Accepted to post-bacc..should I pursue? Help needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocDoc5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I was recently accepted to a post-bacc at a DO school and have been weighing my options since I have a unique situation.(I posted a similar thread about six months ago, before I had concrete stats (primarily gpa).)

I graduated with a biology degree, stats cgpa 3.5ish and BCPM gpa 3.4ish (could've done better but worked two jobs while taking core science courses). I thought about pursuing pharmacy, so I went to a community college and took courses needed for that (ie nutrition, calculus, medical terminology etc.).. a total of 15 credit hours, which increased my cgpa to a 3.8 ( all A's), my BCPM gpa barely increased as I only took one class (calculus) that fell into those categories. I take the MCAT in July. Last legitimate practice test score - 501.

I am on the fence of pursuing this post bacc that I was accepted to, as they currently have a 60-65 percent success rate, and it is fairly new. Not to mention the cost is 20,000-30,000 for one year. There is no guarantee linkage, and the only MCAT prep that is offered is through Kaplan. 60 percent of the offered courses, I've taken and have gotten A's, B+'s and B (1) in them.

On the other hand, I think it would be a good opportunity because it would increase my science and cum GPA as I am not sure how 15 credits of community college coursework post-graduation would appear to Adcoms. I thought about just taking the MCAT and giving this application cycle a shot (tons of clinical volunteer, research, shadowing hours URM, disadvantged, would like to attend med school IS), while taking 2-4 science courses to increase science gpa at my alma mater (would be half the cost), and if I'm not accepted to med school, then pursue a formal post-bacc next year. Should I defer my acceptance? How would adcoms view upper-level science courses taken at a local university vs. a formal post-bacc? Does one carry more weight in BCPM GPA? Please help!!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your problem is the MCAT, not the GPAs. Forget the post-bac and work, save money and prepare better for MCAT. If you have test taking anxiety, that has to be fixed. And it can.

Reactions: 1 users
I think your GPAs are fine for many schools. I would focus on acing the MCAT