PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Isn't today Massachusetts Mental Health Center's notification date? Has anyone heard from the neuropsychology track?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
After 3 rejections in 5 minutes, I got spam with the subject line, “We’re a Good Match.” I kid you not. Spam.

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: Bay Pines VA
Date Invitation Received: 12/3/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuro
Offered Interview Dates: 1/10, 1/17

Reactions: 5 users
Just heard that friend received invite from UMASS Worcester. Adult track. Interview next Tuesday

Finally received a mass rejection email from Duke
emoji20.png
I knew this was a reach but it’s still a bummer!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Was the Duke mass rejection email for the Duke University Medical Center?

Phoenix VA finally put me out of my misery and sent me a rejection this morning (neuro track). Also got a rejection from Northern California VA for their neuro track. That one was not at all surprising because they get a bazillion applications every year :)

When it’s the end of the semester and your students keep emailing about final exams/papers...I see the email notification and get all anxious for nothing...sigh

Reactions: 6 users
Is anyone else taking advantage of the transportation provided by Mississippi State Hospital? They offered it to and from the hotel, but I still don’t want to be the only one who takes it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not sure yet. If I end up driving, I'll just drive myself to/from the hotel. If I end up flying I'll probably take advantage of the transportation offered.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personal email rejection from Central Washington University Counseling Center. I was pretty confident in my chances at that site but it just wasn't in the cards. I'm still optimistic, though!

Reactions: 1 users
Personal email rejection from Central Washington University Counseling Center. I was pretty confident in my chances at that site but it just wasn't in the cards. I'm still optimistic, though!

It's good to keep up that optimism! We got this! That site didn't appreciate your genius!

Reactions: 2 users
Isn't today Massachusetts Mental Health Center's notification date? Has anyone heard from the neuropsychology track?

Also, while their handbook says Dec 3rd notification, the date of Dec 4 is actually posted on APPIC (which may have never been changed from last year). So technically, they could wait until tomorrow. But I’m hoping and guessing that they won’t. I’m not sure I’ve seen a single person post an invite for their Neuro track yet.

These two are getting me through my waiting for my last site to notify me! And being very helpful sitting and hearing me practice interview questions!
upload_2018-12-3_12-25-20.jpeg

Reactions: 15 users
Official Site Name: Central Washington University Counseling Center
Date Invitation Received: 12/3
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: 12/10-12/18

Dear Santa, I would like my sanity back. K, thanks.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm going back and forth on adding 2 last min non-accredited sites. At my program, students frequently complete non-accredited internships as that's common in my field (school psych). That being said, I have always aimed high for myself and planned to complete an accredited internship. At the same time, I'm just not taking an extra year- I'm more likely to take a school-based internship that's not affiliated at all with APPIC then I am to take an extra year. So perhaps it does make sense to me to apply for these last 2 non accredited ones..I don't know...the whole process is a lot for me.

I'm going back and forth on adding 2 last min non-accredited sites. At my program, students frequently complete non-accredited internships as that's common in my field (school psych). That being said, I have always aimed high for myself and planned to complete an accredited internship. At the same time, I'm just not taking an extra year- I'm more likely to take a school-based internship that's not affiliated at all with APPIC then I am to take an extra year. So perhaps it does make sense to me to apply for these last 2 non accredited ones..I don't know...the whole process is a lot for me.

There’s always Phase 2! Unless you can do what you want for your career with non-accredited.

I think if worst comes to worst you have a good chance at an accredited site in round two.

Personal email rejection from medical college of Wisconsin. I was actually just glad to hear back because their deadline was today! Whew.

Does anyone know if we’ll find out which tracks are interested in us prior to the interview? I have a site where I selected 3 tracks and would love to know which ones were interested.

Finally received rejection from Froedert - Wisconsin College of Medicine. Thought they would never notify! Already counted them out though since invites were several weeks ago so nbd. Onward!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm still waiting to hear from 14 sites but the anxiety is becoming overwhelming at this point and I'm considering non-APA sites (against everything I've told myself for the past four years). Students in my program don't typically complete APA accredited internships, so it wouldn't be a problem in terms of meeting graduation requirements.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm still waiting to hear from 14 sites but the anxiety is becoming overwhelming at this point and I'm considering non-APA sites (against everything I've told myself for the past four years). Students in my program don't typically complete APA accredited internships, so it wouldn't be a problem in terms of meeting graduation requirements.

We seem like we are in similar trajectories. I also have 14 sites left and so far have 2 interviews, 2 rejections. I did apply for 2 non-APA sites already that seemed like particularly strong fit. I feel incredibly anxious and really am struggling to focus on things like clients, dissertation, and the student I supervise.

Got an interesting email from Western Kentucky Internship Consortium (WKPIC). They stated they pushed back their notification date from 12/7 to 12/12. This is the second email I have recieved for "updates". Is this typical?

Official Site Name: Jackson Health System/ University of Miami
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Outpatient Center for Behavioral Medicine
Offered Interview Dates: Call December 12th to schedule interview

Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Outpatient Center for Behavioral Medicine
Offered Interview Dates: Call December 12th to schedule interview

Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Clinical Child
Offered Interview Dates: Call December 14th to schedule intervie

Got a rejection today - but they included this is their e-mail: "With that being said, I will keep your file with us should something change in your status. It was a difficult decision for the Internship Selection Committee, and we appreciate your patience with the review process."

Is this just a cursory statement, or could it be possible that something changes? I'd not seen nor heard of this before.

Reactions: 3 users
Got a rejection today - but they included this is their e-mail: "With that being said, I will keep your file with us should something change in your status. It was a difficult decision for the Internship Selection Committee, and we appreciate your patience with the review process."

Is this just a cursory statement, or could it be possible that something changes? I'd not seen nor heard of this before.

I would personally take it as a rejection, but with the off chance that tons of people decline interviews or cancel, they may offer you to fill the spot. So basically i'd count the site out.

Oh man I’m waiting for this one but my phone has been acting up. I hope i get an invite and my phone actually works :/

They may be reaching out to local applicants first since the first interview is next week? But That’s just my mind making things up. Trying to stay positive

They may be reaching out to local applicants first since the first interview is next week? But That’s just my mind making things up. Trying to stay positive

I was thinking the same thing. I looked up the cost of a flight if I have to buy a ticket short notice there for next week and the price tag would be pretty rough. Holding on hope.

I would love to grab the December interview date if i get an interview offer! I have conflicts on all other dates. But it’s looking more and more like I’m not getting this interview :/

Official Site Name: McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult
Offered Interview Dates: 12/17 and 12/18

Reactions: 8 users
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Clinical Child
Offered Interview Dates: Call December 14th to schedule intervie

Same for neuro track! And asking to call on December 13th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
I only have 2 interviews ... really worrying about the chance to get matched ... any advice?

If I were in your positions, and there were still sites left that I thought were legitimately good fits, I might go for it if you have the opportunity still. Especially considering the fact that you are in a unique position where you don't absolutely have to do an APA-accredited internship. I know for my particular program we aren't allowed to apply to non-APA accredited sites without approval (and a good reason). But another thing to keep in mind like others have said is that (1) there is phase 2, where the metrics for selection seem to be MUCH different than phase 1 because sites can't be quite as particular, and (2) there is the post-vacancy match, which actually last year had a lot of sites still (most of which were university counseling centers or forensic sites), but a lot of them were non-APA accredited so they weren't viable options for people who were unable to take that route, however, it sounds like that could be an option for you and your particular facet of psychology.

Has anyone gotten notifications from the following:

CHOP (Clinical Child Psychology track)
McLean (Adolescent Psychopathology track)

Thanks!

Guys, if you are waiting on 14 sites... that means you might get 14 interviews. And then what will you do? Don't panic apply to places you wouldn't be thrilled to go.

Take a break from the anxiety and watch the live feed of the new astronauts from Canada, Russia and the US arrive at the International Space Station. It helps put things into perspective a bit. I feel better.

Reactions: 13 users
Official Site Name: Santa Barbara Internship Consortium
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: January 7

This is a non-accredited site but also it's in a highly desirable location for me! So i'm gonna count this as a win, and at least it's not a rejection!!

Reactions: 11 users
Has anyone gotten notifications from the following:

CHOP (Clinical Child Psychology track)
McLean (Adolescent Psychopathology track)

Thanks!

Official Site Name: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Date Invitation Received: 12/3/2018
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Clinical Child Psychology track
Offered Interview Dates: 1/4, 1/11, 1/18
If & How you're staying sane: Lunch with friends

Crossing my fingers for all of you!

Anyone heard from NC State, UNC-Charlotte or Montana State university counseling centers? It looks like last year they reached out at the end of November, but haven't seen anything from any of them yet.

Anyone heard from NC State, UNC-Charlotte or Montana State university counseling centers? It looks like last year they reached out at the end of November, but haven't seen anything from any of them yet.
I'm still waiting to hear back from NC State counseling center too. I've not heard a peep