APPIC Internship Phase II 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview invite for Alvarado Parkway Institute (API) within the California Psychology Internship Consortium (CPIC)

Members don't see this ad.

The one year my site was in phase ii I was taken completely off guard and pretty much going through applications and interviewing up until the very end.
do you have any general advice for how to act in interviews?

I have an interview with Alexandria VA. Eeek!
a little nervous because I did not do a VA interview first round.

i don’t know why I’m making a big deal out of this-a site is a site. But still! It seems so out of my league.
I’m in the same boat! I am having mini panic attacks about what they’ll ask

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
do you have any general advice for how to act in interviews?

Calm.

Review the site webpages and information beforehand.

Be authentic in your responses and know answers to the basic questions (strengths/growth, clinical case example, supervision).

Be prepared to be asked something about why you think you’re in phase ii (at least based on what precious threads have shared).

It’s okay to take time in your answer or to reference notes.

Reactions: 2 users
Calm.

Review the site webpages and information beforehand.

Be authentic in your responses and know answers to the basic questions (strengths/growth, clinical case example, supervision).

Be prepared to be asked something about why you think you’re in phase ii (at least based on what precious threads have shared).

It’s okay to take time in your answer or to reference notes.
This is really helpful, thank you! Despite my best efforts to stay calm I was pretty nervous in Phase 1; I’m going to try to loosen up.

I saw on the previous years forums the BOP like doing Post Match Vacancy and not phase II because it takes so long to do the USA jobs verification thing.
So there will still be sites available in PMV! APA accredited!

I saw on the previous years forums the BOP like doing Post Match Vacancy and not phase II because it takes so long to do the USA jobs verification thing.
So there will still be sites available in PMV! APA accredited!
Specifically regarding the BOP - that may be true, but not necessarily! Two BOPs are currently in Phase II (one APA accredited and the other is not due to it's infancy). You may be able to assume that all other BOPs filled all spots in Phase I.

Has anyone heard from the Mary Rackham Institute or Charleston Consortium?

This is really helpful, thank you! Despite my best efforts to stay calm I was pretty nervous in Phase 1; I’m going to try to loosen up.
I prepared for sites to ask me why I’m in phase II but an interview yesterday asked me how I coped with ending up in phase II. An interesting way to check in about self care.

Interview with Georgia Regional Hospital, and they set a time for me!
I emailed them back saying I couldn’t make this specific time.

has anyone else had an email where they already picked a time for you?

Interview with Georgia Regional Hospital, and they set a time for me!
I emailed them back saying I couldn’t make this specific time.

has anyone else had an email where they already picked a time for you?

Yes I have and it happened to work (generally) with my schedule! But if doesn't work for you I think its totally understandable to say so!

Still no for me! Think it’s gonna be like someone from last year said, hearing from sites up until about the 14th
I haven't heard from these two either, I'm surprised at how many sites I applied to that no one has heard back from... still hoping for one or two more interviews-

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
radio silence from 5 programs!!

Maine VA-Neuro
Philly VA-Neuro
Univ Washington School of Med- Neuro
Miami VA-Gero
University of Texas Health at San Antonio-Integrated Primary Care

Maine VA-Neuro
Philly VA-Neuro
Miami VA-Gero
I did hear from UT San Antonio last week. Just FYI- not sure if that's going to make you feel better or worse!

Maine VA-Neuro
Philly VA-Neuro
Miami VA-Gero
I haven’t heard anything from the Maine or Philly VAs either!

Interview invite from University of Northern Colorado Counseling Center

Rejections from MetroHealth and George Fox

Interview invitation from Wright State University/Dayton Children's Hospital. They're still coming!

Interview offer from Larned State Hospital and Saint Elizabeths Hospital (3/3 and 3/4).

If anyone interviewed at FCC Allenwood in person sees this and would mind giving me some details on that experience, please message me!

Thank you to everyone else that has been super helpful with information related to other sites too. With all the phone interviews it is hard to tell the vibe of some of these places, so any extra information helps!

Interview offer from Larned State Hospital and Saint Elizabeths Hospital (3/3 and 3/4).

If anyone interviewed at FCC Allenwood in person sees this and would mind giving me some details on that experience, please message me!

Thank you to everyone else that has been super helpful with information related to other sites too. With all the phone interviews it is hard to tell the vibe of some of these places, so any extra information helps!
I wanna know what people thought of Larned if anyone has been there in person!

Rejection from: Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
San Jose State University

Congrats on your interviews! I interviewed at Saint Elizabeths Hospital in Phase I and ended up ranking it last out of 11 sites because the interns seemed miserable, were severely overworked, and seriously underpaid. If you or anyone else would like more information regarding my experience at this site, feel free to DM me. I also interviewed for the CeDAR track at University of Colorado if anyone wants information about that. Happy to help!

invites for Centerstone and Monterey County!

I have two friends who interviewed at St. Elizabeth's and did not rank the site at all for some of the reasons another poster mentioned. The pay for the area is atrocious, the interns seemed miserable, and just the general vibe they got was not good. I have another friend who matched at Allenwood and two others who interviewed there and loved it! I also know one of the staff psychologists there that you might interview with and he is AMAZING! I think the only complaint I heard was the weather but we are all in a grad program in South Florida so we are a bit dramatic when it comes to temperatures below 65! I think if you are forensic or interested in correctional work you can't go wrong with a BOP! Good luck!!!!

Has anyone heard from the VA Medical Center, DC or the Spokane VA?

Has anyone heard from the VA Medical Center, DC or the Spokane VA?
I’ve heard from Spokane VA! Skype interview, heard from them yesterday

Last edited:
Interview invitation from Wright State University/Dayton Children's Hospital. They're still coming!

Yay me too! Did they tell you which track you are interviewing for? I applied to two tracks but couldn't tell from the phone call if I am interviewing for all tracks or just one of them.

Yay me too! Did they tell you which track you are interviewing for? I applied to two tracks but couldn't tell from the phone call if I am interviewing for all tracks or just one of them.
I only applied to the Children's Medical Center (Dayton Children's) Track, so it was clear. But the person who called me was the external rotation supervisor- so someone from Dayton Children's Hospital, not the Ellis Institute which is the internal rotation. If you know where the interviewer works that might help you figure out which tracks you are being considered for...

I only applied to the Children's Medical Center (Dayton Children's) Track, so it was clear. But the person who called me was the external rotation supervisor- so someone from Dayton Children's Hospital, not the Ellis Institute which is the internal rotation. If you know where the interviewer works that might help you figure out which tracks you are being considered for...

Ah okay that makes sense! Thank you!

I got an email from the site supervisor for Dayton children’s, but no call. That’s the only track I applied for there so that makes sense. Scheduled a phone call with her.

Rejection from the Maine VA (neuro)

Anyone heard from: (interview or rejection)?
-Washington DC VA
-Miami Va
-Madison VA
-Palo Alto VA
-University of Texas at Austin

-Washington DC VA
-Miami Va
-Madison VA
-Palo Alto VA
Still waiting on the Washington DC VA...

Still waiting on the Washington DC VA...
Its been like total radio silence from these sites...I have a few sites that have sent rejections and interviews and I also haven't heard but can't tell if that's a good sign or a bad one...this process is a mind trip

Its been like total radio silence from these sites...I have a few sites that have sent rejections and interviews and I also haven't heard but can't tell if that's a good sign or a bad one...this process is a mind trip
I hear you! I am hoping that the rest of this process goes by quickly for us all!

I haven’t heard a single thing. No invites or rejections. I feel like I’m going a little nuts. :(

• Sad
I haven’t heard a single thing. No invites or rejections. I feel like I’m going a little nuts. :(
I'm sorry I can imagine the anxiety you must feel, hang in there!

-Washington DC VA
-Miami Va
-Madison VA
-Palo Alto VA

I'm still waiting to hear from 9 sites, including UT @ Austin. The others are mostly hospitals.

I'm still waiting to hear from 9 sites, including UT @ Austin. The others are mostly hospitals.
I'm also waiting on 9...I think the limited amount of time to schedule interviews makes it more anxiety provoking!

Rejection from Maine VA- Neuro

Invitation phone interview from Univ. Of Washington school of medicine-Neuro