AMCAS : All Questions Here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Scubadoc said:
Still having trouble with my study abroad stuff. Can ANYONE help!!?? :confused:

Here's the deal: I studied abroad my junior year. It was sponsored by my college here in the states but I received no grades, just the credit.

I can't figure out how to put in the university name that I went to in France. I wrote to AMCAS asking if I should write it as "Foreign college not coded-Study abroad through [my college]". They wrote back with the standard "Include the foreign institution and the sponsoring US or Canadian
institution in all lists of colleges attended" which tells me nada.

So anyone else know how to enter this in? I mean do you type in the *name* of the university abroad and put the courses there on AMCAS or what?

ARGH!!!!!

Thanks soooo much for your help, if you all know!!!! :love:

This might be slightly different for you, I tried to figure all this out for the school I went to that was NOT affiliated with a US institution, and I know there are differences. But basically, yes, enter in the NAME of the university abroad. When you first enter the name in it will ask you the questions about it's affiliation etc. accurately put that stuff (which was the hard part, at least for me). It will ask you what US school the courses transferred into.
Then later add in the courses you took there under the foreign school's entry and I think AMCAS then links those courses into the record of the US school you designated, so you don't enter those credits in twice.

Okay, that was super confusing so I hope it helps...

Members don't see this ad.

CaMD said:
Okay, that was super confusing so I hope it helps...

Nah, that was great...I followed your advice and put it in. Hope it is the right way! It doesn't look like there is really any other way that is appropriate; so, fingers crossed!

DieselPetrolGrl said:
Anyone know why it won?t let me pick a spring 2004..... even though it lets me list Fall 2004?

So far this is how I have picking them ..my school ( Univ of Miami) runs on Fall/Spring + summer system for grades.

2001 41 4-1-4/4-4-1 Calendar 1st Semester (Fall)
2002 41 4-1-4/4-4-1 Calendar 1st Semester (Fall)
2002 42 4-1-4/4-4-1 Calendar 2nd Semester (Spring)
2003 4S 4-1-4/4-4-1 Calendar Summer Session (Summer)
2003 41 4-1-4/4-4-1 Calendar 1st Semester (Fall)
2003 42 4-1-4/4-4-1 Calendar 2nd Semester (Spring)
*********I WANT TO DO THIS 2004?SPRING ?the semester I just finished????..weird?.
If someone has the same semester way as my school ..what are u doing? *********
2004 41 4-1-4/4-4-1 Calendar 1st Semester (Fall)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Read the help file. AMCAS continues school years. I.E. spring 2002, is really listed as spring 2001, it automatically changes those.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scubadoc,
I just read your post about the trouble with abroad credit. I'm new to the site, so I'm not sure if someone answered this question long ago. But anyway, I studied abroad Fall 2003 at the Univ. of Edinburgh in Scotland. On my college transcript, the credits appear as "Transfer courses from University of Edinburgh" followed by the course titles and credits earned...no grades. I finally called AMCAS, because I was so confused about how to enter things. You have to enter study abroad stuff as another college and then enter your courses just as you would for your home institution. You enter foreign college not coded in both schools attended and course work sections of AMCAS, and under schools attended click off study abroad at affiliated institution Then for the course work section just enter the dates you attended and enter the courses you took there. The woman from AMCAS said to enter the courses as they appear in the foreign college's catalog, not as they appear on your home college transcript if they happen to be different. She also said that I could put the grades I earned, but they would not be included in the AMCAS gpa since my home school did not put grades on the transcript...so annoying. In this case, AMCAS will just simply assign semester hours for the credits you received but no grades. Does this help at all? :)

drbean said:
Does this help at all? :)

yes, loads, thanks! Out of curiosity, my transcript has no grades, we simply either received credit or did not. I received credit and it shows as 24 hours credit earned. Would you put that then as pass/fail?

hmmmm that is a tough one. i'm not really sure. my transcript has both grades and credits, but for the abroad courses, they count as transfer, so no grades show. so confusing, but i'm sure someone out there has the same situation. good luck!! :)

Scubadoc said:
yes, loads, thanks! Out of curiosity, my transcript has no grades, we simply either received credit or did not. I received credit and it shows as 24 hours credit earned. Would you put that then as pass/fail?

Again, I'm not answering this as someone who knows for sure what to do, just as someone who's pondered this long and hard and stared blankly at the AMCAS instructions and come up with my best guess - I put the courses as pass/fail.

JTrojan said:
Has anyone else had this problem: I go to the designate schools page, choose which state I want, then click submit filter, and I'm told "no schools found. try again." This happens with every state I try. I wanted to try not choosing a state and just choosing a deadline date, but that drop-down menu does not have any options...I've emailed AMCAS, but still haven't heard back. Does anyone know what to do??

(just in case this looks familiar, I also posted this question in the other AMCAS help thread)

OK, so I figured it out...I guess it helps to use the 2005 Form instead of the 2004 form! Had a lot of fun reentering everything though :(

Questions...

1. I have been involved in campus student organizations. They don't really have a 'contact' since they are student-run organizations. Is it okay to leave the field blank?

2. Have you contacted all your post-secondary 'contacts' prior to submitting your AMCAS asking if medical schools might call them regarding your involvement?

3. Do you know of any cases where the medical school has contacted one of your 'contacts' on the AMCAS? If so, what kind of things would they want to know? I can't put everything in the space allotted, so I would like to inform my 'contacts' if the need arise.

Jason110 said:
Questions...

1. I have been involved in campus student organizations. They don't really have a 'contact' since they are student-run organizations. Is it okay to leave the field blank?

2. Have you contacted all your post-secondary 'contacts' prior to submitting your AMCAS asking if medical schools might call them regarding your involvement?

3. Do you know of any cases where the medical school has contacted one of your 'contacts' on the AMCAS? If so, what kind of things would they want to know? I can't put everything in the space allotted, so I would like to inform my 'contacts' if the need arise.

1. I put in the advisor for that organization.
2. Nope not at all!
3. None but all the same, I am not fudging on anything I am writing. You never know if the one EC you might elaborate on will be the one they check up on!

During the summer between my sophomore and junior years at my 4 year university I completed a single class at a tech school for my own good, not towards my major or the premed track or anything. There were no transfers of credit between schools, I just have a little transcript from a tech school with 4 credits on it. Any ideas what I should put for academic status for coursework at this school? As far as credits are concerned at the tech school, I would be a freshman, so I'm inclined to put that. But in relation to my other academic work, I would have been a junior.

Help is much appreciated. This thread rocks my socks.
--marc

Agent Splat said:
During the summer between my sophomore and junior years at my 4 year university I completed a single class at a tech school for my own good, not towards my major or the premed track or anything. There were no transfers of credit between schools, I just have a little transcript from a tech school with 4 credits on it. Any ideas what I should put for academic status for coursework at this school? As far as credits are concerned at the tech school, I would be a freshman, so I'm inclined to put that. But in relation to my other academic work, I would have been a junior.

Help is much appreciated. This thread rocks my socks.
--marc

In the words of one current governor of California: "JUNIOR!!!!!!"

AMCAS says you must place summer courses in the upcoming academic status. Make sure you have the transcript sent to AMCAS, even from the tech school.

Jason

What is the latest to submit the AMCAS app and still be considered early? I was planning on submitting my AMCAS in late June. By the way, I took the April MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if this was answered in this thread already, but I don't feel like going through all 29 pages.

I got 24 credits (6 courses) through AP's in high school. My transcript doesn't specifically state which AP's I took and what elective credits I have. What should I do about these credits on my AMCAS? If I have to put them down, which semester should I put them down as?

blz said:
What is the latest to submit the AMCAS app and still be considered early? I was planning on submitting my AMCAS in late June. By the way, I took the April MCAT.

Considered for Early Decision? I think it varies by school, so check with school where you want to apply Early Decision.

If you want to be able to say "I got it in early," it's entirely subjective and you could probably get as many opinions as there are people reading this thread. Just put together a good application and submit it when it's done. Yes, sooner is better than later, but a good application submitted in August beats a crappy one in June.

In a sort of Carlinesque way, there's no such thing as an "early" submission (because you couldn't submit until AMCAS opened up for submissions) Likewise, there's no such thing as "pre-boarding" an airplane.

New question about EC's.
I'm a summer camp counselor for one week in August every year. It's "sleep away" for the kids so I'm basically working 24-7 for that week. How do I handle that in the average hours per week section?

Thanks guys - this thread rocks. :love:

I'm havng trouble classifying some of my courses. I've got my degree in pharmacy, so I would count most of my classes as science. :) The medicinal chemistry classes I took were easy, but there's a lot I'm not sure what to call.

Pharmacokinetics, IV drugs, over the counter medications, therapeutics, pharmaceutics, diagnostic imaging, pharmacy practie classes are the ones I am having trouble with. I don't want to put them all under health sciences, because this may take away from my BCPM GPA. But they don't naturally fall into biology or chemistry. Are there any general descriptions as to what they consider biology & chemistry??

Thanks for your help!

nani said:
New question about EC's.
I'm a summer camp counselor for one week in August every year. It's "sleep away" for the kids so I'm basically working 24-7 for that week. How do I handle that in the average hours per week section?

Thanks guys - this thread rocks. :love:

i have the same question, and what i think i'm gonna do is just put the total hours i was at this diabetes camp last summer. for me, 140 hours per week. i figured sleeping there should count since i was basically on call every night (and often awakened several times) for hypoglycemia and other problems.

on another note, and my bad if this has already been asked, but do people usually write in prose or in bullet points in the post secondary experiences section?

I just entered all of my courses in the AMCAS system, does this thing compute and display your bcpm/overall GPA? If so, what section does it appear in?

Hey guys,

I was a mentor for a camp for two consecutive summers, but I'm not sure how to code the dates on my AMCAS application (I don't want to take up two slots for the same experience):

1. June 2002 - August 2003 - Say in the description that it was only for the summers

OR

2. June 2003- August 2003 - Say in the description that I also did it the previous summer.

Thanks guys - gl with the app process!

chiripero said:
I just entered all of my courses in the AMCAS system, does this thing compute and display your bcpm/overall GPA? If so, what section does it appear in?

Only once it's verified.

does anyone know if its a human or computer that verifies the transcript info? does a human actually go thru each transcript grade, subject, semester, etc

IcedCube said:
does anyone know if its a human or computer that verifies the transcript info? does a human actually go thru each transcript grade, subject, semester, etc

HUMAN

Q: If I put down a school in the schools list, will they be waiting for a transcript from that school before my ap is verified? In other words, I'm taking a summer class at a JC right now and I'm doing special master's in the fall. Should I include these in my schools listed or just leave them out? Help!

If you have done research, working on a paper to submit for publication, and went to one or more symposiums to present it, do you put this as 3 experiences or do you keep this as 1 and then explain what you did underneat?

For Honor Societies are people using more than 1 experience? I really cant afford to use more than 1 or 2 experiences for the Honor Societies. I was just thinking about putting AED, ODK, NSCS, etc. all in one space and then give a description of the admissions requirement for each honor society?
If you plan on continuing an activity such as IM sports or hosting a radio show during your senior year, would you just say the end date would be May 2005 (my graduation date) or would you say May 2004 (end of Jr year) and say that I plan on continuing it during sr year.

Thanks

MD Rapper said:
Q: If I put down a school in the schools list, will they be waiting for a transcript from that school before my ap is verified? In other words, I'm taking a summer class at a JC right now and I'm doing special master's in the fall. Should I include these in my schools listed or just leave them out? Help!

i would call in to amcas to ask. cause you could put down courses that you are planning to complete. and you may be okay doing this. but do call.

you could also just put down the masters prog as an activity.

DemonDeacon said:
If you have done research, working on a paper to submit for publication, and went to one or more symposiums to present it, do you put this as 3 experiences or do you keep this as 1 and then explain what you did underneat?

either way. if more than 1, ide just stay with 2...one for the publication and one for the 2 symposiums (poster pres or oral). perhaps you can put slightly diff titles.

pbehzad said:
For Honor Societies are people using more than 1 experience? I really cant afford to use more than 1 or 2 experiences for the Honor Societies. I was just thinking about putting AED, ODK, NSCS, etc. all in one space and then give a description of the admissions requirement for each honor society?
If you plan on continuing an activity such as IM sports or hosting a radio show during your senior year, would you just say the end date would be May 2005 (my graduation date) or would you say May 2004 (end of Jr year) and say that I plan on continuing it during sr year.

Thanks

1. i myself put all the hon soc under one activity. i dont think they are important/active enough to even get more than one spot. if your AED chapter was active (ie, you were not just a member like in the other orgs) then maybe you can put aed separate.
2. it is okay to put expected/projected end dates....2005

stanford05 said:
Hey guys,

I was a mentor for a camp for two consecutive summers, but I'm not sure how to code the dates on my AMCAS application (I don't want to take up two slots for the same experience):

1. June 2002 - August 2003 - Say in the description that it was only for the summers

OR

2. June 2003- August 2003 - Say in the description that I also did it the previous summer.

Thanks guys - gl with the app process!

Hmmm... I think I'd take option one. Option 2 might confuse them a bit.

Here's an AMCAS question...according to my community college transcripts, I completed 94 units at a community college, and entered my six semesters there as FR, SO, and JR. However, when you transfer to a four year institution, only 70 units are "officially" accepted onto the 4-year transcript, which would maintain my JR status the first year there (during which I took 14 and 16 units). However, the AMCAS instruction book says:

"Courses for a Bachelor's degree earned in more than four years should be assigned statuses of Freshman (FR), Sophomore (SO), Junior (JR), Senior (SR), Senior (SR), etc."

Currently, I'm leaning toward putting SR for both years at the 4-year university...
What have other transfer students out there put?

juber22 said:
Here's an AMCAS question...according to my community college transcripts, I completed 94 units at a community college, and entered my six semesters there as FR, SO, and JR. However, when you transfer to a four year institution, only 70 units are "officially" accepted onto the 4-year transcript, which would maintain my JR status the first year there (during which I took 14 and 16 units). However, the AMCAS instruction book says:

"Courses for a Bachelor's degree earned in more than four years should be assigned statuses of Freshman (FR), Sophomore (SO), Junior (JR), Senior (SR), Senior (SR), etc."

Currently, I'm leaning toward putting SR for both years at the 4-year university...
What have other transfer students out there put?

Don't go by what the schools tell you. Go by the addition of credits. So once you have completed the range of credits to become a junior, you put junior thereafter. It was weird, but i'm in your same boat.

1. I typed my ps in word, copied and pasted to note pad and then to AMCAS, but the format is not working. I lose the indention and all the format. Please help.
2. Some courses on my transcript are pass/fail but the grade is Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory and the letter grade is S, should i enter S or p.
Pass/fail
Thanks

DrOwen said:
1. I typed my ps in word, copied and pasted to note pad and then to AMCAS, but the format is not working. I lose the indention and all the format. Please help.

Yes, please someone tell us how to do the indentation of paragraphs in AMCAS, because I can't get it to work either!!! The only thing I can do is put a space between paragraphs...

First off, thank you so much to the awesome people who take time to check this thread and answer our questions!!!

Secondly, this may be a duh question, but I've scoured and can't find an answer on the boards yet...

When entering course-is there anywhere you actually have to calculate your own amcas gpa? Or are the conversions given as more of a guideline so you aren't surprised later? I just finished entering all my coursework and don't see a place to calculate gpa....

Mucho Thanks!
:confused:

ms2209 said:
Yes, please someone tell us how to do the indentation of paragraphs in AMCAS, because I can't get it to work either!!! The only thing I can do is put a space between paragraphs...

That is really the only thing you can do. Don't worry about it; everyone does it.

Jason

I didn't have an indentation in my PS - didn't want to waste the character space. Just use a line between paragraphs and you'll be good....yes, I know that the OCD nature of premeds precludes that you simply "do-away" with the indentation that's been beaten into you by college but trust me, no one will care. :)

ms2209 said:

madrigail said:
First off, thank you so much to the awesome people who take time to check this thread and answer our questions!!!

Secondly, this may be a duh question, but I've scoured and can't find an answer on the boards yet...

When entering course-is there anywhere you actually have to calculate your own amcas gpa? Or are the conversions given as more of a guideline so you aren't surprised later? I just finished entering all my coursework and don't see a place to calculate gpa....

Mucho Thanks!
:confused:
AMCAS calculates your cumulative and BPCM GPA for you during the processing step. It will then show up in the appropriate area when you view the printable version of your application.

DrOwen said:
2. Some courses on my transcript are pass/fail but the grade is Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory and the letter grade is S, should i enter S or p.
Pass/fail
Thanks

I also have S on my transcript. I just entered the grade as S for pass because it says in the instructions for AMCAS to enter exactly as it is on the transcript.

Hope that helps

does my registrar need to submit 1 or 2 copies of my transcript to amcas?

IcedCube said:
does my registrar need to submit 1 or 2 copies of my transcript to amcas?

Each school you attended only needs to send one copy of your transcript to AMCAS

I really appreciate all the help and the people who find the time to answer the questions, thank you so much.
Another question: I put in my preferred and legal name. however, when i print the application, my preferred name only appears and not my legal name.
thanks again.
Is it a good idea to just put my name only.

Hey all. Here's one for you: Ok, so I'm taking a course at a community college over the summer and my four-year university has already pre-approved the transfer of the credit. As soon as I send my 4-year a transcript from the CC, I get the credits. Since I wont finish the class until after I've already sent out my AMCAS (class doesn't end until end of July), I just put the course as a summer session at my four year, though it wont be on my transcript until this Fall. I didn't think it would be necessary or wise to list the CC because I didn't want to wait until the end of July to send out my AMCAS. Am I going to get in trouble for doing that? Thanks!

Machaon said:
Hey all. Here's one for you: Ok, so I'm taking a course at a community college over the summer and my four-year university has already pre-approved the transfer of the credit. As soon as I send my 4-year a transcript from the CC, I get the credits. Since I wont finish the class until after I've already sent out my AMCAS (class doesn't end until end of July), I just put the course as a summer session at my four year, though it wont be on my transcript until this Fall. I didn't think it would be necessary or wise to list the CC because I didn't want to wait until the end of July to send out my AMCAS. Am I going to get in trouble for doing that? Thanks!

Yes you have to list the course at the CC, and yes you have to list the school. No, you don't have to wait until the end of July, because you just classify it as current/future with AMCAS. They are pretty explicit about this in the instructions.

I had originally designated my coursework at the CC and I know one is able to designate future/current courses, but I thought I would still run into the issue of the transcript from the CC. I guess I was wrong, thanks for the feedback.

Machaon said:
I had originally designated my coursework at the CC and I know one is able to designate future/current courses, but I thought I would still run into the issue of the transcript from the CC. I guess I was wrong, thanks for the feedback.

they explicitly say that you must send transcripts from every college attended, even if the credit shows up on another transcript. I would'nt mess around with it, or it may geet held up even longer bud.

Yeah, I guess I just didn't think much of "fudging" it until I read through so many threads that alluded to the pickiness of the AMCAS crew. I don't want to f with that stuff, so I'll just deal with the CC. Thanks again

DrOwen said:
Pass/fail
Thanks

I agree with Jessiemmc. I have Credit/No Credit courses, so I check the Pass/No Pass box and write CR (as it says on my transcript)...

BubbleWand1 said:
Has anyone tried posting their personal statement yet?

I tried this morning and it was 5280 characters but AMCAS actually cuts it off at like 5100 or whatever it is. Whatever happened to the 5300 character limit?!?! Every time I went to "Print Application" or just see the essay in AMCAS, the last few sentences were cut off. Anyone having the same problem?!

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! Mine cuts me off at 5216 when my actual statement is 5230! I can paste it all in and it fits, but when I try to save it, it always reverts back to the 5216 cut off! What should I do?? Thanks guys!