Army-Baylor Class of 2019 (Sept 16 BOLC Report/Jan 17 DPT Start)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think your recruiter is confused because that doesn't make any sense. I doubt they only selected 4 Navy folks and then put 90 plus people on a wait list. What part of the country are you in?
I'm in Florida. I called another recruiter and she said I'm on the OML list. Did you get accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in Florida. I called another recruiter and she said I'm on the OML list. Did you get accepted?

Nothing yet. It sounds like everyone that's heard something is out east. I wonder if they are letting people know that aren't accepted or put on the OML. I just want to know something definitive. I actually left work early today because my mind was so occupied with this stuff. If I don't find out today it's going to be a miserable weekend.

Nothing yet. It sounds like everyone that's heard something is out east. I wonder if they are letting people know that aren't accepted or put on the OML. I just want to know something definitive. I actually left work early today because my mind was so occupied with this stuff. If I don't find out today it's going to be a miserable weekend.
Honestly I called another recruiter and she said the list is out so I'm sure someone can tell you if you call. Also, I heard there's only two true non selects. If that eases your mind at all

Members don't see this ad :)
OML...

Sounds like there'll be way over 10 people on the list this year.

I am so confused. I am in North Carolina and my recruiter said she hasnt heard anything.

For those who are on the OML, did they tell you you would be taking the physical?

For those of you who heard from a recruiter, was it the one that you were in contact with about your amedd packet stuff?

Just tried to call a recruiter out East, but can't get in touch with anyone. It's after 5 on a Friday out there so I doubt anyone is even still in the office. I'm still holding out hope that I hear from somewhat in my neck of the woods, but I'm not going to hold my breath. This is one time where I'm definitely not glad it's Friday.

I've had the same recruiter since Dec, and that's who told me. He said he got an email w/ the list and I was on the OML. I asked if there was a list of twenty hard acceptances and he said yes. He said he was waiting to hear about when my physical is due.

I heard from my recruiter out of the recruiting center in Lexington, KY. Have been accepted. Was called about an hour ago.

are you applying for the army or navy?

Just tried to call a recruiter out East, but can't get in touch with anyone. It's after 5 on a Friday out there so I doubt anyone is even still in the office. I'm still holding out hope that I hear from somewhat in my neck of the woods, but I'm not going to hold my breath. This is one time where I'm definitely not glad it's Friday.
Did you ever hear?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you ever hear?

Nope. I tried several people, but I couldn't get anyone to return a call or an email. I did get an email early yesterday morning before notifications started going out so I know they were at least in the office at some point. I think the chances of them working today are between slim and none. Hopefully we hear something Monday morning. Luckily it's Beer Week here in Sacramento so I have a way to keep myself at least somewhat distracted for the next couple days. I know it's hard but try to not let this ruin your weekend. I've asked my wife not to even mention the program all weekend. Going to do my best to forget about everything for a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats jet pack!! What were your stats if you don't mind sharing.
Sure. GPA 3.86, prerequisite GPA 3.95. GRE: 163 verbal, 167 math, 5.5 writing.

Accepted also for a Navy spot!

I'M IN!!! I got a call first thing this morning. My recruiter is two time zones ahead of me and always forgets about the time difference so it was actually my wake up call. I'm sure I sounded totally out of it when she called. I do have a couple of minor medical issues from my prior service days that MEPS wants documentation on so it's not a sure thing, but unless disaster strikes I should be good to go. I'll feel a little better once I know the physical and medical stuff is done, but I already feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my chest.

Congrats to everyone was accepted! I know classes from past years have created Facebook pages to network ahead of time. If anyone is interested in something like that let me know and I will take the lead. I might hold off though until all of the physical stuff is done. Don't want to jinx us.

Reactions: 3 users
I'M IN!!! I got a call first thing this morning. My recruiter is two time zones ahead of me and always forgets about the time difference so it was actually my wake up call. I'm sure I sounded totally out of it when she called. I do have a couple of minor medical issues from my prior service days that MEPS wants documentation on so it's not a sure thing, but unless disaster strikes I should be good to go. I'll feel a little better once I know the physical and medical stuff is done, but I already feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my chest.

Congrats to everyone was accepted! I know classes from past years have created Facebook pages to network ahead of time. If anyone is interested in something like that let me know and I will take the lead. I might hold off though until all of the physical stuff is done. Don't want to jinx us.

Congrats scrawnyguy and EK4!!!! And that's a great idea, I'd be interested

Oml. Does anyone know more about the oml. My recruiter didn't seem to know anything

Oml. Does anyone know more about the oml. My recruiter didn't seem to know anything
OML=Order of Merit List. It's basically the military's version of a wait list. If someone declines or fails the physical they will start working their way down the list. The recruiters may have a list of everyone on the OML, but they may not have the actual order of applicants on the list.

Just heard back from my recruiter and he confirmed there were 68 people on the OML he received.

I am in as well!!! Beyond excited for this opportunity. Since I applied last year and passed the physical, they said that its good for 2 years and they aren't making me take another one. That would be awesome if you took the lead on a FB group for us!

Just heard back from my recruiter and he confirmed there were 68 people on the OML he received.
So they almost OMLed everyone remaining after choosing the hard 20... I'd rather be rejected.

I have the page up and running. I won't be on these forums as much anymore, but I Admin my company's Facebook page so I am on there pretty often. Looking forward to meeting you all in person next fall!

Army-Baylor DPT Class 2019 Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1754637954770548/

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Why would there be 68 people on the OML? That wouldn't make sense. A plane filled with the entire class of 2019 would need to crash....about 3 times. I'm also "OML"d and am also in ROTC which makes things difficult. Do I cut ties and give up on Baylor now and try finding a branch or is there even still a chance? My recruiter doesn't really sound like she is in the loop. I had to call around myself just to find out I was put on the OML.

So they almost OMLed everyone remaining after choosing the hard 20... I'd rather be rejected.
I sort of agree. I am on active duty now, but I need to proceed as if it's a rejection prepare to separate to go to civilian pt school. It would be preferable and better for my family to remain on active duty, but w/ 68 OMLed, I don't know if I'm even close.

Why would there be 68 people on the OML? That wouldn't make sense. A plane filled with the entire class of 2019 would need to crash....about 3 times. I'm also "OML"d and am also in ROTC which makes things difficult. Do I cut ties and give up on Baylor now and try finding a branch or is there even still a chance? My recruiter doesn't really sound like she is in the loop. I had to call around myself just to find out I was put on the OML.

You're in ROTC so you're probably familiar with how the OML works. There is definitely a ranking on the OML to determine who gets the first slot if someone fails the physical or declines a slot. Unfortunately from looking at past threads I don't think the recruiters are given the order. If I was in your shoes and I was 3 or 4 on the list I might hold out hope that I would get in, but if I was 63 or 64 I would treat it more or less like a rejection. Like you said, it's highly unlikely that several dozen people are going to get DQ'ed or turn down a spot.

Has anyone on the oml heard anything else? I heard they pulled 10 people off the oml and not sure what that means..

The wait list is large which indicates that there is a large group of very highly qualified applicants--many of whom receive multiple offers from other programs. Many of those applicants we may need to select if our selectees decline their offer or are subsequently found to be ineligible by recruiting standards (physical or background check)--it happens. Many of those waitlisted applicants we want to reapply in the 2016-2017 admission cycle because we frequently pick up reapplicants who significantly strengthen their application after initially being waitlisted in the prior admission cycle.

Recruiters are there to deliver the message regarding nonselect, select or waitlist. More information will be forthcoming soon from the DPT program.

It does sound a little better when you put it that way. Do you know the absolute latest they would dip into the oml?

It does sound a little better when you put it that way. Do you know the absolute latest they would dip into the oml?
Applicants on the waitlist will be contacted sooner rather than later if they are extended an offer. We understand that there are significant movements required to execute that transition. Our objective is to fill our class and will take as much time as required to accomplish that.

The wait list is large which indicates that there is a large group of very highly qualified applicants--many of whom receive multiple offers from other programs. Many of those applicants we may need to select if our selectees decline their offer or are subsequently found to be ineligible by recruiting standards (physical or background check)--it happens. Many of those waitlisted applicants we want to reapply in the 2016-2017 admission cycle because we frequently pick up reapplicants who significantly strengthen their application after initially being waitlisted in the prior admission cycle.

Recruiters are there to deliver the message regarding nonselect, select or waitlist. More information will be forthcoming soon from the DPT program.

When you say more information will be coming from the program do you mean that they will be able to tell us how where we are at on the O.M.L or what was lacking on our application?
Thanks!

When you say more information will be coming from the program do you mean that they will be able to tell us how where we are at on the O.M.L or what was lacking on our application?
Thanks!

Hello!

I have been following this thread for the past year and have truly appreciated what I have learned from all of you. I also applied to this year’s cycle and was put on the OML – for the second time in a row. I won’t pretend that I’m not disappointed, but the good part of this experience is that I can answer some of your questions.

I saw that someone heard from their recruiter that they pulled ten from the OML list – I don’t have a way of confirming that, but I do know that when I spoke with my recruiter on Monday, they didn’t even have a date for the physicals to be completed, thus I don’t believe that they would have any disqualified applicants yet (if they are going to have any). What my recruiter did tell me is that they have 3 lists – the hard selection list, the OML list and what I’ve been calling an ‘alternate list’. The order/rank of the OML is not released, however my recruiter did know the top five on the OML, and I’m calling that top five group the ‘alternate list’. Perhaps this is the 10 that the other recruiter thought were being pulled from the OML?

In considering the question about what information the recruiters can tell us about the applications that were put on the OML – we shouldn’t expect much help in getting answers on how we can improve. I have applied twice and both times my recruiter encouraged me to re-apply, but they didn’t know how to specifically strengthen my application, as they did not receive any notes from the Selection Board (and this year the only comment I got was ‘I’m surprised that you weren’t selected this year'). Also, if I understand correctly, our recruiters are working with four different groups (PT,OT,PA and Dietitians) all who have had their Selection Boards meet within the last month. That means that they are dealing with over 200 people, and at least 70 of them need to be ready for BOLC before the end of summer. Those of us on the OML list are not high priority, and rightly so. Don’t lose hope – I have found that combing through my application myself for areas for improvement has been a useful exercise in helping me become not only a better applicant, but also a better person. Use these forums to guess the selected class’s GPA and GRE (info that the recruiter probably won’t receive until summer), have a set of fresh eyes look at your application and ask for critique, and self-evaluate how your interview went. Learn more about the program – go through their website (http://www.baylor.edu/graduate/pt/) go to google scholar and look up articles written by the program’s staff and faculty
I found these two to be helpful :
http://www.jospt.org/doi/abs/10.2519/jospt.1994.19.5.261
http://ptjournal.apta.org/content/75/5/380
and most importantly, evaluate yourself – because if you don’t fully understand what you stand for and what your passionate about, you can’t present it to others.

My stats:
BS – Biology from Missouri State University
Cum GPA: 3.98
Pre-req GPA: 3.95
GRE: Q:152 V:161 Writing:4.0
Hours of Observation: 1800 outpatient (ortho,aqua,neuro), 65 inpatient, 40 military (All done at the Walter Reed National Medical Military Center, Acute, TBI, Outpatient)
Branch of preference: Navy (I actually would love to work with either branch, but my military family and friends advised that I write down Navy)

I may be crazy, but I like to think of it as persistence, because I think I’m going to apply one more time! In the meantime I do want to encourage everyone on this thread to vote this year – who knows, we could be voting for our future boss.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello!

I have been following this thread for the past year and have truly appreciated what I have learned from all of you. I also applied to this year’s cycle and was put on the OML – for the second time in a row. I won’t pretend that I’m not disappointed, but the good part of this experience is that I can answer some of your questions.

I saw that someone heard from their recruiter that they pulled ten from the OML list – I don’t have a way of confirming that, but I do know that when I spoke with my recruiter on Monday, they didn’t even have a date for the physicals to be completed, thus I don’t believe that they would have any disqualified applicants yet (if they are going to have any). What my recruiter did tell me is that they have 3 lists – the hard selection list, the OML list and what I’ve been calling an ‘alternate list’. The order/rank of the OML is not released, however my recruiter did know the top five on the OML, and I’m calling that top five group the ‘alternate list’. Perhaps this is the 10 that the other recruiter thought were being pulled from the OML?

In considering the question about what information the recruiters can tell us about the applications that were put on the OML – we shouldn’t expect much help in getting answers on how we can improve. I have applied twice and both times my recruiter encouraged me to re-apply, but they didn’t know how to specifically strengthen my application, as they did not receive any notes from the Selection Board (and this year the only comment I got was ‘I’m surprised that you weren’t selected this year'). Also, if I understand correctly, our recruiters are working with four different groups (PT,OT,PA and Dietitians) all who have had their Selection Boards meet within the last month. That means that they are dealing with over 200 people, and at least 70 of them need to be ready for BOLC before the end of summer. Those of us on the OML list are not high priority, and rightly so. Don’t lose hope – I have found that combing through my application myself for areas for improvement has been a useful exercise in helping me become not only a better applicant, but also a better person. Use these forums to guess the selected class’s GPA and GRE (info that the recruiter probably won’t receive until summer), have a set of fresh eyes look at your application and ask for critique, and self-evaluate how your interview went. Learn more about the program – go through their website (http://www.baylor.edu/graduate/pt/) go to google scholar and look up articles written by the program’s staff and faculty
I found these two to be helpful :
http://www.jospt.org/doi/abs/10.2519/jospt.1994.19.5.261
http://ptjournal.apta.org/content/75/5/380
and most importantly, evaluate yourself – because if you don’t fully understand what you stand for and what your passionate about, you can’t present it to others.

My stats:
BS – Biology from Missouri State University
Cum GPA: 3.98
Pre-req GPA: 3.95
GRE: Q:152 V:161 Writing:4.0
Hours of Observation: 1800 outpatient (ortho,aqua,neuro), 65 inpatient, 40 military (All done at the Walter Reed National Medical Military Center, Acute, TBI, Outpatient)
Branch of preference: Navy (I actually would love to work with either branch, but my military family and friends advised that I write down Navy)

I may be crazy, but I like to think of it as persistence, because I think I’m going to apply one more time! In the meantime I do want to encourage everyone on this thread to vote this year – who knows, we could be voting for our future boss.

It's a shame you can't get feedback on what areas you can improve on. On paper you look like an awesome applicant. I'm really surprised you didn't get accepted. For your branch preference did you say you would only take a Navy slot or that you prefer Navy, but will accept either branch?

It's a shame you can't get feedback on what areas you can improve on. On paper you look like an awesome applicant. I'm really surprised you didn't get accepted. For your branch preference did you say you would only take a Navy slot or that you prefer Navy, but will accept either branch?

I selected "no preference, but would prefer Navy". Both times I filled this form out I thought the wording was misleading and when I spoke with my recruiter about being put on the OML this year, she confirmed that selecting any option that included Navy (both the "only take Navy" and "would like to be in Navy" choices) would effect how my application was reviewed. She didn't explain it very well, but she did state that it decreased my chances of being selected (like I was only considered for one of the four Navy spots instead of any of the 22 spots within the combined group). I really wished I had known this before I turned in my application, but I also feel that I did the right thing by following the advise of my peers (plus I would love to work with the Marines). On the up side of things I know that I shouldn't feel that my personality and background (the essays and interview part of the application) aren't a good fit for this program, because I was put on the OML list and not rejected - I still am a highly competitive applicant, I just wasn't top four for this group.

My recruiter said that they pulled ten off the OML and that I wasn't one but then called me a day later and said they're making all OML go through physicals anyway. I'm not really sure if I want to go through all the trouble (hospital records, get a PCP just to get the doctor to sign off on a vision chart, etc.) and be the 68th person on the waitlist

Looking at everyone who was put on the OML makes me wonder what made the applicants who were accepted stand out. These OML stats are incredible.

Looking at everyone who was put on the OML makes me wonder what made the applicants who were accepted stand out. These OML stats are incredible.
Do you know the order of people on the oml?

Not at all, and I'm pretty sure none of our recruiters know either. I was just basing off the stats of those on these forums.

My recruiter said that they pulled ten off the OML and that I wasn't one but then called me a day later and said they're making all OML go through physicals anyway. I'm not really sure if I want to go through all the trouble (hospital records, get a PCP just to get the doctor to sign off on a vision chart, etc.) and be the 68th person on the waitlist
I completely agree with you in the fact that I selected Navy preference, but before I made the selection I specifically asked my recruiter if this would affect my chances of selection and if I am technically applying to the 4 navy spots, she told me no, that selection is entirely independent of this and that navy or army is not decided until graduation to see where PTs are needed. If I had known that this would decrease my chances, I would have selected army because I really would be happy with either. For this reason I am pretty bummed about the lack of communication and information provided to the recruiters, unfortunately it seems we were sort of the "guinea pig" class for the new selection system with PTCAS.

Also, for reference, I was told that I am 3rd on the OML list by my recruiter. I asked if there are only 10 on the OML list and she said no, there are 71 but only the top 10 will be considered if anyone drops. I have not been told to do a physical, and if I am only considered for the 4 Navy spots then my hopes are not high at the point.

I completely agree with you in the fact that I selected Navy preference, but before I made the selection I specifically asked my recruiter if this would affect my chances of selection and if I am technically applying to the 4 navy spots, she told me no, that selection is entirely independent of this and that navy or army is not decided until graduation to see where PTs are needed. If I had known that this would decrease my chances, I would have selected army because I really would be happy with either. For this reason I am pretty bummed about the lack of communication and information provided to the recruiters, unfortunately it seems we were sort of the "guinea pig" class for the new selection system with PTCAS.

Also, for reference, I was told that I am 3rd on the OML list by my recruiter. I asked if there are only 10 on the OML list and she said no, there are 71 but only the top 10 will be considered if anyone drops. I have not been told to do a physical, and if I am only considered for the 4 Navy spots then my hopes are not high at the point.

Your recruiter was right regarding the "no preference but would prefer Navy." It does nothing to decrease your chances on selection, only works to communicate where you'd like to serve. If an applicant selects "Army only" or "Navy only" then that does limit their choices. Branching to the Army and Navy selection is chosen at the selection board and applicants go through either Navy ODS or Army BOLC prior to the start of the DPT program. It is not done at graduation.

This applicant cohort is no trial case, PTCAS has worked exactly as we planned it to work within our recruiting and admissions program. Recruiters can't know where you are on the OML, nor should they. If they knew more about board results then that might affect how you are treated. In years past, applicants had to provide recruiters with paper copies of transcripts and GREs in addition to letters of reference. Not a very efficient process, nor fair, particularly for waitlisted applicants. The DPT program in San Antonio now has full visibility of the entire cohort through PTCAS.

The way that applicants and those on the waitlist is being handled is to preserve your rights to be fully considered, if we can make you an offer. We also are sensitive to your rights to be considered next year if you choose to apply again. Applicants must consider that DPT recruiting and admissions, for all programs, is extraordinarily competitive and our program, in particular, must evaluate applicants across a wider range of characteristics than academics and observation hours.

Your recruiter was right regarding the "no preference but would prefer Navy." It does nothing to decrease your chances on selection, only works to communicate where you'd like to serve. If an applicant selects "Army only" or "Navy only" then that does limit their choices. Branching to the Army and Navy selection is chosen at the selection board and applicants go through either Navy ODS or Army BOLC prior to the start of the DPT program. It is not done at graduation.

This applicant cohort is no trial case, PTCAS has worked exactly as we planned it to work within our recruiting and admissions program. Recruiters can't know where you are on the OML, nor should they. If they knew more about board results then that might affect how you are treated. In years past, applicants had to provide recruiters with paper copies of transcripts and GREs in addition to letters of reference. Not a very efficient process, nor fair, particularly for waitlisted applicants. The DPT program in San Antonio now has full visibility of the entire cohort through PTCAS.

The way that applicants and those on the waitlist is being handled is to preserve your rights to be fully considered, if we can make you an offer. We also are sensitive to your rights to be considered next year if you choose to apply again. Applicants must consider that DPT recruiting and admissions, for all programs, is extraordinarily competitive and our program, in particular, must evaluate applicants across a wider range of characteristics than academics and observation hours.
Thank you, I greatly appreciate your response and taking the time to give us some clarity.

With the guinea pig comment, I only meant there seemed to be a lot of things relayed to recruiters and applicants that may not have been accurate, whether that be through misunderstanding or miscommunication i.e. being told my position on the waitlist when it is not known.