This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Borderline_Average

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nice work on the upward GPA trend. You do not need anymore shadowing hours at all. I would just try to keep up your volunteer hours before applying
Go ahead and apply to:
Western U-Pomona
Touro-CA
CHSU (new school in Clovis—solid safety for you)
COMP-Northwest
Pacific Northwest
Touro-Nevada
ATSU-SOMA
Midwestern (AZCOM)
RVU-CO and UT
ICOM (also a solid safety)
DMU COM
ATSU KCOM
KCU COM
PCOM (whichever campuses appeal to you)
VCOM (all campuses)
NYITCOM

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your reply!

I noticed PCOM, VCOM and LECOM all have multiple campuses. Are applicants allowed to apply to multiple locations under the same program?
Yes they are. On AACOMAS, you can select whichever locations you prefer. Sometimes you select different locations on the secondary application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, just apply anywhere you want to go. Have 20-25 schools on your list. The only schools that might be difficult stat wise are CCOM, KCU, Campbell, Pomona and the Texas schools.

Reactions: 1 users
You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats. I suggest these schools:
Western
Touro-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
MU-COM
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
ACOM
ARCOM

You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats. I suggest these schools:
Western
Touro-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
MU-COM
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
ACOM
ARCOM

Do DO schools like Nova and PCOM have a regional bias?

Take a good look at the AACOMAS CIB (Student Guide to Osteopathic Medical Colleges - Choose DO) and look at the statistics on in-state/out-of-state first-year enrollment. The General Admissions Requirements (page 15 in the version I have) gives the aggregate MCAT and GPA for matriculants in a given cycle. Metrics-wise you're in a good spot. Now connect with the schools you really want to attend and see if there's anyone like you that they have admitted recently to whom you can talk.

Take a good look at the AACOMAS CIB (Student Guide to Osteopathic Medical Colleges - Choose DO) and look at the statistics on in-state/out-of-state first-year enrollment. The General Admissions Requirements (page 15 in the version I have) gives the aggregate MCAT and GPA for matriculants in a given cycle. Metrics-wise you're in a good spot. Now connect with the schools you really want to attend and see if there's anyone like you that they have admitted recently to whom you can talk.

Thanks for the great reply! I checked out that resource, it has lots of great information. As far as the regional bias; I recently attended a schools virtual tour/presentation and the concept of regional bias came up. It’s important to note that this school has a >80% instate matriculation rate; the representative stated that they have no regional bias and that the numbers of instate matriculants is due to the majority of applicants being from their state. Is this something that schools (aside from Texas) feel inclined to say even though this may not be the case?

Thanks for the great reply! I checked out that resource, it has lots of great information. As far as the regional bias; I recently attended a schools virtual tour/presentation and the concept of regional bias came up. It’s important to note that this school has a >80% instate matriculation rate; the representative stated that they have no regional bias and that the numbers of instate matriculants is due to the majority of applicants being from their state. Is this something that schools (aside from Texas) feel inclined to say even though this may not be the case?
If there is no difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition, chances are there is no in-state preference.