release waitlist positions to anyone (lame) but does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist currently?
 
I know in the waitlist email it says they don't release waitlist positions to anyone (lame) but does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist currently?
We likely won’t know the exact number unless they tell us during the workshop tomorrow. Last year, the waitlist was supposedly 60, with 55 getting in. If that's accurate, it would make sense for them to increase the waitlist this year, just food for thought.
 
We likely won’t know the exact number unless they tell us during the workshop tomorrow. Last year, the waitlist was supposedly 60, with 55 getting in. If that's accurate, it would make sense for them to increase the waitlist this year, just food for thought.
Would you mind reporting back if they release this information? I'm signed up for the workshop in March, so I'm twiddling my thumbs until then
 
My reviewer who did my 1:1 feedback session at the reapplicant workshop just right now told me that they waitlisted over 185 people this year for this cycle, and that a lot more people than they thought have already accepted their position on the AMCAS tool that opened today on 2/19. They also told me they interviewed exactly 613 people. They told me they waitlisted this many people due to the increase in out of state applicants that they “thought were going to matriculate elsewhere”.

In the main info session, they said that there were around 220 total acceptance calls they made. For them to waitlist over 185 is absolutely ridiculous. Apparently last cycle, the waitlist was only 60 people.

Thought I would just share this with all of you since it adds some clarification to our uncertainties. Seems like waitlist will not be generous this cycle from what I got from the workshop.
 
yeah I can verify that what you said was true. my reviewer told me that as well 🙁 OU really did screw people over this cycle, planning on committing somewhere else now (and yes i was WL), i'm done with them wasting our time. wishing you all the best
Best of luck to you, my friend. Glad you will land somewhere and hopefully at a place that isn’t utterly clueless and callous like OU was this cycle.
 
Some info from their reapplicant session:
- They sent out 222 acceptances this year, but are going to let it trickle down to 202 before they start working through the waitlist.
- The PREview scores does not hold weight in the final decisions
 
yeah i would also like to add that my reviewer said that admissions told her they do not anticipate the waitlist to move as much as previous years, due to way more applicants and that this year, they have already sent out 20 more acceptances to people before they even touch the people on the waitlist.
 
Unfortunately, if your 1-on-1 was earlier, you probably missed this, but they said the waitlist right now is currently at 350 people, and from the other statistics they gave us, that means only 56 people got post II R's. So, sadly, the MSAR data from last year is super misleading.
 
Unfortunately, if your 1-on-1 was earlier, you probably missed this, but they said the waitlist right now is currently at 350 people, and from the other statistics they gave us, that means only 56 people got post II R's. So, sadly, the MSAR data from last year is super misleading.
oh wow, they said that??? then it's even worse than what my reviewer said it was. over 350 is RIDICULOUS for a class that is only max 202 people. considering they only interviewed 300 people last cycle for 188 spots, chances from the waitlist this cycle are extremely extremely small then.

from what i got from it, they said if you are waitlisted, assume you are rejected and prepare for next cycle if you have not received any other offers. i'm committing somewhere else, i'm done with their bull****
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So they're essentially using the WL as a soft R this cycle? Strange.

Oh well, what can you do. Makes me scared for my other WLs because my understanding of Waitlist status, based on other people's experiences with them, was that if you're on 2-3 waitlists then chances of one of them materializing into an A is pretty high. Now I don't know anymore.
 
Heard they were pretty smug and a tad defensive in the Zoom this week and already grifting ahead with the focus on reapplying and the next cycle. Tone deaf. I know folks who are definitely not going to reapply and put themselves through it again with OU. It is just a shame there likely won’t be any accountability for the really poor decision making and poor planning, by the fancy new Dean Dr. D. and Asst Dean and equally fancy new AMA Council Member Dr. B., and/or whoever else was constantly moving goal posts and calling the shots this cycle bc they managed to nearly destroy the process for tax paying Oklahomans. Having over-offered and also making a WL larger than your total entering class size really makes one wonder about the future of medicine at OU and this institutions’s role as the sole MD school in the state.
 
Last edited:
I hope I'm not the only one who is skeptical about the waitlist actually being 350 people. I understand they've historically had a high turnover rate of accepted students but having a waitlist nearly twice the size of the matriculating class is nonsense. Have we heard this directly from the admissions board or is it just a rumor flying around?
 
I hope I'm not the only one who is skeptical about the waitlist actually being 350 people. I understand they've historically had a high turnover rate of accepted students but having a waitlist nearly twice the size of the matriculating class is nonsense. Have we heard this directly from the admissions board or is it just a rumor flying around?
One of the admissions directors said it during the reapplication workshop
 
This is 100% for me and self serving venting, but OSU has treated me so well in the application cycle (not overpromising with timelines and getting info back in a timely manner, incredible in-person interview with multiple people (even fed us lunch!), and just general transparency) that I am so turned off by OU. I understand the whole MD vs DO concern and opportunity cost depending on specialty interest, but goodness has this cycle left a sour taste in my mouth. I am so sorry to everyone that also bet on in state bias at our ONE in state MD school. Best of luck to you all—we will all be doctors soon enough. <3
 
Hi all,

I'm currently deciding between Oklahoma and one other school. I don't really know too much about OU, and I was wondering what anyone who goes there or has experience with them knows about it. Do you enjoy it there? How is the staff? Does OU have a good rep nationally?

Thanks!
 
Hi all,

I'm currently deciding between Oklahoma and one other school. I don't really know too much about OU, and I was wondering what anyone who goes there or has experience with them knows about it. Do you enjoy it there? How is the staff? Does OU have a good rep nationally?

Thanks!
Congrats on a successful cycle. OU announced a whole new program, incl handling of admissions, part way into this cycle. You can read the prior posts on here as the cycle unfolded for more info. The curriculum approach will be completely different than before. FWIW, I went with another choice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Out of curiosity, did anyone else receive an email from OUHSC about their FAFSA being received on March 17th despite being on the WL? Didn't say anything about an actual award amount just that there was no other action needed to be taken at this time. Could very much be an automated email though not meaning anything...
 
This is 100% for me and self serving venting, but OSU has treated me so well in the application cycle (not overpromising with timelines and getting info back in a timely manner, incredible in-person interview with multiple people (even fed us lunch!), and just general transparency) that I am so turned off by OU. I understand the whole MD vs DO concern and opportunity cost depending on specialty interest, but goodness has this cycle left a sour taste in my mouth. I am so sorry to everyone that also bet on in state bias at our ONE in state MD school. Best of luck to you all—we will all be doctors soon enough. <3
Honestly have had the exact same experience and feelings this cycle. Totally understand where you’re coming from
 
Out of curiosity, did anyone else receive an email from OUHSC about their FAFSA being received on March 17th despite being on the WL? Didn't say anything about an actual award amount just that there was no other action needed to be taken at this time. Could very much be an automated email though not meaning anything...
I also did, yes.
 
Yes I am VERY skeptical about that.

I would NOT put any hope into the waitlist at all to be honest. During the reapplicant workshop, they mentioned admitting 20 more people than the 202-person class size this year—meaning they’ll consider those individuals first before addressing the waitlist.
My sister is a current M2 at OU-Tulsa and she got confirmation that there were currently 200 people on the WL
 
I've seen a lot of negativity on this page and just wanted to give an experience from the opposite POV. I had nothing but positive interactions with the people on admissions, my interviewers, and the people that gave me a tour. They have been very lenient with me in planning a visit there. They have been very straightforward in their expectations for me and what the next steps are. I'm sorry so many others have had a bad experience with OU, but thought I'd give a different opinion