Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They are not hard to come by in academics.
It’s opened up opportunities for me to get out of the OR.
What’s the pay like in academics as anesthesia/ccm, and would you still recommend the fellowship?
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
They are not hard to come by in academics.
It’s opened up opportunities for me to get out of the OR.
What’s the pay like in academics as anesthesia/ccm, and would you still recommend the fellowship?
The real money is not in billing, it's in referrals. An internist generates 10x his salary in revenues for the hospital. That's also how an intensivist makes money for the system (just on a worse payer-mix), and an anesthesiologist cannot come close to that. Critical care time (which is about $500/day) and procedures (which are paid peanuts) are just the icing on the cake.In the end its about money generation and like most of American medicine money is in procedures which to be honest Anesthesiologists are neck and neck with in comparison to all of the medical specialities. We just have to ensure that the future services provided in the ICU aren't bundled into "critical care time"
As for the community MICUs, where the real ICU pathology tends to be, most hospitals don't even consider anesthesiologist-intensivists for them, because many MICU jobs are coupled either with pulm or with residency programs (where non-internists are still personae non grata).
It’s academic pay so not that fabulous.What’s the pay like in academics as anesthesia/ccm, and would you still recommend the fellowship?
Pay is often about the same as a generalist, maybe more to start. When I was interviewing in fellowship, some places wanted to start me the same as the guy fresh out of residency, others gave a little extra (maybe $25k) for the extra year of training. As with everything pertaining to the academic market, though, there is a lot of regional variation. In the part of the country where I am now, academic jobs start in the mid to high 200s, even for those with fellowships. I have a colleague in the Midwest, though, who's total comp is closer to 500.What’s the pay like in academics as anesthesia/ccm, and would you still recommend the fellowship?
Pay is often about the same as a generalist, maybe more to start. When I was interviewing in fellowship, some places wanted to start me the same as the guy fresh out of residency, others gave a little extra (maybe $25k) for the extra year of training. As with everything pertaining to the academic market, though, there is a lot of regional variation. In the part of the country where I am now, academic jobs start in the mid to high 200s, even for those with fellowships. I have a colleague in the Midwest, though, who's total comp is closer to 500.
Ah gotcha. I'm guessing anything east coast would be tough to top $350k which for academics I would be thrilled with even if I had to work 50-60 hours a week and honestly that's a number I'd like to top. With academics, I just don't want to be capped with a salary which often seems what happens and with that I think I'd be losing a lot more money then I could actually make. It's a bummer. I'm guessing community programs with private attendings, most likely wouldn't allow me to do the split OR/CCM gig as part of the contract.
My program, gods bless them and their loved ones, was a mixed anesthesia-IM-pulm-EM. Everybody rotated everywhere, same faculty, same in-house calls. I didn't have toys like ECMO and VADs, but, boy, did I learn bread and butter (medical) critical care and proper thinking. And echo.
Are you sure I actually did one? Aren't I the one saying that an ICU fellowship is not worth it? 🙂Will you never divulge where you did fellowship?? Give us a hint!
The answer should be No, unfortunately. Due to various geniuses on both sides, we don't officially cross-pollinate. AFAIK, the ABA doesn't have an arrangement with ABIM.Hello. Does anyone know of any cases of IM trained docs completing ACCM fellowship? I sent emails to those programs asking if I am eligible but and some had me send my application, but now im not sure if I will be able to be ABIM certified.
The answer should be No, unfortunately. Due to various geniuses on both sides, we don't officially cross-pollinate. AFAIK, the ABA doesn't have an arrangement with ABIM.
However... there are some mixed programs, where there are separate IM and anesthesia fellowships (on paper), but the fellows train together and cover the same ICUs with the same multidisciplinary attendings. I think that's the best kind of training for a future intensivist.
I wonder how they are even considering my application... very interesting
+100.Likely someone who has no idea what is going on.
Keep in mind that some of these open programs might just be looking to take anyone on... they need warm bodies to get the work done. They may not care whether or not you end up board eligible afterwards.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.