This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

32teeths

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a D3 and starting to look into externships for OMFS. I've read countless threads and done my own research and on 4 vs 6 year programs and I've decided that given my currently family situation, age, and where and how I plan to practice, a 4 year program is the route I want to take.

My dental school offers only a 6 year degree and the faculty definitely lets us know that this is the best route. I understand that but it's just not the best for me. I know that the obvious answer here is to only apply to 4 year schools, but I know that OMFS is what I want to do with my life, so if given no other options, I would suck it up and go the extra two years.

Besides applying to only 4 year programs and doing externships at 4 year programs, can anyone offer me some insight on this? Anyone been in this situation? How did you handle it?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a D3 and starting to look into externships for OMFS. I've read countless threads and done my own research and on 4 vs 6 year programs and I've decided that given my currently family situation, age, and where and how I plan to practice, a 4 year program is the route I want to take.

My dental school offers only a 6 year degree and the faculty definitely lets us know that this is the best route. I understand that but it's just not the best for me. I know that the obvious answer here is to only apply to 4 year schools, but I know that OMFS is what I want to do with my life, so if given no other options, I would suck it up and go the extra two years.

Besides applying to only 4 year programs and doing externships at 4 year programs, can anyone offer me some insight on this? Anyone been in this situation? How did you handle it?

Thanks

There are a lot of people who exclusively apply to 4 year programs. You'll be fine with your plan for externships and apply broadly. Do well on the CBSE. The usual.

Reactions: 1 user
There are lots of good 4 year programs. You have to do what is good for you. You will just not be going to your home school's program. If that is not a problem for you, then there is nothing to worry about.