This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a freshman in college right now. I would like to know a few stats of accepted MD applicants? I want to know the type of things I should aim for. Right now, I have really good grades, I'm taking Organic Chem Honors over the summer and I do lifeguarding and shadowing at the side. I hope I'm on the right track. I'd like to know what else I could do to improve my chances? In terms of stats, I'd like to know everything GPA, Science GPA, MCAT score, type of research, EC, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteer volunteer volunteer (at local hospital, at a soup kitchen, teaching under represented in middle school/hs)

Members don't see this ad :)
Shoot for 3.7+ and 510+

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, I am a freshman in college right now. I would like to know a few stats of accepted MD applicants? I want to know the type of things I should aim for. Right now, I have really good grades, I'm taking Organic Chem Honors over the summer and I do lifeguarding and shadowing at the side. I hope I'm on the right track. I'd like to know what else I could do to improve my chances? In terms of stats, I'd like to know everything GPA, Science GPA, MCAT score, type of research, EC, etc.
So far it seems you are on the right track! Medical schools do holistic review so they consider many different factors all together. But in general, like a poster above said, I think 3.7+ (if you can, 3.8+) science GPA, 510+ MCAT should be good for stats. For EC's, do what you are passionate about, something you can dedicate yourself to. I definitely do think shadowing and volunteering are important. Don't do it to check off a box, do it because you like it. If you can find a part time job, perhaps in a summer, that is good too-seems like you have that, with lifeguarding.
As for research, a field that you are passionate about. I personally did psych research and enjoyed it because it let me understand mental factors related to health and I ended up doing a lot with that lab.

One more thing. It's a good idea to find mentors. Could be profs, a PI, a physician, upperclassman, or any combination of them. They can really provide useful advice and encouragement.
Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Shoot for 3.7+ and 510+

This is a good goal but remember stats get higher each cycle. Keep your grades up, keep volunteering, decide if you want to do research and if so look for a PI to hook up with. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Browse mdaapplicants school specific searches

Reactions: 1 users
As a sopohomor the way I look at where I need to be is in 4 blocks

So block A is GPA
The average is now 3.7 for those who get in
So at minimum I aim for my GPA to be a 3.7(hopefully 3.8+)

Block B is MCAT
I haven't looked too much into it other than the fact I need to get get my pre-reqs done before I start digging in(plan to take it senior year, so I begin prep next year)
But this score should be a 510+ to be a competitive mid tier applicant
Ideally 512+

Block C is ECs
Consensus is several hundred hours, I am going overkill here and doing hours in the four figure range..(mainly because its fun)
(Shadow, Clinical and Non-Clinical volunteering, clinical and non clinical volunteering is the big thing though I would focus on, and doing it over 4 years is easier than doing it at the end)

Block D is research
I haven't even touched this category yet
All I know is you need some of it
Would plan on getting it in sometime

So yeah that's pretty much the basics to assembling a med school applicant profile
As others have told me it is a marathon..
I got into college and I thought I needed to rush, nope bad idea.. I might even take a 2nd gap year.. I know I'm going to take one at minimum though.

Medical schools do holistic review so they consider many different factors all together. But in general, like a poster above said, I think 3.7+ (if you can, 3.8+) science GPA, 510+ MCAT should be good for stats.

Browse mdaapplicants school specific searches

Schools have minimum thresholds for determining if you are academically prepared to complete the program. Generally speaking, anything above a 3.7 GPA or 510 MCAT is fantastic for any applicant but, at the end of the day, is just extra. The important thing to remember is not to rely on your stats as the primary/sole factor to get in...that simply does not cut it anymore. That being said, if you are targeting specific programs, the mdapplicants site will prove to be useful, and when the time comes for you to apply, purchase the MSAR.

Most premeds over emphasize the need for research over EC, particularly volunteer/community service in a healthcare setting. You need to break down your EC (see below)

In a 2013 AAMC survey* where 127 medical admissions offices responded, found research experience is only of medium importance at private schools and of low importance to public schools as an experiential factor in offering both interview invitations and acceptance. Healthcare experience, community service/volunteer experience, experience with underserved populations, navigated through cultural barriers or challenges, leadership experience were considered of higher importance in factors for interview invites and offers of acceptances

The AMCAS experience section has a drop down menu for classifying experiences
For each entry, choose an experience type from the list below:

artistic endeavors
community service/volunteer – medical/clinical
community service/volunteer – not medical/clinical
conferences attended
extracurricular activities
hobbies
honors/awards/recognition
intercollegiate athletics
leadership – not listed elsewhere
military service
other
paid employment – medical/clinical
paid employment – not medical/clinical
physician shadowing/clinical observation
presentations/posters
publications
research/lab
teaching/tutoring/teaching assistant

*https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf
see page 3 (pdf p7) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, and Demographic Application Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants to Receive an Interview Invitation and Offer Acceptance (N=127)
So are you saying if I have over 2000(what I will have at the end) hours of community service and no research I would still be competitive?
Hmmm..
I always thought research was very important and I would be at a disadvantage without it.

So are you saying if I have over 2000(what I will have at the end) hours of community service and no research I would still be competitive?
Hmmm..
I always thought research was very important and I would be at a disadvantage without it.
you will be. >90% of matriculants at most/all top 20 schools have research experience. just bc it's not the most important, doesnt mean it's not basically an expectation.

Hmmm..

There is a difference between still being competitive without something and being at a disadvantage without something. You can certainly still be competitive without research.

you will be. >90% of matriculants at most/all top 20 schools have research experience. just bc it's not the most important, doesnt mean it's not basically an expectation.

Most matriculants do not go to top 20 schools.

So far it seems you are on the right track! Medical schools do holistic review so they consider many different factors all together. But in general, like a poster above said, I think 3.7+ (if you can, 3.8+) science GPA, 510+ MCAT should be good for stats. For EC's, do what you are passionate about, something you can dedicate yourself to. I definitely do think shadowing and volunteering are important. Don't do it to check off a box, do it because you like it. If you can find a part time job, perhaps in a summer, that is good too-seems like you have that, with lifeguarding.
As for research, a field that you are passionate about. I personally did psych research and enjoyed it because it let me understand mental factors related to health and I ended up doing a lot with that lab.

One more thing. It's a good idea to find mentors. Could be profs, a PI, a physician, upperclassman, or any combination of them. They can really provide useful advice and encouragement.
Good luck :)
Yeah I'm hoping to get >3.7. I'm sure I can get a really high GPA. Hopefully a good MCAT score. I'm gonna start prepping for it this summer and hopefully be able to score super high when I take it (fall of 2018). Yeah I like shadowing and lifeguarding. I'm also running for positions in clubs this semester. Thanks so much for your help! What else would you recommend?

Yeah I'm hoping to get >3.7. I'm sure I can get a really high GPA. Hopefully a good MCAT score. I'm gonna start prepping for it this summer and hopefully be able to score super high when I take it (fall of 2018). Yeah I like shadowing and lifeguarding. I'm also running for positions in clubs this semester. Thanks so much for your help! What else would you recommend?
I'm not sure if starting to prepare for it one year in advance is the best idea-unless you can keep up with the material and the strategies over the entire school year, there could be a risk of forgetting some things. This is a personal thing, so if you feel you can do it then go for it, but if I were you, I'd try to find something like an internship, or a unique volunteering opportunity, or a research opportunity, this summer, or take classes, and then study for the MCAT next summer, so it'll be fresh in your mind.

The positions are good but try not to spread yourself out too thin-depending on the position it could take a lot of time, you want to be able to be in it so you can contribute well, not just to check the box. Ie, one position where you really dedicate yourself and tons of time is better than four where you aren't able to contribute much to any single one of them.

I would also recommend talking to advisors early to map out the classes you'll take the rest of your time in undergrad-it's good to have a general idea of when to take what, etc.

Right now you should focus on having a stable (and good!) GPA. Worry about everything else once you're able to handle your schoolwork consistently at at least the A- level. GPA is the hardest, longest, and most expensive thing to fix. You will do yourself a huge favor if you don't have a hole to dig yourself out of later.

I got into med school with 0 hours of shadowing, barely any volunteer work, lots of paid work, and heavy investment in personal hobbies. There's no strict formula to get in! Get good grades, have fun in college, and do whatever your interests lead you to. Naturally, if you have a passion for medicine, you're going to find yourself involved in clinical experience one way or another. Don't ever do something because you "need" it for your apps, do it because you genuinely enjoy it. Follow your heart and you will stick out from the cookie cutter pre-meds.