Army-Baylor Class of 2019 (Sept 16 BOLC Report/Jan 17 DPT Start)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know any better our chances of getting in after being cleared in the physical and making it to the board?

The selection board will review between 70-100 applications.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know any better our chances of getting in after being cleared in the physical and making it to the board?

What he said ^^^ tcpt works for the program so that's as close as you'll get to an official word from the head shed.

No one is taking the physical until after they are selected, but we are doing a medical prescreen which will eliminate anyone with major medical issues such as diabetes or serious asthma before that point. We are also doing a Livescan fingerprint which I believe will flag any potential moral (criminal/legal) issues that would keep someone from proceeding.

Has anyone heard anything? Hopefully things start moving a little faster now that the holidays are over.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 MORE LETTERS REC!?! Did anyone else get the email saying we need to upload 3 letters of rec for our application to be finalized? Our final packets have to be submitted by the beginning of Feb and I really don't know how I'm going to scrape up 3 more letters of rec in less than 3 weeks.

3 MORE LETTERS REC!?! Did anyone else get the email saying we need to upload 3 letters of rec for our application to be finalized? Our final packets have to be submitted by the beginning of Feb and I really don't know how I'm going to scrape up 3 more letters of rec in less than 3 weeks.

That cannot be correct. We already have your letters of recommendation. Contact Mr. Stephens at the program and remind the recruiter that there are three letters of recommendation already on your application.

That cannot be correct. We already have your letters of recommendation. Contact Mr. Stephens at the program and remind the recruiter that there are three letters of recommendation already on your application.

Roger, sir. I think they're using guidance from years past to put the packets together, but things have obviously changed now that the program is using PTCAS. I will email Mr. Stephens ASAP.

The Army Recruiting Command was notified of the situation and they will address it from their end. In the meantime, if you are being asked to submit documentation that has already been uploaded into PTCAS, contact Mr. Stephens (Training and Admissions Administrator).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I really wish I would have held off a day to request my transcripts. I already ordered everything yesterday. 12 schools=probably more than 100 bucks down the drain. Ouch!

I really wish I would have held off a day to request my transcripts. I already ordered everything yesterday. 12 schools=probably more than 100 bucks down the drain. Ouch!

Same here. I had to request for a couple transcripts to send directly to my recruiter. Fortunately it was only 3 schools, but still...

Same here. I had to request for a couple transcripts to send directly to my recruiter. Fortunately it was only 3 schools, but still...

It's a little frustrating. When I first went to meet the local recruiter to do my livescan I specifically asked about the transcripts. I told him all about how we already sent everything to PTCAS. He told me that he was told that because it wasn't a government system they had no way of ensuring authenticity. I also had copies of my transcripts that I keep for my personal records and he told me those wouldn't work either since they were addressed to me. Several of them were still in the sealed envelope.

This is the first year with PTCAS and I knew there would be some hiccups along the way. Here's my big issue, if I don't get in I want it to be because someone else had better grades, GRE, essays, etc., not because my packet goes forward half finished (or worse yet not at all) due to a clerical error or misinformation from USAREC. I've been doing my best to anticipate what is going to be asked for next and getting the recruiters what they need as soon as humanly possible, but I'm still worried that something will fall between the cracks.

Met with my recruiter this morning to sign and send off my final packet to the board. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!

Reactions: 1 users
Here's my big issue, if I don't get in I want it to be because someone else had better grades, GRE, essays, etc., not because my packet goes forward half finished (or worse yet not at all) due to a clerical error or misinformation from USAREC. I've been doing my best to anticipate what is going to be asked for next and getting the recruiters what they need as soon as humanly possible, but I'm still worried that something will fall between the cracks.

Your concerns are valid and have happened in the past before PTCAS. This year the program at Ft Sam has full visibility on all applicants prior to the board. We know who should be reviewed and will account for each applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Met with my recruiter this morning to sign and send off my final packet to the board. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!

Congrats! Hopefully I'm not too far behind you. I think they have all of my documents now so I should be just a John Hancock away from being done.

Your concerns are valid and have happened in the past before PTCAS. This year the program at Ft Sam has full visibility on all applicants prior to the board. We know who should be reviewed and will account for each applicant.

That's good to know, sir. I think we'll all jut feel better when everything is signed, sealed and delivered to you all to Texas. It's so close, yet so far away.

Hello! Just curious if anyone applied for the Air Force seats? Do those seats normally get filled every year? I'd imagine they would since there are only 2?

I was curious about that too. Has anyone heard anything else lately?

Hello! Just curious if anyone applied for the Air Force seats? Do those seats normally get filled every year? I'd imagine they would since there are only 2?
I would assume the slots get filled. I know they only accept people who are already on AD or current Cadets and I think their board process is totally separate.

I was curious about that too. Has anyone heard anything else lately?

I heard from my recruiter a couple of times last week. They needed some clarification about some things in my AMEDD application. They should have all of my documents now so I'm hoping my packet is almost done.

Yes, those seats get filled. We will select up to 4 USAF students this year. Same PTCAS application and entry requirements but a different selection board.

Has anyone heard back from the program about corrections to a packet? Mine still has not been forwarded and I'm starting to feel a little anxiety.

Has anyone heard back from the program about corrections to a packet? Mine still has not been forwarded and I'm starting to feel a little anxiety.

I've been going back and forth for the last couple of weeks with my recruiter regarding small corrections. My packet is done now except for a signing my DA 61, which has to be done in person and I am knocking out tomorrow morning.

I just finished signing my DA 61 so it looks like my packet is officially done. I do have one piece of advice for the rest of the group, especially prior service folks. Make sure you double check the 61 before you sign it. I found several mistakes on mine that needed to be corrected. For example, it said I wasn't a HS graduate. That could've caused some major issues down the line. On that note, give yourself plenty of time to sign everything. Signing the final form takes a few seconds, but it took me over an hour to get corrections made. Granted I'm an old geezer who a dozen or so years of prior service time under my belt, so my packet is probably slightly more complicated than most, but I would still suggest blocking off a good chunk of time just in case something is wrong. Just my two cents...

Had to go back in yesterday to fix some stuff. The local recruiter said the next contact should be from the regional recruiter with the board results in about a month or so. I don't know about you all, but the process over the past couple of months has been a little shaky. I'm really hoping nothing fell through the cracks. Fingers crossed everything is good to go now. :xf:

Last edited:
Now that everything is done I'm not sure what to do with myself. It feels good to be done, but I have way too much time to analyze my packet and think of things I could have done better. How is everyone else passing the time now that your application is completed? Maybe it's time for me to take up a new hobby while I still have free time.

I agree- I have way too much free time now. I'm in a year off from school between undergrad and PT school, and my work currently won't let me do more than 30 hours a week, so I kinda feel like a bum! Haha. I'm trying to enjoy it though, and haven't been stressing too much about my packet; the way I see it, what's done is done, and we can't change anything now, so just have to try to be patient and hope for the best!

I agree- I have way too much free time now. I'm in a year off from school between undergrad and PT school, and my work currently won't let me do more than 30 hours a week, so I kinda feel like a bum! Haha. I'm trying to enjoy it though, and haven't been stressing too much about my packet; the way I see it, what's done is done, and we can't change anything now, so just have to try to be patient and hope for the best!

The last I heard the board is on Feb 22. Hopefully we hear something by the end of the month. That's not too much longer. I have a guitar that's collecting dust in the corner. Maybe I'll finally learn how to play it. I think we have to pass an APFT the first couple of days of BOLC so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for me to get back into "Army shape."

Same. I had to take a part-time position last year since it took me until early December to complete my pre-reqs. Unfortunately I couldn't get any more hours nor could I find another job to hire me... probably because I told everyone that I may move to Texas within a couple months (I live in Georgia). So I've got quite a bit of free time. I've mainly been shadowing here and there. I signed up to volunteer at Easter Seals a couple days ago, so I'm looking forward to start volunteering soon. Other than that I've been reading A LOT of books... and coloring in my anatomy coloring book :]

I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer to this, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I apologize in advance to the non PS folks for throwing alphabet soup at you. I know that the school is long enough that it qualifies as a PCS move and family can come with us for the duration of the school, but does anyone know when they are allowed to move down to Fort Sam? Would they move down with the SM prior to BOLC or just prior to the didactic portion of the DPT program? My wife and I are trying to figure out a general timeline.

Allowed? This is America!

I assume you mean when would the army start throwing some BAH your way, rather than getting some variety of "barracks" in September. The only reason you'd have any trouble is if you got TDY enroute orders, but that wouldn't make any sense, as you're "enroute" to fort sam. I bet you'll be fine. It'll be a normal PCS move.

Personally, I live 3 miles from the Harry Wurzbach gate, so I know where I'll be sleeping either way.

Kind of random. But does anyone know what's weighted the heaviest, lightest of everything we've done for the board? Packet, GPA, interview, etc.

Kind of random. But does anyone know what's weighted the heaviest, lightest of everything we've done for the board? Packet, GPA, interview, etc.
Wish I did, bud. Wish I did..

I assume you mean when would the army start throwing some BAH your way, rather than getting some variety of "barracks" in September. The only reason you'd have any trouble is if you got TDY enroute orders, but that wouldn't make any sense, as you're "enroute" to fort sam. I bet you'll be fine. It'll be a normal PCS move.

Personally, I live 3 miles from the Harry Wurzbach gate, so I know where I'll be sleeping either way.

You're picking up what I'm throwing down. I think my biggest concern is making sure my wife don't have to worry about moving on her own. This will pretty much be our first military move together. We got married about 2 weeks before I ETS'ed and I handled all of the HHG stuff. I think their system has improved, but it's still a hassle. I wouldn't want her to have to deal with all of that nonsense while I was in BOLC. I'm sure she could figure it out, but it helps to have some experience so that they won't and your chain or take shortcuts. I obviously don't even know if I'm going to get in, but I think I was conditioned by the Army to plan ahead for these types of things.

At the Tour they mentioned a formula that included: GPA, GRE, Pre-Req GPA, Anatomy and Physiology GPA, observation hours in a military setting, previous applicant(y/n), has applicant attended a program tour(y/n), LORs, leadership experience, community involvement. Military record if applicable, and maybe some other stuff I'm forgetting. Interesting to note that your A+P grade counts in 3 different places.

That formula puts you in some kind of order of merit, then after the interviews you get an interview score factored in, but if you sell yourself hard enough in the interview the interviewer may have some latitude to advocate for you as an applicant.

The military loves quantitative reasoning, so GPA/GRE would be the primary initial rank indicators–however, the only apples-to-apples they have to go off is the GRE, so the GRE may weigh heavier at Army-Baylor than most other programs.

One question I didn't have the tact/confidence to ask was if they have to/try to meet any diversity requirements (male/female/race/whatever).

Personally, I'm gonna go with the John Madden point system: score more points than the competition and you're likely to win! Meaning: have a 4.0, a GRE>320, verbal score>160, and AW>4. Great LORs, a personal statement that would bring tears to your english professor's eyes, enough hours in a military setting to be able to confidently answer any interview questions they may ask and verify your motivation to become a military PT.

You're picking up what I'm throwing down. I think my biggest concern is making sure my wife don't have to worry about moving on her own. This will pretty much be our first military move together. We got married about 2 weeks before I ETS'ed and I handled all of the HHG stuff. I think their system has improved, but it's still a hassle. I wouldn't want her to have to deal with all of that nonsense while I was in BOLC. I'm sure she could figure it out, but it helps to have some experience so that they won't and your chain or take shortcuts. I obviously don't even know if I'm going to get in, but I think I was conditioned by the Army to plan ahead for these types of things.

90% chance its a PCS with nothing to worry about. In fact, It should be the easiest PCS of your life since there's no out-processing to worry about. You just have to show up to BOLC on the right day - too easy.

As far as the Family, If I were in that situation it wouldn't make a difference when the army started paying me BAH, i'd move everybody at once to avoid the hassle(s) you mentioned (just keep the receipts/ weight slips). You're already paying rent/mortgage somewhere without any BAH, and you'll start getting that 0-1E pay right away so it should be manageable in either scenario.

Hello Everyone,

I made it to boards and I am very excited to hear back. Like others I am also finding things to keep me busy while I wait for the final say (being in school helps). I know that boards is on/around FEB 22. Does anyone have a good guess at when we would hear back? My recruiter told me late March but that seems like a long time to hear back. Any ideas?

I'm trying to not think about the boards until the beginning of March. Otherwise, I'll drive myself insane. My recruiter said we'd find out in early March. Just trying to focus on finishing strong in my last semester of undergrad.
I'm trying for a Navy spot so I'm not sure how things will proceed for me if I'm selected...

I doubt it will be late March. I imagine it will be closer to the first week of March. That seems to the pattern from past years' classes. Unlike those other classes we haven't taken the physical yet so I would think that there would be more emphasis on notifying us early so we can get scheduled for the PE as soon as possible. I developed a pretty good rapport with my local recruiter and they told me they will give me the heads up if they hear anything, but they also said the word would probably come down from the regional recruiter.

I might have to pick your brain this summer in regards of places to live in the area. I don't know how much time I will have between reporting and starting BOLC. When I was single it was pretty easy to find a place. Now that I'm married it becomes a little more difficult. I'll probably have to head down there this summer on a recon mission to check out the neighborhoods. I really wish I took another day or two when I was down there for the tour to check out the city.

I might have to pick your brain this summer in regards of places to live in the area. I don't know how much time I will have between reporting and starting BOLC. When I was single it was pretty easy to find a place. Now that I'm married it becomes a little more difficult. I'll probably have to head down there this summer on a recon mission to check out the neighborhoods. I really wish I took another day or two when I was down there for the tour to check out the city.
Well you get to choose: Somewhere cheap, or somewhere close. We bought a nice house in a nice neighborhood very convenient to base and we are reminded of our wise decision with every ridiculous mortgage payment.

Well you get to choose: Somewhere cheap, or somewhere close. We bought a nice house in a nice neighborhood very convenient to base and we are reminded of our wise decision with every ridiculous mortgage payment.

For us it's really going to depend on where my wife ends up working. Her company has a branch up near what I think is called the Quarry area. She also talks about going back to school to get her Master's so who knows where we'll end up.

Any Air Force folks on here? I'm curious how their board stuff is going.

For us it's really going to depend on where my wife ends up working. Her company has a branch up near what I think is called the Quarry area. She also talks about going back to school to get her Master's so who knows where we'll end up.
Perfect, that is literally the most expensive place you could live. Its called Alamo heights. If you have kids, its the best school system. If you're looking into a house I'd suggest "northridge" or "northside", same place–different names depending on who you talk to. Just outside (north of) the alamo heights city limits, but still inside loop 410. Taxes will be half as much and its still super convenient.

Yeah, I'm surprised we haven't heard from any Air Force people. Anyone out there trying for a Navy spot like me?

Yeah, I'm surprised we haven't heard from any Air Force people. Anyone out there trying for a Navy spot like me?

I said I would take either branch, but with a preference for Army. With all the time I have in the Army I imagine I would be selected for an Army slot.

90% chance its a PCS with nothing to worry about. In fact, It should be the easiest PCS of your life since there's no out-processing to worry about. You just have to show up to BOLC on the right day - too easy.

As far as the Family, If I were in that situation it wouldn't make a difference when the army started paying me BAH, i'd move everybody at once to avoid the hassle(s) you mentioned (just keep the receipts/ weight slips). You're already paying rent/mortgage somewhere without any BAH, and you'll start getting that 0-1E pay right away so it should be manageable in either scenario.

FWIW I had a two year break in service and when I came back on active duty for the Baylor program, it was a PCS move with Uncle Sam doing the heavy lifting for my HHG :)

FWIW I had a two year break in service and when I came back on active duty for the Baylor program, it was a PCS move with Uncle Sam doing the heavy lifting for my HHG :)
Good to know. Sounds pretty much like my situation. I ETS'ed in May of 2014 so I'll be just over 2 years when I report in the fall.