Applying Internationally - Caribbean Vs. Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc1993

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
STATS:

Age 24

First four years: biological science, did not complete, switched into engineering in fifth year, starting year 2 of engineer in September

Cumulative GPA: 3.0, in most recent years 3.8 GPA however not a 5 course workload

ECs: volunteering in many university clubs, elementary school in my neighborhood, optometry clinic, started my own successful business

I've worked full time at a chiropractic clinic during school years, had 4 summer internships with an Engineering firm

I realize I have no chances of getting into a Canadian or US medical school. I'm wondering if going to a Caribbean school or Ireland through Atlantic Bridge would be better.

Which school will allow me a higher chance of coming back to Canada, and if both chances are equally as low then which school will allow me to practice in the States at least?

I wanted to originally specialize in dermatology but I realize that is highly unlikely, however which one will give me a higher chance of specializing in something other than family medicine here in North America.

I desperately want to start my medical school career, circumstances in my life have prevented me from excelling while trying to complete my first degree, however after switching to engineering and the changes I've made in my life, my grades have drastically improved.

Finally, if both of these options are poor, do you recommend that I follow through with option C: complete my engineering degree - 3 years left - and try to aim for a higher GPA, in engineering that is likely around a 3.4 (most people fail and all exams get curved due to the intensity). Write my MCATs and attempt to apply to Canadian or US medical school? (am I even competitive if I do that though or will I be wasting my time).

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you thought about Optometry or Chiropractic school? You know what they are so maybe think about those two. And you maybe wouldn't have to settle for practicing in the States(at least)!

Whatever you do don't go to the Caribbean.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Have you thought about Optometry or Chiropractic school? You know what they are so maybe think about those two. And you maybe wouldn't have to settle for practicing in the States(at least)!

Whatever you do don't go to the Caribbean.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks so much for your response. Do you know what Optometry schools I could be considered for or whether they're in the US or Canada?

Do my uppear year engineering courses count as upper level science courses? Can i just finish my engineering degree as a way to salvage my GPA/grade replacement while retaking any C/Ds in Spring and Fall Semester?

What if Engineering has its own set of first year chem, physics, maths that are equivalent to the ones in a biology degree?
Check with AMCAS and AACOMAS.

I suggest retaking Ds
Retake Cs only if you don'
t know the material. This is about preparing for MCAT now, as much as salvaging your GPA

From your post it sounds like you're a Canadian citizen, but correct me if that's not the case.

Ireland --> Canada is a better option than the Caribbean, but it will always be harder to come back as an IMG. You said that you don't want family, so you're in a tight spot. No one can promise you what you'll be able to match to in 5-6 years as an IMG, but it will most likely be one of the less competitive specialties. Extremely unlikely that you'd ever be able to make derm work, but keep in mind that you can do a +1 in something else after family so doing a residency in family medicine doesn't mean that you have to work in a family clinic.

Beggars can't be choosers though, and if you're Canadian with a 3.4 GPA you're not becoming any kind of MD in North America. So you have to decide if you'd rather become a doctor in a possibly non-ideal specialty, or not become one at all.

Reactions: 1 user