Ask an Air Force Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i know i might be early to talk about this since im just starting college but i was wondering how many people does the Air Force take for HPSP? I always had a passion for Dentistry and the Air Force and i feel this can make 2 dreams possible at the same time. I talked to my parents and was wondering hypothetically where a person might be stationed if they finish dental school and commit for the Air Force. Would it be in their State of Residency or a different country?

Members don't see this ad.

i know i might be early to talk about this since im just starting college but i was wondering how many people does the Air Force take for HPSP? I always had a passion for Dentistry and the Air Force and i feel this can make 2 dreams possible at the same time. I talked to my parents and was wondering hypothetically where a person might be stationed if they finish dental school and commit for the Air Force. Would it be in their State of Residency or a different country?
If you read through this thread, most of this will be answered in more detail.

The number of HPSP scholarships given out each year will vary by need. Last year we only gave out 5 4-year scholarships. Not sure of the number this year. The 3-year number can be as high as 50.

Duty locations available will vary by the needs of the Air Force. You could be stationed in the U.S. or at a base in another country.

I am going to call my base and find out what this means for me tomorrow, but what do you think will happen? Will my assignment be changed?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to call my base and find out what this means for me tomorrow, but what do you think will happen? Will my assignment be changed?

Sorry to hear that endo got you on the WREB bud. Blame it on Makins and Dorn.

out-service ortho residency on the horizon?

all seriousness aside, you can technically practice without a state license in the military for up to a year, but I would confirm it with people making decisions in your case...

It's highly unlikely your assignment will be changed. By Air Force instruction, you must have your license within 18 months of arrival at your first duty station.

My advice is to continue to study and challenge it again at your first opportunity. You will have supervised privileges until you have a license.

Hello AFDDS,

I am graduating next year (c/o 2011) and became interested in AF AEGD program. I am not HPSP student, but I would like to do 1yr AEGD and 3 yrs of active duty. I contacted the recruiter in my region and had a short conversation about it. But ever since then I can not get hold of him to initiate the application process. I am wondering if all the next year spots for AF AEGD are already filled..If not, how should I start the process if I can't get hold of the recruiter?

Hello AFDDS,

I am graduating next year (c/o 2011) and became interested in AF AEGD program. I am not HPSP student, but I would like to do 1yr AEGD and 3 yrs of active duty. I contacted the recruiter in my region and had a short conversation about it. But ever since then I can not get hold of him to initiate the application process. I am wondering if all the next year spots for AF AEGD are already filled..If not, how should I start the process if I can't get hold of the recruiter?
The spots are not filled yet. We usually hold a few slots for non-hpsp students, just in case. Contact the recruiting service at their national number and let them know you cannot reach your local recruiter.

They haven't started interviewing for the 2011 AEGD spots yet, have they? I think we all got an email a while back saying it's coming soon...but haven't heard anything.

It has minimal to no effect. In March, prior to the Hinman meeting, you will be given a list of openings. You will rank order them and turn them in to AFPC. At the Hinman, you will get a presentation on what bases were popular and which ones weren't. You will have some time to tweak or not to tweak your preference list and you will find out where you are going in April.

When base has an opening, the commander will let AFPC know the skill set they are looking for. So, if a base needs someone to do extractions or endo, etc.... they will let AFPC know and it will be on the list for you to see when making your preference list. If you are strong in surgery, you will be considered along with everyone else that is strong in surgery for the openings requesting that skill set. Same goes for other skill sets.

Will we be able to see if more than one position is open for each base so my wife (AF dentist as well) and I will be able to choose the same ones?

AFDDS,
My recruiter had me commissioned and submitted my final paperwork about 10 days ago and we still haven't received my orders. I'm getting a bit concerned because I've already moved into my apartment near my base and we're getting closer to my COT date on 28 June. Each day that passes, I get a little more uneasy because several things involved with relocating and rent seem to be dependent on me having my orders.
I'm likely worrying too much, but any idea you may have of a delay like this will make me feel better. I appreciate it.

It's funny how things work out when you really need them. I just got word that my orders are in. Thanks, AFDDS, for your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will we be able to see if more than one position is open for each base so my wife (AF dentist as well) and I will be able to choose the same ones?
Yes. Many of the bases will have more than one opening and our assignments officer will work with you and your spouse.

Ok, I was under the impression that the wrebs/nerbs were reimbursable since we are required to have a license. Is this not so.

Last edited:
AFDDS,
Thanks for your diligence with this forum-

I read elsewhere in the forum that you will be more likely to go overseas if you do an AEGD-1.

I am a 3 yr HPSP and my wife and I are interested in serving in Europe (Germany, England,). We have 3 kids. I do not know if I will accept the AEGD if offered, but it would help persuade the wife if we knew that doing a AEGD would help our chances of going to Europe.

Also- I was wondering how likely it would be to stay at your AEGD base for the remainder of your AD payback period.

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know a link to the air force uniform handbook.

It may help you only because some openings are held for AEGD residents. It doesn't guarantee it, but it won't hurt.

Don't do the residency because you want to go overseas. You'll be cheating yourself and your staff. Do it for the learning opportunity and look at a possible overseas assignment as a "benny".
AFDDS,
Thanks for your diligence with this forum-

I read elsewhere in the forum that you will be more likely to go overseas if you do an AEGD-1.

I am a 3 yr HPSP and my wife and I are interested in serving in Europe (Germany, England,). We have 3 kids. I do not know if I will accept the AEGD if offered, but it would help persuade the wife if we knew that doing a AEGD would help our chances of going to Europe.

Also- I was wondering how likely it would be to stay at your AEGD base for the remainder of your AD payback period.

Thanks in advance.

AFDDS,

I have several questions for you. I just graduated with a degree in Chemical Engineering and I will be going back to school this fall to complete more biology courses before applying to dental school. First question, I have already accumulated student loans from my first degree, if I was to get into dental school, would the HPSP also pay off these outstanding loans and if so how much? Also, is there a tuition limit that is placed on this scholarship for dental students? For example, say the dental school you are attending costs $55,000 per year. Would the HPSP pay for all that tuition or just up to a certain amount? Second question, if you joined the air force on the HPSP in your first year of dental school, then after you graduate does your base pay start out at the 4 year experience level as an O-3 or does it start off at the 2 years or less level? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JAR

AFDDS,

I have several questions for you. I just graduated with a degree in Chemical Engineering and I will be going back to school this fall to complete more biology courses before applying to dental school. First question, I have already accumulated student loans from my first degree, if I was to get into dental school, would the HPSP also pay off these outstanding loans and if so how much? Also, is there a tuition limit that is placed on this scholarship for dental students? For example, say the dental school you are attending costs $55,000 per year. Would the HPSP pay for all that tuition or just up to a certain amount? Second question, if you joined the air force on the HPSP in your first year of dental school, then after you graduate does your base pay start out at the 4 year experience level as an O-3 or does it start off at the 2 years or less level? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JAR

1. HPSP will not pay any of your outstanding loans. It will simply pay your tuition and fees, reimburse you for books and required instruments, pay you a monthly stipend of $2060, and give you a sign on bonus of $20,000 if you choose to take it. I am not aware of any military programs for health professionals that will pay money toward undergraduate loans.

2. HPSP will pay all of the tuition at even the most expensive school. They will not pay for extra classes that you decide to take beyond the regular curriculum (if you were crazy enough to take any), or any classes toward an additional degree in a dual degree program.

3. Time in HPSP does not count toward longevity pay, so you when you graduate, you will be an O-3 with >2 years. Also, time in HPSP will not count toward an active duty retirement, but can be counted toward a reserve retirement.

about how many patients a day do air force dentists see? If you are running behind on seeing patients is there someone who is on your back about it?

HPSP only covers dental school. It will not cover anything prior to that. There is no tuition limit, but some fees for non-required items will not be covered. Your pay will start as a Captain with less than 2 years.

AFDDS,

Thanks,
JAR

about how many patients a day do air force dentists see? If you are running behind on seeing patients is there someone who is on your back about it?
It varies. Everyone runs behind from time to time, but if you make a habit of it, it will get noticed.

My question is about rank. I have been in private practice for 7 years and also have prior service in the AF as enlisted and I am wondering if there is a chance I could commissioned as an O4. The Navy seems to think they could get me in at that rank, but I am unsure about how life would be in the Navy.

Also is it hard to get the Health Loan Repayment option or is it pretty much a given if you want to
serve the extra years? I have had my own office since I was out of school 7 years ago and it has not been all it's cracked up to be. I want to join and serve and retire.

Also, if I have about a 2.8 GPA from dental school and a 3.8 from undergrad is there any chance of doing the two year program or any for that matter?
Just wondering what I could really expect.
Thanks for all the good posts from every body.

My question is about rank. I have been in private practice for 7 years and also have prior service in the AF as enlisted and I am wondering if there is a chance I could commissioned as an O4. The Navy seems to think they could get me in at that rank, but I am unsure about how life would be in the Navy.
You can get some constructive credit for your time as a practicing dentist. It is usually 1 year for every 2 in practice. Therefore you would most likely receive 3.5 years of constructive credit. That would not be enough to get you Maj. Your prior service time as enlisted wouldn't help toward rank, but could help toward pay. Your local recruiter would be the best source to find out the specifics to your exact situation.

Also is it hard to get the Health Loan Repayment option or is it pretty much a given if you want to
serve the extra years? I have had my own office since I was out of school 7 years ago and it has not been all it's cracked up to be. I want to join and serve and retire.
It may or may not be available at the time you want to apply. Typically, you need to be on AD for 6 months before you can apply for it.

Also, if I have about a 2.8 GPA from dental school and a 3.8 from undergrad is there any chance of doing the two year program or any for that matter?
There is always a chance. We look at the whole person, so we would take more into consideration than your GPA.

Just wondering what I could really expect.
Thanks for all the good posts from every body.
Contacting a recruiter would be a good idea at this point. Our retention has been good the last few years and the number of non-hpsp accessions the AF is taking varies from year to year. Sometimes the number is very low. If the quota is filled, its very hard to get in this fiscal year.

Thanks AFDDS,
The recruiter I have talked with doesn't seem to be very helpful. Maybe its because he said there are really no positions available for me right now. I am wanting to find out what the bonus pay is for dentists. If I am O3 and join, is there a signing bonus or just extra pay we get yearly? Then I know I could apply later for the HPLRP. I am trying to figure out living expenses and what a budget would look like. The recruiter told me he thought it was like 20,000 or 30,000 a year.
Can you clearify what it currently is?
I know the Navy is giving 75,000 up front as a signing bonus. If I take that and later get the HPLRP then I wouldn't be able to get a new signing bonus until after I pay all the years back. So, if the AF extra money is a bonus, would I be out that bonus while paying back the HPLRP too? I was hoping it was just standard extra pay for dentists.

As to my post earlier, what kind of time frame could I expect before being considered for O4 since I have the 7 years experience?

Thank you for your help earlier!

One more question,
Would three 3.5 years of constructive credit count towards the DASP or the VSP amounts? That would make them go up nicely:)

Thanks AFDDS,
The recruiter I have talked with doesn't seem to be very helpful. Maybe its because he said there are really no positions available for me right now. I am wanting to find out what the bonus pay is for dentists. If I am O3 and join, is there a signing bonus or just extra pay we get yearly? Then I know I could apply later for the HPLRP. I am trying to figure out living expenses and what a budget would look like. The recruiter told me he thought it was like 20,000 or 30,000 a year.
Can you clearify what it currently is?
I know the Navy is giving 75,000 up front as a signing bonus. If I take that and later get the HPLRP then I wouldn't be able to get a new signing bonus until after I pay all the years back. So, if the AF extra money is a bonus, would I be out that bonus while paying back the HPLRP too? I was hoping it was just standard extra pay for dentists.

As to my post earlier, what kind of time frame could I expect before being considered for O4 since I have the 7 years experience?

Thank you for your help earlier!
I'm not sure the AF has an accession bonus for general dentists at this time. HPLRP is ~$40K per year for 2 years at this time.

So... My prior time would count not only toward base pay, but also for the special pay figures? They seem to go up nicely after 3 years.

Thanks

Anyone know when they plan to make their decisions for the OS program? I remember it was supposed to be around this time so that if they "defer" you...you have time to get into the match.

how many women are there in the dent program in AF? and in the AF in general? i am a woman and am seriously considering joining AF to pay for dental school, but i would prefer not to be the only one :)

I believe the board was held today.

oh awesome, do you happen to know when and how they contact people? I'm assuming they wouldn't contact you on the same day they actually meet...but at the same time they can't hold out forever...The only date I remember hearing is "july 9th"..but wasn't sure exactly what happened that day.

how many women are there in the dent program in AF? and in the AF in general? i am a woman and am seriously considering joining AF to pay for dental school, but i would prefer not to be the only one :)
You won't be the only one, but I don't know a number.

oh awesome, do you happen to know when and how they contact people? I'm assuming they wouldn't contact you on the same day they actually meet...but at the same time they can't hold out forever...The only date I remember hearing is "july 9th"..but wasn't sure exactly what happened that day.
Don't know for sure, but it shouldn't be long.

I am a 4th year dental student applying to OMFS. I have considered the possibility of joining the air force once I begin a civilian residency. The additional funds would take some of the stress out of residency and I feel like I owe something back to my country for the opportunities it has provided me. My main concern is the amount of time I may have to spend away from my wife and by that time, my children. Is there any way to know that going in? I wouldn't mind being stationed in another country as long as my family could live on base as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I am a 4th year dental student applying to OMFS. I have considered the possibility of joining the air force once I begin a civilian residency. The additional funds would take some of the stress out of residency and I feel like I owe something back to my country for the opportunities it has provided me. My main concern is the amount of time I may have to spend away from my wife and by that time, my children. Is there any way to know that going in? I wouldn't mind being stationed in another country as long as my family could live on base as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
There are very few bases you are required to be without family and you have to volunteer to go to them.

The USAF 2-year comprehensive dentistry residency and USUHS have collaborated to offer our residents a Master of Science in Oral Biology. Residents graduating this summer are the first to be offered this opportunity.

AFDDS,
I am currently working with a recruiter for the 3yr HPSP.
1. From your experience how likely is a deployment with a 3yr active duty repayment?
2. Is the 20mth/4mth deployment rotation still the current system? If so, does this mean you must deploy 4 out of every 20 mths?
3. What bases deploy more than others or less than others? Has the system changed with the consulting deployment system you discussed earlier in the thread?
4. Throughout your career have you EVER seen an AF Dentist called out of in-active reserves (or active reserves whichever completes your 8 year commitment, can you clarify) after their 3 or 4yr repayment is completed?

Thank you for your time this thread has been very beneficial. I apologize if any of these questions have already been addressed.

AFDDS,
I am currently working with a recruiter for the 3yr HPSP.
1. From your experience how likely is a deployment with a 3yr active duty repayment? No more likely than anyone else.
2. Is the 20mth/4mth deployment rotation still the current system? If so, does this mean you must deploy 4 out of every 20 mths? No. Most deployments are now 6 months. You may go 20 months and you may go 4 years between deployments, it just depends.
3. What bases deploy more than others or less than others? Has the system changed with the consulting deployment system you discussed earlier in the thread? Anyone can deploy now and the wealth has been spread
4. Throughout your career have you EVER seen an AF Dentist called out of in-active reserves (or active reserves whichever completes your 8 year commitment, can you clarify) after their 3 or 4yr repayment is completed?NO

Thank you for your time this thread has been very beneficial. I apologize if any of these questions have already been addressed.

Deployment is a possibility in any branch these days. I found my deployment to be very rewarding and it wasn't as big of a drain on my family as I had expected. Don't get too worried about deploying. If you do, consider not joining.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Health Professions Scholarship signing bonus of $20,000 is only offered in the Naval and Army branches of the military? My financial aid advisor said that the Airforce does not offer the signing bonus. Is this correct?

Does anyone know if the Health Professions Scholarship signing bonus of $20,000 is only offered in the Naval and Army branches of the military? My financial aid advisor said that the Airforce does not offer the signing bonus. Is this correct?

This is correct. The Air Force does not offer the $20,000 bonus but the Army and Navy do (after taxes I think it's usually about $16,000 anyway). It's so competitive to get the Air Force HPSP that they probably just don't need to offer it since that seems to be most people's first choice. That was my guess when I applied but I wanted the Air Force regardless of the extra money so I went for it and got it. I very likely would not have done it with another branch. Don't worry about the money, go with the branch you feel most comfortable. Other than that, as far as I know, the scholarships (in terms of $) are virtually identical between Army, Navy and AF.

Deployment is a possibility in any branch these days. I found my deployment to be very rewarding and it wasn't as big of a drain on my family as I had expected. Don't get too worried about deploying. If you do, consider not joining.

I just want to add a quick one about deployments. Deployments do stink, no matter whether you mind doing them or not. I have deployed twice since 9/11. I've enjoyed some elements and hated others. BUT, as AFDDS said, they can be rewarding especially from the medical / dental perspective because you are helping, not making things worse for people. As far as being away from families, you adjust. Everyone gets into their routines. Life goes on for you and for your family. One day goes by. Then another. Then a week. Then a month. Soon enough, it is time to head home. It seems like forever while you are on deployment, but when it is time to go home, wow, it wasn't that bad and it went by faster than you thought it would. The best thing --- seeing your family after 6+ months away. If you have a good, loving relationship with your family, then the day you get to see them again is such an awesome day. You will truly appreciate your loved ones!

I wouldn't worry about deploying should it happen. Most people don't want to deploy, but when you do you will develop an apprecaition for those you serve with and will develop an appreciation for those who keeps the fires buring on the homefront.

If deployments scare you, you don't think you can handle them, or you just don't want to deploy, then as AFDDS mentioned - think about your decision about joining.

Reactions: 1 user
This is correct. The Air Force does not offer the $20,000 bonus but the Army and Navy do (after taxes I think it's usually about $16,000 anyway). It's so competitive to get the Air Force HPSP that they probably just don't need to offer it since that seems to be most people's first choice. That was my guess when I applied but I wanted the Air Force regardless of the extra money so I went for it and got it. I very likely would not have done it with another branch. Don't worry about the money, go with the branch you feel most comfortable. Other than that, as far as I know, the scholarships (in terms of $) are virtually identical between Army, Navy and AF.

Thanks BoomerSooner10

So why is the Airforce most people's first choice? Is it that much better of a branch than the other two? And what type of numbers/credentials would you consider to be competative for a Airforce Health Professions scholarship?

Thanks BoomerSooner10

So why is the Airforce most people's first choice? Is it that much better of a branch than the other two? And what type of numbers/credentials would you consider to be competative for a Airforce Health Professions scholarship?
Can't say for sure what will be competitive, but you need a 3.5 GPA and a 19 on your DAT to get started.