-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Are you bringing your SO along?
Started by WishingnHoping
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
So, just curious! Is your significant other tagging along?
He says he is, but we still have a year to go (deferred admission to NC, so entering next fall instead) so who knows! 😛
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yep. He's moving to CA with me. Fortunately, his company wants to keep him so he's going to be telecommuting cross-country for his current job. Also, of all the options CA is the warmest, and we were both pretty worried about ending up in a cold climate (he doesn't tolerate it very well for medical reasons). So I think, of all the possible situations, we're heading in to a pretty good one.
Of course, vet school is still a ton of work, so we'll see how we weather the struggle of balancing our time.
Of course, vet school is still a ton of work, so we'll see how we weather the struggle of balancing our time.
Most likely not, unless I get accepted to Tufts. He just started his PhD at Boston U. We started the long-distance thing a year ago now, and I have to say we've thankfully seen each other a lot! 😍I don't know how often it will be when I get into school, though. Cross that bridge when I get to it!
Yes, fortunately my fiance has a job that allows him to transfer easily...even to remote places like Pullman, WA. I am so excited because we have been apart since November of last year and I am ready to have him back!!!
I'm unsure. My SO was going to move with me - but as we're not enganged or married or anything it's kind of a big responsibility to drag someone from NY to IA in case anything does go wrong. So we are still considering it and will decide sometime in the future.
Mine lives 3.5 hours away for now. He'll be moving here next year, so I chose sort of, too.
Yes, my boyfriend will be starting his PhD in Bioengineering at Penn.
My husband was 3.5 hours away for the entire first semester and half of this semester. Since he has been with me full time, my stress level has decreased about 1000%.
Of course, that could be because we have kids, and vet school does not lend itself well to single parenthood. Just having another person here to share the parenting has made soooo much difference. If we were childless, I am not sure it would make such an impact.
But I am definitely enjoying myself more and even have time to read novels now!
Of course, that could be because we have kids, and vet school does not lend itself well to single parenthood. Just having another person here to share the parenting has made soooo much difference. If we were childless, I am not sure it would make such an impact.
But I am definitely enjoying myself more and even have time to read novels now!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
*makes mental note*
Dartfrog is a boy...
*end mental note*
Seriously, I think everyone is a girl at first. And I'm usually right! Any boys besides david, labman, projekt, and bobdog - I probably think you're a girl. No offense.
I have no idea what my husband and I will be doing when I get in. (Haha I said WHEN. gotta love that.)
Dartfrog is a boy...
*end mental note*
Seriously, I think everyone is a girl at first. And I'm usually right! Any boys besides david, labman, projekt, and bobdog - I probably think you're a girl. No offense.
I have no idea what my husband and I will be doing when I get in. (Haha I said WHEN. gotta love that.)
This is very cool to see everyone and what they are doing. 🙂
BTW, twelvetigers, I'm pretty sure Hoodle is a boy and so is Cyrille.
BTW, twelvetigers, I'm pretty sure Hoodle is a boy and so is Cyrille.
BTW, twelvetigers, I'm pretty sure Hoodle is a boy and so is Cyrille.
hoodle isn't, cyrille is. 😉
My SO will be going with me to Philly. Man, no matter where I go, he just keeps following me!
Just Kidding 😉 , I am sure I will lean on him ALOT during vet school so I am glad he'll be there.
Just Kidding 😉 , I am sure I will lean on him ALOT during vet school so I am glad he'll be there.
I knew hoodle was a chicka. Whos cyrille?
Like projekt and rustysmom, my SO is staying put but it's only 1.5 hours away so I'll be home for weekends 🙂
You could say my boyfriend is bringing me along to engineering school, because I'll be joining him down in southern California this fall 😛 (So I didn't vote, since there wasn't an option for that)
OMG so sorry Hoodle!!!! 😱 Okay, I should have kept my trap shut then. I guess I think more people are boys than I should. I swear I thought somewhere somehow somebody said he. I am really sorry! Erm, so now I want to crawl into a cave ...
Cyrille is a UPenn student who posts on here but lately I think he's been MIA? I dunno. But I KNOW he's a boy for sure. 😀
Cyrille is a UPenn student who posts on here but lately I think he's been MIA? I dunno. But I KNOW he's a boy for sure. 😀
Oh, alright. Haha.
If only everyone had names like sheltergirl... not much to wonder about there. 🙂
If only everyone had names like sheltergirl... not much to wonder about there. 🙂
My SO and I only started dating a month ago. And, even though it will have been five months by the time I move, that's not enough time together to be planning a whole move.
Besides, he's finishing his Masters at ASU anyway. Which means, we may renegotiate if we manage to survive the six months to a year it will take him to finish. 😛
Besides, he's finishing his Masters at ASU anyway. Which means, we may renegotiate if we manage to survive the six months to a year it will take him to finish. 😛
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My fiance/husband will be attending vet school with me 😀
We're getting engaged and buying a house. Vet school has actually brought us closer together! His support during the application process has only increased since I've been accepted. Couldn't ask for more. 😍
Well, I didnt vote and unfortunately you all know I didnt get into vetschool this term but Im super proud of my DH so I wanted to give him some kudosand this seems a good place to do it. He's agreed to move, and leave a great job, all so I can apply IS and (hopefully) increase my odds at an acceptance. Here's to you babe!😍
I hear medical (and vet of course) school programs make or break relationships. Honestly, I wonder if he secretly just wants this whole process to be over one way or another. You know its not just us who go through the ups and downs but our SO's feel our pain as well. But he would never tell me to give up my dreams. Which is good, cuz if he ever did I have to tell him to go jump in a lake. (Just kidding Hun).
I hear medical (and vet of course) school programs make or break relationships. Honestly, I wonder if he secretly just wants this whole process to be over one way or another. You know its not just us who go through the ups and downs but our SO's feel our pain as well. But he would never tell me to give up my dreams. Which is good, cuz if he ever did I have to tell him to go jump in a lake. (Just kidding Hun).
I've been seeing a guy for about a year now but since I'm going back home, halfway across the country for vet school, we're going to be ending things when I move (most likely 🙁) in a couple weeks. I don't think either of us is ready for a long distance relationship like that unfortunately since he'll be going to school on the east coast 🙁... This is the "un-fun" part of starting the next chapter in my life. We'll see how it goes.
It's kinda funny. Veterinarian school will seemingly bring my SO and me closer together than we are now (He working in Hawaii, home in texas, and me living and going to school in California.)
I have a bit of time before I start applying, and he's still got some classes to take to finish off his teaching degree. We've both realized and agreed that school is probably what's going to make us move closer together. He's been completely willing to move to wherever I get accepted too, and supportive of the whole vet. school thing.
So yes, he's coming along for the ride!
I have a bit of time before I start applying, and he's still got some classes to take to finish off his teaching degree. We've both realized and agreed that school is probably what's going to make us move closer together. He's been completely willing to move to wherever I get accepted too, and supportive of the whole vet. school thing.
So yes, he's coming along for the ride!
I'm single, so it's nice to get to be completely selfish in my choice - picking where would fit ME best.
But then again, facing the prospects of going to school with pretty much all girls forever with no time to meet a nice guy is sort of daunting, jealous of all of you who have a great SO who can be supportive!
But then again, facing the prospects of going to school with pretty much all girls forever with no time to meet a nice guy is sort of daunting, jealous of all of you who have a great SO who can be supportive!
I'm single, so it's nice to get to be completely selfish in my choice - picking where would fit ME best.
But then again, facing the prospects of going to school with pretty much all girls forever with no time to meet a nice guy is sort of daunting, jealous of all of you who have a great SO who can be supportive!
I'm in the same boat. And I've heard that this year's CSU class is...85% women!
Well, I guess it's too early to worry.... Bob, the crazy palm reader in Venice Beach said my ideal marriage age is 34.

I've been seeing a guy for about a year now but since I'm going back home, halfway across the country for vet school, we're going to be ending things when I move (most likely 🙁) in a couple weeks. I don't think either of us is ready for a long distance relationship like that unfortunately since he'll be going to school on the east coast 🙁... This is the "un-fun" part of starting the next chapter in my life. We'll see how it goes.
I'm in the same boat as you... my now ex-girlfriend and I broke up over vet school : (
Oh well life must go on : )
*makes mental note*
Dartfrog is a boy...
*end mental note*
Seriously, I think everyone is a girl at first. And I'm usually right! Any boys besides david, labman, projekt, and bobdog - I probably think you're a girl. No offense.
No offense taken. At 32 though, I am a little old to be a boy 🙂
My SO and I broke up because he doesn't want to uproot everything to move, so singles take heart, you won't be the only one there on your own.
And luckily for us at big universities, there is usually an engineering school nearby, whose boy-girl ratio is usually the opposite of ours
And luckily for us at big universities, there is usually an engineering school nearby, whose boy-girl ratio is usually the opposite of ours

Oh man, now you've got me thinking about engineering boys. Haha.My SO and I broke up because he doesn't want to uproot everything to move, so singles take heart, you won't be the only one there on your own.
And luckily for us at big universities, there is usually an engineering school nearby, whose boy-girl ratio is usually the opposite of ours![]()
Oh man, now you've got me thinking about engineering boys. Haha.
And that video about cats by the engineer didn't already have you thinking about them? 😉
Oh man, now you've got me thinking about engineering boys. Haha.
Engineering undergrads for the most part act like they're in high school all over again. I majored in CS at my first university which was in the college of Engineering and at my second university my roommate was an engineer and I have to say that the impression I had of the engineering students was the same at both schools. They all acted like goobers over the 4 or 5 girls in their classes while mostly looking down their noses at people in other majors. Either that or they just spent 99% of their time studying.
The grad students were all absolute nerds. But on the bright side, if they aren't dumb, they sure will make a lot of money some day. 😉
Like I said, my boyfriend is an engineer...but I lucked out (or chose well) because he is no more of a nerd than I am, very attractive, and a nice guy. And no, I will not share. 😛
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a CS degree, a boyfriend in a CS PhD program, an anime avatar and have logged 23 hours on Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES since it came out on Wednesday (with working every day too!). Honestly I don't think I have a leg to stand on with calling people nerds. It was pretty tongue in cheek. 😉
Just gotta be sure people are in touch with their inner (or not so inner) nerd. 🙂
BTW, totally off the main topic of the thread...this is my boyfriend's favorite song at the moment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw
It makes him laugh so hard.
BTW, totally off the main topic of the thread...this is my boyfriend's favorite song at the moment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw
It makes him laugh so hard.
and i, for one, wear the nerd label proudly.
As do I!
I'm starting to notice a trend among pre-vet/vet students, but I think we're proud of being different. Maybe we should do some kind of study..."94.7%" of pre-vet/vet students were found to be nerds as defined by normal society." 😉
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6K
- Views
- 161K