Anyone know Anything of Pikeville?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bryce

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am interested in applying to Pikeville COM and I am wondering if anyone associated with the school in any way can enlighten me on the Pros/Cons of the school. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks

Bryce

Members don't see this ad.

I will be at DCOM this fall, however when i applied there i found out that they prefer applachian population and are strongly in favor of in-state (kentucky) applicants. Since you are from ohio, you would def be fighting the odds..good luck.

Pros of Pikeville: The president or dean or someone higher up at pikeville is Dr. Strosnider (AOA soon to be former AOA president) so be sure you'll be up to date on what's happening there. Also you'd be learning OMT from Dr. Edward Stiles who is kind of a big deal around the osteopathic world. It's a rural setting if that's what you're in to.

Cons: it's a rural setting if that's not what you're in to... And as the lamborghini guy said, they do tend to favor instaters.

Good luck man.... and why not OSU-COM?

Members don't see this ad :)
pros:

- a lot of things are covered in your tuition that aren't covered at most schools (including all medical equipment, laptop, kaplan classes, all books), so this is definitely a perk

- small school with a familial atmosphere; a good friend of mine goes to the school and she's repeatedly told me that the professors are not only excellent teachers, but excellent human beings who care about you and your success, this seemed to the be the case when i went there to interview also

- high board pass rate

- very accommodating with rotation sites

- 1:1 preceptor:student ratio during rotations

con:
- rural, rural, rural. you have to drive out at least 2-3 hours to get to a city. there's really nothing to do in pikeville.

but as these guys said before, there's a super strong emphasis on students from the appalachia region.

Pros of Pikeville: The president or dean or someone higher up at pikeville is Dr. Strosnider (AOA soon to be former AOA president) so be sure you'll be up to date on what's happening there. Also you'd be learning OMT from Dr. Edward Stiles who is kind of a big deal around the osteopathic world. It's a rural setting if that's what you're in to.

Cons: it's a rural setting if that's not what you're in to... And as the lamborghini guy said, they do tend to favor instaters.

Good luck man.... and why not OSU-COM?

Actually Dr. Stiles stepped down as the chairman of the OMT department and is mostly affiliated with the residency program in Pikeville, so you wouldn't be learning OMT from him.:thumbdown:

I grad. high school in Louisville, and I have fam all over the state, including Pikeville. However I can't get honest advice from the fam there [as they are local politicians] ;-) Also, I they do their rotations at Ft. Stewart, GA., which is where I had my surgery after being injured in Iraq. I'd make sure that I gave better care than I or my buddies received.

I'll also be applying to OUCOM as well, I am just very interested in heading back down south for a few years.

Pikeville is a great place to do medicine, I just graduated from PCSOM and I would put my education up against anyones. The school gives you a good foundation for medicine and if you look at our residency match list it's pretty impressive. I feel that we have some of the best 3rd and 4th year education in the country...this come from experience.

As the city goes....Pikeville is a small town, there's not alot of things to do in Pikeville...but I look at it as a positive because it brought my class closer together and I have a lot of friends from medical school. Also, you don't have alot of time to go during medical school. It does seem that everyday more and more events and resturants are opening up, so it's not like the city isn't growing. Plus, the civic center has a something to do on average a couple times a month.

Now, getting into Pikeville...I would say that you stand a pretty good chance at getting into Pikeville if you have decent stats. The reason I say this is that you are familar with the area and you graduated HS from Louisville. I would suggest that you come to Pikeville and take a look at the school, talk to Dean Payson and meet some of the students and staff.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, I'll try my best to help.

I've heard only positives about Pikeville from a faculty standpoint. Apparently, they "stole" a bunch of faculty members from other schools when they opened. I'm assuming most of them are still there?? I know the Pathology course is well done b/c the primary instructor used to come to my school to do some lectures and he was great!

I've heard only positives about Pikeville from a faculty standpoint. Apparently, they "stole" a bunch of faculty members from other schools when they opened. I'm assuming most of them are still there?? I know the Pathology course is well done b/c the primary instructor used to come to my school to do some lectures and he was great!
Ok, so far all that I have heard of the USS PIKEVILLE is a load of somthing, but it sure is not the truth. Frist, the pathology is the worst of the coms, the staff consists of 2 folks, a wantabe reteriee and a high school teacher who is trying to learn the material and present it in the past two years. The only clinical and OMT staff worth mentioning is dr. stiles and dr. litmann, the rest are a bunch of navy jerks who only concerns themselves with how to kill the moral of low end students. The worst of the group is a dr. murphy, who the board of trustees should be made aware of the childishness he brings to the school. dr callan, he is just clueless and the new dr lovins is dr murphy's side kick. It is sad to see how this school has deterieated since the "good ol' days" with Dr Stro's talks, Dr Betz's humuor and sense of fair play/ How money is wasted on oral health classes, that take two weeks to complete with about 80 hrs of class time and the final exam is handed out a few days before the class. what a joke you guys. I also laugh at all these folks who say "I'll put my education against any other school's" medical school is what you make of it, it really dosn't matter where you go, if the school is accredited, and you put the time in, you can go the distance. PCSOM puts not person ahead of any other school. in a bizzare fashion, the folks at the school encourage you to take boards close to end of classes without the time to study. The school faculty and instructors say that board scores don't matter, you just gotta pass them "The competition is over once you are accepted" That is whateveryone is told, funny there are folks who are placed in rotation sites according to grade and kiss up points, not need or ability. Yea right, competition is over, just a another load of somthing that is not the truth. Best steer clear of this school folks, the facility is poor, the options for students and student facilitities are greatly needed/// let us not forget the daily sign in sheets, yea, by dr. murphy edict we must sign in every class and he even passes by the doors at the same time twice each day checking out who is in class...guys don't waste your money, there is nothing for free here or value added, students don't have a voice, the rotation sites are poor to ok, oh yeah, they have norwalk and dayton, but I heard they are going to loose both sites soon, go somewhere else if you can! and for you few voices who support the school, if the school was so GREAT since the schools inception we should have at least 10 percent of each class supportng the school, we don't. Any support is faculty logging on as a student and tryign to boots its image, or one or two from the previous 4 years who just didn't care to see beyond thier privelaged noses......simply put....dump PCSOM move on to another school if you have the option...

Hmmm.... Doc2006pa is entitled to his/her opinions and I can respect that. I am sorry that their experience was so bad at PCSOM and hope he/she is satisfied with their chosen residency program. I will attempt to give the best summation of my experience. Keep in mind, I am a fourth year student and have not been on campus hardly at all in the past 11 months.

I won't deny the fact that the school is in a transition phase. This has been a busy year for the school with Dr. Strosnider as acting president of the AOA. I honestly could not tell you anything about the administrative performance at the school this past year. There have been several changes in the past year. Since I have not been in Pikeville, I will not comment on things I have not been directly exposed to.

I felt Pathology (when I took it) was a weak course. However, I feel that the comment about our "new pathologist" is inaccurate. She taught several of my classes during the second year. I can tell you that she is dedicated to giving her all. I felt (as the majority of the classmates I spoke with) that she was a refreshing addition to the faculty. No one has tried harder than she at trying to make our pathology education a more pleasurable experience. She actually attended most of our KAPLAN COMLEX review to find pointers for the next year's lectures. I also failed to mention the fact that she is extremely intelligent.

Our microbiology course at PCSOM is excellent. It will prepare you for your boards I can promise you that. Yes, the class is very difficult, but the end results are excellent. Dr. Laurich and Dr. Heist are excellent professors. Both lobby for the betterment of the students that apply themselves.

Dr. Harris and Dr. DeAtley teach a great pharmacology course. Both are also huge student advocates.

Dr. Soniera is an excellent anatomy professor. He also teaches Neuroanatomy. Both of these classes are difficult, but I felt he taught them very well. Neuroanatomy was huge on my step I exam last year.

I personally had some trouble in Physiology. We have two faculty members that teach this subject. My hardest block was respiratory physiology by far. I had a conversation with one of these physiologists two years ago after one of our block exams. My opinion of him vastly improved after my conversation with him. While I will keep the subject of this conversation private, I will say that I know he really wants people to do well in his course and is willing to work weekends and do extra study sessions to help people learn the material better.

I had the privilage of being taught OP&P by two great osteopathic physicians. Both have their individual strengths that set them apart. Dr. Stiles resigned from his position last year and is working at Pikeville Medical Center with the +1 OMT program there. Dr. Litman is the current OP&P chair. I wish we could have had both of them for my second year at PCSOM, but it did not work out that way. Dr. Stiles' reputation precedes him. Dr. Litman is also a wonderful physician, instructor, student advocate and friend. I feel honored to have worked with them both. I also had the opportunity to work with a few other PCSOM graduates that are excellent at OMT.

At different times this year, I felt that my clinical knowledge was not what it should be. However, most of the physicians that I have rotated with feel that my knowledge is where it should be for my level of medical education. I have to give credit to the faculty at PCSOM for that.

Every school has their problems. PCSOM is not exempt from that statement. This is my opinion of the program and other people may disagree. PCSOM gave me the opportunity to fulfill my dream of becoming a physician and I am thankful for that. If I can help you with any other questions, please let me know.

Hmmm.... Doc2006pa is entitled to his/her opinions and I can respect that. I am sorry that their experience was so bad at PCSOM and hope he/she is satisfied with their chosen residency program. I will attempt to give the best summation of my experience. Keep in mind, I am a fourth year student and have not been on campus hardly at all in the past 11 months.

I won't deny the fact that the school is in a transition phase. This has been a busy year for the school with Dr. Strosnider as acting president of the AOA. I honestly could not tell you anything about the administrative performance at the school this past year. There have been several changes in the past year. Since I have not been in Pikeville, I will not comment on things I have not been directly exposed to.

I felt Pathology (when I took it) was a weak course. However, I feel that the comment about our "new pathologist" is inaccurate. She taught several of my classes during the second year. I can tell you that she is dedicated to giving her all. I felt (as the majority of the classmates I spoke with) that she was a refreshing addition to the faculty. No one has tried harder than she at trying to make our pathology education a more pleasurable experience. She actually attended most of our KAPLAN COMLEX review to find pointers for the next year's lectures. I also failed to mention the fact that she is extremely intelligent.

Our microbiology course at PCSOM is excellent. It will prepare you for your boards I can promise you that. Yes, the class is very difficult, but the end results are excellent. Dr. Laurich and Dr. Heist are excellent professors. Both lobby for the betterment of the students that apply themselves.

Dr. Harris and Dr. DeAtley teach a great pharmacology course. Both are also huge student advocates.

Dr. Soniera is an excellent anatomy professor. He also teaches Neuroanatomy. Both of these classes are difficult, but I felt he taught them very well. Neuroanatomy was huge on my step I exam last year.

I personally had some trouble in Physiology. We have two faculty members that teach this subject. My hardest block was respiratory physiology by far. I had a conversation with one of these physiologists two years ago after one of our block exams. My opinion of him vastly improved after my conversation with him. While I will keep the subject of this conversation private, I will say that I know he really wants people to do well in his course and is willing to work weekends and do extra study sessions to help people learn the material better.

I had the privilage of being taught OP&P by two great osteopathic physicians. Both have their individual strengths that set them apart. Dr. Stiles resigned from his position last year and is working at Pikeville Medical Center with the +1 OMT program there. Dr. Litman is the current OP&P chair. I wish we could have had both of them for my second year at PCSOM, but it did not work out that way. Dr. Stiles' reputation precedes him. Dr. Litman is also a wonderful physician, instructor, student advocate and friend. I feel honored to have worked with them both. I also had the opportunity to work with a few other PCSOM graduates that are excellent at OMT.

At different times this year, I felt that my clinical knowledge was not what it should be. However, most of the physicians that I have rotated with feel that my knowledge is where it should be for my level of medical education. I have to give credit to the faculty at PCSOM for that.

Every school has their problems. PCSOM is not exempt from that statement. This is my opinion of the program and other people may disagree. PCSOM gave me the opportunity to fulfill my dream of becoming a physician and I am thankful for that. If I can help you with any other questions, please let me know.

Ace, your assesment of the basic science instructors is fair.
good luck on step 2...

Thanks a lot doc2006pa. I sure do need the encouragement. I did ok on step I but would like to do much better on step II. I hope your residency is going well and will talk to you soon. Take care!

i know you'll do fine Ace, residency is well....
i just need to say i think puting the school in murphy's hands is a tremendous mistake.
i can recall at least two folks in my class he targeted and made each moment a living he**. It is sad.

i know you'll do fine Ace, residency is well....
i just need to say i think puting the school in murphy's hands is a tremendous mistake.
i can recall at least two folks in my class he targeted and made each moment a living he**. It is sad.

Hey doc2006pa,
I agree with you, if murphy is in charge it is fur' sur' time to abandon ship! The USS Pikeville is now the USS Murphy, all hail furer murphster...

Thanks again for your confidence!

Weredonenow, how is your residency going? I hope both of you guys are doing well. I am beginning the whole ERAS and match stuff as we speak. It is kinda like applying for medical school over again. Have a good one.

Aaron