2023-2024 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Secondary Prompt (thank you @saras07 !):

Before starting your supplemental application, you should respond to the following questions in essay style. You will be limited to a 250-word count for each question. Save both essays. You will be able to Cut & Paste your responses in the specific text boxes in the application.

a. Describe how specific attributes of ACOM’s mission and core values align with your professional goals and personal attributes?

b.
The Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine promotes values and equity from various cultural, social, and economic backgrounds. Discuss the role that diversity played in your decision to become an osteopathic medical school applicant.

c. What are your personal attributes that demonstrate the osteopathic philosophy? (500 words or less)

Click on the button below to access the supplemental application hosted on your microsite. You must complete the supplemental application once you begin. There is no option to save the information and return later. Please note you will need to fill out the inquiry form to access your personal microsite.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Rising OMS-3, currently in dedicated for boards. Feel free to reach out with any questions you may have about ACOM, Dothan, or HPSP. Wishing you all the best of luck this cycle!

Reactions: 3 users
Rising OMS-3, currently in dedicated for boards. Feel free to reach out with any questions you may have about ACOM, Dothan, or HPSP. Wishing you all the best of luck this cycle!
Are preclinical lectures still mandatory?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are preclinical lectures still mandatory?
Currently (and I'm not sure how long this will stay, but I'm hopeful that it's the new normal for future classes), lectures are not mandatory. You can attend class live in-person, live on Zoom, or watch the recordings/look at the powerpoints later. You will still have to attend all labs, guest lectures, small groups, some mandatory activities, etc., but most lectures are non-mandatory attendance. The "dress code" for most days will just be scrubs, but you'll have to wear shorts/ACOM t-shirt for OPP and clinical skills labs, and white coat w/ professional dress for guest lectures and patient/sim encounters.

Reactions: 1 user
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Received email with secondaries this morning, OOS. Submitted primary on 5/26.

Before starting your supplemental application, you should respond to the following questions in essay style. You will be limited to a 250-word count for each question. Save both essays. You will be able to Cut & Paste your responses in the specific text boxes in the application.

a. Describe how specific attributes of ACOM’s mission and core values align with your professional goals and personal attributes?

b.
The Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine promotes values and equity from various cultural, social, and economic backgrounds. Discuss the role that diversity played in your decision to become an osteopathic medical school applicant.

c. What are your personal attributes that demonstrate the osteopathic philosophy? (500 words or less)

Click on the button below to access the supplemental application hosted on your microsite. You must complete the supplemental application once you begin. There is no option to save the information and return later. Please note you will need to fill out the inquiry form to access your personal microsite.

thank you im very excited! i was completed and verified with accomas 5/17 submitted acom secondary shortly after and was marked complete by them 5/23.
I wonder if that’s typical of schools to send out interview so early? I’m honestly just surprised because I thought they send the secondary in June and interviews in August/ September. Congrats though! 🎉

thank you im very excited! i was completed and verified with accomas 5/17 submitted acom secondary shortly after and was marked complete by them 5/23.
Congrats! Can you provide a little more insight into your application (scores, GPA, experiences)?

Congrats! Can you provide a little more insight into your application (scores, GPA, experiences)?
sure! Im orm, non trad (old 32 lol) 15k hours as a PA, lots of other clinical experiences before becoming a PA (volunteering, cna etc.), 503 mcat, 3.5 cgpa, 3.46 sgpa, PA school gpa 3.8, 200 hours volunteering for our town organizing events for children (my kids are involved so I help out), 100 hours bs research for an MD years ago (collected data from patients in his office about lifestyle habits etc.) no papers or pubs or anything out of it. Solid recs from physicians (one DO) who I have worked directly with for years, took a really great photo for my secondaries (some require that)...

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if that’s typical of schools to send out interview so early? I’m honestly just surprised because I thought they send the secondary in June and interviews in August/ September. Congrats though! 🎉
yes i was like in disbelief lol i also felt it was way to early to hear anything yet...still kind of think they made a mistake but whatever gonna roll with it!

yes i was like in disbelief lol i also felt it was way to early to hear anything yet...still kind of think they made a mistake but whatever gonna roll with it!

Take the blessing and cash in on it! I just turned in my secondary today, so I'm hoping to follow in your direction.

My record is a mess though.

Members don't see this ad :)
hang in there! it aint over till its over, best of luck on your apps!
You too!

I just hope to get somewhere this time around. I applied so much earlier than before, but I hope it is early enough.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if ACOM will accept a letter from my undergraduate Evolution professor I took in 2019; the letter is dated within a year. The class course is PCB4674 with PCB = Process Biology, but I don't know if they'll consider it a biology course. Secondly, will they even accept it if I have done a postbacc and masters since that course? These were both online, and I didn't build a connection with those professors. TIA :)

Does anyone know if Alabama COM requires Casper? When logging into discover.acom it says "submit casper" however I can't find ACOM on the reservation/distribution list for Casper - not sure if my app is complete?

Does anyone know if Alabama COM requires Casper? When logging into discover.acom it says "submit casper" however I can't find ACOM on the reservation/distribution list for Casper - not sure if my app is complete?
yeah I had the same issue it just doesnt show up as somewhere you can send it, I sent them something in the microsite thing but never got a response so I am not sure.

Someone on Reddit said they called, and they said they didn't require it.

received II today OOS

How did you find out? Through Email?

Yeah. This is the message I got:

Thank you for your application to the Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM). We have completed a full review of the documents you provided. The Admissions Committee has not selected you for an interview at this time.

ACOM receives over 5,000 applications a year and there are a number of factors influencing admissions decisions. A competitive admissions review, including GPA and MCAT scores, along with your required experiences result in improved chances for an interview.

Please continue to keep your AACOMAS application updated. We are automatically notified when you make changes to your application.

Again, thank you for your interest in ACOM.

I assume that I'm now out of the running because of this letter.

Last edited:

Thank you for your application to the Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM). We have completed a full review of the documents you provided. The Admissions Committee has not selected you for an interview at this time.

ACOM receives over 5,000 applications a year and there are a number of factors influencing admissions decisions. A competitive admissions review, including GPA and MCAT scores, along with your required experiences result in improved chances for an interview.

Please continue to keep your AACOMAS application updated. We are automatically notified when you make changes to your application.

Oh. My application has been complete since May 31st and they put me on Interview Waitlist Hold. I think it's because of my MCAT being a 500. Although my cGPA is a 3.84 and sGPA is a 3.7, I guess I am bound to get a rejection.

I haven't heard anything from them.

Oh. My application has been complete since May 31st and they put me on Interview Waitlist Hold. I think it's because of my MCAT being a 500. Although my cGPA is a 3.84 and sGPA is a 3.7, I guess I am bound to get a rejection.
I guess that is where I am.

I wonder if they reject anybody outright for this round? Are there folks who are firmly out of the running?

Pretty meh overall: low 3s GPA, 49X MCAT and an academic IA from a professional school.

My strengths though are my extensive ECs, which includes research and clinical experience, and a 3.65 in a SMP, which was done after the IA.
Oh ok, when was your application complete for ACOM?

Nothing of note stat wise, definitely below average with my GPA 3.2X cGPA and 3.1X sGPA but a 4.0 in postbacc (~30 credits)
50X MCAT, but decent ECs with lots of hours in clinical and non-clinical, strong LORs and strong writing. I am also a non-trad, OOS, and ORM if that means anything to ya.
When was app complete?

Anyone else did not receive a secondary here yet? Verified on 6/13 , no confirmation nor secondary yet.

I'm submitted my primary app June 8th, and still have yet to hear back for a secondary. Does it usually take this long for ACOM?

Received secondary, OOS.
However, I do not have an advisor letter, and the substitute for that is 2 science letters. I have multiple physician letters (DO & MD) as well as supervisor letters. Anyways, I only have one science letter for that requirement..... will they even consider me because of this?

Received secondary, OOS.
However, I do not have an advisor letter, and the substitute for that is 2 science letters. I have multiple physician letters (DO & MD) as well as supervisor letters. Anyways, I only have one science letter for that requirement..... will they even consider me because of this?
Have you been out of school for more than 2 years. I am in the same boat, however if you’ve been out of school for 2+ years they allow a supervisor letter + MD/DO.

Have you been out of school for more than 2 years. I am in the same boat, however if you’ve been out of school for 2+ years they allow a supervisor letter + MD/DO.
Unfortunately, not. :( Not sure if I should submit the secondary if they won't even consider me

Supplemental Invitation Received, OOS