You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Accepted students: what are your summer plans?
Started by stealthoscope
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
We actually had to take a class that was centered around this topic in undergrad because it is so important. We all have probably come under fire about going into the profession and what we do personally. Being a vet is being a community leader, being an expert in human-animal relationships, and trying to combat zoonotic diseases, etc. Both sides have their opinions, but it does not mean that we all can't have an adult discussion about it. I enjoy seeing what other people have to say as long as it isn't bashing.I could go all day. Lol. this is one of my fave discussions. Its probably because a pre vet student once tried to tell me I had awful morals because I ate meat. Lit a fire under me. Too many people misunderstand the profession. I look at it as being a community leader. Controlling disease outbreaks, helping people keep the human and animal bond, all that cool stuff. It's not a puppy and kitten world. I can be their advocate while understanding their role in the food chain.
For everyone that was also quick to judge the comment I made, I was mostly annoyed by the statement above. I'm not a "militant vegan" or against hunting for population control (although I feel like culling is a "too simple" response, but w/e). Imo, being a veterinarian should be looked at as helping all animals and hunting for sport and "shooting as many birds as possible" is just that, sport. Not population control. This is how the wolves were wiped out of Michigan and how plenty of other species worldwide are going extinct.
Also, since when are veterinarians not allowed to be for animals rights AND animal welfare? I see no harm in advocating for less hunting, being vegetarian/vegan, etc. as a veterinarian. I realize plenty of successful vets hunt and "use the entire animal for their family" to make themselves feel better about killing an animal, but that doesn't mean I have to support that way of thinking or refrain from making a comment about it.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
You took one comment way the hell out of context.
The bolded above is going to really hit you hard when you realize that as a veterinarian in order to help animals, you often need to end suffering. Sometimes that ending comes before suffering even occurs. Hunting of animals prevents suffering of those animals. Though you should already know this based upon your claim of being "all knowing" and having taken all these courses....
You REALLY do not understand the difference between animal rights and animal welfare. Being an advocate for animal rights is like saying you wish to see the veterinary profession to disappear completely. So, clearly, you do not have as good of a grasp on these concepts as you claim to.
Advocating for less hunting and being vegan/vegetarian is ignoring the fact that hunting is done for very specific reasons that REDUCE animal suffering and death. And advocating for being vegan/vegetarian is ignoring that many human beings have health conditions that REQUIRE the consumption of meat.
You don't have to refrain from making a comment about it, but you also don't get to just flap your lips and say whatever the hell you want without people commenting back. Just as you are free to make whatever comments you wish, we are free to respond. If you can't handle the criticism back, then you should probably shut your mouth before you make said comment.
I appreciate your concern. I've actually already gotten into every school I applied to (except for one I'm waiting to hear back from) and I've talked extensively about all of these topics at interviews. I've also spent every year of undergrad working in labs alongside veterinarians that used animals in research, so I'm well aware of animal research related issues. The emergency clinic I work at also deals with owners that exhibit animal neglect/abuse and the inability to afford treatment, so I also have experience dealing with that. I've also taken classes on animal rights and even visited a slaughterhouse already in order to understand what goes on.
The point of what I just said is that my previous statements on this thread were not just me being quick to talk badly about others. I've experienced the difficulties of the profession already and I'm still amazed at how little some people (even veterinarians) seem to care about animals that they aren't seeing as clients. Overall, it's just sad that many of the people that replied to my comment are just as ignorant towards how we treat animals in society.
Really? You are going to make this type of broad statement about everyone here without knowing who they are? I guarantee the vast majority of us responding could trump your "education" and "experiences" and have been doing this a whole hell of a lot longer than you have. You are talking to many veterinary students and actual veterinarians. To act as if those of us IN THIS FIELD already who have spent YEARS in actual VETERINARY school where we actually learn what really happens with how animals are treated in society... you are quite naive and have quite the ego. I sure hope your attitude changes or you are going to have one hell of a time in veterinary school. Please feel free to state the above to your professors and clinicians.... .especially the food animal ones. I want to see how long you last. Actually, film it please. I want to watch you get your ass chewed the hell out, because at this point you damn well deserve a giant ass-whooping and reality check by someone who REALLY DOES KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Why would I care about making friends with a handful of randos on the Internet that clearly don't care all that much about animals in the first place? Is that really something I should care about? Clearly I have a completely different way of thinking about animals as many of you do, so I guess I'll keep my "unfriendly" comments to myself now.
Enjoy your venison and animal suffering.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Enjoy being smacked by reality. Also remember that veterinary medicine is a *very* small field and figuring out who people are on this forum is not as difficult as you might think. Just wait to see how these comments to "randos" on the internet affect you. Considering that you can't keep your mouth shut here and refrain from being a condescending jerk, I have doubts you will be able to in school either. It will be a long 4 years for you...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
See that's exactly why I have such a problem here and have been reacting a shade more aggressively than I usually do. They didn't come on here to start a discussion about the benefits or detriments of hunting for sport, they just came on and denigrated someone for sharing their summer plans that they were clearly excited about.You're the one acting like a giant turd. Keep the snark to yourself (not your opinions, note - just the snotty comments that accompany them) or don't let the metaphorical door hit your butt on the way out.
It was rude, and instead of realizing that and realizing that all of us "randos" are actual people sitting at a computer (or phone, whatever) they just kept attacking people who don't share the same opinions and insinuating that we're all proponents of animal suffering.
Most people would take offense at that statement. For people who are specifically within the veterinary profession I find it even more offensive.
There's nothing wrong with personally opposing the practice of hunting, or having opinions that don't align with other people, so long as you're respecting them as people.
Ah, I see! I researched that last year before my interview in case they asked me. I guess that my "animal rights" views encompasses the lower end of the spectrum. I hate circuses and traveling zoos due to their use and mistreatment of animals, I don't understand the use/mistreatment of animals for unnecessary entertainment purposes, etc. But I'm not what that site would consider an "activist" lol. I don't like rodeos and horse racing but I understand why people are involved. Calf roping makes me sad, only because that animal is feeling fear (and probably pain) for sport. I would never condone violence or vandalism in the name of awareness though. I hated zoos as a kid, but luckily I was fortunate enough to work at one in the US where we have high standards for animal care, and I got to see what they really do to help animals and the environment. I could keep going on but I don't see the need!
I used to be a strict vegetarian for my own reasons, but I've been debating whether or not to have 1 day a week where I eat meat to keep myself from getting sick when I travel and eat meat to experience the culture. I don't ever want to eat pork though. Vet school will probably teach me things that will help decide whether I want to stay a vegetarian or not and I look forward to those learning experiences either way!
I used to be a strict vegetarian for my own reasons, but I've been debating whether or not to have 1 day a week where I eat meat to keep myself from getting sick when I travel and eat meat to experience the culture. I don't ever want to eat pork though. Vet school will probably teach me things that will help decide whether I want to stay a vegetarian or not and I look forward to those learning experiences either way!
Anybody planning on hitting the gym and getting jacked? I'm not talking toned, I'm talking muscles on muscles. I wanna enter vet school looking like Arnold
I don't even hunt because I'm scared to shoot a gun, lol
My workout goal for this semester lasted like 3 days
Anybody planning on hitting the gym and getting jacked? I'm not talking toned, I'm talking muscles on muscles. I wanna enter vet school looking like Arnold
My workout goal for this semester lasted like 3 days
You took one comment way the hell out of context.
The bolded above is going to really hit you hard when you realize that as a veterinarian in order to help animals, you often need to end suffering. Sometimes that ending comes before suffering even occurs. Hunting of animals prevents suffering of those animals. Though you should already know this based upon your claim of being "all knowing" and having taken all these courses....
You REALLY do not understand the difference between animal rights and animal welfare. Being an advocate for animal rights is like saying you wish to see the veterinary profession to disappear completely. So, clearly, you do not have as good of a grasp on these concepts as you claim to.
Advocating for less hunting and being vegan/vegetarian is ignoring the fact that hunting is done for very specific reasons that REDUCE animal suffering and death. And advocating for being vegan/vegetarian is ignoring that many human beings have health conditions that REQUIRE the consumption of meat.
You don't have to refrain from making a comment about it, but you also don't get to just flap your lips and say whatever the hell you want without people commenting back. Just as you are free to make whatever comments you wish, we are free to respond. If you can't handle the criticism back, then you should probably shut your mouth before you make said comment.
Really? You are going to make this type of broad statement about everyone here without knowing who they are? I guarantee the vast majority of us responding could trump your "education" and "experiences" and have been doing this a whole hell of a lot longer than you have. You are talking to many veterinary students and actual veterinarians. To act as if those of us IN THIS FIELD already who have spent YEARS in actual VETERINARY school where we actually learn what really happens with how animals are treated in society... you are quite naive and have quite the ego. I sure hope your attitude changes or you are going to have one hell of a time in veterinary school. Please feel free to state the above to your professors and clinicians.... .especially the food animal ones. I want to see how long you last. Actually, film it please. I want to watch you get your ass chewed the hell out, because at this point you damn well deserve a giant ass-whooping and reality check by someone who REALLY DOES KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Enjoy being smacked by reality. Also remember that veterinary medicine is a *very* small field and figuring out who people are on this forum is not as difficult as you might think. Just wait to see how these comments to "randos" on the internet affect you. Considering that you can't keep your mouth shut here and refrain from being a condescending jerk, I have doubts you will be able to in school either. It will be a long 4 years for you...
I really wanted to be done with this thread but your comment was too perfect to not respond to. I've been in the field of veterinary medicine for over 10 years (non-traditional student), so I personally feel like I do have a pretty good understanding of what it's like and the difficulties that come along with being a veterinarian. Additionally, my comments were not even close to being as ignorant as yours were, so I can't really take someone as hypocritical as you very seriously. I made a comment about what one person said and it turned into multiple people freaking out. In the future (in vet school and beyond), I will have no problem advocating for animals in the way the I see fit, even if it goes against the thinking process that people like you have. Finally, nothing about my account can tie to who I actually am, so your pathetic threats of finding out who I am are falling on deaf ears.
You should post before and after pics. And then the after after pics once you're 3 years into vet school 😛Anybody planning on hitting the gym and getting jacked? I'm not talking toned, I'm talking muscles on muscles. I wanna enter vet school looking like Arnold
I really wanted to be done with this thread but your comment was too perfect to not respond to. I've been in the field of veterinary medicine for over 10 years (non-traditional student), so I personally feel like I do have a pretty good understanding of what it's like and the difficulties that come along with being a veterinarian. Additionally, my comments were not even close to being as ignorant as yours were, so I can't really take someone as hypocritical as you very seriously. I made a comment about what one person said and it turned into multiple people freaking out. In the future (in vet school and beyond), I will have no problem advocating for animals in the way the I see fit, even if it goes against the thinking process that people like you have. Finally, nothing about my account can tie to who I actually am, so your pathetic threats of finding out who I am are falling on deaf ears.
Door ---> butt
Uh maybe we'll just stick to the after pictures haha. You'd thank me.You should post before and after pics. And then the after after pics once you're 3 years into vet school 😛
I really wanted to be done with this thread but your comment was too perfect to not respond to. I've been in the field of veterinary medicine for over 10 years (non-traditional student), so I personally feel like I do have a pretty good understanding of what it's like and the difficulties that come along with being a veterinarian. Additionally, my comments were not even close to being as ignorant as yours were, so I can't really take someone as hypocritical as you very seriously. I made a comment about what one person said and it turned into multiple people freaking out. In the future (in vet school and beyond), I will have no problem advocating for animals in the way the I see fit, even if it goes against the thinking process that people like you have. Finally, nothing about my account can tie to who I actually am, so your pathetic threats of finding out who I am are falling on deaf ears.
Your comments ARE ignorant, you just have to big of an ego to realize it. It will eventually settle in just how ignorant you are... or not. And I am not going to attempt to go "searching" for who you are, I do not care. However, there are adcoms on these forums and I can guarantee that just with your comment above plus you stating an IS vet school is easily enough to significantly narrow down exactly who you are.
After all.. how many people applied to one school with claimed lab experience, 10+ years in the veterinary field, and applied to "x" in-state??? You've narrowed it down quite well whether you believe it or not. Shouldn't be all that difficult for an adcom to put the pieces together. So, believe all you want that you can't be "figured" out. But if an adcom really wanted to know who you were, they could figure it out.
I'm not trying to get ripped or even lose weight, but I am trying to get back in the habit of running 3-4x a week. It was going well until three weeks ago when I get sick.
I have my next half in June though, so I really need to get the habit down again soon haha
I have my next half in June though, so I really need to get the habit down again soon haha
This discussion could have been enlightening and informative. Oh well, it was rather entertaining.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why would I care about making friends with a handful of randos on the Internet that clearly don't care all that much about animals in the first place? Is that really something I should care about? Clearly I have a completely different way of thinking about animals as many of you do, so I guess I'll keep my "unfriendly" comments to myself now.
Enjoy your venison and animal suffering.
Moreover many admissions related individuals are on this site and may not look very kindly on this sort of behavior. That isn't to say they will rescind your acceptances. But they may have serious discussions with you about professionalism
Good thing this kid isn't heading my my institution. I'd have a field day with him.
Hopefully it was after the initial outbursts 🙂This discussion could have been enlightening and informative. Oh well, it was rather entertaining.
I'm not trying to get ripped or even lose weight, but I am trying to get back in the habit of running 3-4x a week. It was going well until three weeks ago when I get sick.
I have my next half in June though, so I really need to get the habit down again soon haha
I work out, but like once a week. I'm trying to increase that because I really want to improve my endurance more than anything. Being a vet requires a hell of a use of the body and I don't want it to shock my system when we start doing physical work in school.
![]()
Good thing this kid isn't heading my my institution. I'd have a field day with him.
Kid? Being a 32 year old vet tech in the field for over 10 years = I'm a kid? How are the apparently ignorant comments I made previously any different from the ones you all are making now? Also, I'm not a "him." Great job assuming I'm a guy based off of my comments.
P.S. I'm glad I won't be heading towards your institution.
Markimoo 😍![]()
Good thing this kid isn't heading my my institution. I'd have a field day with him.
Kid? Being a 32 year old vet tech in the field for over 10 years = I'm a kid? How are the apparently ignorant comments I made previously any different from the ones you all are making now? Also, I'm not a "him." Great job assuming I'm a guy based off of my comments.
P.S. I'm glad I won't be heading towards your institution.
Your numerical age doesn't always correlate with maturity level, humility, or argument skills. As you have proven so well.
I also assumed you were male because that is what your profile said you were. Before you restricted access to it just now.
Your numerical age doesn't always correlate with maturity level, humility, or argument skills. As you have proven so well.
Your status of "Fellow" doesn't correlate with your lack of professionalism either. As you have proven so well.
Kid? Being a 32 year old vet tech in the field for over 10 years = I'm a kid? How are the apparently ignorant comments I made previously any different from the ones you all are making now? Also, I'm not a "him." Great job assuming I'm a guy based off of my comments.
P.S. I'm glad I won't be heading towards your institution.
I could have sworn it said you were male on your profile...
Your status of "Fellow" doesn't correlate with your lack of professionalism either. As you have proven so well.
Is that hole deep enough yet? No? Carry on.
Hopefully it was after the initial outbursts 🙂
Well so far everything that could have been more informative was simply glossed over instead of elaborated on for the sake of judging and name-calling haha.
:troll:
seriously, this is not going to go anywhere productive with this person.
seriously, this is not going to go anywhere productive with this person.
Is that hole deep enough yet? No? Carry on.
I actually wish I was attending your institution. It seems pretty easy to be a fellow there considering you're posting pointless comments at pre-vets on a Monday afternoon. You sound like a wonderful, hard working veterinarian.
I actually wish I was attending your institution. It seems pretty easy to be a fellow there considering you're posting pointless comments at pre-vets on a Monday afternoon. You sound like a wonderful, hard working veterinarian.
Considering she passed the most difficult board exam of any veterinary specialty on the first attempt... she really is a wonderful, hard working, badass veterinarian.
Any areas I can elaborate on for you?Well so far everything that could have been more informative was simply glossed over instead of elaborated on for the sake of judging and name-calling haha.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I actually wish I was attending your institution. It seems pretty easy to be a fellow there considering you're posting pointless comments at pre-vets on a Monday afternoon. You sound like a wonderful, hard working veterinarian.
Omg can we please stop 🙁
I will say this once - SDN is not a place for slinging insults. Please keep it professional or your posting privileges may be affected
Laaawl.
I actually wish I was attending your institution. It seems pretty easy to be a fellow there considering you're posting pointless comments at pre-vets on a Monday afternoon. You sound like a wonderful, hard working veterinarian.
From the sound of it, you would never make it to that level anyway.
Last edited:
Any areas I can elaborate on for you?
Oh no, unless you want to. I'm really fascinated about others opinions on animal welfare and animal rights and why they believe the way they do. It's interesting because I can have a discussion with another 'animal lover' and they'll be totally anti-captivity and anti-meat while I'm very pro zoo (done responsibility) and your typical carnivore. And those are just two subjects among the many in this discussion.
I learn more through opinions and discussion and then following up with research for accuracy than I do simply googling issues.
Form the sound of it, you would never make it to that level anyway.
How am I the one getting all of the hate over one small comment I made and yet there's no problem with you acting ignorant towards me as a fellow in veterinary medicine? Seriously? People are talking about having a civil conversation and at the same time attacking someone for making a comment that may have come off worse than it was meant to over the internet. You come in out of no where with your self-righteous, arrogant comments, and yet I'm the one at fault here? I have better things to do with my time than this.
Oh no, unless you want to. I'm really fascinated about others opinions on animal welfare and animal rights and why they believe the way they do. It's interesting because I can have a discussion with another 'animal lover' and they'll be totally anti-captivity and anti-meat while I'm very pro zoo (done responsibility) and your typical carnivore. And those are just two subjects among the many in this discussion.
I learn more through opinions and discussion and then following up with research for accuracy than I do simply googling issues.
I am very much an animal welfare proponent. I believe in the five freedoms of animal welfare:
http://www.aspcapro.org/sites/pro/files/aspca_asv_five_freedoms_final_0_0.pdf
How am I the one getting all of the hate over one small comment I made and yet there's no problem with you acting ignorant towards me as a fellow in veterinary medicine? Seriously? People are talking about having a civil conversation and at the same time attacking someone for making a comment that may have come off worse than it was meant to over the internet. I have better things to do with my time than this.
You sling mud first and instead of apologizing or stating that you didn't mean your comment in that way, you double down and continue to sling mud and bash every single poster here. Then you toss insults at WTF who said absolutely nothing rude to you at all... and you expect us to treat you with kindness???? There was zero ignorance towards you on here, you are getting the responses that are appropriate for your actions. Don't like it, perhaps try a different way of communicating.
You are getting hate (as you call it) because instead of acknowledging earlier that 'your comment may have come off worse' than you intended, you doubled down and insisted everyone else was wrong and more ignorant than you.
You are welcome to say whatever you want, but if you don't want to play well with others, why should they use kid-gloves on you?
You are welcome to say whatever you want, but if you don't want to play well with others, why should they use kid-gloves on you?
Animal rights can get pretty judgemental pretty quickly. It is a spectrum, but it's a lot narrower than people think. And most people think that animal rights are ideal because of the way it sounds. However, animal welfare works very diligently to help animals (and is why we have fear-free handling becoming a thing).
Sometimes, some animal rights groups become abusive to those that don't share their opinion. They have tried infiltrating some vet schools before to "expose" the "cruelty" (usually has to do with anatomy). Those same groups have actually been found to have been euthanizing more dogs and cats than other shelters because pet ownership is "slavery".
Sometimes, some animal rights groups become abusive to those that don't share their opinion. They have tried infiltrating some vet schools before to "expose" the "cruelty" (usually has to do with anatomy). Those same groups have actually been found to have been euthanizing more dogs and cats than other shelters because pet ownership is "slavery".
Why would I care about making friends with a handful of randos on the Internet that clearly don't care all that much about animals in the first place? Is that really something I should care about? Clearly I have a completely different way of thinking about animals as many of you do, so I guess I'll keep my "unfriendly" comments to myself now.
Enjoy your venison and animal suffering.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I really wanted to be done with this thread but your comment was too perfect to not respond to. I've been in the field of veterinary medicine for over 10 years (non-traditional student), so I personally feel like I do have a pretty good understanding of what it's like and the difficulties that come along with being a veterinarian. Additionally, my comments were not even close to being as ignorant as yours were, so I can't really take someone as hypocritical as you very seriously. I made a comment about what one person said and it turned into multiple people freaking out. In the future (in vet school and beyond), I will have no problem advocating for animals in the way the I see fit, even if it goes against the thinking process that people like you have. Finally, nothing about my account can tie to who I actually am, so your pathetic threats of finding out who I am are falling on deaf ears.
Kid? Being a 32 year old vet tech in the field for over 10 years = I'm a kid? How are the apparently ignorant comments I made previously any different from the ones you all are making now? Also, I'm not a "him." Great job assuming I'm a guy based off of my comments.
P.S. I'm glad I won't be heading towards your institution.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
This is ridiculous and extremely amusing. I'm glad you know more than multiple veterinarians about this subject - why do you even need to go to vet school at this point? You clearly seem to think that you have nothing left to learn.
So much yes to getting back on the working out wagon! I've been eating like Jabba the Hut during this entire acceptance process. So many ruts in that road 😵Uh maybe we'll just stick to the after pictures haha. You'd thank me.
I am very much an animal welfare proponent. I believe in the five freedoms of animal welfare:
http://www.aspcapro.org/sites/pro/files/aspca_asv_five_freedoms_final_0_0.pdf
As am I. I feel like my beliefs are in line with these freedoms. While there are unethical zoos and I think we need to make positive humane changes to the food animal industry as a whole, overall being a proponent of animal welfare does not mean opposing anything that CAN impose on these freedoms because they can exist without doing so.
the other thing to keep in mind are the conservation efforts of zoos and aquariums. It's very easy to make a snap judgement, but many of these institutions help bank DNA of endangered species or help to fix the underlying problems like habitat loss in those areas.As am I. I feel like my beliefs are in line with these freedoms. While there are unethical zoos and I think we need to make positive humane changes to the food animal industry as a whole, overall being a proponent of animal welfare does not mean opposing anything that CAN impose on these freedoms because they can exist without doing so.
I will be heading to London and Italy this summer! So excited!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As am I. I feel like my beliefs are in line with these freedoms. While there are unethical zoos and I think we need to make positive humane changes to the food animal industry as a whole, overall being a proponent of animal welfare does not mean opposing anything that CAN impose on these freedoms because they can exist without doing so.
There is a balance with food animals though that is difficult to understand until you have learned some more about them.
Those 5 freedoms are currently being obtained in the best way possible. Yes, there are some things still to be desired especially in regards to poultry raising. However, we have to remember that our food animals significantly impact OUR health too. So we try to minimize disease to these animals as much as possible. Many people shouting for "more space" for these animals don't realize that "more space" equates to more disease and to disease spreading much more quickly and to more farms...
Take bird flu... make "more space" for the birds, all the birds will still be infected, but the spread of birds is larger and they are now closer to other nearby farms... making the widespread impact much more damaging.
For food animals, there is much more to consider that has to do with disease and food safety. As well as the safety and health of the animals. It is a fine balancing act to give them the most and best welfare that we can provide while still minimizing disease within the herds or flocks of animals.
As for the "unethical zoos" there are bad apples everywhere, that is more of a finding those operations and fixing them or assisting them to get them up to speed. Or if bad enough, shutting them down.
Last edited:
There is a balance with food animals though that is difficult to understand until you have learned some more about them.
Those 5 freedoms are currently being obtained in the best way possible. Yes, there are some things still to be desired especially in regards to poultry raising. However, we have to remember that our food animals significantly impact OUR health too. So we try to minimize disease to these animals as much as possible. Many people shouting for "more space" for these animals don't realize that "more space" equates to more disease and to disease spreading much more quickly and to more farms...
Take bird flu... make "more space" for the birds, all the birds will still be infected, but the spread of birds is larger and they are now closer to other nearby farms... making the widespread impact much more damaging.
For food animals, there is much more to consider that has to do with disease and food safety. As well as the safety and health of the animals. It is a find balancing act to give them the most and best welfare that we can provide while still minimizing disease within the herds or flocks of animals.
As for the "unethical zoos" there are bad apples everywhere, that is more of a finding those operations and fixing them or assisting them to get them up to speed. Or if bad enough, shutting them down.
Oh, I completely agree. And yes, what I meant about the zoos is exactly that. Because they can and have negatively impacted individual animals, activists oppose zoos entirely rather than being a proponent for ethical captivity. And then there are those that oppose zoos simply for the fact that they're not 'natural'.
As far as food animals, my main beef with the industry (pun intended) is mass production of animals unnecessarily. Too much food is produced and wasted, or it's consumed but does not need to be (obesity epidemic). A humane amount of space could be achieved without compromising health if society consumed only what was necessary.
Now I realize that's more of a societal problem than an issue for the industry, but if they only produced as much as they could that provided the animals with humane living conditions without negatively impacting health, I would prefer to see it.
Oh, I completely agree. And yes, what I meant about the zoos is exactly that. Because they can and have negatively impacted individual animals, activists oppose zoos entirely rather than being a proponent for ethical captivity. And then there are those that oppose zoos simply for the fact that they're not 'natural'.
As far as food animals, my main beef with the industry (pun intended) is mass production of animals unnecessarily. Too much food is produced and wasted, or it's consumed but does not need to be (obesity epidemic). A humane amount of space could be achieved without compromising health if society consumed only what was necessary.
Now I realize that's more of a societal problem than an issue for the industry, but if they only produced as much as they could that provided the animals with humane living conditions without negatively impacting health, I would prefer to see it.
I don't believe animals are mass produced unnecessarily. Yes, we do have food wasted, but you have to recall that we can't predict outcomes of offspring. There has to be a certain amount of "oversupply" if you will to be ready for losses. Also there are different purposes for male vs female animals, more so in dairy than the beef industry but to some degree in both industries. And we can't "predict" gender. Well, at least not for cheap we can't. There is a way to purchase semen separated by gender, but that is more $$.
You can't just go "we think we need x number of animals let's produce x". There are way too many factors into what can completely obliterate a farm or operation and have a severe impact on food availability.
Take the most recent bird flu that swept through the midwest, both poultry and egg production took a massive hit.... it affected food supply significantly and increased prices of eggs/poultry...
http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2015/05/07/bird-flu-1/
A lot of mass production takes into account that at any moment a disease can sweep through and wipe out an entire farm or more.
I have better things to do with my time than this.
Please feel free to prove it.
Please feel free to prove it.
Hear, hear.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 19
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 31K
- Replies
- 143
- Views
- 7K

