Ask an Air Force Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AFDDS,
The recruiter I have been working with told me that you get to choose your base. He did mention you have to make however many selections but he hasn't had anyone get below their forth choice. Is it normally this easy or are his recruits an exception?

Also in an answer to a previous post of mine you mentioned that you could be deployed 6mths or 3 yrs. I am not against being deployed and my wife and I have discussed the possibility of deployment but 3yrs sounds extreme. Do you know of a case where this has happened?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks BoomerSooner10

So why is the Airforce most people's first choice? Is it that much better of a branch than the other two? And what type of numbers/credentials would you consider to be competative for a Airforce Health Professions scholarship?

I'm not sure why it's people's first choice but I know it was my first choice because I had heard great things about the lifestyle and the family-friendly aspect. I live by an AF base and have always loved airplanes so that was my first choice for some more personal reasons too. As for others, I know it is certainly not always everyone's first choice but I think people have an automatically positive view of working for them. In the end, you've got to go where you feel you fit.

Is it that much of a better branch? That depends on the person. Some people could care less and others really want AF, Navy, or Army. Depends on the person.

What AFDDS said about the numbers is the minimum to even apply. Before this last cycle, they had an automatic acceptance with those who had a 3.5 and a 19 DAT but they got rid of it and now everyone has to apply like everyone else regardless of your numbers. Keep in mind that this last time only 5 people got the 4-year scholarship. I know there are much more that get the 3-year and I'm sure the numbers vary a bit each year but go for the branch you want.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the AF has their selections the earliest (late January?), then the Navy, then the Army. This allows people to apply to subsequent branches if they don't get the one they want. This of course assumes that people typically have preference in that order which is not always the case.

AFDDS,
The recruiter I have been working with told me that you get to choose your base. He did mention you have to make however many selections but he hasn't had anyone get below their forth choice. Is it normally this easy or are his recruits an exception?

Also in an answer to a previous post of mine you mentioned that you could be deployed 6mths or 3 yrs. I am not against being deployed and my wife and I have discussed the possibility of deployment but 3yrs sounds extreme. Do you know of a case where this has happened?
AFPC works very hard to get you something in your top 5. I think his recruits are the norm.

You misunderstood the previous post. The OP asked about 20/4 deployments. In other words 20 months between 4 month deployments. Most deployments now are 6 months. You may go 20 months, 3 years, or more between deployments.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is correct. The Air Force does not offer the $20,000 bonus but the Army and Navy do (after taxes I think it's usually about $16,000 anyway). It's so competitive to get the Air Force HPSP that they probably just don't need to offer it since that seems to be most people's first choice. That was my guess when I applied but I wanted the Air Force regardless of the extra money so I went for it and got it. I very likely would not have done it with another branch. Don't worry about the money, go with the branch you feel most comfortable. Other than that, as far as I know, the scholarships (in terms of $) are virtually identical between Army, Navy and AF.

I'm not sure why it's people's first choice but I know it was my first choice because I had heard great things about the lifestyle and the family-friendly aspect. I live by an AF base and have always loved airplanes so that was my first choice for some more personal reasons too. As for others, I know it is certainly not always everyone's first choice but I think people have an automatically positive view of working for them. In the end, you've got to go where you feel you fit.

Is it that much of a better branch? That depends on the person. Some people could care less and others really want AF, Navy, or Army. Depends on the person.

What AFDDS said about the numbers is the minimum to even apply. Before this last cycle, they had an automatic acceptance with those who had a 3.5 and a 19 DAT but they got rid of it and now everyone has to apply like everyone else regardless of your numbers. Keep in mind that this last time only 5 people got the 4-year scholarship. I know there are much more that get the 3-year and I'm sure the numbers vary a bit each year but go for the branch you want.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the AF has their selections the earliest (late January?), then the Navy, then the Army. This allows people to apply to subsequent branches if they don't get the one they want. This of course assumes that people typically have preference in that order which is not always the case.

Thanks for the responses

I am also drawn to the airforce b/c of the good things I've heard about the lifestyle and family-friendly aspect. Do you happen to know just how competative the scholarships are? I would be going for a 3 year scholarship and have over a 3.5 and 19 on the DAT.

Also, I would really like the opportunity to live abroad, but from my understanding you aren't able to do so in the airforce your first four years in service..is that correct?

Thanks for the responses

I am also drawn to the airforce b/c of the good things I've heard about the lifestyle and family-friendly aspect. Do you happen to know just how competative the scholarships are? I would be going for a 3 year scholarship and have over a 3.5 and 19 on the DAT.

Also, I would really like the opportunity to live abroad, but from my understanding you aren't able to do so in the airforce your first four years in service..is that correct? This is incorrect. If you do an AEGD, you chances will go up though.

Last year we had over 30 3-year scholarships. I just discussed this with our personnel center and the final numbers for this year have not been determined yet.

Does anyone have approximate stats, or in years past what it took to get a 4 year scholarship. My recruiter told me a 21 DAT average but what kind of GPA? I have a 3.6 and a 23 DAT.

Thanks

Does anyone have approximate stats, or in years past what it took to get a 4 year scholarship. My recruiter told me a 21 DAT average but what kind of GPA? I have a 3.6 and a 23 DAT.

Thanks

I had a 22 and a 3.95 and got one of the 4-years but I don't know what the average stats are on that. If you're saying the average is a 21 DAT I would imagine the average GPA is around 3.7. That's a complete guess so don't hold me to that but that's a solid DAT average so I'm assuming the GPA is fairly high as well.

The most important thing is to make yourself a well rounded applicant, just like dental school. Keep in mind that the Air Force doesn't just want brains, they want someone they think will make a good officer, because that's really what you'll be.

I'm applying for the HPSP Dental scholarship and my wife is concerned about me being placed in "harms way" while on active duty. What are your feelings on the matter?

I'm applying for the HPSP Dental scholarship and my wife is concerned about me being placed in "harms way" while on active duty. What are your feelings on the matter?
It's a possibility you could be deployed. You may go to some unsavory places. It's a fact of life in the military.

Do you have any statistics as to dentists that have been injured or killed on active duty? I am not personally worried about it, I just think that my wife needs a little reassurance.

Do you have any statistics as to dentists that have been injured or killed on active duty? I am not personally worried about it, I just think that my wife needs a little reassurance.
Some discussion about this topic throughout some other threads on here, but as far as I know only one injured.

Hello Sir
We are a married couple,both dentists graduated in 07.we both are joining the airforce , in fact, we just filled our applications today.we both want to make air force our career and we both want to go for speciality.I want to do OS and she wants to do ortho or pedo.so we were wondering if u can please give us some guidance.It has been our dream to serve and i just got my citizenship last month and she is getting this month so hopefully now there wont be any problem.we had been trying since we started the dental school so now you can imagine what this day means to us so if you can please help us
thanks

Your recruiter should be able to give you some information on applying to specialty training. OMS just had a board. The residency applications are out and the board will be in Nov of 2009.

Let me know if your recruiter cannot get you the information on specializing.

Hello Sir
We are a married couple,both dentists graduated in 07.we both are joining the airforce , in fact, we just filled our applications today.we both want to make air force our career and we both want to go for speciality.I want to do OS and she wants to do ortho or pedo.so we were wondering if u can please give us some guidance.It has been our dream to serve and i just got my citizenship last month and she is getting this month so hopefully now there wont be any problem.we had been trying since we started the dental school so now you can imagine what this day means to us so if you can please help us
thanks

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
AFDDS,

I apologize if you have covered this, but 20+ pages of threads to go through was a little overwhelming for 1 quick question.

I'd like to apply for the AF HPSP program but I need to find the recruiter first (obviously). I called the local AF recruiting office and they didn't know who I needed to contact and told me they'd get back to me? Is that the Best bet or is there a central Health Professions recruitment number I can call. I live in Utah if that helps at all.

Thanks

Here's your best bet.

http://www.airforce.com/contact-us/recruiter-locator/
AFDDS,

I apologize if you have covered this, but 20+ pages of threads to go through was a little overwhelming for 1 quick question.

I'd like to apply for the AF HPSP program but I need to find the recruiter first (obviously). I called the local AF recruiting office and they didn't know who I needed to contact and told me they'd get back to me? Is that the Best bet or is there a central Health Professions recruitment number I can call. I live in Utah if that helps at all.

Thanks

Hi AFDDS,

I am on my 2nd of 3-yr HPSP now and have tons of questions for my future plan. Would you mind take a look at the following questions?

1. Are we allowed to do the COT before we graduate? (i.e. the summer before the 4th yr starts)
2. Is there anything different if I do COT before graduation? (e.g. requirement, documentations, etc.)
3. Do I just e-mail the AF to apply for the COT next year? How fast does the space fill up?
4. Do we need to report to the assigned base right after we graduate? When is the report day in general? (I heard that for some bases are August 1st)
5. Can we go out of country during the time off between graduation and base report day?
6. Are we allowed to get an military ID card even though we are inactive HPSP student? I read it from the afit website saying that we can get a reserved military card, but I haven't get my ARPC Form 92 yet.
7. If I can obtain my military card, am I eligible for the tricare medical plans? do I need to wait until I graudated and become active? Am I currently enrolled in DEERS now?
8. Can I registered my family members in DEERS so they can also be covered until tricare medical plans?
9. For the SGLI, am I already enrolled in the insurance (included in my paycheck), or do I need to pay extra for the insurance to be effective?

Sry for the long list and thank you for your time and patience!

Hi AFDDS,

I am on my 2nd of 3-yr HPSP now and have tons of questions for my future plan. Would you mind take a look at the following questions?

1. Are we allowed to do the COT before we graduate? (i.e. the summer before the 4th yr starts)
2. Is there anything different if I do COT before graduation? (e.g. requirement, documentations, etc.)
3. Do I just e-mail the AF to apply for the COT next year? How fast does the space fill up?
4. Do we need to report to the assigned base right after we graduate? When is the report day in general? (I heard that for some bases are August 1st)
5. Can we go out of country during the time off between graduation and base report day?
6. Are we allowed to get an military ID card even though we are inactive HPSP student? I read it from the afit website saying that we can get a reserved military card, but I haven't get my ARPC Form 92 yet.
7. If I can obtain my military card, am I eligible for the tricare medical plans? do I need to wait until I graudated and become active? Am I currently enrolled in DEERS now?
8. Can I registered my family members in DEERS so they can also be covered until tricare medical plans?
9. For the SGLI, am I already enrolled in the insurance (included in my paycheck), or do I need to pay extra for the insurance to be effective?

Sry for the long list and thank you for your time and patience!

#1-HPSP students can go to COT before their dental school graduation. These quotas are controlled by AFIT, and you would need to contact AFIT to find out if there are any open COT seats.

#2-Nothing different to do, however, before we can issue orders for HPSPers to be brought on to active duty (after dental school), we must have a copy of both your Part I and Part II National Board Scores (passing of course), you must have completed dental school, and you must have at least taken a licensure exam.

#3-the summer COT classes are extremely full. All of the medical branches, chaplains, JAG officers, etc that are just graduating from school are usually in those summer sessions. So, it may be difficult to get a seat in the summer classes.

#4-report date depends:
-If you go to an AEGD-1 then you will either go to COT and then report right after COT to your AEGD-1 location
-If you go to an AEGD-1 and you have all ready been to COT prior to dental school graduation, then it is possible that you will not proceed to your base until late July/early August. The exact date depends on the base(no paycheck from May to August)
-If you have not gone to COT and you are not going to an AEGD-1 then you will go to COT after dental school graduation and then proceed immediately to your base after you graduate from COT
-If you have gone to COT before dental school graduation and you are not going to an AEGD-1 then you can be brought on to active duty at any point after dental school graduation. The timing really depends on the needs of the base where you are assigned. Typically, we can allow for a "reasonable" amount of time before we bring you on to active duty. You would contact AFPC to discuss this option.

#5-I would say that travelling out of the country is okay, just as long as all of the necessary procedures to come on to active duty have been met, such as: completion of degree requirements, successful completion of national boards, pick-up of household items.

#6- When HPSP members are on active duty orders they are eligible for an active duty ID (CAC) card that is good for the 45 days only. The remaining time you are eligible for a reserve ID card. To get the reserve ID card you need to take your appointment letter that you got from ARPC to an ID processing center at a military facility. For the active ID card, you would need a copy of your orders. This link can help locate an ID card center: http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/owa/home
It is best to call ahead as these centers get busy, may have closed, might make appointments, and you will need to know what forms of identification to bring along.

#7-When you are on active duty orders, you are eligible for TRICARE benefits. I think that ARPC enrolls you in DEERS, but I am not 100% sure on that. You would probably need to get ID cards and then enroll your families when you get to your permanent duty station, unless you are on your 45 day tour and are close enough to a military facility to take advantage of that time frame. From the date of dental school graduation until the time that you come on to active duty, you will not have TRICARE benefits. You can go to www.tricare.mil to find out about TRICARE benefits.

#8-HPSP students are in the "Inactive Reserves" Bottom line is that you are not eligible for much if anything when you are not on active duty.

#9- http://www.insurance.va.gov/sglisite/sgli/sgli.htm If you're having the SGLI deducted each month, then you should be covered.

#1-HPSP students can go to COT before their dental school graduation. These quotas are controlled by AFIT, and you would need to contact AFIT to find out if there are any open COT seats.

#2-Nothing different to do, however, before we can issue orders for HPSPers to be brought on to active duty (after dental school), we must have a copy of both your Part I and Part II National Board Scores (passing of course), you must have completed dental school, and you must have at least taken a licensure exam.

#3-the summer COT classes are extremely full. All of the medical branches, chaplains, JAG officers, etc that are just graduating from school are usually in those summer sessions. So, it may be difficult to get a seat in the summer classes.

#4-report date depends:
-If you go to an AEGD-1 then you will either go to COT and then report right after COT to your AEGD-1 location
-If you go to an AEGD-1 and you have all ready been to COT prior to dental school graduation, then it is possible that you will not proceed to your base until late July/early August. The exact date depends on the base(no paycheck from May to August)
-If you have not gone to COT and you are not going to an AEGD-1 then you will go to COT after dental school graduation and then proceed immediately to your base after you graduate from COT
-If you have gone to COT before dental school graduation and you are not going to an AEGD-1 then you can be brought on to active duty at any point after dental school graduation. The timing really depends on the needs of the base where you are assigned. Typically, we can allow for a "reasonable" amount of time before we bring you on to active duty. You would contact AFPC to discuss this option.

#5-I would say that travelling out of the country is okay, just as long as all of the necessary procedures to come on to active duty have been met, such as: completion of degree requirements, successful completion of national boards, pick-up of household items.

#6- When HPSP members are on active duty orders they are eligible for an active duty ID (CAC) card that is good for the 45 days only. The remaining time you are eligible for a reserve ID card. To get the reserve ID card you need to take your appointment letter that you got from ARPC to an ID processing center at a military facility. For the active ID card, you would need a copy of your orders. This link can help locate an ID card center: http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/owa/home
It is best to call ahead as these centers get busy, may have closed, might make appointments, and you will need to know what forms of identification to bring along.

#7-When you are on active duty orders, you are eligible for TRICARE benefits. I think that ARPC enrolls you in DEERS, but I am not 100% sure on that. You would probably need to get ID cards and then enroll your families when you get to your permanent duty station, unless you are on your 45 day tour and are close enough to a military facility to take advantage of that time frame. From the date of dental school graduation until the time that you come on to active duty, you will not have TRICARE benefits. You can go to www.tricare.mil to find out about TRICARE benefits.

#8-HPSP students are in the "Inactive Reserves" Bottom line is that you are not eligible for much if anything when you are not on active duty.

#9- http://www.insurance.va.gov/sglisite/sgli/sgli.htm If you're having the SGLI deducted each month, then you should be covered.

thanks for your quick reply in details! That really clear me up for lots of things. The reason I am asking all those questions is because I would like to go back to my country for my own wedding right after I graduate. I have to get the wedding planned 2 yrs ahead of time because it is really hard to get hold of the places we want. Looks like I have to contact AFIT to see if I can reserve a spot for the 2011 summer camp. I still have a couple questions if you don't mind:

1. for the "reasonable time" allowed after graduation, I was thinking since I should be graduated on time around late May and the report day for assigned base is usually around late July and early August, I should have around 2 months to get my wedding done. I tried to follow your advices to search on the AFPC website, but I couldn't any resources or contacts regarding the reporting procedures. do you think I should contact AFIT directly for the answers?

2. For the SGLI, I didn't see any deduction for it in my earnings statement, but in the remarks it has two lines saying that "SGLI Coverage: $400,000. Your SGLI deduction includes traumatic injury protection (TSGLI)". I just wanna know if it is deducted from my paycheck so my parents woudlnt' need to worry about paying back the debt if anything bad happens on me.

Thanks!!!!

I just got in contact with a related personel in AFPC. She told me the approximate time period that I may have after I graduate and refered me to an AFIT officier for the early COT arrangement. Again, thank you AFDDS for all the helps!

I finally got a hold of a recruiter and he told me that my 3.37 GPA was too low to apply, is that true? He said if I could bring it up to a 3.5 by January then I could apply. Seeing as I have 180 credits, it is near impossible to bring it up .13 in 1 semester. Owell, I guess there is always the Navy

I finally got a hold of a recruiter and he told me that my 3.37 GPA was too low to apply, is that true? He said if I could bring it up to a 3.5 by January then I could apply. Seeing as I have 180 credits, it is near impossible to bring it up .13 in 1 semester. Owell, I guess there is always the Navy
That's not my understanding of how it works. Just a year or 2 ago, you could be prequalified if you had a 3.5 and a 19 on your DAT. At that time it was, essentially, first come first serve, if you met those criteria. Then it was decided that you needed to meet a board no matter what your GPA and DAT scores were.

So, my understanding of the current system is that you can apply with less than a 3.5 GPA. Your DAT will need to be higher than 19. However, knowing the number of scholarships will be low this year, keep in mind the board will be very competitive.

That's not my understanding of how it works. Just a year or 2 ago, you could be prequalified if you had a 3.5 and a 19 on your DAT. At that time it was, essentially, first come first serve, if you met those criteria. Then it was decided that you needed to meet a board no matter what your GPA and DAT scores were.

So, my understanding of the current system is that you can apply with less than a 3.5 GPA. Your DAT will need to be higher than 19. However, knowing the number of scholarships will be low this year, keep in mind the board will be very competitive.

Do you know how many 3 year scholarships the Air Force will be giving out this year?

thanks!

Hello Sir:

I just completed my one-year GPR, in Connecticut. I am a single mother with 14month old baby…I am very much interested in joining the Air force; I was wondering what are my chances? Would I be allegeable given that I’m a single mother and I am the only one who takes care of my child…Thanks!

Hello Sir:

I just completed my one-year GPR, in Connecticut. I am a single mother with 14month old baby…I am very much interested in joining the Air force; I was wondering what are my chances? Would I be allegeable given that I’m a single mother and I am the only one who takes care of my child…Thanks!

You would be eligible, but I'm not sure we are taking anyone not on the HPSP. Having the GPR would help, but still not sure. Best bet is to contact your local recruiter.

Do you know how many 3 year scholarships the Air Force will be giving out this year?

thanks!

I think last year the AF gave 30 3-years so I would assume something similar this year. I'm on a 4-year and I don't have any inside info on this, but I do know it was 30 3-years last year. However, 4-year scholarships were significantly cut last year so perhaps the 3-years will be fewer in number for this cycle as well.

Just got down to my AEGD at Eglin a few weeks ago and have been extremely impressed with the staff here (especially prosth). Very friendly, very knowledgable, and have a strong desire to help and for their residents to succeed. Very early on in the process, but I'd definitely recommend doing an AEGD, and Eglin seems like a great place to do it!

Just got down to my AEGD at Eglin a few weeks ago and have been extremely impressed with the staff here (especially prosth). Very friendly, very knowledgable, and have a strong desire to help and for their residents to succeed. Very early on in the process, but I'd definitely recommend doing an AEGD, and Eglin seems like a great place to do it!

Wow that's great! I've got another 3 years or so before I even pick but that's definitely one of my top choices for AEGD. Good to hear you like it so much!

thanks!

Sorry, didn't see your question. The number for this year isn't set yet. Last year it was around 30 and I would expect it will be close to that again this year.

Glad you are enjoying it. I think you will find that all of our AEGD programs are like that.

If you are accepted for the 4 year scholarship, is it possible to do the COT the summer before you start dental school?

If you are accepted for the 4 year scholarship, is it possible to do the COT the summer before you start dental school?

It's actually preferred. I'm on a 4-year and was told I needed to go before my first year unless I had a conflict. Well, it turns out that I did have a conflict with school starting in June so I'll be going next summer, between my first and second year.

I'm starting AEGD in Air Force and I'm liking it too. How many resident spots and how many resident faculties over in Eglin?

Last edited:
Glad you are enjoying it. I think you will find that all of our AEGD programs are like that.

I need to expand this a little. I would have to say the residency programs at Lackland AFB are like that as well. I spent a year assisting full time as an unpaid civilian assistant (even though I was an officer in the Navy Reserves) in the different residency programs there and found the people there very willing to teach and help each other. They were even spending me (a pre-dent at the time) a lot of time teaching me things. Should anyone here get the opportunity to do a residency there, you will not regret it. I almost switched from khakis to AF Blue because of COL Fancher who allowed me the opportunity to learn what I did there.

So if you go to COT the summer before dental school, how are you paid during this time? O-3?

No, you'll be considered a 2d LT and get O1 pay if you go before dental school. I know this because I just finished COT and there were a few ppl that were attending before school

Thanks for all your post an replies they have been helpful. When were you at Lackland AFB? I have 12 yrs of service including my HPSP. I was a USAF dental assistant for 9 years and was stationed at Lackland AFB my first year in the service so thats why I ask when you were there. I assisted the 2 year AEGD program and occasionally pulled call for Dunn dental clinic so I had some great training as an assistant there. I never realized how much I love the military life until my first year of dental school. I just interview at Travis AFB for the AEGD program and when I walked in the clinic I had tears in my eyes. I felt at home again and I can not wait to be reunited with all my dental friends and mentors in the Air Force. Again, thank you for taking the time to answer all our questions..it's very much appreciated.

My question: How typical do AEGD applicants get their first choice? or top choices?

The base that is my first choice is very popular among us applicants. How do they select students?

Applicants are rank ordered at the board. AFPC uses that ranking and some other information to place applicants at AEGD locations. They work hard to get you something in your top 3 choices.

Thanks for all your post an replies they have been helpful. When were you at Lackland AFB? I have 12 yrs of service including my HPSP. I was a USAF dental assistant for 9 years and was stationed at Lackland AFB my first year in the service so thats why I ask when you were there. I assisted the 2 year AEGD program and occasionally pulled call for Dunn dental clinic so I had some great training as an assistant there. I never realized how much I love the military life until my first year of dental school. I just interview at Travis AFB for the AEGD program and when I walked in the clinic I had tears in my eyes. I felt at home again and I can not wait to be reunited with all my dental friends and mentors in the Air Force. Again, thank you for taking the time to answer all our questions..it's very much appreciated.

My question: How typical do AEGD applicants get their first choice? or top choices?

The base that is my first choice is very popular among us applicants. How do they select students?

I read on an AF memo that HPSP graduates are only allowed to apply to certain AF residency programs. Is that correct?

Which residencies are they?

Do the residencies HPSP grads can apply to change from year to year?

Is it possible to find out which residencies will be available to, say, the Class of 2013?

If an HPSP student were able get approval to do a civilian residency, would they just owe their original 3 or 4 year payback commitment, or would the civilian residency add commitment?

Thanks!

You can't apply to ortho or endo. All others are fair game.

The civilian residency question is tricky. In order to delay coming on active duty to attend a civilian program you must work through AFPC and the consultant for that specialty and get permission to do it. If allow to delay to complete your program, you only owe the time for the HPSP.
I read on an AF memo that HPSP graduates are only allowed to apply to certain AF residency programs. Is that correct?

Which residencies are they?

Do the residencies HPSP grads can apply to change from year to year?

Is it possible to find out which residencies will be available to, say, the Class of 2013?

If an HPSP student were able get approval to do a civilian residency, would they just owe their original 3 or 4 year payback commitment, or would the civilian residency add commitment?

Thanks!

I'm not sure where to post this so I apologize in advance if it is in the wrong forum..a little background on me, I have 6 years active duty service in the army and a Bachelors degree in Information Techology Management and I'm about to start my second semester in Nursing School. I'm not entirely sure yet that Nursing is the profession for me, and I've been drawn to Dentistry for awhile but have shyed away from it because of my age, I'm 31, so by the time I would finish Dental school I'll be almost 40 years old. I also have a strong interest to go back into the military, I really miss it. I also don't have alot of Biology or Chemistry classes finished, so that is also going to delay entry into the military and into Dental School if I decide to go that route...I know that to be competitive for Dental School you need to have at least a 3.5 G.P.A, (Is the G.P.A, calcuated by science courses or overall) have a good score on the Dental Exam and the GRE, and volunteer in the community and shadow a Dentist, was there anything else that would make me more competitive? Also does anyone have suggestions for an accelerated Dental Program. As far as the military goes, do they have any funding far as students are concerned, I'm aware of the HPSP, but don't know alot about it thanks in advance, and I apologize again if I posted in the wrong place..

I went to dental school with people over 40. Its not too late.

No accelerated programs. A 4-year HPSP will cover 4 years of tuition and fees for dental school. GPA is calculated as overall. Contact a recruiter and they will give you all the specifics.

I'm not sure where to post this so I apologize in advance if it is in the wrong forum..a little background on me, I have 6 years active duty service in the army and a Bachelors degree in Information Techology Management and I'm about to start my second semester in Nursing School. I'm not entirely sure yet that Nursing is the profession for me, and I've been drawn to Dentistry for awhile but have shyed away from it because of my age, I'm 31, so by the time I would finish Dental school I'll be almost 40 years old. I also have a strong interest to go back into the military, I really miss it. I also don't have alot of Biology or Chemistry classes finished, so that is also going to delay entry into the military and into Dental School if I decide to go that route...I know that to be competitive for Dental School you need to have at least a 3.5 G.P.A, (Is the G.P.A, calcuated by science courses or overall) have a good score on the Dental Exam and the GRE, and volunteer in the community and shadow a Dentist, was there anything else that would make me more competitive? Also does anyone have suggestions for an accelerated Dental Program. As far as the military goes, do they have any funding far as students are concerned, I'm aware of the HPSP, but don't know alot about it thanks in advance, and I apologize again if I posted in the wrong place..

Sorry, didn't see your question. The number for this year isn't set yet. Last year it was around 30 and I would expect it will be close to that again this year.

AFDDS,

I am very interested in applying for the AF scholarship, but am worried that my chances are extremely thin, seeing that only (approx.) 30 3-year scholarships will be awarded and only (approx.) 5 4-year scholarships will be awarded. Do you by chance have any info on the total number of applicants who apply for these scholarships so I can know my odds? Thanks so much!

AFDDS,

I am very interested in applying for the AF scholarship, but am worried that my chances are extremely thin, seeing that only (approx.) 30 3-year scholarships will be awarded and only (approx.) 5 4-year scholarships will be awarded. Do you by chance have any info on the total number of applicants who apply for these scholarships so I can know my odds? Thanks so much!
It varies from year to year, but it's not uncommon to have 100+ applicants.

I heard that for students entering (or hoping to) Fall 2011, that they won't really look at your application until you have an offer of acceptance. Is this accurate?

I heard that for students entering (or hoping to) Fall 2011, that they won't really look at your application until you have an offer of acceptance. Is this accurate?

Not true. You need to apply long before you have a letter of acceptance.

Not true. You need to apply long before you have a letter of acceptance.

With this in mind, where should I be at in the application cycle? When do things start happening after sending in the application? What is the typical timeline for decisions etc...

I had a couple of quick questions about the AEGD residency programs:

1. Where are the AEGD residency programs located for the air force?

2. How difficult is it to be accepted to one of these programs if you are selected for the HPSP program?

3. Are these residencies added on time to your "pay back" period?

thanks!

With this in mind, where should I be at in the application cycle? When do things start happening after sending in the application? What is the typical timeline for decisions etc...

You should have it in soon. I don't know for sure when they will have the board, but it is usually just after the fiscal year begins.

I had a couple of quick questions about the AEGD residency programs:

1. Where are the AEGD residency programs located for the air force?

2. How difficult is it to be accepted to one of these programs if you are selected for the HPSP program?

3. Are these residencies added on time to your "pay back" period?

thanks!

Langley, VA
Bolling/Andrews, DC/MD
Eglin, FL
Keesler, MS
Wright-Patterson, OH
Scott, IL
Sheppard, TX
Barksdale, LA
Lackland, TX (2-year)
Nellis, NV
USAF Academy, CO
Travis, CA
Elmendorf, AK

2. They are competitive. We have 83 slots and will have 100+ apply

3. Look back through the thread to see about payback. They are a neutral year.