? About O-Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clairbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I know in general that it usually doesn't help to study in advance, but I've heard a few people say that Organic chemistry was a class where it was a good idea to start learning stuff in the summer. I had proffessor that I'm taking for organic chemisty for general chemistry I, so I'm used to his testing and I like him, but I've heard he hasn't taught organic chemistry in years. I also know that fall semester will be the busier/more stressful part of the year for me.

Did any of you study for o-chem over the summer? Do you feel it helped you or not, and if it did, what did you study with?

Members don't see this ad.

I read the first chapter or two of my book over the summer. The most helpful thing would probably be to start memorizing the names of the functional groups (amine, amide, ester, ether, alkene, phenyl, etc), that way you're not as bogged down in the terminology and can focus more on the conceptual stuff.
PS Organic is AWESOME!!!! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise :D

Organic is indeed an enjoyable class. Functional groups are a good start...as well as knowing the strong/weak acid/bases :)

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of is just doing it/practice problems/applications, at least at my school, so I didn't study ahead and even found it hard to work ahead (but harder still to get behind). Find out what your prof makes you memorize-one of mine gave me all the IR/NMR/Spectroscopy stuff, one didn't. If you wanted to, you could memorise that stuff, and naming compounds, but, really don't bother.

If you feel you'll have all this extra time this summer to work ahead, just spend it making a good notebook for Ochem and other classes to organize your time during the semester if you think you'll be busy, or read ahead or something for a different class. Or, enjoy the calm before the storm.

Or, if you have the same prof from gen chem to ochem, ask him how to prepare.

I definitely did not start studying the summer before. My main reason was because I was taking gen chem 2 the summer before and I really did not feel like it. They also taught all of the names of the groups at the beginning of the class within the first week or two. Then, I did Ochem 2 the next semester so I did not attempt to study the winter before that either.

PS. ApsiringDVM is crazy! Just kidding! Ochem is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but I would never want to have to sit in one of those classes again.

Ugh. I have to take O-chem 1 and 2 this summer (It's on my school's stupid tracking for application to Purdue). A whole year of Organic crammed into 10 weeks. Have I lost my mind? We'll see. ;-)

Honestly, I would use the summer to recharge your batteries a little and maybe gain some good experience versus worrying about studying for a class that hasn't started yet. Every professor is different so unless you can find out what is actually important from a reliable source (ie: prof him/herself) it would probably be a waste time except for getting familiar with the terminology.

I hated O Chem and thought it was every bit as bad as everyone told me it would be but it's over now and I survived. Got C's in both I and II lecture (A's in both the labs) and somehow still got into vet school. I'm just useless when it comes to conceptual mind games like O Chem. Give me good ol' physics and hard math any day!

I agree that organic chem is an enjoyable class. Unless you get a syllabus from the professor, I would never study ahead of time. Reason is all professors will emphasize certain concepts and not even talk about things that other professors might. Even with the functional groups, my class really did not start really using them much until organic II. What I would recommend is just going over the introductory chapters that review concepts already learned in gen chem. Even then, in my opinion I would just spend time volunteering and getting hours in. Your gonna be busy no matter how much you prepare.

I didn't do anything over the summer for o-chem. Well, actually, I took the third course in the series over summer session, but that's not really your drift. I did fine. You have to put a lot of time in, but o-chem is totally doable. I liked it a lot better than general chem.

Flashcards worked wonderfully for me. I did a lot of practice problems at home, but as far as learning the different types of reactions, it really helped me to do flashcards of each type, including electron pushing. Took forever to make those cards, but it paid off in the end.

Organic is awesome! And the labs were pretty cool.

I remember I took Ochem in fall and ordered my book through amazon. It came early and I started reading the first few chapters and got myself familiar with functional group names. I think that definitely helped. My high school chem teacher gave us a good mneumonic device to remember the first 4 carbons - Marvin Eats Peanut Butter. Methyl (1C), Ethyl (2C), Propyl (3C), Butyl (4C). That helped too.

The best part about Organic Chem? My lab teacher wrote a song called the 12 Days of OChem, sung to the 12 days of Christmas. It went over the major addition reactions we studied that semester. The class was during fall, so it was right near Christmas. She even brought in her guitar. It was awesome. Let me know if you want me to type out the lyrics, I still have the paper. :)

Ochem was pretty cool. Didn't enjoy it at the time but in retrospect it wasn't bad.

Also, don't let people psyche you out. I'd always heard Ochem is soooo hard, from friends (who hadn't taken it yet), parents, relatives, random people on the street. It's not bad at all, just a lot of memorization. In Ochem II the synthesis problems are even kind of fun, just as long as you don't forget the individual pieces (again, memorization).

But yah, no reason to study ahead of time. You may just end up studying the wrong stuff and then what? You wasted a summer.

I really enjoyed Orgo, too. Seriously...I got to synthesize the substance found in glow sticks. So cool. Plus, during 2nd semester all the different mechanisms for reactions were like puzzles to me. Yes, I'm a huge dork. :D

As for studying the summer before? Personally I would avoid it and enjoy your summer.

BAAAAH I HATED ORGO!

Sorry, just had to rain on this orgo-lovin' parade. There was no enjoyment here. Zero, zilch, none.

I agree with functional groups, and also learn the methyl, ethyl, propyl, butyl etc. and that will help. But it's not necessary to get a head start.

Members don't see this ad :)
BAAAAH I HATED ORGO!

Sorry, just had to rain on this orgo-lovin' parade. There was no enjoyment here. Zero, zilch, none.

I agree with functional groups, and also learn the methyl, ethyl, propyl, butyl etc. and that will help. But it's not necessary to get a head start.

I'm with TT on this one. I absolutely hated the class, but mostly because of the professor's teaching style. It just did not work for me. I may also be bitter since I was 0.5% away from a B...

Anyway, I decided to try to learn the major concepts a bit better the summer after I took the class and used the Organic Chemistry as a Second Language book. I loved that book and would highly recommend it. I'm planning on using the series again for Organic II this fall.

I did not open my book till the day before classes and it hasnt hurt me. I study a little every night so I dont have to cram, and I actually understand everything just fine. Enjoy your summer there will be plenty of time to study organic...OHHH and I LOVE organic!!!! My fav. class by far!!!

I did not study beforehand. Profs are all different, so I didn't know what to expect. I took the first semester of orgo last semester, and I am currently in my second one, and our school's dreaded 8 hour a week ochem lab.

Is it hard? Yes. Is it a lot of work? Yes. Is it doable? Completely! I managed to find a little pleasure in it (I really like puzzles, and you just have to think of all those "what reagents do you need" problems as puzzles!) and got through first semester with an A. I expect an A in second, as well. ;)

You'll be fine. Don't let other people scare you. Hard work conquers all! :) I think it's hard because a lot of people take it as a sophomore, and probably haven't encountered a class that's so... unintuitive and rigorous? It's very different from anything you've seen before, and you can't "wing it" by any means, so I think that's how it gets its bad rap.

seriously, no need! just start studying diligently once the semester starts and do ALL of the assigned and suggested problems and you're golden. it' kinda like calculus... aimlessly reading the textbook might get you a tad bit ahead... but only enough so that anyone can catch up to you by being meticulous in just the first 2 weeks. and it'll be sooo much less frustrating that way too!

Best way to get down SN1, SN2, E1 and E2 though was this site (that I can no longer find) called the X-rated O'chem study guide. I didn't know this at the time, but apparently it was written by a guy on the pre-allo forum back in 2002. It was hilarious!!! and a work of genius. It's very sad that it no longer exists... i looked everywhere!!!

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh I FOUND IT!!!!

http://blogs.myspace.com/chiragvora

preview: "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Think about it like this. The SN1 substrate is a good girl. She waits until her man has taken off before she finds a new boyfriend. The SN2 substrate is a bad girl. Not only is she not exactly monogamous, but she's up for having her new boyfriend give her the old "backside attack" during a threeway with her old boyfriend. Grossed out and traumatized, her old boyfriend takes off. Now, let's see how we can identify a good girl from a bad girl.".

BAAAAH I HATED ORGO!

I'm with TT on this one. I absolutely hated the class, but mostly because of the professor's teaching style. It just did not work for me. I may also be bitter since I was 0.5% away from a B...

Totally agree with you two. Tied for worst/hardest class with physics. Hated them.
:boom:

preview: "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Think about it like this. The SN1 substrate is a good girl. She waits until her man has taken off before she finds a new boyfriend. The SN2 substrate is a bad girl. Not only is she not exactly monogamous, but she's up for having her new boyfriend give her the old "backside attack" during a threeway with her old boyfriend. Grossed out and traumatized, her old boyfriend takes off. Now, let's see how we can identify a good girl from a bad girl.".

LOL where was THAT when I was taking that damn class?!?

clairbear-
I am taking the ochem series this year and was wondering the same thing last summer. I ended up not worrying about it and so far this year the class has been fine.
Everyone has their own opinion about ochem. Personally I kind-of liked it for my first two terms since I had an awesome professor, but this term it's just ok since my professor is harder to understand.
Like others have said I would memorize functional groups if you want to get a head start. But I think you would probably be fine waiting. For my ochem class it is just a lot of memorizing reactions which you can't really prepare early for so I would recommend you enjoy your summer.

All I have to say is woooooow. That is SO much better than the lame rhymes and songs I made up!

OMG. That is awesome.

I'm re-taking orgo this spring... I'm heading home today for a week and a half. Guess what's coming with me? My old chemistry book! Fun fun. I'm not going to let it kick my butt again.

I second Organic Chemistry as a Second Language. It's amazing.

I would just read the section (short, easy) and do the practice problems before the lecture on the same topic and then pay attention to the nuances that your professor describes. You'll be able to better absorb all of the details when you have the basics down.

I'm not a chemistry genius, but because of this book, Ochem was a breeze. And I only had to use my textbook for practice problems.

I would just read/understand/do the practice problems in the first two sections before the start of class and stay ahead of the lectures for the rest of the semester (no need to read the whole book before starting class).

Good luck! :)

ps: I just emailed that hysterical ochem link (SN1 is a good girl...etc) to my old ochem prof and he nearly peed in his pants laughing!!!

I think I'm definitely going to buy those "as a second language" books. The previews made them look fantastic. I'm taking OChem next year.

I originally took the one semester survey and one semester lab because I was petrified of the class. Needless to say, there aren't too many vet school that accept only the one semester, so I'm taking it again this year. I think it's actually going to be better this time because I've taken Biochem, and now I understand why inderstanding all the stupid mechanisms are semi-useful! :)

I'm super nervous because it's the only class I'm taking and I'm worried that if I don't get A's, the vet schools will go, "OH - you really ARE stupid!!" :eek: (or as Davis so nicely put it: "we wish you the best in your future endeavors")

I'm already planning on getting a tutor and will be using them from the very first week!

If you feel like you absolutely have to do some pre-studying done, I'd suggest:

• Start learning the names of functional groups
  • Review what the pKa of a compound is and what it means
  • Learn the prefixes for nomenclature (meth-, eth-, prop-, but-, etc)
  • Review what nucleophiles and electrophiles are
  • Become familiar with IUPAC naming
  • Practice drawing hexane/phenyl rings ;)
I'm sure there's more you could do, but the first three I listed were the ones I wish I had known prior to going into o-chem. I remember before I took o-chem I thought the hardest part was going to be memorizing the functional groups. Turns out I had never heard of a reaction mechanism before! Don't even try to learn mechanisms before you take the class!

I am about to finish orgo I. All I can say is IUPAC, reaction mechanisms, and Mitch Eats Peanut Butter (methyl, ethyl, propyl, butyl):hungover:

And the Oscar for the best post of the year goes to......
Minnerbelle for her posting on sexy substitution reactions.

That site is amazing.

That site sounds awesome Minnerbelle. I think I'll probably just buy that book you guys were mentioning and learn those groups. Nothing too serious. I'm glad organic isn't too bad for some people after hearing all the horror stories.