ACGME accredited Regional Anesthesia and Acte Pain Medicine Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urge

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Can someone explain why this is so bad? Not sure i understand the opposition to this? Wanted to get a second opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone explain why this is so bad? Not sure i understand the opposition to this? Wanted to get a second opinion.
Many here think regional is a waste. Personally, my biggest issue with this is that you become a pgy-5 as opposed to being a hybrid fellow/attending at many institutions so pay will drop dramatically. Then on top of that, there's all sorts of fees and testing that you'd need to do for acgme accreditation in perpetuity.

Reactions: 1 user

Like what above poster said, no more working as attending or moonlight as one now that it is ACGME accredited. Basically your pay will be like 65k instead of the 100k it is now in some places. Also you will have to pay thousands to take regional exams and also have to study stuff that may not apply to real life clinical situations. Being an attending one day a week is a good way to prepare for life after fellowship and retain all your skills.

It basically says the residency is for General anesthesia training only.

It opens the door for a subspecialty exam like what happened with Pediatric anesthesia.

If the exam happens, it opens the door to hospitals only credentialing those with the exam, thus forcing all the old farts to take the test during the grandfathering period just in case, just like happened with Pediatric anesthesia.

It makes moonlighting harder.

I cannot think of any benefit.

you all make valid points. thanks for your insights.

although wouldn't the credentialing benefit Regional trained docs in the long run? i.e more pay? less intrusion in the field by Nursing providers, etc?

and are you all suggesting that Residents interested in Regional fellowship consider a NON-ACGME accredited institution vs an Accredited institution?

Regional isn't like CT where only a limited number of people in a group do it. Nearly every person in a general anesthesia practice should be doing regional on a daily basis. It won't be possible to limit regional activities to fellowship trained practitioners. It may be possible to offer an exam similar to the basic TEE exam that only doctors can take that demonstrates a basic knowledge level. That test would have to be available to non-fellowship trained individuals or it wouldn't have the proper effect. Something like that could give the docs a viable reason to block out CRNA intrusion via a route more recognizable to administration.

There is no good reason for it other than $$$ mula baby!

although wouldn't the credentialing benefit Regional trained docs in the long run? i.e more pay? less intrusion in the field by Nursing providers, etc?

and are you all suggesting that Residents interested in Regional fellowship consider a NON-ACGME accredited institution vs an Accredited institution?
No, no, no, and no.

As of now I would recommend going to the program you like regardless of ACGME accreditation. 9 programs is a very small number. The extortion begins when the majority are ACGME accredited.

Reactions: 1 user