Atlantic Bridge 2018 entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone else's life been revolving around Irish business hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone else's life been revolving around Irish business hours?

I’m on a night shift right now. Hoping I’ll be waking up to a “Dear Applicant, congratulations!...” email this evening. So kind of

Reactions: 1 user
I’m on a night shift right now. Hoping I’ll be waking up to a “Dear Applicant, congratulations!...” email this evening. So kind of
It would really be the best thing to wake up to ever. I've been waking up multiple times every night to check my email lol

Members don't see this ad :)
It would really be the best thing to wake up to ever. I've been waking up multiple times every night to check my email lol

Man, I’ve literally woken up from a melatonin induced dead sleep after hearing my phone beep in the middle of the night thinking it’s ABP. Only to later find out the email was from someone saying my inheritance has come through from a Nigerian prince and I have to give them my credit card to collect the funds :dead:

Man, I’ve literally woken up from a melatonin induced dead sleep after hearing my phone beep in the middle of the night thinking it’s ABP. Only to later find out the email was from someone saying my inheritance has come through from a Nigerian prince and I have to give them my credit card to collect the funds :dead:
Haha ouch!

got accepted to UCD gem!!!!! :) Best of luck everyone

Reactions: 2 users
I just got accepted to UCD! I will be declining as I already miraculously got 2 acceptances here and just deposited yesterday.

Good luck guys, wasn’t expecting that! 3.75/3.62 504

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations ! Can you post stats please ?
Hey! UG: 3.4 gpa, 510 mcat, MSc 4.0 gpa
However, I don't actually know anyone who goes to UCD firsthand. Could anyone give their experience or why I should go to UCD?

got accepted to UCD gem!!!!! :) Best of luck everyone

Congrats! regarding the email you received from UCD last week, was it sent directly from a UCD address or through the ABP?

I just got accepted to UCD! I will be declining as I already miraculously got 2 acceptances here and just deposited yesterday.

Good luck guys, wasn’t expecting that! 3.75/3.62 504

If you could just go ahead and forward that acceptance to me, that’d be great :p

Congrats! regarding the email you received from UCD last week, was it sent directly from a UCD address or through the ABP?
it was ucd admissions, not atlantic bridge

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be honest in admitting my discomfort with the uncertainty surrounding the admissions process via the ABP, although that feeling is somewhat alleviated after researching the program's legitimacy with regard to its function in communicating applications with the schools (e.g., each school directs international applicants to the ABP on their respective websites, students are obviously accepted via the ABP and matriculate to these schools, so forth). With that said, I decided to call the office and ask why some students received an application acknowledgment from UCD last week and how that relates to the offers UCD has sent out today; according to Zachary, the process by which UCD can extend an acceptance first requires that the application be registered in their general applicant portal and that, although only a few students received an application acknowledgment, all of the applications destined for UCD via the ABP are in fact received and under consideration. Again, I've found myself a little uneasy here and there with the current situation, but I hope that the explanation sets similarly curious minds at ease as it has done for myself.

If you could just go ahead and forward that acceptance to me, that’d be great :p

I will send you every good vibe I can muster!! Best of luck, I would TOTALLY go if moving my kitties to Ireland over 1 state over from where I deposited made logistical and financial sense. (I have bengals, they’re basically my children)

So sorry, but I just need to confirm - Am I correct in assuming we will most likely not be hearing from NUI Galway and TCD until mid-April? It seems the schools are releasing their decisions one at a time... also, do all the schools do first, second and third rounds or is this subjective?

I feel like this has been asked before, but at this rate even a general guideline would help my sanity! :)

hypothetically, if i were to decline my ucc acceptance offer, with a 3.3 gpa and 505 mcat, would that put me at better standing with ucd or rcsi? i know atlantic bridge denies that recieving an offer from one school affects your chances at other schools but past threads seem to definitely reflect that it does matter.

hypothetically, if i were to decline my ucc acceptance offer, with a 3.3 gpa and 505 mcat, would that put me at better standing with ucd or rcsi? i know atlantic bridge denies that recieving an offer from one school affects your chances at other schools but past threads seem to definitely reflect that it does matter.
If you interviewed at RCSI and have not been rejected then you have a chance to receive an offer if you decline UCC.
One one hand, if your heart isn't at UCC why go there for 4 years?
On the other, do you want to risk not getting into any school?

If you interviewed at RCSI and have not been rejected then you have a chance to receive an offer if you decline UCC.
One one hand, if your heart isn't at UCC why go there for 4 years?
On the other, do you want to risk not getting into any school?
I guess i just have this image in my head that dublin is better. but i haven't interviewed at RCSI and would much rather go to med school than take a year off so I think I'll be accepting. Thanks for the advice man!

So sorry, but I just need to confirm - Am I correct in assuming we will most likely not be hearing from NUI Galway and TCD until mid-April? It seems the schools are releasing their decisions one at a time... also, do all the schools do first, second and third rounds or is this subjective?

I feel like this has been asked before, but at this rate even a general guideline would help my sanity! :)
That is what my ABP contact told me- that no decisions had been released from NUIG or TCD yet and to expect it sometime mid April.

lol I would really like to hear back from UCD. Fingers crossed that they let me know before April 6th!!!

I accepted my offer to ucd! To all those waiting.. The day after you hit rock bottom may be the best day of your life. Just keep working at it and the right thing for you will happen

I accepted my offer to ucd! To all those waiting.. The day after you hit rock bottom may be the best day of your life. Just keep working at it and the right thing for you will happen

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Usually when a string of disappointing things happen, a good change is on the horizon. That's from my experience anyway.

For you guys who received UCD offers congratz and wish the best for the others who are waiting!
And did you have interviews or it was just direct acceptances?

For you guys who received UCD offers congratz and wish the best for the others who are waiting!
And did you have interviews or it was just direct acceptances?
Direct acceptance

Hey everyone,

I'm an Irish med school grad and matched back to North America. I can see theres a lot of questions regarding the whole process. Let me know if you have any questions about literally anything at all! Best of luck to those applying and congrats to those who have received acceptances.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone ever been ignored by ABP? I've sent them multiple emails a few weeks ago about adding another school to my application but never hear back from them.

Hey everyone,

I'm an Irish med school grad and matched back to North America. I can see theres a lot of questions regarding the whole process. Let me know if you have any questions about literally anything at all! Best of luck to those applying and congrats to those who have received acceptances.

Hey thanks for coming here :)

Do you know any Canadians who matched back to Canada? If they didn't match back where did they go?

Also what's your favourite thing about living in Ireland?

Thanks!

Hey there,

Yes, there are plenty every year- and, there are a ton that match to the US too. For exact placements and locations, atlantic bridge's website has a list of residency placements. That'll give you a good idea. Albeit, some don't match due to various reasons.

Favorite thing is definitely the social scene. No matter where you are, there are pubs and restaurants galore. Ireland has a very young population so everywhere is vibrant. Plus, the proximity to mainland Europe is a huge bonus. The Irish are truly the most hospitable and people you will meet and you'll always find things to do and not be bored (at all).

Hey there,

Yes, there are plenty every year- and, there are a ton that match to the US too. For exact placements and locations, atlantic bridge's website has a list of residency placements. That'll give you a good idea. Albeit, some don't match due to various reasons.

Favorite thing is definitely the social scene. No matter where you are, there are pubs and restaurants galore. Ireland has a very young population so everywhere is vibrant. Plus, the proximity to mainland Europe is a huge bonus. The Irish are truly the most hospitable and people you will meet and you'll always find things to do and not be bored (at all).
What happens those that do not match?

Sorry, never really answered the one part of your question. Those that don't match basically just try again the following year. Most will do research at an institution, up their CV (with said research), and try and make contacts. In the past, students would stay in Ireland; but, as of a few years ago, it is now very, very difficult to get an intern job unless you have EU citizenship (and even that is getting more difficult since Irish students are placed preferentially).

Some also apply for residency in the UK (unsure how the whole Brexit thing will influence this), Malta (which is a UK foundation AKA residency program), and Singapore. I don't know too much on the details of those, though.

Hey! So I just heard back from AB who said that all first round offers for UCD, UCC, and RCSI are out (4,5, and 6 year). NUIG is still under review and should be coming out late March/early April. UCD second rounds are coming out mid-April :) good luck to everyone! If anyone has any advice on if I should accept my RCSI offer or hope for a UCD second round let me know!

Hey everyone,

Thanks for posting! Where did you match to? And where all did you apply to for residency? (Was the residency you obtained your 1st, 2nd... choice?)

Thanks for posting! Where did you match to? And where all did you apply to for residency? (Was the residency you obtained your 1st, 2nd... choice?)

Fortunately, I managed to match in to a mid/high competitive speciality! My residency choice was my number 1, and most students do (and always should!) apply to both the US and Canada.

Edit: Grammar

Last edited:
If it’s of any help to anyone I got my RCSI acceptance for the 5/6 year program on Monday (the 13th of March) conditionally assuming I maintain an 85 average but I’ve already finished all my courses with above that so I’m not worried. I was wondering if anyone knew when you generally hear back from UCD or any of the other 6 year programs because RCSI wants a (hefty) deposit by 21 days after your email of acceptance and I don’t want to accept before I’ve considered all my options
Hey, I'm in the exact situation your in although I also applied to NUIG

hello, I have been accepted to UCD six-year medicine program but am having trouble getting loans since i don't have a cosigner. Any suggestions?

hello, I have been accepted to UCD six-year medicine program but am having trouble getting loans since i don't have a cosigner. Any suggestions?
congrats! I have applied to UCD and NUIG and I am waiting for their response. I was wondering when did you get your letter/email of acceptance?

Hey everyone,

Hi! Did you study at UCC?

Hey guys! How are you all doing, I everything is going well. I not long ago received an offer of admission for UCD School of Medicine. As a Canadian citizen, I am really interested in knowing what the residency match rate was for Canada or the US in 2017. If anyone can tell me anything about this, it would be highly appreciated!

Hey guys! How are you all doing, I everything is going well. I not long ago received an offer of admission for UCD School of Medicine. As a Canadian citizen, I am really interested in knowing what the residency match rate was for Canada or the US in 2017. If anyone can tell me anything about this, it would be highly appreciated!

Congrats on the acceptance!

It's tough to speculate an exact match rate. I hate to not give you an exact number or percentage, because it does vary between schools and graduation year. I would say it hovers around 75%, but that is a very rough estimate and does fluctuate year-to-year with many, many variables. In 2017, the reported match rate was an estimated 79% for all Irish schools; however, this didn't include the second round of CaRMS matched.

A lot of the people that do apply to match end up doing so- but not all. And this is for many reasons. At the same time, a lot of North Americans don't apply for the match altogether for various reasons as well.

Hi! Did you study at UCC?
Congrats on the acceptance!

It's tough to speculate an exact match rate. I hate to not give you an exact number or percentage, because it does vary between schools and graduation year. I would say it hovers around 75%, but that is a very rough estimate and does fluctuate year-to-year with many, many variables. In 2017, the reported match rate was an estimated 79% for all Irish schools; however, this didn't include the second round of CaRMS matched.

A lot of the people that do apply to match end up doing so- but not all. And this is for many reasons. At the same time, a lot of North Americans don't apply for the match altogether for various reasons as well..

Alright, good to know, thanks for the quick reply!

Your federal government, province, or state may be able to give you some student loans. Hopefully if they cover some loans, they banks will be more forgiving in giving you a loan if its for less money.