This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year DO student here, and am still on the fence about taking Step 1. Interested in FM residency. Does anyone know if it is required to report Step 1 scores on the NRMP residency application post merger completion? Previously there was still the AOA; therefore, ERAS application. Now it will only be NRMP. I'm just wondering how the actual application will look for those students who only took COMLEX. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you beginning or end of 3rd year?

No you won’t have to report it. It will just show your comlex score

Thanks for the reply. I am beginning of 3rd year. So, I'm assuming you've gone through an NRMP match already? And you do not have to upload a USMLE score transcript? Is there any 'backend' connection between NRMP and NBME?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. I am beginning of 3rd year. So, I'm assuming you've gone through an NRMP match already? And you do not have to upload a USMLE score transcript? Is there any 'backend' connection between NRMP and NBME?

If you are beginning of 3rd then I would take the usmle if you think you’ll pass. I ask because If you were at the end of 3rd and had decided on FM then I wouldn’t bother. You will match and match well with COMLEX only for FM. The problem is if you end up loving something else. You don’t want to regret not taking it if you can pass it.

There is no connection. You have to release your score from NBOME and NBME to get attached to your ERAS account. So if you don’t release it then ERAS has no access to it. Your application will look like the students that only took COMLEX.

Got it--this is great insight. So as a follow up to that, when I am applying to residency, the merger will be completed by then and AOA match/programs won't exist. Will there still be an ERAS application? Do both MD/DO students apply to residency through ERAS? Or do I apply using the NRMP application? Or is NRMP just the "match ranking" service? Sorry I'm not too familiar with the what each application is.

They both use ERAS. It’s a lot more integrated than AACOM/AAMC are. You made one application then could apply to both sets of programs through that one application.

NRMP and AOA matches were the actual matching machine. So you will go to another website and pay for the NRMP ($70 I think). You will give them your ERAS account ID. So then you will be matched through that. When there was the AOA you would do the same thing but go to the AOA website. And if you were doing both then you would go to both websites and pay twice.

Thank you for the clarification, I really really appreciate it.

So question. If I took both USMLE and COMLEX step 1 and 2. If I failed my USMLE step 1 and passed my COMLEX LEVEL 1 and 2 with 600+ can I apply to all the programs I want to with just my COMLEX scores and NOT report my USMLE scores onto my ERAS or send them to programs since they will not even know I took USMLE if I do not report it. Can I do this and is it allowed by law and rules?

Anyone have any idea about the situation of the above post?

If you apply without a Step score, and they find out you took it and didn't report it, you are going to be DOA. Programs can very easily ask you "why didn't you take USMLE?" and you are screwed.

If you apply without a Step score, and they find out you took it and didn't report it, you are going to be DOA. Programs can very easily ask you "why didn't you take USMLE?" and you are screwed.
Why would any program ask that if there were no scores? And how would they find out other than you telling them if the scores were not reported? I am not advocating lying, but everyone is getting hyped about a boogeyman that doesn't exist IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would any program ask that if there were no scores? And how would they find out other than you telling them if the scores were not reported? I am not advocating lying, but everyone is getting hyped about a boogeyman that doesn't exist IMO.

:shrug: I mean what is someone going to say when they are asked, "Why didn't you take USMLE?" This is a super common question.... even in non competitive fields..

:shrug: I mean what is someone going to say when they are asked, "Why didn't you take USMLE?" This is a super common question.... even in non competitive fields..
To a DO who is comlex only? I don't think so. To someone who took step 1 or 2 without the other, sure, but a DO only taking the exams that are required for licensure isn't that uncommon. Almost half of DO's still don't take step.

I don’t know anyone who only took comlex who got asked that.

To a DO who is comlex only? I don't think so. To someone who took step 1 or 2 without the other, sure, but a DO only taking the exams that are required for licensure isn't that uncommon. Almost half of DO's still don't take step.

I don’t know anyone who only took comlex who got asked that.

:shrug: This has been told to me by multiple interns on my rotation that only took COMLEX.