This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMFSTRAIN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a foreign trained dentist I had to do quite a bit of research to be able to apply to all these programs. This is a list of programs I was able to find that accepted foreign graduates. Although this list is current and accurate for the application year 2016-2017, I reccomend doing your own research because this can change from one day to the next. Most of these programs take ADEA PASS application but a few as you can see have their own applications and do not look at PASS (a couple like UCLA and Nova look at both PASS and their own application). I know its difficult getting information as FTD so here is a good place to start. Goodluck. And please send some positive energy my way to see if I get in somewhere.

Look below for the updated list in comment box #22.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Thank you very much!!! This really helps.

Are they all available for non-permanent residents?

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you very much!!! This really helps.

Are they all available for non-permanent residents?

Varo I didnt pay much attention to visa requirements since I'm a US Citizen but it should be on their websites.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a foreign trained dentist I had to do quite a bit of research to be able to apply to all these programs. This is a list of programs I was able to find that accepted foreign graduates. Although this list is current and accurate for the application year 2016-2017, I reccomend doing your own research because this can change from one day to the next. Most of these programs take ADEA PASS application but a few as you can see have their own applications and do not look at PASS (a couple like UCLA and Nova look at both PASS and their own application). I know its difficult getting information as FTD so here is a good place to start. Goodluck. And please send some positive energy my way to see if I get in somewhere.
Are all of these 2 year programs?

Harlem Hospital doesn't take FTD, It's better to call and find out because alot of information on PASS isn't accurate. Also, Summa Health System only takes PGY2.

Harlem Hospital doesn't take FTD, It's better to call and find out because alot of information on PASS isn't accurate. Also, Summa Health System only takes PGY2.

Nadent if you look in the comments section it states what you confirm with a minor detail. Unless the person at Harlem misinformed me when I called (because I have called all these programs multiple times) I was told by the AEGD dept. that they do indeed take FTD. Now, when I talked to the GPR dept. they informed me that they do NOT take FTD which is why Harlem-GPR is in red and their AEGD in green. Please review carefully and check key at the bottom. Hope that helps.

Nadent if you look in the comments section it states what you confirm with a minor detail. Unless the person at Harlem misinformed me when I called (because I have called all these programs multiple times) I was told by the AEGD dept. that they do indeed take FTD. Now, when I talked to the GPR dept. they informed me that they do NOT take FTD which is why Harlem-GPR is in red and their AEGD in green. Please review carefully and check key at the bottom. Hope that helps.
I apologize OMFSTRAIN I didn't look closely. Yes Columbia University's AEGD does take FTD, but tuition is required and is production based meaning if you don't bring in a certain quota for them you don't get your certificate from what I've heard. I believe that's why they have so many positions that go unfilled after match results come out. I've done quite of bit of research myself, but didn't compile a list like you, keep up the good work and great job. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Has any one got interview call from Rochester for AEGD program?

This is definitely a great list and i wish that you get through the program of your choice. I have a basic question and was hoping you will be able to answer. i am a foreign trained dentist and only focusing on the advanced placement programs for DDS / DMD. What are the advantages /disadvantages of doing GPR/AEGD over doing DDS?DMD to secure license in USA. Any insights will be great to have.

This is definitely a great list and i wish that you get through the program of your choice. I have a basic question and was hoping you will be able to answer. i am a foreign trained dentist and only focusing on the advanced placement programs for DDS / DMD. What are the advantages /disadvantages of doing GPR/AEGD over doing DDS?DMD to secure license in USA. Any insights will be great to have.

Thanks sneh I appreciate that. I have relatively limited knowledge on the entire process which is why I always reccommend doing your own reseach but I can tell you why I chose GPR/AEGD route over Advanced Standing. I believe the safest route is Advanced Standing because you recieve your US DDS/DMD and you can go anywhere from there; I didnt go that route first because its very expensive and compared to a residency program you are not as challenged clinically in other words you wont see as many patients and get that clinical experience since it will be two more years of dental school (not that its necessarily a bad thing but it was an important factor for me). Another reason was because I wasnt able to apply on time since you need your diploma prior to applying to most if not all AS programs and rather than lose a year waiting I chose to go the other route. After completion of the two year GPR/AEGD you are eligible to sit for a licensing exam in certain states and after a few years practice (I am not sure on the exact number of years) in those states you may practice in other states if you wish by "reciprocacy." So, in the end if you are only interested in general practice, then either route will suffice in my opinion. Some GPR/AEGDS pay the residents and the ones that dont are much cheaper than an advanced standing program. Youre also going to get great experience and youre going to learn from other experienced doctors. Now if you would like to specialize I have to reccommend Advanced Standing because we are certainly at a big disadvantage with a foreign degree (Which is not to say that its impossible to specialize if you choose the other route, it is just generally safer but it will vary depending on the specialty).

Thanks sneh I appreciate that. I have relatively limited knowledge on the entire process which is why I always reccommend doing your own reseach but I can tell you why I chose GPR/AEGD route over Advanced Standing. I believe the safest route is Advanced Standing because you recieve your US DDS/DMD and you can go anywhere from there; I didnt go that route first because its very expensive and compared to a residency program you are not as challenged clinically in other words you wont see as many patients and get that clinical experience since it will be two more years of dental school (not that its necessarily a bad thing but it was an important factor for me). Another reason was because I wasnt able to apply on time since you need your diploma prior to applying to most if not all AS programs and rather than lose a year waiting I chose to go the other route. After completion of the two year GPR/AEGD you are eligible to sit for a licensing exam in certain states and after a few years practice (I am not sure on the exact number of years) in those states you may practice in other states if you wish by "reciprocacy." So, in the end if you are only interested in general practice, then either route will suffice in my opinion. Some GPR/AEGDS pay the residents and the ones that dont are much cheaper than an advanced standing program. Youre also going to get great experience and youre going to learn from other experienced doctors. Now if you would like to specialize I have to reccommend Advanced Standing because we are certainly at a big disadvantage with a foreign degree (Which is not to say that its impossible to specialize if you choose the other route, it is just generally safer but it will vary depending on the specialty).
Hello OMFSTAIN ,Thank you so much for your wonder information.Actually even i have applied for AEGD and i am more inclined toward it similar reason as yours.I have got interview call from university of rochester and would appreciate if you just help me with this ..Any tips or information will be of great help..I also wanted ot know which all states liables us for the licence ...After AEGD ,person can go for DDS or MS speciality program right as per my research!!

Hello OMFSTAIN ,Thank you so much for your wonder information.Actually even i have applied for AEGD and i am more inclined toward it similar reason as yours.I have got interview call from university of rochester and would appreciate if you just help me with this ..Any tips or information will be of great help..I also wanted ot know which all states liables us for the licence ...After AEGD ,person can go for DDS or MS speciality program right as per my research!!

Unitedcountry, congratulations and goodluck with rochester! That program wasnt even on my radar since theyre not on the PASS search engine. I really dont know about which specific state allows you to sit for licensing exam. I only know you can sit for the Florida exam and I still dont know enough about that process. One step at a time. And yes, after GPR/AEGD and obtaining dental license you can apply for other specialty programs.

@unitedcountry
Hello.
When is your interview at EIOH?
Can you please share your experiences in case you already have attended it.

Members don't see this ad :)
What a great list, OMFSTRAIN! Thank you.

One question though, can you share which states will allow one to sit for a licensing exam with this AEGD/GPR route? I only know of NY and FL.

Hey kkkarli, I really dont know specifically all the states that allow you to sit for the licensing exams. I'm not quite there yet but eventually I will put together a list. The only state I'm worried about allowing us to sit for exam is Florida and I know the allow us to do so. I reccommend contacting each state you are interested in or just every states dental board to figure it out. Thats not information I would really trust on forums, its better to be 100% positive and just do your own research.

Thank you so much for sharing this information! I'm on the same path looking for an AEGD that accpets foreign trained dentists and it's not easy to find the accurate information. I'm also confused with the pass process... Good luck!

Thank you so much for sharing this information! I'm on the same path looking for an AEGD that accpets foreign trained dentists and it's not easy to find the accurate information. I'm also confused with the pass process... Good luck!
Did anybody applied to NOVA 2016?

Thanks for replying ,when did you receive the notification and when did you have the interview?

Thanks for replying ,when did you receive the notification and when did you have the interview?
No problem, I was never offered an interview, I just recieved the rejection via mail about 3 weeks ago more or less.

This is a better, more up to date list of my experience applying to GPR/AEGDs

Attachments

• GPR & AEGD.xlsx
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,978
Very detailed list, I am doing the same, however I applied for a couple of IDP programs, from what country did you get your DDS ?

Hi OMFSTRAIN
Thanks a ton for this info and this thread started by you..
I have been doing my research about the DDS vs AEGD and have gathered quite a bit of info. Still have some questions unanswered...:(
How do ppl from AEGD programs get paid.. ( i got a hint that its less than the DDS guys ).
secondly i read diff posts and got confused about the tuition fees for this program ( some say.. no fees )
also I have only one option of doing it in Rochester, so any idea about the enrollment procedure ??? I tried contacting the admissions dept several time, but unfortunately could not get through. i tried all the possible numbers listed int he website and even sent out email, still waiting for the response.
Any info in this regard will be greatly helpful to me. Thanks in advance

Hey Rounaq, np, from my understanding and from what I have seen, very few if any AEGD programs pay. In fact in most of the AEGDs you have to pay tuition and if they do offer stipends it probably does not cover tuition so as far as I know, theres no income at AEGDs. If anyone knows otherwise, please feel free to correct me on that. And as far as Rochester, I really dont know anything about the program. Thats one of the ones I didnt know existed since I was only looking at the programs on the PASS website.

Hey Rounaq, np, from my understanding and from what I have seen, very few if any AEGD programs pay. In fact in most of the AEGDs you have to pay tuition and if they do offer stipends it probably does not cover tuition so as far as I know, theres no income at AEGDs. If anyone knows otherwise, please feel free to correct me on that. And as far as Rochester, I really dont know anything about the program. Thats one of the ones I didnt know existed since I was only looking at the programs on the PASS website.

Thanks and I really appreciate ur quick response. well I figured out that my way of questioning was wrong... what i meant to ask was, after the aegd certification, how much can we earn per annum..( approx ).
I have another small request. I'm also looking at research options and have been doing my homework on this for quite sometime now. Have googled many sites but end up hitting a wall :(
The reason for this is I'm an old graduate and after my dentistry, I did my post grad in Hosp Management and was working for an Health care company as a Business Analyst. And all the info I came across talks only about grads currently in the school. For a foreign person like me with some gap in the career, I am just not able to figure out how to get a break in the system ( like contacting profs, approaching schools, getting in touch with the researchers )..
So basically any amount of info on this topic or any websites will greatly help me. Just for info, I live in Buffalo and the univ of buffalo ( if I can somehow get into ) will be a good place to further my research dreams.
Thanks again. Have a good one !!!

Hi OMFSTRAIN and Rounaq,
am FTD, passed NBDE part1 and giving part2 next month. I just wanted to know the possible fee towards AEGD/GPR programs. Am Texas resident. Am planning to apply both in state and out of Texas. it will be of great help guys. Am not looking for exact figures, i just want to have a an idea.
Thank you

Hi OMFSTRAIN and Rounaq,
am FTD, passed NBDE part1 and giving part2 next month. I just wanted to know the possible fee towards AEGD/GPR programs. Am Texas resident. Am planning to apply both in state and out of Texas. it will be of great help guys. Am not looking for exact figures, i just want to have a an idea.
Thank you

Hi Veenze
The thing is I have been looking for details just in rochester university as i cant move out of the state and reg the tuition fees, i could not get the info as the applications link is not working currently as they are not accepting any applications right now. The site will start working in March 2016.and any number of phone calls.... never answered. So i guess we just have to wait till march. About other univs, sorry but i have no idea.
Anyone out there has any additional info, please let us know.

Veenze,

The first program you send your PASS application to will cost $190 and then $72 for EACH program after that. On top of that, each program may or may not have supplemental application fees or examination fees. On the list I posted if you scroll to the right you will see the cost of the programs that I applied to; the ones with a dash (-) did not have a fee. Its a pretty expensive process and unless you have solid connections I reccommend applying to as many as you can because as you can see I only got 4 interviews out of the 14 I applied to. In my opinion my biggest downside was not having step 2 completed so try to get that before applying; so that your chances of interview will be much higher.

Thanks and I really appreciate ur quick response. well I figured out that my way of questioning was wrong... what i meant to ask was, after the aegd certification, how much can we earn per annum..( approx ).
I have another small request. I'm also looking at research options and have been doing my homework on this for quite sometime now. Have googled many sites but end up hitting a wall :(
The reason for this is I'm an old graduate and after my dentistry, I did my post grad in Hosp Management and was working for an Health care company as a Business Analyst. And all the info I came across talks only about grads currently in the school. For a foreign person like me with some gap in the career, I am just not able to figure out how to get a break in the system ( like contacting profs, approaching schools, getting in touch with the researchers )..
So basically any amount of info on this topic or any websites will greatly help me. Just for info, I live in Buffalo and the univ of buffalo ( if I can somehow get into ) will be a good place to further my research dreams.
Thanks again. Have a good one !!!

Hi OMFSTRAIN
Any info plzz

Look below for the updated list.
OMFSTRAIN Thank you very much for the information! I hope everyone has the same sharing-is-caring spirit! I have few questions for you:
1- I never knew One can get licensed using different route than the normal sequence of NBDE1&2, Toefl, IDP, board exam, etc. Can you provide a sequence/order on how to get licensed vai AEGD route? or on other words what does it take to get a license through GPR/AEGD?
2- I live in Washington state and is interested in the "Northwest Dental Residency" but this requires "Accept foreign graduates after 1 year of ADA approved program." what is an example of 1 year approved program? Do you know of any programs in Washington or nearby? or at least an example? All the programs I know of does not accept FTD.

Thank you so much!

OMFSTRAIN Thank you very much for the information! I hope everyone has the same sharing-is-caring spirit! I have few questions for you:
1- I never knew One can get licensed using different route than the normal sequence of NBDE1&2, Toefl, IDP, board exam, etc. Can you provide a sequence/order on how to get licensed vai AEGD route? or on other words what does it take to get a license through GPR/AEGD?
2- I live in Washington state and is interested in the "Northwest Dental Residency" but this requires "Accept foreign graduates after 1 year of ADA approved program." what is an example of 1 year approved program? Do you know of any programs in Washington or nearby? or at least an example? All the programs I know of does not accept FTD.

Thank you so much!

Youre welcome man, yes there a few options but it really is going to depend in my opinion on your immigration status and what you want. I really dont know too much about the laws for people that arent citizens or residents so i can only give you my experience (being an american citizen who studied out of the country). Basically I had 3 options, Advanced Standing/IDP; Specialization; AEGD/GPR. The IDP wasnt right for me this year because I needed to have my diploma and both boards passed to apply so I decided on GPR/AEGD because unless you get a general dentistry license first (at least for the specialty I looked into) you cannot practice that specialty.

So to put it simply, same order as IDP; NBDE 1&2, TEOFL, AEGD/GPR, licensing exam. To qualify to take the licensing exam through AEGD/GPR depending on state law, in my case florida, you must complete 2 CONSECUTIVE years of either of those programs. So same amount of time as most IDP but completely clinical. Biggest downside is you are limited to which states you can practice in since you wont have an american DDS and you also wont have the liberty of applying to any specialty program avaliable just the ones that accept foriegners.

In terms of Northwest, the only way you could go there is if you do a year of AEGD/GPR at another program. In washington i know Howard University has both a GPR and an AEGD. All the programs on my list have the states labeled and those are all the programs I found on PASS that accept foriegn grads although there is always a chance that there are others as these things change often and some arent on PASS.

Youre welcome man, yes there a few options but it really is going to depend in my opinion on your immigration status and what you want. I really dont know too much about the laws for people that arent citizens or residents so i can only give you my experience (being an american citizen who studied out of the country). Basically I had 3 options, Advanced Standing/IDP; Specialization; AEGD/GPR. The IDP wasnt right for me this year because I needed to have my diploma and both boards passed to apply so I decided on GPR/AEGD because unless you get a general dentistry license first (at least for the specialty I looked into) you cannot practice that specialty.

So to put it simply, same order as IDP; NBDE 1&2, TEOFL, AEGD/GPR, licensing exam. To qualify to take the licensing exam through AEGD/GPR depending on state law, in my case florida, you must complete 2 CONSECUTIVE years of either of those programs. So same amount of time as most IDP but completely clinical. Biggest downside is you are limited to which states you can practice in since you wont have an american DDS and you also wont have the liberty of applying to any specialty program avaliable just the ones that accept foriegners.

In terms of Northwest, the only way you could go there is if you do a year of AEGD/GPR at another program. In washington i know Howard University has both a GPR and an AEGD. All the programs on my list have the states labeled and those are all the programs I found on PASS that accept foriegn grads although there is always a chance that there are others as these things change often and some arent on PASS.

OMFSTRAIN , you are AWESOME! Thanks again for the details!
I'm a US citizen, so that should not be a problem. I was hoping to find GPR/AEGD program in WA State. I am not ready to move to East Coast/Howard university due to personal commitments. Also I am not sure WA State accepts GPR/AEGD. Their web site says 2 years of DDS is the requirement and has no mention of GPR/AEGD. Please let me know if you run through any GPR/AEGD near Seattle area or the Northwest in general.

Just wanted to update, might as well since today was Match day; it wasnt easy, quite stressful but I was able to match at Howard U. AEGD. If I can do it, any foriegn grad can. Just have to have faith and give it your best shot. Goodluck guys and congrats to everyone that was able to Match. To those that didnt, you just have to look at it as an opportunity to work on your resume. Dont give up.

Congratulation, did you have an interview already at Howard?

Just wanted to update, might as well since today was Match day; it wasnt easy, quite stressful but I was able to match at Howard U. AEGD. If I can do it, any foriegn grad can. Just have to have faith and give it your best shot. Goodluck guys and congrats to everyone that was able to Match. To those that didnt, you just have to look at it as an opportunity to work on your resume. Dont give up.
Congrats OMFSTRAIN unfortunately I did not match this year, I thing I need to improve my application and try again!! I am new in this and I was not able to see the list for the program's who take ITD... Can you post it again please?

Congrats OMFSTRAIN unfortunately I did not match this year, I thing I need to improve my application and try again!! I am new in this and I was not able to see the list for the program's who take ITD... Can you post it again please?
SiDentist16, To find the list, go up until you find this post "This is a better, more up to date list of my experience applying to GPR/AEGDs..." YThe Excel sheet is attached to that post.

OMFSTRAIN,
First and foremost, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I hope you enjoy your time at the college.
Could you please share your experience with the schools you applied-to? How were the interviews? some words of advice..etc.
Sorry for asking many questions, but the info you share is really beneficial to us.
Thanks much!

Congratulations OMFS
OMFSTRAIN,
First and foremost, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I hope you enjoy your time at the college.
Could you please share your experience with the schools you applied-to? How were the interviews? some words of advice..etc.
Sorry for asking many questions, but the info you share is really beneficial to us.
Thanks much!
Congratulations OMFSTRAIN it's good to hear that. Your hard work has paid.
I have a question regarding AEGD Program , I had given part 1 in 2012 and part 2 in 2014. Is my exam still valid for application in AEGD. Besides it will be really helpful if you can or someone here tell me which AEGD OR GPR PROGRAMS accept foreign nationals. Also could you tell us how to make our application for AEGD more strong.
Thanks

Hello OMFSTRAIN.... I just do not understand how come did you get in to the AEGD from Howard U. Their website says Must be a graduate of an accredited dental school..... another thing is... did u do this right now on January 2016? thank you!!

Hi OMFSTRAIN and Rounaq,
Thank you
Hello,
Texas doesnt consider AEGD as a specialty and will not let you sit for licensure/regional exam. Please search for more, I am telling you as far as I know

If one got accepted as GPR and during the residency he/she was accepted in an IDP. Is there any commitment to complete all the one year of GPR then go to the IDP or just quit as simple.:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Last edited:
Wonderful, dedicated work. Thank you so much.
you are super organized, by the way.
Wish you the best

Look below for the updated list.
can not find link?

You can find link in comment box #22

Thank you so much Omfstrain for your kind help. I'm 46 years old internationally trained dentist. I have been practicing as a general dentist outside the US since graduation. I Passed NPDE 1 & 2 since 4 years ago. I have been applying since 3 years and unfortunately until now I'm not admitted to any program. My toefl score is low 81. I got 2 interviews but no admission. I feel depressed . I'm going to improve my tofel score. Do you think they prefer younger candidate? I feel I still have that dreamDo you have any advice? Thank you.

Thank you so much Omfstrain for your kind help. I'm 46 years old internationally trained dentist. I have been practicing as a general dentist outside the US since graduation. I Passed NPDE 1 & 2 since 4 years ago. I have been applying since 3 years and unfortunately until now I'm not admitted to any program. My toefl score is low 81. I got 2 interviews but no admission. I feel depressed . I'm going to improve my tofel score. Do you think they prefer younger candidate? I feel I still have that dreamDo you have any advice? Thank you.

I sent you a PM