MD 3.8 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 509 (125 C/P) MCAT, IL/AL non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpastry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What Faha said is important because depending on what URM community you are a member of you can apply to substantially more "reach schools" Best of luck this cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What Faha said is important because depending on what URM community you are a member of you can apply to substantially more "reach schools" Best of luck this cycle!

Thank you! Edited my post to reflect that specifically.

Last edited:
Puerto Ricans are indeed considered URM. With your 509 MCAT score you can apply to schools like UChicago etc. Although personally I would construct a list with half of the schools being mid-tier schools to cover your bases. I am naturally risk averse though so other people may tell you to aim for all the big names.

Edit: I would also modify the tile of your post to include URM to potentially attract more individuals to comment on your thread. Best of luck this cycle!

Puerto Ricans are indeed considered URM. With your 509 MCAT score you can apply to schools like UChicago etc. Although personally I would construct a list with half of the schools being mid-tier schools to cover your bases. I am naturally risk averse though so other people may tell you to aim for all the big names.

Edit: I would also modify the tile of your post to include URM to potentially attract more individuals to comment on your thread. Best of luck this cycle!

Thank you!

Some questions:

Would more than half of my current list not be considered mid-tier?

I'm not seeing where you can modify the post title. Am I missing something?

Oh well I meant if you apply to about 20 schools. That's a good amount because too few and you never know what could happen. Most people apply to at least 15 and usually 20.

Click edit on your first post and then click more options, and you should be able to.

Oh well I meant if you apply to about 20 schools. That's a good amount because too few and you never know what could happen. Most people apply to at least 15 and usually 20.

Click edit on your first post and then click more options, and you should be able to.

Editing the post title wasn't available. Might be a Gold privilege? Anyway, reposted with new name. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-509-125-c-p-mcat-il-al-urm-non-trad.1209777/

I hear you on the 20. Husband has career options in either state, so applied to each school that would allow us to unquestionably stay financially afloat, but am now wondering if I shouldn't add, and if so, where I should look to add to the list. Pulling names from the LizzyM generator, I guess.

Thanks again!

If your husband is able to relocate for a job you could add schools such as:
Tufts
Boston University
Einstein
Mount Sinai
GW
Georgetown
St. Louis
For the schools you already applied to they are all reasonable though U Chicago and Northwestern are very competitive for acceptances.

@Goro should be able to help. Sorry I didn't realize you couldn't edit posts. You're only supposed to make one post:/ but it's okay a Mod should help you merge it. @WedgeDawg my apologies for the mixup

If your husband is able to relocate for a job you could add schools such as:
Tufts
Boston University
Einstein
Mount Sinai
GW
Georgetown
St. Louis
For the schools you already applied to they are all reasonable though U Chicago and Northwestern are very competitive for acceptances.

Fantastic. Lots to talk about, then. Thanks so much for taking time to help.

I suggest the following:

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

MCW

St. Louis U

WVU

Jefferson

Tulane

Loyola

U Miami

Wake Forest

EVMS

VCU

Netter

Oakland-B

Western MI

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program, starting with CCOM, MUCOM and DMU

U IL
UAB

I suggest the following:

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

MCW

St. Louis U

WVU

Jefferson

Tulane

Loyola

U Miami

Wake Forest

EVMS

VCU

Netter

Oakland-B

Western MI

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program, starting with CCOM, MUCOM and DMU

U IL
UAB

Even though they are URM? The OP asked if they could apply to schools like UChicago and from what I have seen from other experienced posters, their MCAT score combined with their URM status and other experiences seem to say that would not be unreasonable.

Not all Puertorriquenos are considered URM. If OP has Spanish language skills, 3/4 of the PR schools are also doable.

Even though they are URM? The OP asked if they could apply to schools like UChicago and from what I have seen from other experienced posters, their MCAT score combined with their URM status and other experiences seem to say that would not be unreasonable.

Not all Puertorriquenos are considered URM. If OP has Spanish language skills, 3/4 of the PR schools are also doable.
Oh interesting, I did not know that. I did an SDN search and multiple people said peurto rican was URM, weird.