2023-2024 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you guys send a thank you email to your interviewer? I kind of forgot 🥲
I did and received a kind response back from that faculty member.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
When you guys did the interview did your microsite change or did it still state that interview is requested. I got an email this morning about interview dates but i already did my interview so i'm kind of confused

When you guys did the interview did your microsite change or did it still state that interview is requested. I got an email this morning about interview dates but i already did my interview so i'm kind of confused
I got the same email this morning and I already did my interview last week. I am sure its nothing bad :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed last week and got the email this morning as well. My microsite still says interview requested too. System probably hasn't refreshed yet since the interview committee just met to make decisions.

Interviewed on 1/26 in-person just got waitlisted moments ago....the interviewer seemed to really like me and she said my application was stellar but oh well.....

Accepted! Interviewed 1/26 in person, accepted just now!! I refreshed my microsite prob 100 times in the last hour and it was there a few minutes ago. No email or call yet.

ETA: my interviewer was absolutely brutal. A lot of ethics, definitely the hardest medical school interview ive heard of in terms of questions and discussions. None of the questions I was asked were alluded to on SDN for the school, I was blindsided in the interview completely and no amount of prep questions/tips online would have prepared me for that.

Last edited:
Accepted! Interviewed 1/26 in person, accepted just now!! I refreshed my microsite prob 100 times in the last hour and it was there a few minutes ago. No email or call yet.

ETA: my interviewer was absolutely brutal. A lot of ethics, definitely the hardest medical school interview ive heard of in terms of questions and discussions. None of the questions I was asked were alluded to on SDN for the school, I was blindsided in the interview completely and no amount of prep questions/tips online would have prepared me for that.
Congratulations!!!

• Care
Interviewed on 1/26 in-person just got waitlisted moments ago....the interviewer seemed to really like me and she said my application was stellar but oh well.....
Waitlisted as well... kinda sad I really wanted to go to ACOM

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
GL to everyone! I just declined my acceptance last week. I hope one of yall get that A soon !

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students comment on the following:

1. Closest airport(s) and general travel advice
2. Apartments: How much is rent/cost of living typically?
3. Is there a bus/transit system on/near campus?

Can any current students comment on the following:

1. Closest airport(s) and general travel advice
2. Apartments: How much is rent/cost of living typically?
3. Is there a bus/transit system on/near campus?
1.) There is an airport in Dothan, but flying in and out, while convenient, can be expensive. A lot of people use ECP (Panama City Beach airport) or fly in/out of Atlanta. You won't necessarily have a ton of free time to travel out of town, but when you do, I would recommend using ECP.

2.) Rent is decently affordable, as well. Apartments at Summerfield (on-campus apartments) tend to be around $1150 or so for a 1 bedroom. You could also rent somewhere like Highland Hills/Magnolia Preserve for around the same or maybe a bit more. Some students rent homes in the area for anywhere from $800ish to mid-$2000s. Definitely use the Facebook page if you're interested in finding cheap rentals/deals from other students or alums. The cost of living in Dothan is not bad, at all. I was able to comfortably live at Summerfield on my HPSP stipend.

3.) No, and public transportation options are limited in Dothan. I would say that having a car (or access to one) is required. If you live at Summerfield, you can walk/bike to campus, but getting to town for groceries or other needs would be difficult without a car.

I hope this helps!

1.) There is an airport in Dothan, but flying in and out, while convenient, can be expensive. A lot of people use ECP (Panama City Beach airport) or fly in/out of Atlanta. You won't necessarily have a ton of free time to travel out of town, but when you do, I would recommend using ECP.

2.) Rent is decently affordable, as well. Apartments at Summerfield (on-campus apartments) tend to be around $1150 or so for a 1 bedroom. You could also rent somewhere like Highland Hills/Magnolia Preserve for around the same or maybe a bit more. Some students rent homes in the area for anywhere from $800ish to mid-$2000s. Definitely use the Facebook page if you're interested in finding cheap rentals/deals from other students or alums. The cost of living in Dothan is not bad, at all. I was able to comfortably live at Summerfield on my HPSP stipend.

3.) No, and public transportation options are limited in Dothan. I would say that having a car (or access to one) is required. If you live at Summerfield, you can walk/bike to campus, but getting to town for groceries or other needs would be difficult without a car.

I hope this helps!
Thank you!

Does anyone know when the deposit is due—like is it from the date you receive deposit information?

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the deposit is due—like is it from the date you receive deposit information?
I believe it is 2 weeks from the date you receive the deposit email.

Has anyone received the accepted students box?? I wanna know what’s in it

Have an interview coming up on the 23rd. I've seen some mixed comments about the difficulty with the interview. Anyone have any tips on how to prepare for it?

Have an interview coming up on the 23rd. I've seen some mixed comments about the difficulty with the interview. Anyone have any tips on how to prepare for it?
It was the most conversational and easy going! I only had one interviewer

It was the most conversational and easy going! I only had one interviewer
Awesome! Thank you. I think I'm starting to get nervous about it since the interview is close. ACOM is definitely my top choice.

I prepared the typical why ACOM, why medicine/DO, etc. I also only had one interviewer. I would definitely recommend reviewing your app. My interviewer had my application up on her screen and directly referenced it several times. Overall it was very low-stress and conversational. Good luck!

Awesome! Thank you. I think I'm starting to get nervous about it since the interview is close. ACOM is definitely my top choice.
Definitely agree with everyone else! ACOM is such a great place to interview, you will do amazing king!

Also, I highly suggest for you to review the interview questions listed here. Almost all of my interview questions came from here. Good luck, you got this!

I absolutely do not want to scare you, but my interview was brutal. When I discussed with the other interviewees that day, they all definitely had the typical questions from SDN while I did not. It was clear I was in such a minority group in terms of interview questions, but I just want to give a heads up that it could happen. I had brutal ethics questions, had to give my stance on a controversial ethics question, and was confronted to give clear answers about what I thought and how I would approach situations. It seems as though my interviewer was one of their only interviewers that deals out those types of questions. My answer did not necessarily matter to the interviewer, but they wanted to see that I could form an informed decision and be able to defend that, whatever the answer may be or the opinion may be. They wanted to see me commit to a decision essentially given the changing healthcare field of ethics.
I got none of the questions that were on SDN other than "why DO instead of MD?". Interview was one on one, about 30 minutes, interviewer was nice but hard to read, sometimes they would get very serious then relaxed shortly after. I did get an A about 6 days after my interview in Jan and put my deposit down yesterday for them.

I absolutely do not want to scare you, but my interview was brutal. When I discussed with the other interviewees that day, they all definitely had the typical questions from SDN while I did not. It was clear I was in such a minority group in terms of interview questions, but I just want to give a heads up that it could happen. I had brutal ethics questions, had to give my stance on a controversial ethics question, and was confronted to give clear answers about what I thought and how I would approach situations. It seems as though my interviewer was one of their only interviewers that deals out those types of questions. My answer did not necessarily matter to the interviewer, but they wanted to see that I could form an informed decision and be able to defend that, whatever the answer may be or the opinion may be. They wanted to see me commit to a decision essentially given the changing healthcare field of ethics.
I got none of the questions that were on SDN other than "why DO instead of MD?". Interview was one on one, about 30 minutes, interviewer was nice but hard to read, sometimes they would get very serious then relaxed shortly after. I did get an A about 6 days after my interview in Jan and put my deposit down yesterday for them.
I think I’m most nervous because I just got rejected by ARCOM post interview. I pretty much said the same thing I’ve been saying in my previous interviews, which netted me a provisional acceptance and a waitlist spot. ARCOM seemed a little weird about me being from Dothan.

I think I’m most nervous because I just got rejected by ARCOM post interview. I pretty much said the same thing I’ve been saying in my previous interviews, which netted me a provisional acceptance and a waitlist spot. ARCOM seemed a little weird about me being from Dothan.
I loved ACOM and if you're a good interviewer and have a good reason for ACOM over other schools, then you have a good shot. I loved the school personally and knew when I left that day that ACOM would be my school. Didn't even interview elsewhere yet at that time, but I felt very good there and expressed that to the interviewer and also in my follow up email to them. The people doing the interview tours, not the actual interviewers, seemed to love the Dothan candidates and really enjoyed conversations with them compared to the non dothan candidates.

I just wanted to pop in to say good luck to everyone! I'm a current OMS-I at ACOM and would be happy to answer any questions any of you may have about the school or Dothan in general. Feel free to DM me

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how much the waitlist moves. I am on the waitlist and this is one of my top choices. Does anybody have any data from last year and like when does that take place. Thank you

I’m pretty sure that around April/May you’ll see movement. That’s when the “deadline” to commit to a school is (although that’s a loose definition). When I called they said they’ll start placing people on the priority waitlist and select most of the people from there. So high GPA and MCAT get placed on the PWL.

Acom was one of my favorites out of the many interviews I received. The individual asked mainly about my application, and the basic why here why do. Zero ethics or situational Q’s. Can’t say enough how conversational it was

I’m pretty sure that around April/May you’ll see movement. That’s when the “deadline” to commit to a school is (although that’s a loose definition). When I called they said they’ll start placing people on the priority waitlist and select most of the people from there. So high GPA and MCAT get placed on the PWL.

Will they let applicants know if they get placed on the PWL? They start doing this in April?

If you look back in previous threads they started earlier I think. But when I called I asked about it and they said they’d start placing people on the PWL not sure when though.

I just received an envelope with an acceptance certificate and pamphlet haha no box

I take this back haha just came back from the experience ACOM event and they gave us a lot of goodies! Hopefully for those that can’t make it they’ll ship it to you

I take this back haha just came back from the experience ACOM event and they gave us a lot of goodies! Hopefully for those that can’t make it they’ll ship it to you
I think they are trying to have another event like that later this cycle for those accepted right at and after the cut off for this event.

Have they notified students if they are on the priority waitlist already or not yet?

Withdrew my acceptance today. Hope this helps someone out there. Best of luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how much the waitlist moves. I am on the waitlist and this is one of my top choices. Does anybody have any data from last year and like when does that take place. Thank you

If you would go to ACOM if accepted, send a letter of intent! This could help you get off the waitlist🫶

Did anyone hear back from the 2/26 interview date? For some reason I thought I heard that they will let us know today during the info session on Friday (3/1) but I could be wrong.

Any recent interview invites? I submitted everything back in October and have been on interview waitlist - hold. I recently submitted and update letter with my new MCAT (from 500 - 509) and am hoping they still have interviews to give.

Has anyone from the 3/1 interview group heard anything yet? I feel like a crazy person checking my email