Is your SO coming to vet school with you?

• Yes! We will be together during vet school.

Votes: 41 36.3%
  • No, we will be apart BUT still together.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Sort of? I thought I should have an in between option. ;)

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • Ummm ... I don't have a SO (or we broke up over vet school!)

Votes: 27 23.9%

• Total voters

Truth74

DVM
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2003
Champaign Illinois
Status
Veterinarian
I have 4 SO's (three of them dependents), so there's no choice. They're gonna be with me.

VAgirl

UC Davis SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Davis, CA
Status
Veterinary Student
Yep. He's moving to CA with me. Fortunately, his company wants to keep him so he's going to be telecommuting cross-country for his current job. Also, of all the options CA is the warmest, and we were both pretty worried about ending up in a cold climate (he doesn't tolerate it very well for medical reasons). So I think, of all the possible situations, we're heading in to a pretty good one.

Of course, vet school is still a ton of work, so we'll see how we weather the struggle of balancing our time.

BobDog

Penn Vet c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Status
Veterinary Student
My wife and the 1.5 year old will be coming along for the ride :D.

NoleDevil

Iowa State CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2008
Iowa
Status
Veterinary Student
Most likely not, unless I get accepted to Tufts. He just started his PhD at Boston U. We started the long-distance thing a year ago now, and I have to say we've thankfully seen each other a lot! :love:I don't know how often it will be when I get into school, though. Cross that bridge when I get to it!

kekemapa04

WSU CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2007
Washington
Status
Veterinary Student
Yes, fortunately my fiance has a job that allows him to transfer easily...even to remote places like Pullman, WA. I am so excited because we have been apart since November of last year and I am ready to have him back!!!

whitefang2012

Iowa State CVM '12
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2008
CT, NY, FL
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I'm unsure. My SO was going to move with me - but as we're not enganged or married or anything it's kind of a big responsibility to drag someone from NY to IA in case anything does go wrong. So we are still considering it and will decide sometime in the future.

projekt

UGA c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2008
Georgia, US
Status
Veterinary Student
she lives only 1.5 hrs away, so it's not a big deal. I chose "sort of".

rustysmom

Mich State CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan
Status
Veterinarian
I will see my hubby on the weekends - school is 1.5-2 hours away... so I chose "sort of" :)

critterfixer

Veterinarian
10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2007
Tennessee
Status
Veterinarian
My husband was 3.5 hours away for the entire first semester and half of this semester. Since he has been with me full time, my stress level has decreased about 1000%.

Of course, that could be because we have kids, and vet school does not lend itself well to single parenthood. Just having another person here to share the parenting has made soooo much difference. If we were childless, I am not sure it would make such an impact.

But I am definitely enjoying myself more and even have time to read novels now!

dartfrog

U. Minnesota C/O 2012!
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2008
Status
Bringing my wife, 4 month old son, 4 cats, and a dog half way across the country. . . . . .what a move!:D

hoodle

UC-Davis DVM/PhD
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2006
Davis
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Yup! she's starting graduate school, i'm starting vet school! and then grad school. it worked out really well for us.

twelvetigers

stabby cat
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
TTown
Status
Veterinarian
*makes mental note*
Dartfrog is a boy...
*end mental note*
Seriously, I think everyone is a girl at first. And I'm usually right! Any boys besides david, labman, projekt, and bobdog - I probably think you're a girl. No offense.

I have no idea what my husband and I will be doing when I get in. (Haha I said WHEN. gotta love that.)

rtc86

Western CVM 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2008
Status
Pre-Veterinary
no, my SO just got accepted into grad school in davis and i got into western so long distance it is. altho it's only 1.5 hrs away by flight and his program is only 2 yrs...

OP
W

WishingnHoping

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
Status
Veterinary Student
This is very cool to see everyone and what they are doing. :)

BTW, twelvetigers, I'm pretty sure Hoodle is a boy and so is Cyrille.

TractorKid

UPenn Vet 2012
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2008
Status
Veterinary Student
My SO will be going with me to Philly. Man, no matter where I go, he just keeps following me!

Just Kidding ;) , I am sure I will lean on him ALOT during vet school so I am glad he'll be there.

ShelterGirl

UC Davis SVM 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Status
Veterinarian
Like projekt and rustysmom, my SO is staying put but it's only 1.5 hours away so I'll be home for weekends :)

athenaparthenos

Western U C/o 2012!
10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2008
Pomona, CA
willamette.facebook.com
Status
Veterinary Student
You could say my boyfriend is bringing me along to engineering school, because I'll be joining him down in southern California this fall :p (So I didn't vote, since there wasn't an option for that)

OP
W

WishingnHoping

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
Status
Veterinary Student
OMG so sorry Hoodle!!!! :eek: Okay, I should have kept my trap shut then. I guess I think more people are boys than I should. I swear I thought somewhere somehow somebody said he. I am really sorry! Erm, so now I want to crawl into a cave ...

Cyrille is a UPenn student who posts on here but lately I think he's been MIA? I dunno. But I KNOW he's a boy for sure. :D

WoodchuckLuv

UC Davis SVM 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2008
Status
Veterinary Student
My SO and I only started dating a month ago. And, even though it will have been five months by the time I move, that's not enough time together to be planning a whole move.

Besides, he's finishing his Masters at ASU anyway. Which means, we may renegotiate if we manage to survive the six months to a year it will take him to finish. :p

VetMed555

VMRCVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2007
Bburg
Status
Veterinary Student
Ha-Ha good question...My husband will be 5 hours away, so it's a semi-long distance relationship: not far enough to be considered fully LDR, not close enough to be a "normal" relationship. More time to study for me.

hoodle

UC-Davis DVM/PhD
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2006
Davis
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Just reaffirming that in fact I am a girl, and WishingnHoping, don't worry, don't crawl into a cave!

EnviroVet

VMRCVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Maryland
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Yes, my soon-to-be fiancee will be coming with me.

I couldn't imagine doing this without him! He definitely helps in keeping me sane during stressful times.

clawsbeatskin

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2007
Status
Veterinary Student
We're getting engaged and buying a house. Vet school has actually brought us closer together! His support during the application process has only increased since I've been accepted. Couldn't ask for more. :love:

LVT2DVM

UGA-CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2008
Athens, GA
lvt2dvm.blogspot.com
Status
Veterinary Student
Well, I didnt vote and unfortunately you all know I didnt get into vetschool this term but Im super proud of my DH so I wanted to give him some kudosand this seems a good place to do it. He's agreed to move, and leave a great job, all so I can apply IS and (hopefully) increase my odds at an acceptance. Here's to you babe!:love:

I hear medical (and vet of course) school programs make or break relationships. Honestly, I wonder if he secretly just wants this whole process to be over one way or another. You know its not just us who go through the ups and downs but our SO's feel our pain as well. But he would never tell me to give up my dreams. Which is good, cuz if he ever did I have to tell him to go jump in a lake. (Just kidding Hun).

shuvball1

TAMU CVM C/O 2012
10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I've been seeing a guy for about a year now but since I'm going back home, halfway across the country for vet school, we're going to be ending things when I move (most likely :() in a couple weeks. I don't think either of us is ready for a long distance relationship like that unfortunately since he'll be going to school on the east coast :(... This is the "un-fun" part of starting the next chapter in my life. We'll see how it goes.

SpartanScience

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2007
Status
Veterinary Student
It's kinda funny. Veterinarian school will seemingly bring my SO and me closer together than we are now (He working in Hawaii, home in texas, and me living and going to school in California.)

I have a bit of time before I start applying, and he's still got some classes to take to finish off his teaching degree. We've both realized and agreed that school is probably what's going to make us move closer together. He's been completely willing to move to wherever I get accepted too, and supportive of the whole vet. school thing.

So yes, he's coming along for the ride!

SillyFilly

Tennessee CVM 2012!
10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2008
NC, USA
Status
Veterinary Student
I'm single, so it's nice to get to be completely selfish in my choice - picking where would fit ME best.

But then again, facing the prospects of going to school with pretty much all girls forever with no time to meet a nice guy is sort of daunting, jealous of all of you who have a great SO who can be supportive!

TCVM808

CSU PVM C/O 2012
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2007
Colorado, USA
Status
Veterinary Student
I'm single, so it's nice to get to be completely selfish in my choice - picking where would fit ME best.

But then again, facing the prospects of going to school with pretty much all girls forever with no time to meet a nice guy is sort of daunting, jealous of all of you who have a great SO who can be supportive!
I'm in the same boat. And I've heard that this year's CSU class is...85% women!
Well, I guess it's too early to worry.... Bob, the crazy palm reader in Venice Beach said my ideal marriage age is 34. :laugh:

elkbrucellaguy

CSU Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
Status
Veterinary Student
I've been seeing a guy for about a year now but since I'm going back home, halfway across the country for vet school, we're going to be ending things when I move (most likely :() in a couple weeks. I don't think either of us is ready for a long distance relationship like that unfortunately since he'll be going to school on the east coast :(... This is the "un-fun" part of starting the next chapter in my life. We'll see how it goes.
I'm in the same boat as you... my now ex-girlfriend and I broke up over vet school : (

Oh well life must go on : )

dartfrog

U. Minnesota C/O 2012!
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2008
Status
*makes mental note*
Dartfrog is a boy...
*end mental note*
Seriously, I think everyone is a girl at first. And I'm usually right! Any boys besides david, labman, projekt, and bobdog - I probably think you're a girl. No offense.
No offense taken. At 32 though, I am a little old to be a boy :)

fargeese

VMRCVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2006
Status
Veterinary Student
My SO and I broke up because he doesn't want to uproot everything to move, so singles take heart, you won't be the only one there on your own.

And luckily for us at big universities, there is usually an engineering school nearby, whose boy-girl ratio is usually the opposite of ours :laugh:

Steelmagghia

TAMU CVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2008
Texas
Status
Pre-Veterinary
My SO and I broke up because he doesn't want to uproot everything to move, so singles take heart, you won't be the only one there on your own.

And luckily for us at big universities, there is usually an engineering school nearby, whose boy-girl ratio is usually the opposite of ours :laugh:
Oh man, now you've got me thinking about engineering boys. Haha.

nyanko

total trash mammal
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
CoMo
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Oh man, now you've got me thinking about engineering boys. Haha.
Engineering undergrads for the most part act like they're in high school all over again. I majored in CS at my first university which was in the college of Engineering and at my second university my roommate was an engineer and I have to say that the impression I had of the engineering students was the same at both schools. They all acted like goobers over the 4 or 5 girls in their classes while mostly looking down their noses at people in other majors. Either that or they just spent 99% of their time studying.

The grad students were all absolute nerds. But on the bright side, if they aren't dumb, they sure will make a lot of money some day. ;)

CanadianGolden

10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Like I said, my boyfriend is an engineer...but I lucked out (or chose well) because he is no more of a nerd than I am, very attractive, and a nice guy. And no, I will not share. :p

VAgirl

UC Davis SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Davis, CA
Status
Veterinary Student
I, personally, love nerds. :) My guy certainly is one, and I wouldn't trade him in for anything. I'm probably one, too, though. But I still think nerds are great! :p

nyanko

total trash mammal
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
CoMo
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have a CS degree, a boyfriend in a CS PhD program, an anime avatar and have logged 23 hours on Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES since it came out on Wednesday (with working every day too!). Honestly I don't think I have a leg to stand on with calling people nerds. It was pretty tongue in cheek. ;)

hoodle

UC-Davis DVM/PhD
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2006
Davis
Status
Pre-Veterinary
oh my god
SO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!
i love steven hawkings in the living room, pi to a thousand places, and when he gives the girl a power cord as a present... and... bubble wrap....
:lol::lol:

and i, for one, wear the nerd label proudly.

rachroo

OSU CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
Status
Veterinary Student
and i, for one, wear the nerd label proudly.
As do I!

I'm starting to notice a trend among pre-vet/vet students, but I think we're proud of being different. Maybe we should do some kind of study..."94.7%" of pre-vet/vet students were found to be nerds as defined by normal society." ;)