This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Actin11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Whichever one you are more interested in.

Are you a planning on working as an EMT and would be relying on it for income?

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely 1. Every pre-med and their mother is becoming EMT certified, it doesn't mean squat anyway unless you volunteer with a local hospital/paramedic team (which is VERY hard to get into as a student/EMT-B).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Stop making decisions based on what looks better for med school

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks all. Looks like I'll be working 40 hours a week with medical examiner. What else would look good for next summer?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Question.... do you have any other clinical experience right now? Probably not. I'm just trying to make sure.

Edit:
LizzyM said clinical examiner would make for a fine clinical experience.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/autopsy-technician-clinical-experience.732309/

I had absolutely no idea that working with the deceased would be acceptable. Carry on chap

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
option 1 with the medical examiner.

The examiner job sounds really cool and you'd really get a diverse perspective on what goes on there, but I'd also love to be able to help people in emergency situations. If I were you'd I'd explore the prospect of doing both until it were proved I cannot.

Definitely 1. Every pre-med and their mother is becoming EMT certified, it doesn't mean squat anyway unless you volunteer with a local hospital/paramedic team (which is VERY hard to get into as a student/EMT-B).

Do you mean that becoming and working as an EMT means squat because everyone is doing it? Or do you mean that just having the certification and not ever working/volunteering as one means squat? I was aware of the second one but as someone who is taking an EMT course over the summer I'm curious about the first. Regardless I think I would enjoy being an EMT and plan to work as one next year but curious about how it's viewed by med schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
As I indicated in my previous post, getting an EMT certification is less that useless to have any impact with an adcom. It can look like you are just getting to add to your ECs. Several years ago, getting the certification was a "fad" with premeds and quickly was known thru out the adcoms, becoming a meaningless EC.

However, getting an EMT, and using it in either employment or, better still, in a volunteer squad that has possibility for advancement and leadership positions can be an excellent EC. If you stay with it for sometime will show commitment. However, do not make EMT work your sole clinical experience. Get more in a hospital or clinic based setting

Thanks for clearing it all up! I plan on working as one during the school year but will seek out volunteer opportunities for it as well. Thanks again!