anyone heard from loma linda?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poloace

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i interviewed there early january and have yet to hear from them. anyone else??

p

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am really interested In Loma Linda, but have not gotten an interview there yet. Do you mind telling me if you are SDA and your stats? Do you have any advice on how to get an inerview? I heard they interview through May.

I believe that the admissions committee meets about once a month around 20th of the month. They usually call the people that get accepted. I wouldn't worry at this point Poloace. I interviewed at a couple of other schools in early Jan and they both told me that I would probably have to wait 8 to 12 weeks.

What were impressions of LLU, polo?

Members don't see this ad :)
the school was very nice. i had done research there for like 4 years on and off, and had parents who both worked there. so, i was very comfortable at the school and felt at home. (i'm from redlands too, remember?). the student guides were great, and the weather was perfect. it was nice to be back in cali over winter break and away from nyc. ahh... fish tacos in so cal. very good. hope all is well

-p

Wow I didn't know that you did 4 years of research at LLU. I wouldn't think you should have much trouble getting in with all that research there. I did remember you were from redlands but I didn't know that you had worked at loma linda. There is a good chance that I will be at loma linda next year. How high is loma linda on your list of schools maybe I'll see you there next year?

LLU is actually one of my top choices for medical school (I'll be applying a year from this summer). Any tips to increase my odds of getting in? I'm going to be doing cardiology research there this summer with a doctor.

Other than the usual things such as MCAT, GPA, and ecs, I think an important thing that LLU considers is if they feel that you would be compatible with their school. If you are involved in a church a letter of recommendation from a pastor/priest/clergy probably helps. I think that it will be helpful that you are doing research at loma linda as one of their secondary questions asks how you are familiar with the school. You may be aware that LLU asks (requires) that their students do not drink, smoke, or use recreational drugs and there is a question on the secondary asking if you have done these in the past year. If you haven't it probably helps. The final thing is to understand what Loma Linda stands for be able to explain why you want to go there. Good luck and have fun (cardiology is awesome:D).

I interviewed at Loma Linda on Dec 12 and received my acceptance letter on Jan 14. I was really suprised it came so quickly. The admissions office said that it could take 2-3 months to hear from them.

I am not SDA and not overly active in my church (catholic). I did work for a LLU alumni as a medical technician during the summer and he wrote me a nice letter of recommendation. My stats are average (3.6, 30Q), but my interviews were awesome. I am non-traditional and have been teaching for the last 5 years in the public school system.

Last week, I spent the day at LLU with a second year student (a friend of the LLU alumni I worked with). I went to lecture and religion class. Yes, religion class is required and attendance is taken. The religion class that I went to was about managing crisis with the family members of your patients.

I have been accepted to two other schools and have decided that Loma Linda is the right place for me. The tuition is high, but so are the other schools I have been accepted to. But, I do think LLU is looking for people that will fit into their "mission". If religion offends you or if drinking/smoking is an important part of your lifestyle - then this is not the school for you.

Thanks for the response. I have always loved LLU. I have volunteered in their cardiology dept. and I am really looking forward to the research this summer. My main concern is that I am not SDA. I am Christian, but I don't know if this well help or hurt me. I don't drink or smoke, so I have that going for me.

Being SDA is a plus in the admissions process, but of course there are other factors. I believe being a Christian does help. Like I mentioned before I am sure that the fact that you have volunteered at their facility helps because it shows them that you have some familarity with their school.

still haven't heard from them...
anyone???

p

what if you drink coffee? would it be looked down upon if you brought it to class? i'm totally not trying to be obnoxious/silly. i'm just wondering if that's allowed. i didn't apply there as i don't think i'd fit in too well but was wondering how strict it really is.

When I was there two weeks ago, there were several people at lecture with "starbucks" cups and I didn't see anyone making a big deal about it. I think Loma Linda's emphasis is more on abstaining from alcohol, tobacco and abusing any type of drug.
The campus is non-smoking. Of course, they can't keep their patients from smoking over at the hospital - but the area of the campus that the lecture halls are located is non-smoking.

Originally posted by lola
what if you drink coffee? would it be looked down upon if you brought it to class? i'm totally not trying to be obnoxious/silly. i'm just wondering if that's allowed. i didn't apply there as i don't think i'd fit in too well but was wondering how strict it really is.

I don't think anyone would care about coffee. A lot of the doctors drink it and I'm sure the students do to. As teach said the big emphasis is smoking and drinking (and of course illegal drugs aren't allowed). You probably won't find coffee in the cafeteria, but it isn't forbidden.

funny story-
my cousin just started residency in the radiology dept.
the other residents pulled him to the side and told him where the secret coffee stash was. made me laugh.

p

I heard from Loma Linda about a week ago via snail mail and I interviewed in January. I was told to wait indefinitely until they had reached a decision so I was not expecting anything really. But I was happy to hear that I got in. I think that Loma Linda really takes care of its students. I was actually surprised that some of the classes are letter graded. I did not get a chance to talk to many students there to gauge the atmosphere so I will probably try and return to the area to get to know the place better. They actually said that they took 2 out of 3 people who had interviewed so that was a pleasant surprise.:cool:

Originally posted by poloace
funny story-
the other residents pulled him to the side and told him where the secret coffee stash was. made me laugh.

p

Similar story... I worked in the cardiology dept., and I was told where the soda stash was! :D

hi everyone!

I dream everyday of going to LLU one day -- hopefully it will become a reality for me. I have a silly question. What is the SDA you guys are all talking about?

:D

funny story-

I work for 3 doctors who are LLU alumni and 2 out of 3 start their day off with coffee. They head to our break room and get the coffee machine started first thing in the morning. :D

Originally posted by machupichu
hi everyone!

I dream everyday of going to LLU one day -- hopefully it will become a reality for me. I have a silly question. What is the SDA you guys are all talking about?

:D

SDA stands for Seventh Day Adventist. That's the religion of the school and the religion of the majority of the students who attend LLU.

if i don't hear anything from them soon, i'm going to have to assume that i didn't get in :( this blows. anyway, congrats to those that have gotten in thus far.

p

I havent's heard any news yet either, but I am still hoping:)