This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoobieScribe

Reaction score
Hey everyone, before anything, @Goro has an extensive guide to medical school interviews and one for DOs as well that you should all check out if you haven’t.

I was blessed to receive 9 interview invites from DO schools...I attended 7 of them with 6 acceptances and 1 waitlist even though my stats were average to below-average and I’m an ORM. I want to do an AMA to help you guys using my own personal experiences with the application cycle, my premed journey and how I approached my interviews. Though this is mainly for interview help, please ask me anything from Undergraduate premed topics, to my stats, my app, etc. You can PM me if you’re more comfortable doing that!

*As a note, I will not disclose which schools asked me a specific question (I don’t want to get in trouble) and if I end up repeating answers that @Goro has already mentioned in their guide then I do apologize ahead of time for that. Understand my advice is coming from my own experiences and my own approach which is a small sample and others definitely have had different experiences but I do believe at least one person can benefit from this, and is why I‘m starting this thread. There have been many AMAs and posts before this that helped me immensely and this is my way of giving back to this community. Some of the advice I have can be pertinent to any medical school interview DO or MD.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, before anything, @Goro has an extensive guide to medical school interviews and one for DOs as well that you should all check out if you haven’t.

I was blessed to receive 9 interview invites from DO schools...I attended 7 of them with 6 acceptances and 1 waitlist even though my stats were average to below-average and I’m an ORM. I want to do an AMA to help you guys using my own personal experiences with the application cycle, my premed journey and how I approached my interviews. Though this is mainly for interview help, please ask me anything from Undergraduate premed topics, to my stats, my app, etc. You can PM me if you’re more comfortable doing that!

*As a note, I will not disclose which schools asked me a specific question (I don’t want to get in trouble) and if I end up repeating answers that @Goro has already mentioned in their guide then I do apologize ahead of time for that. Understand my advice is coming from my own experiences and my own approach which is a small sample and others definitely have had different experiences but I do believe at least one person can benefit from this, and is why I‘m starting this thread. There have been many AMAs and posts before this that helped me immensely and this is my way of giving back to this community. Some of the advice I have can be pertinent to any medical school interview DO or MD.
What is something that all the school look for in interviews generally? Do you think MMI is better or worse than traditional panel interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA/mcat?

what school did you choose and why?

cGPA: 3.68
sGPA: 3.67
MCAT 502 w/ 122 CARS

I chose TUNCOM over KCU, KCOM and AT-SOMA, LECOM and ARCOM. Extremely tough decision but ultimately it was for proximity to home. I think TUNCOM will be a fine school for what I’m going for, many match to Nevada and Inland empire (Southern California) sites which are areas underserved but is still close to my family. I feel every school has its cons so ultimately being near my family was what tilted me towards TUN. I know TUN will treat me well. Again, tough decisions.

Reactions: 1 users
What is something that all the school look for in interviews generally? Do you think MMI is better or worse than traditional panel interview?

I think they really look for those who come off as honest, approachable and humble but are bright and in general know what they’re getting themselves into.

I feel MMI is too short, you really have to make your answers concise but still effective. Definitely felt rushed compared to a traditional panel interview (majority of my interviews were panel or individual) where you get to have longer conversations with the interviewer. I preferred traditional. Had 1 very high-stressed panel interview at one school, thought I failed it but it worked out in the end. Besides that one, panel interviews were very relaxed and I had a great time with my interviewers in them.

Wow. with those stats. You give me hope :happy::happy: cause I have very similar stats. What are your EC to make you stand out and any tips on interviewing?

I think they really look for those who come off as honest, approachable and humble but are bright and in general know what they’re getting themselves into.

I feel MMI is too short, you really have to make your answers concise but still effective. Definitely felt rushed compared to a traditional panel interview (majority of my interviews were panel or individual) where you get to have longer conversations with the interviewer. I preferred traditional. Had 1 very high-stressed panel interview at one school, thought I failed it but it worked out in the end. Besides that one, panel interviews were very relaxed and I had a great time with my interviewers in them.
Why do you consider that panel interview as high stress?

Wow. with those stats. You give me hope :happy::happy: cause I have very similar stats. What are your EC to make you stand out and any tips on interviewing?

I was actually going to ditch applying this cycle after receiving my MCAT score in June ‘19 and planned to retake it to apply in 2020. Friend of mine told me to apply broadly to DO schools and low and behold it somehow turned out fine. Never in my dreams would I have expected to get this many interviews. Schools did R me advising me to retake the MCAT.

I don’t necessarily have any ECs that helped me stand out, but I did keep myself busy doing a little of everything. I feel most of my ECs are the mainstream stuff every premed knows about. My ECs included:
1) Paid Summer research (2 months)
2) Undergraduate researcher (2 years)
3) Undergraduate teaching/lab assistant (2 years)
4) Hospital volunteer (200 hrs)
5) Tutor w/ 3rd party company (1 year)
6) ER Medical Scribe (2 years; been a Lead Scribe for 4 months)

Some very small details I can give for the interviews was I folded my hands in my lap, sat upright and held eye contact. I nodded every once in a while. Shook everyones hand at the beginning. Shook everyones hand at the end thanking them for having me here bc it’s a privilege. If there was a door to my interview I knocked before entering, and closed it behind me gently. I gave solid concise answers but never made myself come off as overconfident or cocky (not a fan of people like that). Many told me to rehearse in front of a mirror, great advice but I never did. In preparation, I would just brainstorm different questions in my head and what my answer would generally be. Didn’t practice over and over bc I know I’d sound like a robot at the real deal if I did that. I brainstormed mainly so I won’t get stuck, but I’d just come up with my responses as the interview went on. Like having a regular good conversation with a stranger. If I didn’t know something I’d tell them straight up I didn’t know and that it’s something I need to read up on and get back to you on. They say “say what they want to hear” but above all every response I gave came from the heart so it wasn’t that hard and I didn’t need to fluff anything.

My scribing experience in the ED has helped me immensely with comfortably talking to my superiors, my teammates. Before that, I was always really shy and nervous talking to professors, doctors etc

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Why do you consider that panel interview as high stress?

Tough questions were asked, interviewers constantly interrupting me with more tough questions. Raised voices, and I was grilled for every answer I gave.

I was actually going to ditch applying this cycle after receiving my MCAT score in June ‘19 and planned to retake it to apply in 2020. Friend of mine told me to apply broadly to DO schools and low and behold it somehow turned out fine. Never in my dreams would I have expected to get this many interviews. Schools did R me advising me to retake the MCAT.

I don’t necessarily have any ECs that helped me stand out, but I did keep myself busy doing a little of everything. I feel most of my ECs are the mainstream stuff every premed knows about. My ECs included:
1) Paid Summer research (2 months)
2) Undergraduate researcher (2 years)
3) Undergraduate teaching/lab assistant (2 years)
4) Hospital volunteer (200 hrs)
5) Tutor w/ 3rd party company (1 year)
6) ER Medical Scribe (2 years; been a Lead Scribe for 4 months)

Some very small details I can give for the interviews was I folded my hands in my lap, sat upright and held eye contact. I nodded every once in a while. Shook everyones hand at the beginning. Shook everyones hand at the end thanking them for having me here bc it’s a privilege. If there was a door to my interview I knocked before entering, and closed it behind me gently. I gave solid concise answers but never made myself come off as overconfident or cocky (not a fan of people like that). Many told me to rehearse in front of a mirror, great advice but I never did. In preparation, I would just brainstorm different questions in my head and what my answer would generally be. Didn’t practice over and over bc I know I’d sound like a robot at the real deal if I did that. I brainstormed mainly so I won’t get stuck, but I’d just come up with my responses as the interview went on. Like having a regular good conversation with a stranger. If I didn’t know something I’d tell them straight up I didn’t know and that it’s something I need to read up on and get back to you on. They say “say what they want to hear” but above all every response I gave came from the heart so it wasn’t that hard and I didn’t need to fluff anything.

My scribing experience in the ED has helped me immensely with comfortably talking to my superiors, my teammates. Before that, I was always really shy and nervous talking to professors, doctors etc

Yeah. I would definitely apply broadly as there are only 2 DO schools in my state (Florida) :DD. Retaking the MCAT within a week cause my old one expired. Leadership and other EC I have. Research is the only thing I'm lacking so I better start looking for some before the next cycle. Thanks again for the insights on interviews cause I'm a nervous wreck when it comes to that. Most definitely appreciated ~Max

Reactions: 1 user