Ask an Air Force Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea, I am going this summer & am really wishing I just had the time off for the summer before having to hit it again hard in school next year, but oh well. I heard the yelling subsides after the first couple weeks? Or should I be prepared for it to suck for all 5 weeks?

You know, there are some advantages to having COT before dental school. Once you complete COT, you are eligible to go on externships (during your 45 day active duty tour) during time off from school. For example, I went on an externship to Lackland AFB to check out the oral surgery program during a 2-week break. The only reason I was allowed to do this was because I had already completed COT.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
AFDDS,
I am about to graduate from dental school and I'm doing direct accession. I have not completed COT yet but I will this summer. Am I able to get started with a USAA membership at this point? Do I need to wait until I begin COT or after COT?
Thanks.

AFDDS,
I am about to graduate from dental school and I'm doing direct accession. I have not completed COT yet but I will this summer. Am I able to get started with a USAA membership at this point? Do I need to wait until I begin COT or after COT?
Thanks.
I think you have to be on AD before you can go with USAA when you are coming in as a direct accession.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a situation that hopefully you might be able to help answer. I am currently in the AFROTC program and will be attending Feild Training this summer. That means they competed me already for a predental slot, but I didn't end up getting it (from what I know, there's only about 3 slots per year). I was wondering if you could tell me how many more times I could be competed, or if I have to rely on the possibility of a paid scholarship after I get accepted to dental school. And does this give me more of a foot in the door for the position I want when I do get there?

I have a situation that hopefully you might be able to help answer. I am currently in the AFROTC program and will be attending Feild Training this summer. That means they competed me already for a predental slot, but I didn't end up getting it (from what I know, there's only about 3 slots per year). I was wondering if you could tell me how many more times I could be competed, or if I have to rely on the possibility of a paid scholarship after I get accepted to dental school. And does this give me more of a foot in the door for the position I want when I do get there?
I'm not familiar with the ROTC competition programs. You'll most likely need to ask someone in your ROTC program. I PMd you a contact that may have some knowledge.

HPSP can be tricky. Needs vary by year. Last year only five 4-year scholarships were given out. That makes them pretty competitive.

Ok, I have a house and we have just got offers on the house which is great but when can we get and how do we get the AF moving crew? We just need to know so we can set a closing date and get our junk out before we close?

Also is the family covered under tricare during COT? I guess the real question is; When does our health care kick in? We just had a baby and the health care situation is kind of a headache right now.

Last edited:
Ok, I have a house and we have just got offers on the house which is great but when can we get and how do we get the AF moving crew? We just need to know so we can set a closing date and get our junk out before we close?

Also is the family covered under tricare during COT? I guess the real question is; When does our health care kick in? We just had a baby and the health care situation is kind of a headache right now.

When I was at COT my family was covered starting the first dat, which is your first day of active duty. My orders don't include COT, but I'm assuming your report day for COT is the first day your active duty orders start.

As far as moving, call the TMO number from the packet you got with your orders. They will tell you who you need to talk to for setting up your move. I talked to our local TMO and they said they can pack anytime after you receive your orders, you just have to schedule it. She also said if we want to move in may, they need at least a 3 week notice. There is a workseetvto fill out to set up the move...I would wait until you have a closing date before you send it in.

On what date does the AEGD begin? Do they all begin on the same date?

You need orders before you can set up your move. All of the move will be completed through the TMO office at the closest military installation to you. Doesn't have to be AF. You will need to contact that base to get the ball rolling. Contact your recruiter for other assistance.

You should fill out all your paperwork for Tricare at COT and get them covered.

On what date does the AEGD begin? Do they all begin on the same date?
No. They all begin very close to each other. The AF gives you a certain number of days to arrive at your duty location following COT. As you can imagine, if you are going to Keesler for your AEGD, you will only have a few days travel time. Typical travel time to Elmendorf is 13 days. We usually start around 14 Aug, so we start about 2 weeks after everyone else.

I heard that only (2) 4 years HPSP Dental scholarships are given out each year. Is this true?!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're interested in the 2-yr AEGD, is it recommended to do the 1-yr AEGD first? How many years after dental school is it recommended to practice before applying to the 2-yr AEGD? Thank you!

If you're interested in the 2-yr AEGD, is it recommended to do the 1-yr AEGD first? How many years after dental school is it recommended to practice before applying to the 2-yr AEGD? Thank you!
Some will go directly to the 2-year from dental school. There isn't a set number of years you should practice before applying. You just need to understand it's 2 intense years and if you're ready for that, go for it.

A friend of mine did Navy COT last summer and said they were't allowed coffee for the first couple weeks. Is this true at the AF COT? Just wondering so I can schedule my caffeine withdrawal before I get there, if needed.

A friend of mine did Navy COT last summer and said they were't allowed coffee for the first couple weeks. Is this true at the AF COT? Just wondering so I can schedule my caffeine withdrawal before I get there, if needed.
Not when I went. I guess it could have change, but I doubt it.

Not when I went. I guess it could have change, but I doubt it.

That is great news!

If anyone else knows anyone that knows anyone that went recently and was deprived of caffeine, lemme know. Thanks!

I am a dental hygienist (BSDH and MPH) moving to Ft. Walton Beach, Florida. My husband will be stationed at Eglin Air Force Base.

I am frustrated by this situation:

Florida is the only state that does not license by credentials. You are required to take the clinical exam over again.

I live in New Mexico. Obviosuly, I do not have the resources to find a patient that is willing to fly to Florida to be a board patient. Additionally, Florida gives the exam once a year (June).

I know that spouses get military preference. What is the liklihood I will get hired at the hospital there? (However, RDH pay is very low in the Air Force too) Does the Air Force work to accomodate military spouses when this happens? I would like to work private practice or for a dental hygiene school.

I have 6 years of college and post grad work. My career is being stripped away.

Do you have any advice or experience with this?

HELP!!:scared:
Is your husband going to be in the AEGD? Did he ask to be stationed there? I only ask because if he asked to be there, he probably shouldn't have. The AF works hard to get people something high on their list. Needs of the AF come first. If this is really going to be a big problem, he can contact AFPC and ask if he can find someone to switch with him, so he can go to a different location. May be too late at this point, but worth asking.

As far as being hired at the base. It will depend on whether or not they have an open position. Not every base has one. Spouses only get preference for GS(civil service) jobs. The hygiene jobs at a base may or may not be GS. They may be contract positions.

The personnel at the dental clinic will help in any way they can. I've seen people help graduating dentists and hygienists get board patients. If you let them know in advance, I'm sure they will do everything they can to help. I know the AEGD director there very well and can get you his contact info if you need it.

AFDDS,
Eventhough I am coming in as direct accession, would I be able to visit Keesler this summer before COT begins so that I can familiarize myself with the base and get the housing situation handled?
Thanks.

AFDDS,
Eventhough I am coming in as direct accession, would I be able to visit Keesler this summer before COT begins so that I can familiarize myself with the base and get the housing situation handled?
Thanks.
If you have an ID, you can get on base and getting a house early is a good idea. The expenses for the trip will be at your expense.

Would that be a military ID and how soon can I obtain one? My recruiter was telling me something about obtaining a letter from the dean of my dental school stating that I am on track to graduate at the end of May.

Would that be a military ID and how soon can I obtain one? My recruiter was telling me something about obtaining a letter from the dean of my dental school stating that I am on track to graduate at the end of May.
You'll have to check with your recruiter on getting a Military ID. You can still go for house hunting without an ID since you will be paying for the trip out of your own pocket anyway. You could also contact the director at Keesler and let them know you would like to visit the base and he could probably sponsor you on the base for a visit.

Hello AFDDS,
Thank you for hosting a great resource--this thread has answered many of my questions as I am transitioning into an AF career.
I'm trying to get some information on the scroll. My recruiter says he put my name on the scroll in early February. I am getting anxious because the date of the confirmation will affect my plans for next year.
The only place I found to look this up was

http://thomas.gov/home/nomis.html

If I can't find my name on this website, should I be worried?

Hello AFDDS,
Thank you for hosting a great resource--this thread has answered many of my questions as I am transitioning into an AF career.
I'm trying to get some information on the scroll. My recruiter says he put my name on the scroll in early February. I am getting anxious because the date of the confirmation will affect my plans for next year.
The only place I found to look this up was

http://thomas.gov/home/nomis.html

If I can't find my name on this website, should I be worried?
I'm not sure that is the correct site to look at. I would contact your recruiter and try to get some info from them. If you don't get any info, let me know.

AFDDS, We are looking online for renting an apartment near Anchorage, while we would prefer Eagle River the pickens is thin and hard to come by. We were wondering if Wasilla or Palmer, which seems to have an abundance of rentals, was a decent drive or a little too far (especially when the snow hits hard)?

AFDDS, We are looking online for renting an apartment near Anchorage, while we would prefer Eagle River the pickens is thin and hard to come by. We were wondering if Wasilla or Palmer, which seems to have an abundance of rentals, was a decent drive or a little too far (especially when the snow hits hard)?

I grew up in Anchorage. I personally would avoid the drive to the Valley (Palmer/Wasilla), but I also hate commuting in general. That particular drive isn't so bad (just long) until it snows. It is winter a lot, so the drive is often longer and more dangerous. It's the other crazy drivers that make it dangerous. People lose control of their vehicle and end up in the ditch, taking others out on their way... You'll be making the drive in the dark, both ways, for a good portion of the year. I think it would get old.

Eagle River is nice, but Anchorage is great too. And you won't spend almost 2 hours of every day driving to and from work. I personally put a high price on my time and 2 hours a day is too high a price for me to pay. Some people don't mind commuting. Lots of people live in the Valley and drive to Anch everyday.

Truedat,
I think I gave you some of the same advice in a PM. After being here 4 years, I'd strongly advise sticking to Eagle River or Anchorage. You'll like the commute better in the winter.

I grew up in Anchorage. I personally would avoid the drive to the Valley (Palmer/Wasilla), but I also hate commuting in general. That particular drive isn't so bad (just long) until it snows. It is winter a lot, so the drive is often longer and more dangerous. It's the other crazy drivers that make it dangerous. People lose control of their vehicle and end up in the ditch, taking others out on their way... You'll be making the drive in the dark, both ways, for a good portion of the year. I think it would get old.

Eagle River is nice, but Anchorage is great too. And you won't spend almost 2 hours of every day driving to and from work. I personally put a high price on my time and 2 hours a day is too high a price for me to pay. Some people don't mind commuting. Lots of people live in the Valley and drive to Anch everyday.

hello
I have several questions, hopefully someone can answer them.

I'm doing a 1yr AEGD, I just finished dental school about 3 weeks ago and I still haven't received my orders. I want to move out of my apartment because my lease end on May 31st. I have called the TMO office to make moving arrangements but they said that I need orders in order to make moving arrangements. I'm getting worried because I only have 2 week to stay in my apartment and I don't know what to do with all my things. What should I do?:confused:

The other question that I have is as a dental student we were getting a HPSP stipend, so as a captain in AEGD are we also getting a stipend or are whats the pay for AEGD residents?

thanks

Found the answer to my second question

$$ With Dependents
Housing offbase (BAH) $1500
Base Pay $3540
VSP (monthly) $250
BAS (food) $223
Monthly Total $5513
Annual Total $66,156
ASP (requires a license) $10,000
Total $76,156

$$ Without Dependents
Housing offbase (BAH) $1200
Base Pay $3540
VSP (monthly) $250
BAS (food) $223
Monthly Total $5213
Annual Total $62,556
ASP (requires a license) $10,000
Total $72,556

have you contacted your recruiter? He/She should be helping you with orders. You definitely need them in order to get your household goods moved. I'll pm you some more info.
hello
I have several questions, hopefully someone can answer them.

I'm doing a 1yr AEGD, I just finished dental school about 3 weeks ago and I still haven't received my orders. I want to move out of my apartment because my lease end on May 31st. I have called the TMO office to make moving arrangements but they said that I need orders in order to make moving arrangements. I'm getting worried because I only have 2 week to stay in my apartment and I don't know what to do with all my things. What should I do?:confused:

The other question that I have is as a dental student we were getting a HPSP stipend, so as a captain in AEGD are we also getting a stipend or are whats the pay for AEGD residents?

thanks

I know HPSP military ID is not like active duty ID but I'm wondering if I can access to the US milatary base OCONUS with HPSP military ID?
I'm traveling to foreign countries this summer, and I'd like to use PX to buy some gifts for my friends. Is this possible?
Thank you

I know HPSP military ID is not like active duty ID but I'm wondering if I can access to the US milatary base OCONUS with HPSP military ID?
I'm traveling to foreign countries this summer, and I'd like to use PX to buy some gifts for my friends. Is this possible?
Thank you

I believe your ID is a "reserve" ID. If so, you should be ok.

If you are AF HPSP and are expecting orders, you cannot get them until you send a copy of your National Board part II scores to AFPC. If you have done all that and need help finding the TMO office near you to handle your move or if you need to check on orders, you can call the USAF Accessions office at the following number: 210-565-0664

Please don't call unless you are graduating and need help right away. This isn't the dental section and they are very busy. Thanks.

I believe your ID is a "reserve" ID. If so, you should be ok.

Do I need to get a permission from the Air Force to travel foreign countries during my vacation?
My Army HPSP friends said they need get the permission to do that.
I don't have any ADT conflict.

Thank you.

AFDDS,

When we receive our state license and forward it to the AF, do we need to take any further action to receive our ASP of $10K?

What are my chances of getting a 3 year AF Scholarship if I submit all the paperwork in October? Do I have the same chances as a candidate for a 4 year scholarship? Does anyone know how many spots there were this year?

I hear that to get into civilian residencies, you need to have done research in dental school. Is it the same for specializing in the AF?

Do they pretty much consider the usual for residencies (AEGD & specialties): board scores, GPA, class rank? Anything else?

Does the AF cover the cost to move us from where we go to school to our first base?

Thanks.

I am close to putting in my preferences for AEGD locations. Will the location of my AEGD affect where I go next? For example, If I choose Travis and get selected would I be less likely to get Europe for the 3-4yrs after because it is more expensive to move a family from the west coast to europe? Or is it just as likely that I could go to Europe after the AEGD whether it was at Travis or Eglin? Thanks for all your help.

Do I need to get a permission from the Air Force to travel foreign countries during my vacation?
My Army HPSP friends said they need get the permission to do that.
I don't have any ADT conflict.

Thank you.
Not that I know of. Check with your local recruiter to see if any of your planned countries are off limits at this time.

What are my chances of getting a 3 year AF Scholarship if I submit all the paperwork in October? Do I have the same chances as a candidate for a 4 year scholarship? Does anyone know how many spots there were this year?
The number for this year isn't set yet, but will be soon. Your chances should be greater since there are usually more 3 year scholarships.

I hear that to get into civilian residencies, you need to have done research in dental school. Is it the same for specializing in the AF?

Do they pretty much consider the usual for residencies (AEGD & specialties): board scores, GPA, class rank? Anything else?

Does the AF cover the cost to move us from where we go to school to our first base?

Thanks.
That won't keep you out of a residency. You will complete a research project in our residency program.

Some residencies require the GRE, so your score on it will also be considered for those residencies that require it.

Yes. Your recruiter should help you with that. The move is set up through the nearest TMO to you. Should be at the nearest military base (may not be an AF base).

I posted this a few days ago. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

I am close to putting in my preferences for AEGD locations. Will the location of my AEGD affect where I go next? For example, If I choose Travis and get selected would I be less likely to get Europe for the 3-4yrs after because it is more expensive to move a family from the west coast to europe? Or is it just as likely that I could go to Europe after the AEGD whether it was at Travis or Eglin? Thanks for all your help.

I posted this a few days ago. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

It has minimal to no effect. In March, prior to the Hinman meeting, you will be given a list of openings. You will rank order them and turn them in to AFPC. At the Hinman, you will get a presentation on what bases were popular and which ones weren't. You will have some time to tweak or not to tweak your preference list and you will find out where you are going in April.

When base has an opening, the commander will let AFPC know the skill set they are looking for. So, if a base needs someone to do extractions or endo, etc.... they will let AFPC know and it will be on the list for you to see when making your preference list. If you are strong in surgery, you will be considered along with everyone else that is strong in surgery for the openings requesting that skill set. Same goes for other skill sets.