This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karikari

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm pretty new here, but decided to post a thread because I am really not sure what my chances are right now for the 2017-2018 application cycle and also, whether or not I should retake my MCAT. Thanks so much to anyone taking the time to read and reply!

I am a senior at a private university and have just received my MCAT score (taken on September 10th):
C/P 129 (93rd)
CARS 124 (49th) >.<
B/B 128 (87th)
P/S 128 (86th)

Here are some of my other stats:
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.4

Research:
Research Assistant at a Genetics lab
Research Intern for an Environmental Medicine study
Research Intern for an Adult Psychiatry literature review

Clinical:
Volunteer at a Child Psychiatry in-patient unit
Intern at a Neurosurgery clinic
Intern at a Psychiatry clinic
Intern at an Ophthalmology private practice

Volunteer:
Animal shelter volunteer
Organized health education workshops at a middle school

Leadership:
Vice President for a health inequities club
Freshman Representative for a community service club

So that pretty much sums me up. What do you think? How are my chances so far with the info above? Should I retake my MCAT and try to raise my CARS score? If not, how else should I improve my apps? What schools am I looking at (hoping for MD)? Thanks, everyone!

@Goro @gyngyn - Would definitely love your feedback/advice as well! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your state of residence? Are you URM? Do you have a preliminary list of schools you are interested in?
Hi Faha, thanks for replying!

My state of residence is NY. I am Filipino, which to my knowledge, is only counted as an URM at UC Irvine.

I don't have an extensive list of schools I am interested in, but here are a couple that I have been considering:
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
NYMC
Albany
Hofstra
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Georgetown
George Washington

Hofstra and any school in Philly are my top choices!

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good list so include all those schools. Since you are a NY resident you should apply to all 4 SUNY's. Other schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats include:
Rochester
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Penn State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new private schools that open in 2018 (Seton Hall, etc.)
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. You will need to apply to at least 20 schools with your stats.

You have a good list so include all those schools. Since you are a NY resident you should apply to all 4 SUNY's. Other schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats include:
Rochester
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Penn State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new private schools that open in 2018 (Seton Hall, etc.)
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. You will need to apply to at least 20 schools with your stats.
Thanks for the list! I am definitely interested in those schools as well.

However - do you think I have a good chance to be accepted, not just interviewed, at any of those (esp. Hofstra and the Philly Triplets)? Would you recommend me taking my MCAT a second time? How will schools look at my low CARS score (124, 49th)?

You do not need to retake the MCAT since your score is fine for most of those schools. Your CARS score should not be an issue for most of those schools.

You do not need to retake the MCAT since your score is fine for most of those schools. Your CARS score should not be an issue for most of those schools.
Thanks so much for the help!

Hi KariKari! I also received a 509 with the same exact breakdown per section as you. I am still worried about my CARS score and don't know whether or not to retake. Did you have success applying the past cycle ? Specifically to these schools ?

Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Georgetown
George Washington