This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nintendraw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I fare if I am/have:

Asian, female, CA resident, UCLA
3.5 cumulative GPA
3.3 science GPA
upwards GPA trend
515 MCAT (127-128-129-131)
applying to MD and DO schools
trilingual
4-yr merit scholarship
2.5 yrs hospital volunteering (patient contact)
2 yrs research + poster session + published OR pending publication
2 yrs leadership
1 yr work
2 yrs other community service

I'll apply for entry in June 2018, and my gap year will be spent shadowing at a very, VERY busy DO's private clinic; it'll probably only get busier as he's trying to expand his business to include more doctors/specialties under one roof. Judging from what happened last time I was there, I'd be involved in patient contact (e.g rooming patients, taking vital signs, assisting with procedures), clerical/medical assistant work, and scribing (EHR).

Questions:
-Can I call it 3 years research if the first year was mostly spent editing pre-submission papers and grant proposals?
-I just checked the AAMCAS/AACOMAS app deadlines, and the former's December ones scare me--is that all for students aiming to enter June 2017?

For UCLA students:
-Does Dean's Honor List help much? I got it two quarters ago and SO narrowly missed it last quarter. Drat. I'll probably try getting it again for all 3 quarters this year.
-Poking back through my post history, I was replied to once that LS 192A/B gets you teaching experience and a letter of rec (co-signed by TA and professor). In-class, the UA supervisor told me that teaching experience could be described as work and/or leadership experience (yay! but wait, either/or or both?) and that "the best UAs (by student evals) get LORs". Somehow when I first saw that old post, I'd assumed the letter was guaranteed--it's not, is it? (I wouldn't be surprised--after all, that letter wouldn't mean much if everyone got it XD)

Answered:
-College classes taken during high school DO count into the GPA.
-Different organizations volunteering are counted separately. (Derp.)
-Volunteering/Work is counted by days or hours.
-Babysitting doesn't count for anything at this level. (Of course.)
-Regents is a scholarship; it should help.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Questions:
-Do college classes taken during high school count into the GPA? (I assume not?)
-The NREMT cert will expire this March--can I still list it on my app? (I haven't exactly used it though...)
-Can I call it 3 years research if the first year was mostly spent editing pre-submission papers and grant proposals?
-I'm lumping my volunteering/work into # years, but if I volunteered/worked at different organizations during a given year, is each counted separately?
-Are volunteering/work counted by days or hours? (I'm certain during the gap year, I'll be working 9 hours a day, 5-7 days a week. I forget if he takes Sundays off--and even if he did, there's a possibility he won't anymore.)
-Does babysitting count for anything at this level? (I know I'll be helping take care of the DO's kids XD)
-I just checked the AAMCAS/AACOMAS app deadlines, and the former's December ones scare me--is that all for students aiming to enter June 2017?
-I haven't compiled a school list yet (will use Wedge's Excel sheet and MSAR to help me), but feel free to recommend specific schools for me to check out!
- ^ I was thinking of applying to 25-30 MDs and up to 15 DOs (7-8 DOs in the West + whichever ones email me something like KCU-COM did)--reasonable, or no? (And my mom was all like "Apply to all 30 DO schools (on top of the MDs)!"...)

I'll just answer what I know:

College classes taken during highschool do count
EMT cert, without working/volunteering on an ambulance, is pretty useless. Why did you invest the time getting the cert if you didn't plan on using it?
I wouldn't list babysitting, unless it was an actual job (payed taxes on it, did it professionally, better title than babysitter, etc.)

You might get more responses if you only give 1 set of stats (not current, followed by anticipated) and only ask a couple of question (preferably, ones that haven't been answered already).

When are you applying? I'm confused because you mention AMCAS December cutoff. What is your cGPA and sGPA with the classes taken in high school included? If you haven't used the NREMT certificate why would you mention it? And I wouldn't mention the babysitting. Is it part of your responsibilities as a DO shadow? If you don't list your volunteering at different organizations I'm not sure how it could be counted separately. Keep in mind that even though you plan to raise your GPAs life happens and you might not be totally successful. Maybe change your numbers in your post so people are working with what you have now just in case. You can always come back and update here.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I updated my post to remove the anticipated information and the NREMT cert (I didn't pass the physical and didn't try again). I also moved out the answered questions; it's down to two per heading. Not sure which of my questions have already been asked (maybe that can be solved by more trawling). I'll update again once I figure out what my GPA would be with the HS college classes factored in (it should go up; they were both 4.0's).

I'm planning on applying in June 2017, to enroll in June 2018. That's the reason the dates are confusing me (some schools sending me MCAT-based invitations and my having drafted a personal statement already don't help)--Should I be worrying about them right now though?

Last edited: