AMCAS : All Questions Here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
happygirl said:
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! Mine cuts me off at 5216 when my actual statement is 5230! I can paste it all in and it fits, but when I try to save it, it always reverts back to the 5216 cut off! What should I do?? Thanks guys!

Are you getting those character counts from word or is that the character count within the AMCAS app? I noticed last year that MS word's character count never matched tha AMCAS count.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you counting spaces as characters? AMCAS counts spaces as characters.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! Mine cuts me off at 5216 when my actual statement is 5230! I can paste it all in and it fits, but when I try to save it, it always reverts back to the 5216 cut off! What should I do?? Thanks guys!

hakksar said:
Are you counting spaces as characters? AMCAS counts spaces as characters.

In Word, I used the Word Count tool for total characters including spaces and it says I'm at 5218 which is still far from the 5300 limit. I thought that it might be AMCAS counting more for quoation marks, but I only have two pairs of quotations so that can't account for the 82 character difference.

Does anyone else have suggestions???
Thanks for your help guys! I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Another question....
I have a couple of AP courses and I was kind of confused by the AAMC explanation about how to treat these -- do you leave the grade blank or use "G" in this spot?

Ames980 said:
Another question....
I have a couple of AP courses and I was kind of confused by the AAMC explanation about how to treat these -- do you leave the grade blank or use "G" in this spot?

I have Ps on my transcript. So I put P Hope that's correct :scared:

docmemi said:
either way. if more than 1, ide just stay with 2...one for the publication and one for the 2 symposiums (poster pres or oral). perhaps you can put slightly diff titles.

I just put it as one as I am still working on publishing the research work.

I did two poster presentations

I designated my AP credits with the high school and AP tags, but I put them under my first semester of freshman year for coursework. That's basically how it shows up on my transcript (it doesn't really show up anywhere: it's in transcript limbo). I also left the grade spot blank. Was I wrong in any/all of this?

I already received my bachelors and I am taking some post bacc courses, however, one of them is a graduate level course. I am not working towards a masters. Should I categorize this course as post bacc undergrad of grad?
Gracias,
Chris

Premedtomed said:
I have Ps on my transcript. So I put P Hope that's correct :scared:

My transcript doesn't actually have a letter "grade" assigned to the AP course, and on pg 38 of the AMCAS thing it says "Supplimental hours...are only for courses with an AMCAS grade of: G(used for Advanced Placement credit)..."
so if my transcript doesnt give me a grade, should i throw that in??? aaaah!

I get this message when I run the audit and I don't know how to resolve it:

Form Error/Warning Section Description
92 WARNING Standardized Tests MCAT / Other Test information blank

You don't have to resolve it. It just means that you did not put any other test info in for tests other than the MCAT (ie GRE, LSAT, GMAT etc). It is not required to put any of these test in but it gives you a warning in case you want to. As long as you don't you can still submit.

I tried putting spaces and pressed enter to make new paragraphs on my PS online. However, when I do, print AMCAS application, everything comes up as one big paragraph.

Is that how is it supposed to be?

happygirl said:

I used a different computer to input my essay again and it worked. Then I went back to the old computer and opened up the application and the entire 5230 character personal statement was still saved. So, if you having the same problem, just try using a diff. computer.

Members don't see this ad :)
three of my ECs are:
1) Scholarships
2) Scientific Publications
3) Undergraduate thesis

Questions I have are:
1) what do i put for hours spend? 0? blank? 1?
2) is it ok to put no contact for my scholarships? I can't find the contact information anymore. I just put "various"

Ames980 said:
My transcript doesn't actually have a letter "grade" assigned to the AP course, and on pg 38 of the AMCAS thing it says "Supplimental hours...are only for courses with an AMCAS grade of: G(used for Advanced Placement credit)..."
so if my transcript doesnt give me a grade, should i throw that in??? aaaah!

For AP credits, I used "G" as the grade even though no grades were listed on my transcript (only units). That's okay with AMCAS (ie. they didn't make any corrections during verification).

yancantcook said:
Is that how is it supposed to be?

No, it should come out as paragraphs separated by one empty line if you press enter twice.

Alright so I'm in semi-panic mode now because I had three schools that I needed to send transcript requests too. The first were for summer courses I've taken and I basically just sent them the form and the called them a few days later to follow up. Each school said that the transcript had been sent out. The third one was my main college and I send them a letter with the form asking them to FedEx overnight my transcript when it was ready. I received an email from AMCAS saying that they got my main school's FedExed transcript but have heard nothing about the other two. I submitted AMCAS last night and it says on the welcome page (and the email they sent me) that they have still not received the other two transcripts. So I called each school's registrar and confirmed again and the transcript people said that it's probably at AMCAS but that they're getting so many they just haven't worked on it yet and updated my application.

Is it possible that the regular mail transcripts are in and that they handle FedEx ones quicker or should I have everything resent?

Thanks for any advice!

So apparently one of my transcripts never made it to AMCAS for some reason. Now I need to know the address to send another transcript to, because I didnt print extra copies of the transcript request form. Could someone give me the address to send transcripts to for AMCAS? thanks!

latinfridley said:
So apparently one of my transcripts never made it to AMCAS for some reason. Now I need to know the address to send another transcript to, because I didnt print extra copies of the transcript request form. Could someone give me the address to send transcripts to for AMCAS? thanks!
AMCAS, attn: Transcripts
AAMC Medical School Application Services
P.O. Box 57326
Washington, D.C 20037

mgink821 said:
Alright so I'm in semi-panic mode now because I had three schools that I needed to send transcript requests too. The first were for summer courses I've taken and I basically just sent them the form and the called them a few days later to follow up. Each school said that the transcript had been sent out. The third one was my main college and I send them a letter with the form asking them to FedEx overnight my transcript when it was ready. I received an email from AMCAS saying that they got my main school's FedExed transcript but have heard nothing about the other two. I submitted AMCAS last night and it says on the welcome page (and the email they sent me) that they have still not received the other two transcripts. So I called each school's registrar and confirmed again and the transcript people said that it's probably at AMCAS but that they're getting so many they just haven't worked on it yet and updated my application.

Is it possible that the regular mail transcripts are in and that they handle FedEx ones quicker or should I have everything resent?

Thanks for any advice!

Just chill and contact them after a few days. You are way ahead in the game. I haven't submitted my AMCAS yet.

I plan on retaking the MCAT in august. I'll indicate on the AMCAS that I won't so that there's no delay in processing my apps since my current MCAT grade is relatively good. My PS currently makes a passing mention that I plan to retake it. SHould I remove this part of the essay or will they not really take note of that?

Friday said:
I plan on retaking the MCAT in august. I'll indicate on the AMCAS that I won't so that there's no delay in processing my apps since my current MCAT grade is relatively good. My PS currently makes a passing mention that I plan to retake it. SHould I remove this part of the essay or will they not really take note of that?

Dude, if your MCAT score is good why are you planning on taking it again?

Hey guys, I took the April MCAT to apply early, but got a problem in my transcript. I deferred physics fianl exam last term, so it appears as "C- Def"
in my transcript. Should I send this to AAMC now? My deferred exam will be in July and the grade will not be changed until August.
Do they know that it is not the proper score, just a default? Or should I wait for the proper score?

Premedtomed said:
Dude, if your MCAT score is good why are you planning on taking it again?

Because the score is good (above average), but I know I can improve it. I took it as a junior before completing a year of orgo or bio (due to my complicated scheduling) so I basically had to read that stuff on my own. I didn't end up applying that year or the next, opting to do research instead and am applying now. I didn't retake the MCAT earlier because of the confidence in my grades, it was actually only after reading on SDN of highly qualified people getting rejected that I thought of retaking. I believe a really good score will boost my chances of getting in. That a good enough reason?

Friday said:
Because the score is good (above average), but I know I can improve it. I took it as a junior before completing a year of orgo or bio (due to my complicated scheduling) so I basically had to read that stuff on my own. I didn't end up applying that year or the next, opting to do research instead and am applying now. I didn't retake the MCAT earlier because of the confidence in my grades, it was actually only after reading on SDN of highly qualified people getting rejected that I thought of retaking. I believe a really good score will boost my chances of getting in. That a good enough reason?

Good luck to you :thumbup:

What are you guys putting for hours for super variable hour activities? Specifically I'm asking because I was in a bunch of theater productions. So the hours ranged from 0 for some weeks of the semester up to like 30 hours.

I guess I could average it out and say like 5-7 a week? Seems really weird though.

I think someone may have posted about this earlier, but I was just wondering - do merit scholarships received for college tuition count as honors/awards, etc. and should they be listed under post-secondary experiences?

CaMD said:
What are you guys putting for hours for super variable hour activities? Specifically I'm asking because I was in a bunch of theater productions. So the hours ranged from 0 for some weeks of the semester up to like 30 hours.

I guess I could average it out and say like 5-7 a week? Seems really weird though.

I was planning on writing 5-7/week type of thing too. However now that I read your post I think I will do that and they add in the description category that some weeks were insanely busy while others not so much. This way they will understand that you were essentially working a full time job and going to school at certain times of the year.

kind of a strange question but here goes: I was looking at my printed out copy of my AMCAS application (after I hit submit) and noticed that it didn't have my "primary language" written down. Anyone else have that problem? Do you figure they will just assume it is English or will I have to rectify this and resubmit?

I have a question as well. I took a course that appears on two transcripts - one for my undergraduate college (which gave me credit for it), and then for the school that I took it at - I'm assuming I only need to list it under one of the two schools on AMCAS?

Also, even though I received the "we got your transcript" emails from AMCAS, my AMCAS welcome page doesn't say anything about transcripts... I'm guessing that the welcome page only starts showing transcript stuff once you've clicked "submit"? Thanks.

ChouetteColette said:
I think someone may have posted about this earlier, but I was just wondering - do merit scholarships received for college tuition count as honors/awards, etc. and should they be listed under post-secondary experiences?

Yes, definitely. List 'em.

leechy said:
I have a question as well. I took a course that appears on two transcripts - one for my undergraduate college (which gave me credit for it), and then for the school that I took it at - I'm assuming I only need to list it under one of the two schools on AMCAS?

Also, even though I received the "we got your transcript" emails from AMCAS, my AMCAS welcome page doesn't say anything about transcripts... I'm guessing that the welcome page only starts showing transcript stuff once you've clicked "submit"? Thanks.

Yeah, it'll change that that "dynamic welcome page" after you click submit.

I'm a post-bacc/non-trad/grad student, so I have a lot of EC's. Which 15 should I pick? Should I try to have an even balance of work/leadership/volunteering/honors/research? Or should I try to get as many medically-related experiences on there as possible? Or focus on EC's that are "unique"? I have a lot of diverse work experience, and a lot of different kinds of volunteering (medical and non-med), and just keep changing my mind about what's important to include. Thanks for any input!

This may have been answered before--I read through the first 12 pages of this thread but didn't see it, but sorry if this is repetitive!

elephunt said:
I'm a post-bacc/non-trad/grad student, so I have a lot of EC's. Which 15 should I pick? Should I try to have an even balance of work/leadership/volunteering/honors/research? Or should I try to get as many medically-related experiences on there as possible? Or focus on EC's that are "unique"? I have a lot of diverse work experience, and a lot of different kinds of volunteering (medical and non-med), and just keep changing my mind about what's important to include. Thanks for any input!

This may have been answered before--I read through the first 12 pages of this thread but didn't see it, but sorry if this is repetitive!

This is what I would do: combine as many things as possible. Try to get one good EC for each category. Go for medical volunteering above non-med, as long as they're equally impressive, but put in one good non-med volunteer EC as well.

I didn't put all of my work experience on there - I put my current full-time job, but I figure no one cares about all the other programming jobs I've had (though I guess I could've combined them). Instead, I focused on the jobs like teaching that have made more of a difference in my career decision, or go to show why I'd be a good doctor.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

leechy said:

I have this also. I listed it only for the school where I took the course, not where it transferred.

Thanks for the input, lorelei. :)
When you say you could have combined your other programming jobs, what do you mean exactly? Would you have put a general title like "programming jobs" and then described each in the description? Is it okay to do that? It would really help if so, since then I could combine various work and volunteer stuff together...

Thanks again!

elephunt said:
Thanks for the input, lorelei. :)
When you say you could have combined your other programming jobs, what do you mean exactly? Would you have put a general title like "programming jobs" and then described each in the description? Is it okay to do that? It would really help if so, since then I could combine various work and volunteer stuff together...

Thanks again!

Yes, I would probably have written a title like "Software Development" and then described them in the explanation. The theory behind that is, they should know I'm a programmer and have had several jobs, but I can't imagine them caring about the fine details.

I don't know for sure if that's OK, because I don't know what goes through the brains of the admissions committee, but I know a lot of people combine their awards and honors. I feel like anything that's important enough to tell them about, but not pivotal or medically related, can probably be combined.

Excellent! Thanks, that helps a lot! :D I wouldn't have thought of combining my awards and honors, other than putting all the "Dean's List" together or whatever...that's a good idea too. Yay, combining EC's! This will make my life easier.

P.S. Wow, lorelei, I just saw your MCAT scores on a different thread!!! Holy cow! CONGRATS!!!! If I knew where to get the clapping smiley, I'd put it here!!! :D

I'm putting the finishing touches on my personal statement. Those of you referencing people (specifically patients, but this applies to anyone who might want privacy), what did you call them ? eg "Mr. C" or did you make up a name for them?

CaMD said:
I'm putting the finishing touches on my personal statement. Those of you referencing people (specifically patients, but this applies to anyone who might want privacy), what did you call them ? eg "Mr. C" or did you make up a name for them?

"my patient" or "the patient"

CaMD said:

well i called him by first name...but come to think of it that wasnt appropriate. but i guess i mentioned that we had become friends in the hospital.

i kinda like Mr. C, for ex, than simply my or the patient. if you put Mr. C or G or whatever, i think it would be fine.

Thanks.

Okay, another PS question (can you tell what I've been doing today?!):
I've read a billion threads where people say, "aaah, I printed out my essay and it's one long paragraph, help!" Fortunately, thanks to SDN I know to paste it into notebook first and then into AMCAS to avoid this. :)

I definitely plan on following the wisdom of my elders, but I'm a little confused. When I click "print application" and look at what my app looks like, the spaces between my paragraphs are still reserved. --Since I've been pasting it in from Word, just to get a character count, I was expecting it to look like the blob that everyone talks about.

When/where does it do the thing where it looks wrong if you didn't notepad it first?

CaMD said:
Thanks.

Okay, another PS question (can you tell what I've been doing today?!):
I've read a billion threads where people say, "aaah, I printed out my essay and it's one long paragraph, help!" Fortunately, thanks to SDN I know to paste it into notebook first and then into AMCAS to avoid this. :)

I definitely plan on following the wisdom of my elders, but I'm a little confused. When I click "print application" and look at what my app looks like, the spaces between my paragraphs are still reserved. --Since I've been pasting it in from Word, just to get a character count, I was expecting it to look like the blob that everyone talks about.

When/where does it do the thing where it looks wrong if you didn't notepad it first?
I used word and I did not have any problems. However, I am applying DO too, and AACOMAS is much crappier than AMCAS. They butcher your PS into a blob regardless of what WP you use to write it :mad: . From what I understand, the way the AMCAS app looks on the print screen is the way med schools see it, so you should be good to go. If you apply DO too, thats another story :thumbdown:

medic170 said:
I used word and I did not have a proble. However, i am applying DO too, and AACOMAS is much crappier than AMCAS. They butcher your PS into a blob regardless of what WP you use to write it :mad: . From what I understand, the way the AMCAS app looks on the print screen is the way med schools see it, so you should be good to go. If you apply DO too, thats another story :thumbdown:

Thanks, medic170!

i have posted this in another forum but didn't hear back so i thought i would see if anyone here might know...I submitted my amcas and it says i am "active" but next to my study abroad info it has "Exception request pending" listed. My study abroad was through my college here in the states and I received the credit for it on my USA transcript.

I am worried this is holding up my application though! Any ideas? :confused:

I have been taking post-bacc classes, so of which I took many, many years ago as an undergrad. Because I already have grades from 10 years ago, the newer version shows up on my transcript as an "S". It doesn't say my actual grade. What do I enter as the grade on AMCAS? Don't I need the actual grade so that it can be calculated in my GPA? BUt doesn't it have to match my transcript?

HELP, I AM CONFUSED

I have 14 secondary experiences that I think are pretty effective, but I can't think of a fifteenth for the life of me. Should I try and break one of the 14 in two or should I just submit with only 14? Thanks.

L'elephante said:
I have 14 secondary experiences that I think are pretty effective, but I can't think of a fifteenth for the life of me. Should I try and break one of the 14 in two or should I just submit with only 14? Thanks.

It's great that you have 14 'pretty effective' post-secondary experiences. It's not the quantity that matters, just the quality. If you are shooting for the 'Magic 15' instead of thinking about which experiences really do matter, than I would recommend rethinking this section.

I submitted my AMCAS with 10 post-secondary experiences. Most of my pre-med colleagues had anywhere from 7 to 12 experiences. I don't know of anyone above that.

Jason

Jason110 said:
It's great that you have 14 'pretty effective' post-secondary experiences. It's not the quantity that matters, just the quality. If you are shooting for the 'Magic 15' instead of thinking about which experiences really do matter, than I would recommend rethinking this section.

I submitted my AMCAS with 10 post-secondary experiences. Most of my pre-med colleagues had anywhere from 7 to 12 experiences. I don't know of anyone above that.

Jason

Thanks. I was under the impression that most applicants had more than 15 and just chose the best 15 to put in the application. It's nice to know that I was wrong. A fellow pre-med friend of mine has well over 15 and it was intimidating to me. That would be nice to be able to choose the best 15, but I will definitely look them over and make sure that they are as effective as possible.

Scubadoc said:
i have posted this in another forum but didn't hear back so i thought i would see if anyone here might know...I submitted my amcas and it says i am "active" but next to my study abroad info it has "Exception request pending" listed. My study abroad was through my college here in the states and I received the credit for it on my USA transcript.

I am worried this is holding up my application though! Any ideas? :confused:

I have a degree from abroad too - and it says the same thing. Same worries as you - hope its not holding our applications up.