This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstrive27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have quite a story haha
I completed my associates degree with my high school diploma and my grades were not too great, I had multiple B's and C's and failed 2 classes (General Chem 2 and College Algebra)

I continued onto university and I failed General Chem 2 again and Physics 1
I have retook gen chem 2 and received a C
3 semesters of university were terrible my gpa tanked, not sure how far but I would assume 2.8 ish

I am currently a Junior applying to med schools this summer.
so first 3 semesters I had like a 2.8 because of personal problems and my friend died and my life was a huge mess. but the last 2 semesters have been great! I got 4.0 both semesters. and hope to get a 4.0 in spring as well.

I plan on graduating this spring, but Im not sure if i should? Should I stay senior year and improve gpa? OR would it not matter since i will be applying to schools this summer?

I took MCAT this past august and got a 521 which is like 39? on the old MCAT (by some websites i checked comparing the scores)

I have a year of research, 2500 hours in volunteering at nonprofit clinic (YEs I know doesn't sound real but it was honestly my happy place since high school), I privately tutored for gen chem, geometry, and calculus 1. I worked at a scribe for a year and as a teacher's assistant for a year as well (I loved designing and creating things for the school and students- not medical i know but i enjoyed it) I had some great doctors and teachers lined up for recommendation letters.

Am I competitive enough to get in? I would prefer MD but DO is definitely an option!
I was hoping to apply to 10 top tier schools, 20 mid tier, and 10 lower tier. Is that smart? I am so afraid I won't get in anywhere and I dont want to reapply ;(
Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a pretty similar application. 518 MCAT but 3.4 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA. Strong upward trend on the GPA and lots of work/volunteer/research experience.

Worked out very well for me! More interviews than I could afford to attend and a couple of acceptances already in hand.

I do recommend applying broadly. I got rejected from schools I thought for sure I would get IIs from and I got IIs from schools SDN would have laughed in my face for applying to.

Reactions: 9 users
Hello!

I have quite a story haha
I completed my associates degree with my high school diploma and my grades were not too great, I had multiple B's and C's and failed 2 classes (General Chem 2 and College Algebra)

I continued onto university and I failed General Chem 2 again and Physics 1
I have retook gen chem 2 and received a C
3 semesters of university were terrible my gpa tanked, not sure how far but I would assume 2.8 ish

I am currently a Junior applying to med schools this summer.
so first 3 semesters I had like a 2.8 because of personal problems and my friend died and my life was a huge mess. but the last 2 semesters have been great! I got 4.0 both semesters. and hope to get a 4.0 in spring as well.

I plan on graduating this spring, but Im not sure if i should? Should I stay senior year and improve gpa? OR would it not matter since i will be applying to schools this summer?

I took MCAT this past august and got a 521 which is like 39? on the old MCAT (by some websites i checked comparing the scores)

I have a year of research, 2500 hours in volunteering at nonprofit clinic (YEs I know doesn't sound real but it was honestly my happy place since high school), I privately tutored for gen chem, geometry, and calculus 1. I worked at a scribe for a year and as a teacher's assistant for a year as well (I loved designing and creating things for the school and students- not medical i know but i enjoyed it) I had some great doctors and teachers lined up for recommendation letters.

Am I competitive enough to get in? I would prefer MD but DO is definitely an option!
I was hoping to apply to 10 top tier schools, 20 mid tier, and 10 lower tier. Is that smart? I am so afraid I won't get in anywhere and I dont want to reapply ;(
Any tips?

mid tiers will love you

Members don't see this ad :)
Any research experience? If you have some/can get some I think you'd need to devise a careful list for MD with the help of some members and outside sources. DO is definitely an option. You'll be a doctor one day, the route you take is gonna depend on how patient and willing you are to tailor and improve your ECs. You're in great shape for DO as it is though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have a pretty similar application. 518 MCAT but 3.4 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA. Strong upward trend on the GPA and lots of work/volunteer/research experience.

Worked out very well for me! More interviews than I could afford to attend and a couple of acceptances already in hand.

I do recommend applying broadly. I got rejected from schools I thought for sure I would get IIs from and I got IIs from schools SDN would have laughed in my face for applying to.

Omg that is so nice to read! I'm so glad it worked out for you! Did you apply your junior year as well?

Thank you! would you mind answering how you worked with your LizzyM score to get into medical school? Very inspirational

I had around a 3.5 GPA... 3.2 my first two years of college and 3.8+ the rest of the way.. I applied after my senior year, which allowed my GPA to continue to rise. You may want to do this as your senior year grades will have a nice affect on your GPA and two years of an upward trend is much better than one.

I scored lower on the MCAT than you, so that definitely will carry a lot of weight for you. Besides that, just create an interesting and unique narrative about yourself (that is what I tried to do to compensate for my lower stats). The 2.5k hours you have at a non profit sounds really interesting and tells a lot about you!

If I was you, I would wait to apply until after senior year and get your grades up, continue working at things you are passionate about, and educate yourself on this process as much as you can so you can be a successful applicant!. You have a great MCAT score, and you can maximize this if you wait to apply and bring up your GPA!

Reactions: 1 users
Omg that is so nice to read! I'm so glad it worked out for you! Did you apply your junior year as well?

Na I applied several years after college.

In your shoes I think I might suggest holding off on applying until you have a few more semesters of great grades. You want to demonstrate that the past is truly behind you.

Na I applied several years after college.

In your shoes I think I might suggest holding off on applying until you have a few more semesters of great grades. You want to demonstrate that the past is truly behind you.
+1

I had around a 3.5 GPA... 3.2 my first two years of college and 3.8+ the rest of the way.. I applied after my senior year, which allowed my GPA to continue to rise. You may want to do this as your senior year grades will have a nice affect on your GPA and two years of an upward trend is much better than one.

I scored lower on the MCAT than you, so that definitely will carry a lot of weight for you. Besides that, just create an interesting and unique narrative about yourself (that is what I tried to do to compensate for my lower stats). The 2.5k hours you have at a non profit sounds really interesting and tells a lot about you!

If I was you, I would wait to apply until after senior year and get your grades up, continue working at things you are passionate about, and educate yourself on this process as much as you can so you can be a successful applicant!. You have a great MCAT score, and you can maximize this if you wait to apply and bring up your GPA!

Thank You! I was really hoping to apply this cycle, I honestly didn't want a gap year ;( I have a 4.0 from 2nd semester sophomore year, 4.0 for 8 credits over that summer, 4.0 all of junior year too. If i do apply and still have a 4.0 while (hopefully) attending interviews, will they care? OR would the adcoms even give me a second glance with only 4 semesters of 4.0 instead of 6?

Any research experience? If you have some/can get some I think you'd need to devise a careful list for MD with the help of some members and outside sources. DO is definitely an option. You'll be a doctor one day, the route you take is gonna depend on how patient and willing you are to tailor and improve your ECs. You're in great shape for DO as it is though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I do have a year of experience in research as an assistant in my university biology lab. Any suggestions on schools? I am a texas resident so I will be applying to all the schools here! I do want to try to reach an MD school, but DO is for sure on my list.

Only 5% of TX applicants are able to get into MD schools outside of TX, and so your best chances will be in TX.

I do have a year of experience in research as an assistant in my university biology lab. Any suggestions on schools? I am a texas resident so I will be applying to all the schools here! I do want to try to reach an MD school, but DO is for sure on my list.