This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGroove

Reaction score
Got an associates degree with research, all my prerequisites done, multiple LOR’s, and have other awards/accomplishments specific to the small college but it’s a 90 minute drive. About to start a 24/48 schedule, so traditional classes would be hard and I’m considering finishing my undergrad at the University of Florida online. Anyone done something similar with success?

Posted something similar before, but was just asking if it could be done. Hoping I can get some more insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't do this, most schools will not accept prereqs that were taken online, in addition, given how furious the competition is, you will be at a serious disadvantage with your online degree. Search the forum, this question was brought up multiple times.

I wouldn't do this, most schools will not accept prereqs that were taken online, in addition, given how furious the competition is, you will be at a serious disadvantage with your online degree. Search the forum, this question was brought up multiple times.

Finished all prereqs, that’s why I was asking. Most previous posts are about online degrees start to finish. Mine is basically for everything except my prereqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finished all prereqs, that’s why I was asking. Most previous posts are about online degrees start to finish. Mine is basically for everything except my prereqs.

Finished all prereqs in person ****

Finished all prereqs in person ****
You did it at CC, which may be frowned upon at some schools. Again, you could apply, but consider the competition. Also, put yourself in adcoms shoes: some guy took all their prerequisites at community college and then opted to get bachelor online. For me it looks like you are just trying to avoid difficulties and get the easy road, you will be competing with 4.0 robots from top schools, and you will need to convince adcoms that you can handle medical school. It's up to you, but I strongly advice to get your bachelor's in person and complement prerequisites with some upper level science classes, and, of course, ace the MCAT. As a person who studied at CC (however, I took only general education classes there), I can tell you that this was a joke, 4 year school is a lot harder (n=1 of course).

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't hurt me, but I also have excellent ECs. I have an online degree in math, did all my prereqs in person. Got 7 interviews and multiple acceptances. I also am very non-trad and had a good reason to do my degree online, so that might be part of why it didn't hurt me. It's always better to do it in person if you can.

Reactions: 2 users
Didn't hurt me, but I also have excellent ECs. I have an online degree in math, did all my prereqs in person. Got 7 interviews and multiple acceptances. I also am very non-trad and had a good reason to do my degree online, so that might be part of why it didn't hurt me. It's always better to do it in person if you can.

You were also military, which greatly changes your circumstances

Reactions: 4 users
Which is why I wrote "I am also very non-trad and had a good reason to do my degree online, so that might be part of why it didn't hurt me."
Out of curiosity if you dont mind, where did you get your II and what school are you going to?

Out of curiosity if you dont mind, where did you get your II and what school are you going to?

I applied to 5 MD schools and got interviews at 3. Withdrew from one and got a reject from the other (poor choice of applying since I was OOS and they take few OOS). Also applied to 4 DO schools and got interviews at all 4.

Going to USUHS.

Reactions: 2 users
I applied to 5 MD schools and got interviews at 3. Withdrew from one and got a reject from the other (poor choice of applying since I was OOS and they take few OOS). Also applied to 4 DO schools and got interviews at all 4.

Going to USUHS.

Random, but does USUHS still have a service requirement for you if you've already served? I've long wondered that.

it is served consecutively.
That is awesome that it is served consecutively. Also, 7 years? That is post residency, right? Also, out of curiosity, are you able to switch branches if desired as a prior service? I am considering adding USUHS later in the cycle if I don’t have as many interviews as I would like...But I would want round two to be air force lol

That is awesome that it is served consecutively. Also, 7 years? That is post residency, right? Also, out of curiosity, are you able to switch branches if desired as a prior service? I am considering adding USUHS later in the cycle if I don’t have as many interviews as I would like...But I would want round two to be air force lol

I’ll PM you so we don’t derail the thread.

Reactions: 1 user
It will make you less competitive but how much so may depend on your entire situation . Your appear to working full time so a nontraditional student. Give me some idea of what you are doing, what you studied/major at CC, what you plan to major in online

It wasn’t a CC. It’s a college that used to offer only associate degrees, but then started to offer bachelors. Ever since, it’s continued to hold both. Granted, it’s still a no-name school in the boonies. I will have an associates of science in biology - this covered all my prerequisites, a research project with a presentation at a state conference, an internship at the local hospital, and guaranteed shadowing (I did mine with a general surgeon).

I did this while simultaneously attending a technical college to become an AEMT. Managed a GPA of 3.8 while there and will have a good 2 years worth of work as an AEMT with 911 dispatch and at the hospital.

Accomplishments that I could list would be sort of random, but definitely meaningful to me. Left a job with a Fortune 500 company, comfortable pay, and benefits. Sold my home. Sold my car. Hell, sold most of my clothes. Downgraded everything. Went and worked in construction, back-breaking work that paid less than 1/3 of my original salary. I did this while attending two colleges simultaneously. I’ve started a company that donates products to homeless shelters (hygiene products, clothing, blankets, etc.) and have currently donated slightly over 1,000 products in total. In 2 years time, I’m sure this could be at least twice as much as currently, as it didn’t really pick up until the last 6 months or so. I’ve ran multiple marathons and am currently training for my first ultra. I was also recently awarded the chance to get my personal trainer certification for free. I’ve fallen in love with my experiences from geriatric patients and would like to use that sort of certification to help local areas that hold geriatrics (nursing homes, hospices, etc.) to help them stay active and encourage that sort of positivity. Granted, this is a random hypothetical situation. Regardless, I may take the training since it’s free and I enjoy it.

Reason I want to pursue medicine are very long, but I feel like my personal statement could be crafted really well from this. I used to eat horribly and was always lethargic, unmotivated, and just low. Started eating better and it changed everything. Became obsessed with nutrition. Then the physiology of how food breaks down in the body. Our microbiome. Led to me wanting to do research. Started an EMT class and fell in love with having patients. I always come to the same questions. Why not be a nutritionist? I want to participate in research, even outside of nutrition. Why not PhD? Because I really want patients. I’ve discovered this through my EMT journey. Also, our AEMT’s are expected to borderline do almost everything the paramedic does other than push drugs. This may be specific to my area, because a lot of people claim EMT experience isn’t that great, but our scope of practice is very broad where I am, so the experience has been phenomenal.

Biggest reason I’m considering online is because of bills. I’m a non-trad, I don’t think it takes a ton of explaining. 24/48 hour shifts help me finish 24 hours worth of paid time, something I can usually only get in 3 whole days worth of work in other jobs. This gives me 2 more days a week to focus on other things (studying, shadowing, volunteering..)

Sorry for the long reply. Wanted to kind of shed some light on my situation and was getting the vibe people think I’m looking for an easy way out or am being lazy. Online is simply more feasible for me now that my prerequisites, LOR’s, shadowing, etc are cleared. I can still get my undergraduate from the University of Florida and be challenged. 2-3 of the classes actually require me to come to the campus during the summer for in-person labs - again, these are not prereqs thouth. It won’t be a walk in the park.

Granted, I will continue to drive 90 minutes a day to a far away, no-name college if taking my other classes in person are truly that much more beneficial. I assumed staying (slightly) more sane during the process, still getting a biology undergrad, and graduating from a college like UF would be more beneficial, although I do understand the actual college makes no true difference in terms of an application other than if you went to somewhere like Yale.

The next two years I would plan to work in EMS, shadow in every specialty possible, volunteer throughout the community, continue working my company that donates considerably, finish an ultra marathon, become certified as a trainer and help out in any ways possible through that, volunteer as a teaching assistant for the tech college I got my EMS diploma from, and the like.

Given a strong personal statement, average GPA and MCAT (to be safe, aiming for high of course!), my EC’s, is it really that bad to finish online?

Again, sorry for such a long post.

How long did you work at fortune 500? How old are you?

Worked there for 3 years. Previously worked in construction (which is why I do it now to get by until I’m an AEMT) and thought I’d “made it” with the Fortune 500 (100 actually) job. I’m lucky to have lived in both perspectives, from very comfortable to dirt poor. I am currently 27 with ~ 2 years left of undergrad. Soon graduating with a technical college diploma in Emergency Professions (EMT Basic, advanced EMT, and diploma in one) and associates in biology. Trying to decide fully from there!

With your background and work, while online will always be reduction competitiveness, your nontrad path and background, will make that impact much less of a problem. What will you get a online degree in?

I’m currently undecided. The options are borderline endless. There are multiple colleges available and majors. I’ve considered everything really. English would be nice. I’m an extremely avid reader and have my own library of books. Psychology is interesting, although more of a pseudoscience to some and something I could study/read on my own. Biology is a choice, some colleges offering Bachelor of Arts (like Florida) while others offer Bachelor of Science (Arizona State University). I feel like the upper level biology classes would help for my MCAT and application since some require in-person labs, but this is also my only real opportunity to study outside the hard sciences for a while. I’d be lying if I said I had a specific major in mind.

I would suggest NOT biology or other science via online degree

Why’s that? Do you think it would make my entire application suspicious? I just emailed all my state schools. The most prestigious (for lack of a better word) of them replied and indicated it would be fine. The email says, “As long as your coursework is completed at a regionally accredited institution, it will be accepted toward our course requirements. So in the end, the decision really is up to you.” That’s to summarize a pretty lengthy email response. The rest of the email mentions scoring well on the mcat, getting LOR’s, and the like.

Yes, your course work would be acceptable but would it make you competitive? No! it would put you in a weak position, especially competing against 50% of the applicant pool that are bio majors. Personally, I would recommend a non-science major

Understandable. I won’t complain about the process! I can completely understand the admissions POV, although most medical schools seem to involve a lot of learning from home and online. It should be a plus for me, right? Haha. All joking aside, I sincerely appreciate your help.