Air Force or loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Margeeann

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I need some input and advice!
I’m 20 years old and currently am a nationally certified expanded functions dental assistant. I finished school in November and got a job right away! I am planning on going to dental school but I’m trying to find the best route to take! I still need to get my bachelors in biology and then apply to dental school. Trying to figure out weather to go through the Air Force so it’s paid for or to take out loans? Any input would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Serving your country is something that nobody can ever take away from you and is truly an honorable thing. I dont think you'd have any regrets if you went this route.

Reactions: 2 users
Chair force all the way.
Just know that you might end up in a foreign country for a few years after dental school. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Chair force all the way.
Just know that you might end up in a foreign country for a few years after dental school. Good luck.
The chair force will send them to the nicest resort available in said foreign country

Reactions: 2 users
How far are you into your undergrad degree? Let’s make sure our cart and horse are in the right spots. That said, the HPSP is a good deal and it’s definitely becoming more and more competitive. You’ll need to apply for the HPSP at the same time you’re applying to dental school.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I need some input and advice!
I’m 20 years old and currently am a nationally certified expanded functions dental assistant. I finished school in November and got a job right away! I am planning on going to dental school but I’m trying to find the best route to take! I still need to get my bachelors in biology and then apply to dental school. Trying to figure out weather to go through the Air Force so it’s paid for or to take out loans? Any input would be appreciated!
Air Force all the way. But like Hoss mentioned, it's quite competitive. Apply to all 3 branches and reap the rewards.

How far are you into your undergrad degree? Let’s make sure our cart and horse are in the right spots. That said, the HPSP is a good deal and it’s definitely becoming more and more competitive. You’ll need to apply for the HPSP at the same time you’re applying to dental school.

Big Hoss
I am a little over 2 years into my undergraduate degree, I planned on getting my bachelors before joining so I could join as an officer. Silly of me but what is HPSP? Thank you !!

I am a little over 2 years into my undergraduate degree, I planned on getting my bachelors before joining so I could join as an officer. Silly of me but what is HPSP? Thank you !!
I talked to a dentist I work for an he strongly suggested joining the Air Force for school after my undergraduate is complete. Just don’t know about joining active or reserves. Thank you so much for your input!!

Big Hoss
I talked to a dentist I work for an he strongly suggested joining the Air Force for school after my undergraduate is complete. Just don’t know about joining active or reserves. Thank you so much for your input!!

Chair force all the way.
I don’t think I would mind so much! As long as I was practicing dentistry! It would be nice to see the world

Depends. If you have a SO who also works, it might be worth it to just take out loans. Debt isn't all that bad, as many people make it out to be. Listen to some pod casts that touch on this subject. There's pros and cons for both, so it depends on you.

HPSP = Health Professions Scholarship Program. Basically, the military will pay your tuition/fees plus give you a fixed stipend to live on and you are obligated to serve as a dentist a year for a year. You will apply to the HPSP at the same time you are applying to dental school. The HPSP has become pretty competitive recently as dental school tuition has crossed into the realm of the absurd. Last I had heard, the Navy has about a 50% acceptance rate for the HPSP.

If you have to take out $500,000+ in student loans, which is becoming increasingly more common these days, your monthly payment will be just shy of $4,000 for the next TWENTY YEARS. And that is money you have to come up with after paying taxes, which means you need to earn $60,000 give or take just to not default on your loans. If you end up doing a specialty residency, this can add another $200,000 - $300,000 to your loan total as many programs charge tuition. Starting salaries for associate dentists are only around $120,000.

Unlike what @Teeth4Life1234 said above, debt IS all that bad. He or she is attending one of the most expensive dental schools in the country and did a masters degree there prior, according to my SDN stalking. I'd wager they will graduate with close to $600,000 in student loans, unless they have some family money. I can all but guarantee their tune will change the minute they enter loan repayment. Any takers on that bet?

Best of luck to you in reaching your goals.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
This scholarship is closed for the upcoming 2018 cycle right?

This scholarship is closed for the upcoming 2018 cycle right?
You are late to the game if you're starting school this fall. I am not too sure how the 3 year scholarship works. I've read they offer those to people who applied for the 4 year scholarship, but weren't accepted. If you are interested in the HPSP, I'd encourage you to talk to your local Navy, Army, and/or AF recruiter.

Big Hoss

HPSP = Health Professions Scholarship Program. Basically, the military will pay your tuition/fees plus give you a fixed stipend to live on and you are obligated to serve as a dentist a year for a year. You will apply to the HPSP at the same time you are applying to dental school. The HPSP has become pretty competitive recently as dental school tuition has crossed into the realm of the absurd. Last I had heard, the Navy has about a 50% acceptance rate for the HPSP.

If you have to take out $500,000+ in student loans, which is becoming increasingly more common these days, your monthly payment will be just shy of $4,000 for the next TWENTY YEARS. And that is money you have to come up with after paying taxes, which means you need to earn $60,000 give or take just to not default on your loans. If you end up doing a specialty residency, this can add another $200,000 - $300,000 to your loan total as many programs charge tuition. Starting salaries for associate dentists are only around $120,000.

Unlike what @Teeth4Life1234 said above, debt IS all that bad. He or she is attending one of the most expensive dental schools in the country and did a masters degree there prior, according to my SDN stalking. I'd wager they will graduate with close to $600,000 in student loans, unless they have some family money. I can all but guarantee their tune will change the minute they enter loan repayment. Any takers on that bet?

Best of luck to you in reaching your goals.

Big Hoss

That's why there's REPAYE :)

That's why there's REPAYE :)
And your monthly payment likely won’t even cover your accrued interest. Any ideas how you’ll keep your loans from snowballing out of control and likewise how you’ll pay that tax bomb at the end of 20 years? Oh, and let’s hope the government doesn’t cap the loan forgiveness by then.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
You are late to the game if you're starting school this fall. I am not too sure how the 3 year scholarship works. I've read they offer those to people who applied for the 4 year scholarship, but weren't accepted. If you are interested in the HPSP, I'd encourage you to talk to your local Navy, Army, and/or AF recruiter.

Big Hoss
Thank you so much! You have been so helpful! I had a pre dental meeting and have come to the conclusion that I won’t be able to work part time as an assistant and also take all the required prerequisites for dental school. Considering joining the airforce for my undergraduate also and then apply to dental school and HPSP at the same time!

Thank you so much! You have been so helpful! I had a pre dental meeting and have come to the conclusion that I won’t be able to work part time as an assistant and also take all the required prerequisites for dental school. Considering joining the airforce for my undergraduate also and then apply to dental school and HPSP at the same time!
I believe it can be tricky to apply for the HPSP if you are already obligated to military service, i.e. ROTC to pay for undergrad. @schmoob can probably give a bit more info on that. He knows the ins and outs better than I do. So, I will defer to the expert.

Big Hoss

Just an aside from someone who's worn a uniform. @OP I wouldn't think of it as a loan. The Air Force doesn't do loans. Indentured servitude has a kind ring to it, but slavery with a nominal paycheck is more accurate. I'm not saying this to dissuade you, you may have a great time, I did occasionally too, but you shouldn't enter into this with the strict mindset it's a good way to pay for school, make sure you want to wear the uniform. Personally, I'd suggest the Navy if you do.

SDN has all sorts of good information on the HPSP. Take some time and research it on here because it's a great opportunity. Not having to worry about debt or a job after dental school is amazing. But keep in mind that the Air Force has the least number of scholarships to give out of the three branches, so you need to make sure your application is very strong (high GPA, high DAT, meaningful volunteer/leadership/work experiences).