Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Yiot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figuered I would hop on here and inform you guys with what was going on with the school. I called because I wanted to know if we would be able to apply this summer for the entering class of 2012 and gain some more information about the school. I spoke briefly with a June Flaim who was very polite and informative of the schools program.

1) when will you be accepting applications for admission?

they will be accepting applications for the entering class of 2013. The accredidation process is complicated so they are running slighly behind schedule.

2) Will the school have an IS or Regional Bias?

The schools mission is to give back to the state of Alabama, so preference will be given to Alabama residents, however they suspect the whole class will not be made of primarily Alabama residents so all are encouraged to apply. However, if two students have identical stats and 1 of them is an AL resident, preference will be given to him or her. She doesnt believe there will be a difference bw IS or OOS tuition.

3) Where is the School in terms of rotation sites?

She believed this was the strongest part of the COM

The Hospital they are affiliated with already allows medical students to rotate there from other schools. In addition to South Alabama Medical Center, rotation sites are bieng set up all across the state for the COM students.

Also, predicted by 2014 there will be new residency programs at SAMC.

I figuered I would share my info for the prospective applicants for the entering class of 2013:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I forgot to mention. Sorry if this was already posted or if people already knew of this. if not well then enjoy lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Rotation sites ... THEN open the school up - the horse BEFORE the cart! Of course! So simple; why didn't I see it before :smuggrin:

Good to hear they are trying to make it legit (get clinicals in order then press forward with accepting students). It will be nice to have a solid DO school in the South, as, from what I understand, it's one of the places where the bias still exists (something the South isn't usually known for :smuggrin:)

Okay, I'll stop making fun of things now.

Rotation sites ... THEN open the school up - the horse BEFORE the cart! Of course! So simple; why didn't I see it before :smuggrin:

Good to hear they are trying to make it legit (get clinicals in order then press forward with accepting students). It will be nice to have a solid DO school in the South, as, from what I understand, it's one of the places where the bias still exists (something the South isn't usually known for :smuggrin:)

Okay, I'll stop making fun of things now.
It does sound that they are doing things the right way. as for biases in the south, you are right, there are many but PCOM Georgia is down there now and nova is in the deep south. also VCOM carolinas 2. so hopefully the bias will eventuatlly subside

BTW as for another school that actually happens to be a branch campus in the south, my aunt lives in hendersonville NC about 45 minutes from spartanburg and 25 minutes from asheville. I have been to spartanburg and a lot of the rotation sites for vcom are also in hendersonville and asheville. they have some great hospitals down there as well. So that is also another school that has established some great rotation sites.

It does sound that they are doing things the right way. as for biases in the south, you are right, there are many but PCOM Georgia is down there now and nova is in the deep south. also VCOM carolinas 2. so hopefully the bias will eventuatlly subside

BTW as for another school that actually happens to be a branch campus in the south, my aunt lives in hendersonville NC about 45 minutes from spartanburg and 25 minutes from asheville. I have been to spartanburg and a lot of the rotation sites for vcom are also in hendersonville and asheville. they have some great hospitals down there as well. So that is also another school that has established some great rotation sites.

I would not consider NOVA to be "deep south". You can hardly consider Florida as part of the south. Yes, geographically its south. However, most people in florida are transplants, especially in the Nova area!

Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana= DEEP south

Reactions: 1 user
They're probably going to plug students into the Alabama Medical Consortium. Same place as the SOMA Alabama rotations. It's a great program, or so I'm told.

I would not consider NOVA to be "deep south". You can hardly consider Florida as part of the south. Yes, geographically its south. However, most people in florida are transplants, especially in the Nova area!

Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana= DEEP south
i see what your saying and I agree. nova isnt the deep south, it is geographically south. there are however, like any and most other states, rural areas so It is considered a good thing to have a school in any part of the south. IMO. but your right its not the same as georgia, sc, Louisianna, MS, AL TX etc