Apply to both GPR/OMFS in the same cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gatordent19

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys!
I'm a current 3DN, and I waited a bit too long to make up my mind about residencies. I always figured I'd fall back on an AEGD/GPR and just do general if I didn't decide on something. Recently I've been getting drawn in to OMFS and am seriously considering applying for a 4 year program... but I have already scheduled externships/rotations at a few AEGD/GPR programs. I feel like it would be super unprofessional to call them up and tell them I changed my mind... Is it a bad idea to apply to both GPR and OMFS programs in the same cycle?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/suggestions!!
 
It's all possible just difficult to coordinate. You have to arrange all those recommendation letters. And applying to OS is a chore. You have to check a lot of boxes. There are tons of threads about it. IMO a gpr is a waste of time if you want to do general dentistry. You are better off diving into private practice. An internship is a good way to build your application and gives you a good chance of knowing if it's for you. Mind you, the application process would begin before you internship starts. So it'll be a lot of work all at once.

Go do externships too!