This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sorryimlate

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, apologies if I am not using this forum right. I literally just became a member so I'm new to everything.
So long story short. I went to school and got my BA in Social Work. I am about to finish with my masters in it as well, and the goal was to graduate and get my LCSW so I could open my own therapeutic practice. However my current internship, which is working at a hospital (on the more case management side) has taken me by surprise in the sense that I've fallen in love with medicine.
I love doing rounds, I enjoy learning from the doctors more than the people who are more in my department and I can't stop thinking about going back to school for medicine. So long story short Ive fallen in love.
I thought about doing medicine on many occasions before but I was never amazing at science and math (got A's but fought HARD to do it) so I never pursued it because I didn't have faith in myself. Now I do. I am 24 in a few months and really heavily contemplating going back to college for this once I finish getting my MSW. Is it an impossible task? Any advice and brutal honesty would be heavily appreciated! Also if anyone has experience being a late pursuer of medicine i'd love to hear your story.
Thank you so much for your time, sincerely
- Anne.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, most people are neurosurgeons by now..
The average age to enter med school right now is 24..

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, most people are neurosurgeons by now..
The average age to enter med school right now is 24..
Im not entirely in the know as to how school works in regards to medicine. Aside from what those close to me have gone into medicine have done. Which is a Bachelors in Medicine, followed by med school and then obviously residency and fellowship is warranted. My other question would be I would have to go back for my Bachelors would I not before applying to medical school? Especially since its been so long since I've taken any science classes. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
24...you serious? Heck no! Furthermore, it is never too late to pursue something you love. The average age is 24 or 25 and I know of people in their 40s in medical school. So go for it if you really want it.

A friend of mine just started medical school and she is 30. I know of others (vaguely) that started in their 40's. In the famous words of Rob Schneider "You can do it!!!"

Reactions: 1 users
Im not entirely in the know as to how school works in regards to medicine. Aside from what those close to me have gone into medicine have done. Which is a Bachelors in Medicine, followed by med school and then obviously residency and fellowship is warranted. My other question would be I would have to go back for my Bachelors would I not before applying to medical school? Especially since its been so long since I've taken any science classes. Thanks!

Assuming you're in the U.S., you need to complete the pre-requisite classes and take your MCAT. You don't have to get a bachelor's in any particular field, just have the pre-req classes under your belt, preferably within the past 5 years. Outside of that everything else is icing on the cake, which you often need to get into med school, but your background with social work would be a very positive part of your an application.

Reactions: 3 users
you'll need to take, biology 1 and 2, general chemistry 1 and 2, organic chemistry 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2, and two semesters of english (which you probably already have). some schools also now require 1 semester of biochemistry which I recommend you do anyway, because it will help in preparation for the MCAT. you can knock these out in less than 2 years, and then you can take the MCAT and apply at ~25, which is where I am at! not too old if this is what you truly want to do. to put you more at ease, i worked as a medical scribe for a chief of internal medicine and he switched careers in his 40's. he is now, obviously, a very successful doctor. there are plenty of non traditional students out there so don't worry about age.

what you need to worry about now is doing well in your pre req courses and on the MCAT. if you don't mind me asking, what was your undergrad GPA? you have options in terms of the healthcare field

-you can go for MD but you really need to have a high GPA and MCAT to have a good chance. (say at least 3.6-3.7 and at least a 508-509 unless you are an under represented minority)
-DO is basically the same as MD and if you aren't gunning for a highly competitive specialty, then going for DO might be the less stressful path for you at this stage in the game (i don't know what GPA's are good for DO, but im guessing 3.5, and at least a 500 MCAT, but 505 + will make you more competitive)
-then you can also go with physician assistant which only has 2 years of school and they make good money. this is a good option if you don't want to be working towards this goal for almost 10 more years

you'll need to take, biology 1 and 2, general chemistry 1 and 2, organic chemistry 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2, and two semesters of english (which you probably already have). some schools also now require 1 semester of biochemistry which I recommend you do anyway, because it will help in preparation for the MCAT. you can knock these out in less than 2 years, and then you can take the MCAT and apply at ~25, which is where I am at! not too old if this is what you truly want to do. to put you more at ease, i worked as a medical scribe for a chief of internal medicine and he switched careers in his 40's. he is now, obviously, a very successful doctor. there are plenty of non traditional students out there so don't worry about age.

what you need to worry about now is doing well in your pre req courses and on the MCAT. if you don't mind me asking, what was your undergrad GPA? you have options in terms of the healthcare field

-you can go for MD but you really need to have a high GPA and MCAT to have a good chance. (say at least 3.6-3.7 and at least a 508-509 unless you are an under represented minority)
-DO is basically the same as MD and if you aren't gunning for a highly competitive specialty, then going for DO might be the less stressful path for you at this stage in the game (i don't know what GPA's are good for DO, but im guessing 3.5, and at least a 500 MCAT, but 505 + will make you more competitive)
-then you can also go with physician assistant which only has 2 years of school and they make good money. this is a good option if you don't want to be working towards this goal for almost 10 more years

No problem with questions at all! My GPA was about a 3.4 when I finished my BSW. Would have been higher had I not had such a hard time one semester when a close family member passed away, a few C's made it drop down quite exponentially. My current Masters level GPA is probably going to be a 4.0 or 3.9. It's an advanced 1 year program that I got into based on my BA information.

I'm 53. Just took the MCAT. So.... I should sticky this.

Friend is MS3 at 58, another friend finished up PGY 3 at 60, someone I know is 53 and starting and I know of a dozen who are in their 40s.

Welcome!

I'm 53. Just took the MCAT. So.... I should sticky this.

Friend is MS3 at 58, another friend finished up PGY 3 at 60, someone I know is 53 and starting and I know of a dozen who are in their 40s.

Welcome!

What did you do before you wanted to go to med school?

Members don't see this ad :)

Another question I have is if I got a 3.4 at my BA level, and a 3.9 say at my Masters level and then I go back and do pre reqs and get a 3.8 say what would med schools look at? Do you think that BA GPA would outweight the master's gpa and gpa from the pre-reqs?

I don't get your last question, but a bachelors in medicine does not exist in America.
We have Allopathic(M.D), and D.O(Osteopathic medicine)
They are basically the same thing minus the fact that a D.O also learns OMM.

Completely normal to be in your mid 20s by the time you get to med school in America.

I am probably going to take 2 gap years before I even think of applying

And I will be 22 then..
No big deal

I don't get your last question, but a bachelors in medicine does not exist in America.
We have Allopathic(M.D), and D.O(Osteopathic medicine)
They are basically the same thing minus the fact that a D.O also learns OMM.

Completely normal to be in your mid 20s by the time you get to med school in America.

I am probably going to take 2 gap years before I even think of applying

And I will be 22 then..
No big deal
Sorry ignore the question I was confusing a whole bunch of things, so it made no sense. Thanks for the input!

I went back to college at 33, had to go through all 4 years of undergrad and I'm currently in my first year of PhD of an MD/PhD program.
There are many others who have followed similar paths...24 is by no means to old.

I went back to college at 33, had to go through all 4 years of undergrad and I'm currently in my first year of PhD of an MD/PhD program.
There are many others who have followed similar paths...24 is by no means to old.
I have another question if you or others are willing to answer.
Should i go back and redo all the pre reqs that med schools require, even if I have a few already completed. I ask because i dont remember anything science related in the slightest. I have and did well in the classes that I do already have when I took them but I don't remember anything and I dont want to eventually get to med school if most of them are going to expect me to already have said knowledge. Thanks and also congrats on all you've accomplished!

I have another question if you or others are willing to answer.
Should i go back and redo all the pre reqs that med schools require, even if I have a few already completed. I ask because i dont remember anything science related in the slightest. I have and did well in the classes that I do already have when I took them but I don't remember anything and I dont want to eventually get to med school if most of them are going to expect me to already have said knowledge. Thanks and also congrats on all you've accomplished!

You'll need to know the science for the MCAT at the very least. But it's not necessary to repeat your prereqs unless they are really old (around ten years) by the time you'd apply. In fact retaking a decent or good score on prereqs might call into question your judgement.
My advice would be to use various resources to self study the material you don't remember. It should come back to you fairly easily once you are seriously looking at the material again.

I didn't take my first college course until I was 25. No you are not too old. How is your cGPA not counting the graduate courses?

Hi there, apologies if I am not using this forum right. I literally just became a member so I'm new to everything.
So long story short. I went to school and got my BA in Social Work. I am about to finish with my masters in it as well, and the goal was to graduate and get my LCSW so I could open my own therapeutic practice. However my current internship, which is working at a hospital (on the more case management side) has taken me by surprise in the sense that I've fallen in love with medicine.
I love doing rounds, I enjoy learning from the doctors more than the people who are more in my department and I can't stop thinking about going back to school for medicine. So long story short Ive fallen in love.
I thought about doing medicine on many occasions before but I was never amazing at science and math (got A's but fought HARD to do it) so I never pursued it because I didn't have faith in myself. Now I do. I am 24 in a few months and really heavily contemplating going back to college for this once I finish getting my MSW. Is it an impossible task? Any advice and brutal honesty would be heavily appreciated! Also if anyone has experience being a late pursuer of medicine i'd love to hear your story.
- Anne.

I was 25 when I started med school. My class had an age range of 20-37. Two notable people in my class...
- 35yo who gave up a career as a yacht captain to come back to med school
- 32yo who English was not her first language, had her first child during our first semester of med school (even after increasing the difficulty to Heisman level, she has stayed on track and didn't take a leave of absence)

So, no....24 is not too old to start med school.

What did you do before you wanted to go to med school?
Tried to overcome the fact that I wanted to be a doctor :) My first classes in college were all premedish. Eventually, ended up in business world (Big 4, VP internal audit SEC registrant).

What everyone else has said, you are never to old, as long as you can put in the work

I'll be entering med school when I'm 30... you're fine.

Oh hey! I'll also be entering medical school at age 30, and I'm a woman with no children, hoping to have children DURING medical school. As crazy as people make it to sound, we will get through it. Also, I'm really proud to be a non-trad, really proud to have a career prior to this medical school journey. I think it helped my application TONS.

Your age isn't as nearly as important as your non-career commitments. A 30 year old with a wife and kids will find it much harder to go into medicine than a 40 year old who is single (not implying that there's anything wrong with that)

Im always super curious when I see non traditional people posting. What was your career so far? I guess my main concern is that I have no science background or knowledge at the moment

Im always super curious when I see non traditional people posting. What was your career so far? I guess my main concern is that I have no science background or knowledge at the moment

I worked as a public health advisor for over 3 years after obtaining my MPH. That led my interest in medicine, more so, in diabetes and other chronic diseases. Just started school this Aug, and I'm 31.

24 is young!

I have no science background or knowledge at the moment
Then I would take one class - gen chem or biology 1 - and see how it goes. If you get an A then take another class. What I would NOT do given you don't have a science background, is take gen chem + bio + something else in same semester.

And if you decide to start with gen chem, I would make sure you do a math placement test if possible as well. Gen chem (both 1 and 2) are math; basic algebra but still, if the manipulation of variables doesn't come easy, you might want to take a math refresher first. To me, gen chem is like accounting for the science folks.

I worked as a public health advisor for over 3 years after obtaining my MPH. That led my interest in medicine, more so, in diabetes and other chronic diseases. Just started school this Aug, and I'm 31.

24 is young!
Haha seeing all those 20 year olds posting makes me feel old! Are you doing your pre reqs at the moment or did you already have them and you mean you just started medical school! Thanks so much for all the help btw!

Then I would take one class - gen chem or biology 1 - and see how it goes. If you get an A then take another class. What I would NOT do given you don't have a science background, is take gen chem + bio + something else in same semester.

And if you decide to start with gen chem, I would make sure you do a math placement test if possible as well. Gen chem (both 1 and 2) are math; basic algebra but still, if the manipulation of variables doesn't come easy, you might want to take a math refresher first. To me, gen chem is like accounting for the science folks.
I was pretty good at math, always took advanced classes but you are absolutely right! I think I'm going to just take one class and see how it goes, and from there make my decision! But does that harm how medical schools will view me?

does that harm how medical schools will view me?
I cannot speak for sure as I am not an adcom but will say that the only thing I know that truly hurts is bad grades :)

I took one class at a time (while working full time and as a single mom to a teenage son :oops:); there were a couple of semesters where I took 2 classes and worked full time but I did not start out that way. Just focus on doing the best you can, setting yourself up for the best experience and let the chips fall where they may. If you do well in the science courses, the MCAT content review is just that much easier.

I am also curious about something else. The very few people I have told my thoughts to recently think I'm insane, mostly because Im about to get my MSW and going into debt for medical school after having avoided debt throughout all my college experiences, sounds insane to them. However when they ask me about WHY it is I want to do medicine I typically tell them that my exposure to the field has caught my interest. Ive always been interested in the mind in regards to human betterment and care but I've for some reason never thought about the biological processes until it was put in front of my face and now I just want to know and learn more. I'm fascinated by medicine and the body and I want to know all that I can. I also personally have realized how much I've loved interacting with and caring for patients but I've realized that where I thought I'd get more exposure to that with following a therapeutic route it is actually the doctors that spend the most time caring and getting to know that patients and THATS WHAT I WANT to do. So ultimately medicine has recently interested me because Ive realized it carries a large centering on patient care (more than my current field) and its this whole other side of the coin so to speak (from the mental side of things) that I just have this desperate urge to know about. HOWEVER some people don't think this is enough. Theyll say WELL YOUVE NEVER BEEN INTERESTED in the sciences before (social sciences don't count to them). They also state I have no science background and that's not possible for me if i want to go after this. So my question to you is, is the urge to learn about the body and treat people/work with patients not reason enough to pursue this?

Last edited:
Haha seeing all those 20 year olds posting makes me feel old! Are you doing your pre reqs at the moment or did you already have them and you mean you just started medical school! Thanks so much for all the help btw!

I majored in Bio so had most of the pre-med prerequisites completed including biochem/microbio/etc. While studying for the MCAT this summer, I took about 15 credits of courses as a post-bacc as a refresher. I agree with Ad2b regarding taking one class and seeing how it goes. Doing well in these courses and finding a right balance is key for now and will determine how you will do on the MCATs. Try taking it in a 4-year school vs. a community college.

And yes, interests in diseases, mechanisms, and patient-care, are enough reasons to pursue this field. Don't do it for the money but the reasons are valid.

You’re definitely fine. My uncle who’s currently in his intern year got into every school he applied to (I think 7) and he was 35-36 at the time. I think non-trads are vital to medical school/medicine as a whole

- Anne.
Of course you can and should do it; if this decision truly represents your passion and interests, how could you not do it? I have read many posts on this forum from people who have been somewhat in your circumstances, so you are far from being alone in this desire. Obviously it won't be easy, but you knew that already. The only caveat might be if you begin the process and objective results are underwhelming, for in that case you will be receiving feedback that might suggest a re-appraisal of your goals (but judging from your writing I think this outcome to be unlikely).