Advice for a ED nurse applying to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which DO school(s) do you think I have the best chance of being accepted?

• ACOM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VCOM-Auburn

• GA-PCOM

• LECOM Bradenton

• NSU-COM

• RVUCOM

• LMU-DCOM

• CUSOM

• UP-KYCOM

• WVSOM

• Total voters

NurseCapitanKirk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to see what you guys think of my chances of getting into an osteopathic medical school, and based off my scores, where I should be applying. I received my bachelors of Science in Nursing from The University of Alabama (ROLL TIDE) and have been working as a registered nurse in the open heart recovery unit and emergency department for two years. In addition, during these two years I have taken the additional coursework needed to apply to medical school.

I scored a 501 on the new MCAT and my cumulative/science GPA is 3.49/3.33. However, all of my post-baccalaureate classes I have a 3.5 GPA, which were all science courses. I have a large resume of community service and leadership roles in nursing school and my community. I have letters of recommendation from a well-known osteopathic physician and my professor letters are decent. What do you think my chances of getting interviews are? I have applied to ACOM, VCOM-Auburn, GA-PCOM, LECOM Bradenton, NSU-COM, VCOM- CC, LMU-DCOM, CUSOM, UP-KYCOM, WVSOM, RVUCOM, and PNWU-COM. I finished secondaries for all schools throughout the month of October, which I now is late.

Therefore, with all the information provided, what are my chances of being accepted? I already have one interview secured with ACOM. Where else should I apply, if any? Also, any recommendation for selling my vast medical experience in my interview without seeming too cocky? Any other tips for interviews? Thanks for the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

So if I get it correctly 501 is a 26 MCAT? To my understanding from reading your post, it seems like your EC should be able to make up for the 26 MCAT...so I personally think you should be good to apply for all DO schools...not sure about the ones that like high MCAT such as Midwestern and Western U (Everyone feel free to correct me if I miss any schools). I will recommend you to apply to DMU and KCU...those are the one that I interviewed and like.

PM me if you have any other questions:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So if I get it correctly 501 is a 26 MCAT? To my understanding from reading your post, it seems like your EC should be able to make up for the 26 MCAT...so I personally think you should be good to apply for all DO schools...not sure about the ones that like high MCAT such as Midwestern and Western U (Everyone feel free to correct me if I miss any schools). I will recommend you to apply to DMU and KCU...those are the one that I interviewed and like.

PM me if you have any other questions:)
Are there any others in the South the you would recommend? I don't care much for colder weather unless I have a ski resort near by!

Are there any others in the South the you would recommend? I don't care much for colder weather unless I have a ski resort near by!

I am geographically challenged so I actually had to google map to answer your questions...so my bad if I miss any schools hahah...I will say OSU and Rowan U? Though I heard Rowan U is in-state preference or picky...Again I am not sure where they are in the process to apply now...kinda late??

Just be patient...I think you should be able to get interviews...but since you just completed last month, you may have to wait for a while. I am a RN too...my ECs are not as impressive as you...but my MCAT few points higher...I applied to 15 DO schools and got interviews at every single of them except 2. I only attended 4 though:)

Good luck...PM me if you want more specific info...I like to retain my anonymity

Rowan is not in the south and has a pretty decent regional bias. Do not apply to OSU because they have very high instate bias. Your list looks solid. Good luck! Maybe add some of the new schools like MUCOM, BCOM, and the other VCOM