1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Studying for the DAT, GRE, OAT or PCAT? Test Prep Week Exhibitors are here to help!

Anesthesiology Critical Care Fellowship 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by SloeDOwn, Sep 10, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. SloeDOwn

SloeDOwn 2+ Year Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Hey all, as the SICU fellowship application opens it would be useful to have current and past fellows comment on the rigor and schedule of their prospective program. Also, I would be interested in prospective job offers or current jobs, like benefits, compensation, etc. Did you get a job during residency or fellowship??

I'm especially interested in UPenn, Vandy, Duke, Michigan, but would like to hear about everyone's experience. Thanks guys.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor 10+ Year Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Ann Arbor
    I'm a Michigan ACCM alum...that critical care year was the single best year of education in my life.

I know folks that trained at each of the institutions that you named - you'll get great training at any of those. But I LOVED me some Michigan ICU.

Good luck!

FFP likes this.
  4. MoMD

MoMD ASA Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 30, 2013
    you r welcome....

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  5. SloeDOwn

SloeDOwn 2+ Year Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Can you comment on the schedule bigdan? For instance Call was q??? Did you actually take call. I know the fellows at CCF don't take 24hour call period. Secondly did you work 1 week of nights then off a few days? HOw many different ICUs? Any TEE experience? Did you see tons of ECMO or device patients?

Are you presently working academic or private? 100% ICU?

Thank you in advance.

6. SevoLution

SevoLution 2+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Current Anesthesiology CCM fellow at UC San Diego

Schedule is pretty brutal half the month (CTICU DAYS, CTICU NIGHTS each for 6 consecutive days)

That is followed by a week at the VA and a week of elective which includes your choice of any other ICU experience or dedicated Echo training, research etc. The elective week is pretty chill and allows for enjoyment of the beautiful city of San Diego. You're also welcome in the OR for TEE experience and I've found that surgeons appreciate when you take a vested interest in their patients before they reach the ICU as well.

I'd say clinically the experience here is excellent. We do any transplant you can think of and we do a LOT of them. VADs, ECMO out the wazoo. Fellows have dibs on airways, lines, chest tubes, echo, bronch you name it. It's also cool if you just want to help residents refine their skills. Staff at UCSD (Anesthesiology CCM docs and Surgeons) are really reasonable to work with and provide a fair amount of autonomy ... especially at night.

I'm sure there are tons of fellowships that offer a similar experience. There are probably MANY that are less rigorous and perhaps a few that are more demanding. In exactly a year, the rubber meets the road so get everything out of it that you can. I wanted to be able to run a major CTICU when I finished so I chose a cardiac heavy program. There's something out there for everyone.