Atlantic Bridge 2018 entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i got accepted to the 6 year program even though I've done 2 years of undergraduate is anyone else in the same position? or is everyone out of high school there? also, do you know if after the first year we mix with the 5 year programs?
May i ask what school u got accepted into? I am a highschool student that applied to the 6 year program

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Can someone tell me if I have a chance ... I applied late March 1st.

GPA- 3.70 (pharmacology degree)
MCAT - 1st one (506) second one (499)

Currently doing a masters degree - current GPA is 3.3

A Lot of research experience - 300 hours volunteering at hospital, 200 shadowing, 300 community service - alot of leadership positions (2 president positions and 1 vice president)

Sounds like you have a good shot at UL or any of the schools secondary picks. Definitely apply next year if you dont get in this year !

Reactions: 1 user
So far I've gathered that people have been hearing back from UCC for acceptances, RCSI for acceptances and Interviews and UL for interviews. Has anybody heard back from NUI-G or UCD ?
I just talked to a rep from Atlantic Bridge and he said NUIG won't start until mid April...
He also said that you don't get to select 6 year, 5 year, 4 year etc. that the school will look at your application and decide if you get in, which type of program is right for you (if the school offers different lengths of med).

I just talked to a rep from Atlantic Bridge and he said NUIG won't start until mid April...
He also said that you don't get to select 6 year, 5 year, 4 year etc. that the school will look at your application and decide if you get in, which type of program is right for you (if the school offers different lengths of med).

Cool, thanks for clearing things up! How's your app cycle going?

Haven't heard back from anywhere yet, but TCD and NUIG haven't seemed to send anything out yet, so just "patiently" waiting.

Same here, I applied to RCSI, Trinity, UCC, UCD, and NUIG. Nothing but silence so far. I'm praying that all of us get into our top pick school! Hopefully something miraculous happens! :)

hey guys! so I'm just a little confused. Atlantic bridge said they sent all my applications out, and i received an offer back from rcsi, but i visited the UCD campus a few days back and they said they didnt get my application. It honestly doesn't really bother me because I visited the RCSI Campus as well and I personally prefer RCSI over UCD anyway, but I've read that this happened to a couple other applicants in previous forums, so just wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing? or if anyone knows whats going on?

hey guys! so I'm just a little confused. Atlantic bridge said they sent all my applications out, and i received an offer back from rcsi, but i visited the UCD campus a few days back and they said they didnt get my application. It honestly doesn't really bother me because I visited the RCSI Campus as well and I personally prefer RCSI over UCD anyway, but I've read that this happened to a couple other applicants in previous forums, so just wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing? or if anyone knows whats going on?

I believe Atlantic Bridge plays a much larger role in the selection process then they admit to. Obviously just speculation, but you are not the first to say that, and there have been acceptances given for schools that were not selected by applicants.

Who answered your question at UCD? Without knowing the precise machinations of their admissions process, I would think that the answer you received was the result of the admissions process - for instance, a general university admissions representative may not be privy to the application of an AB Program student, which may be restricted to their school of medicine. Just a thought.

Thanks! Timestamp was 3:30pm today
I believe they will be sending invites all through this week
Deadline to confirm an interview date is March 18

Was that EST, PST, or somewhere in between? I live on the east coast (Florida) and I am trying to get an idea of when I could expect an email to arrive (should I receive one, fingers crossed). Reading through previous threads, I get the impression that the AB office communicates such messages (e.g., interview offers, acceptances) in the afternoon PST, suggesting I should compulsively check my email well into the early evening.

Do you guys know when UCD starts sending out acceptances?

I've read through the grapevine that schools have communications with each other and will decide amongst themselves where you will receive an offer to. This may be completely rumor but nonetheless someone has said it in the past.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know when UCD starts sending out acceptances?

From reading past threads I've seen that UCD typically sends out letters around late march to mid april. This timeline is subject to change though; depending on how many international seats are available and when the school decided to release their decisions.

That is horrifying. Did you talk to Atlantic bridge about it?

Was that EST, PST, or somewhere in between? I live on the east coast (Florida) and I am trying to get an idea of when I could expect an email to arrive (should I receive one, fingers crossed). Reading through previous threads, I get the impression that the AB office communicates such messages (e.g., interview offers, acceptances) in the afternoon PST, suggesting I should compulsively check my email well into the early evening.
Mountain time, so 7:30pm where you're at

Anyone hear of someone getting accepted at UCC while waiting for their UL interview? If it's similar to last year, people should start hearing from UCC next week and the interview isn't until mid april for UL. I really like both of these schools and wouldn't hesitate to accept the first offer given

Anyone hear of someone getting accepted at UCC while waiting for their UL interview? If it's similar to last year, people should start hearing from UCC next week and the interview isn't until mid april for UL. I really like both of these schools and wouldn't hesitate to accept the first offer given

Ditto, if I get an acceptance they're going to get their deposit so fast it'll make their heads spin.

Reactions: 2 users
Just received an acceptance to UCC - GEM :) . SO EXCITED!! Good luck everyone. Crossing my fingers for you all.

Reactions: 6 users
GUYS! I'm jumping with joy - just got an acceptance to UCC-GEM! It's like the bright light at the end of a long tunnel (after having applied to Canadian and US med schools).

Also, can y'all tell me some good things about Cork? I was initially hoping for Dublin but an acceptance is an acceptance so I can't waaiit! I know a lot of you prefer Cork over Dublin so just hoping to hear why that is?

Reactions: 1 users
GUYS! I'm jumping with joy - just got an acceptance to UCC-GEM! It's like the bright light at the end of a long tunnel (after having applied to Canadian and US med schools).

Also, can y'all tell me some good things about Cork? I was initially hoping for Dublin but an acceptance is an acceptance so I can't waaiit! I know a lot of you prefer Cork over Dublin so just hoping to hear why that is?
Congrats!!

Got rejected from RCSI GEM after the interview. I haven't heard back from any of the other 3 schools at all though, UCD, UCC and Limerick. Should I still be on the lookout from those three?

Has anybody else heard from them yet?

Just got an offer of acceptance to UCC.

Now to decide between there or SGU.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to those of you who have been accepted thus far!

I have two questions for the people who have heard back today about UCC GEM.

1) Are you Canadian? I'm crossing my fingers that they have only announced for Canadians, not US citizens, similar to announcements in previous years.
2) Who is your designated admissions officer (i.e., the person who communicates with oneself via email that is not from the general admissions address)? Mine is Linda. I wasn't sure this was particularly relevant until a few moments ago when I spoke with her on the phone and she told me that UCC GEM had not announced first round acceptances - obviously a contradiction of the news posted herein and my first call to the AB office around 6:20 EST today.

I'm hoping that the conversation is an indication that there is still a possibility to hear something from UCC on Monday (I was told by Robert that that could happen) and that the school is particular in its approach to communicating acceptances with the AB office with regard to nationality and admissions officers or if it is the admissions officer who is responsible for communicating the message after its delivery to the AB office.

Congrats! No longer have to wait for that UL invite. Would definitely trade mine for a sure thing!

Thank you! I'm sure your interview will go amazingly.

1) Are you Canadian? I'm crossing my fingers that they have only announced for Canadians, not US citizens, similar to announcements in previous years.
2) Who is your designated admissions officer (i.e., the person who communicates with oneself via email that is not from the general admissions address)? Mine is Linda. I wasn't sure this was particularly relevant until a few moments ago when I spoke with her on the phone and she told me that UCC GEM had not announced first round acceptances - obviously a contradiction of the news posted herein and my first call to the AB office around 6:20 EST today.

I'm hoping that the conversation is an indication that there is still a possibility to hear something from UCC on Monday (I was told by Robert that that could happen) and that the school is particular in its approach to communicating acceptances with the AB office with regard to nationality and admissions officers or if it is the admissions officer who is responsible for communicating the message after its delivery to the AB office.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes I am Canadian.

2. The acceptance email came from a non admission officer email account and it's called "Admissions". Robert is the officer with who I have communicated with.

The admission letter says that our offers need to be accepted by April 6th so that waitlist students can be contacted if the offer is declined. Hope you hear back soon! UCD will also probably be out in the next week or two judging from previous years.

Sounds like you have a good shot at UL or any of the schools secondary picks. Definitely apply next year if you dont get in this year !
What about UCC and UCD and RCSI?

Just received an acceptance to UCC - GEM :) . SO EXCITED!! Good luck everyone. Crossing my fingers for you all.

Any of you mind sharing your stats with me ??

Did anyone else get an info email from ucd?

Any of you mind sharing your stats with me ??

I'm Canadian! Application complete feb. 16th I think and gpa of 3.2/4.0 (honours bio major) and 505 mcat, but I truly think it's my LORs and Extracurriculars that sealed the deal cause my stats are kinda below avg.

It's the weekend so maybe they didn't send everyone off the email other people are getting. Try not to sweat it, everyone ! It's also St. Patrick's Day so they might be busy!:D

What about UCC and UCD and RCSI?

I can't see why you're not competitive enough to receive an acceptance to those schools.

(If you want to compare stats)
I have a 4.0 GPA from my Paramedicine diploma, working as a medic for 2 years, 400 hours shadowing and 350 hours non-clinical volunteering. I have an academic LoR from a PhD Biologist, one from a doc, and 2 from other medics. My highschool marks were terrible and I graduated high school with a grade 12 avg at 75%

I can't see why you're not competitive enough to receive an acceptance to those schools.

I have a 4.0 GPA from my Paramedicine diploma, working as a medic for 2 years, 400 hours shadowing and 350 hours non-clinical volunteering. I have an academic LoR from a PhD Biologist, one from a doc, and 2 from other medics. My highschool marks were terrible and I graduated high school with a grade 12 avg at 75%
I graduated with something around 60% and had to upgrade to get into uni :D

I graduated with something around 60% and had to upgrade to get into uni :D

Well congratulations making it this far! Apparently if you have a certain amount of university credits ( I think enough to equal an academic semester or year ) they will look over your high school marks. If I don't receive an offer this year I'm going to have to crank out as many uni courses as I can.

I am just getting nervous - because i read some of the stats of people accepted last year and just started feeling depressed

I am just getting nervous - because i read some of the stats of people accepted last year and just started feeling depressed

It happens all the time. People with excellent stats get denied entry and people who are questionable get in. Remember though, Ireland looks at applications more holistically than schools in NA. So, if you have good extracurriculars and a good story to tell you'll do just fine! If you don't get in this year that's fine too. Just pick up where you left off, make your app better and learn from this cycle.

I know about this Surgeon who struggled through undergrad and the MCAT. His marks were 3.3-3.5gpa and his MCAT scores weren't competitive for NA. Every time he rewrote the MCAT he would do a little bit better. Eventually, after his 4-5 cycle he was accepted to an M.D. program. He never let his failures determine his future. Now he's the Chief of Surgery in an academic hospital. If you can't run, walk. If you can't walk, crawl. Just don't stop trying to improve your application if you're unsuccessful. This lengthy and stressful process will only attest to your character and your drive to want to be a physician. Have the right attitude and envision where you'll be once you get accepted. Think about studying in a castle, think about meeting new people. Stay focused on the positive outcome rather than the other possibility.

This is kind of relevant for the situation. So, when I speak to Psych patients who are feeling overwhelmed I often ask them this question: How do you eat an elephant? They get kind of confused and don't really understand. Well, when you're faced with a big task it's hard to decide where to start. Just like eating an elephant. Take it one bite at a time. Do only as much as you're able and nobody will ask more of you. We all need to just keep looking forward and hope for the best.

Reactions: 3 users
It happens all the time. People with excellent stats get denied entry and people who are questionable get in. Remember though, Ireland looks at applications more holistically than schools in NA. So, if you have good extracurriculars and a good story to tell you'll do just fine! If you don't get in this year that's fine too. Just pick up where you left off, make your app better and learn from this cycle.

I know about this Surgeon who struggled through undergrad and the MCAT. His marks were 3.3-3.5gpa and his MCAT scores weren't competitive for NA. Every time he rewrote the MCAT he would do a little bit better. Eventually, after his 4-5 cycle he was accepted to an M.D. program. He never let his failures determine his future. Now he's the Chief of Surgery in an academic hospital. If you can't run, walk. If you can't walk, crawl. Just don't stop trying to improve your application if you're unsuccessful. This lengthy and stressful process will only attest to your character and your drive to want to be a physician. Have the right attitude and envision where you'll be once you get accepted. Think about studying in a castle, think about meeting new people. Stay focused on the positive outcome rather than the other possibility.

This is kind of relevant for the situation. So, when I speak to Psych patients who are feeling overwhelmed I often ask them this question: How do you eat an elephant? They get kind of confused and don't really understand. Well, when you're faced with a big task it's hard to decide where to start. Just like eating an elephant. Take it one bite at a time. Do only as much as you're able and nobody will ask more of you. We all need to just keep looking forward and hope for the best.

Thank you so much ... your words are really motivating...

Hi everyone :) I have been following this post for a while now and finally decided to post! I received an offer to UCC yesterday, best of luck to everyone patiently waiting to hear back. If it helps all offers of acceptance have about a 3 week deadline where we are required to make a decision and pay a deposit - or else the offer goes to another applicant! I am in the process of debating whether or not to accept the offer - can anyone provide information regarding matching statistics for UCC for more recent years (2015-2017)?

I would like to know the same about UCC.. have received 5 year program offer too

If it’s of any help to anyone I got my RCSI acceptance for the 5/6 year program on Monday (the 13th of March) conditionally assuming I maintain an 85 average but I’ve already finished all my courses with above that so I’m not worried. I was wondering if anyone knew when you generally hear back from UCD or any of the other 6 year programs because RCSI wants a (hefty) deposit by 21 days after your email of acceptance and I don’t want to accept before I’ve considered all my options

Hi everyone :) I have been following this post for a while now and finally decided to post! I received an offer to UCC yesterday, best of luck to everyone patiently waiting to hear back. If it helps all offers of acceptance have about a 3 week deadline where we are required to make a decision and pay a deposit - or else the offer goes to another applicant! I am in the process of debating whether or not to accept the offer - can anyone provide information regarding matching statistics for UCC for more recent years (2015-2017)?

I’m pretty sure someone posted match rates per the schools earlier on in this thread. Also, check the UK & Ireland forum. There was a couple websites that had some useful information.

If it’s of any help to anyone I got my RCSI acceptance for the 5/6 year program on Monday (the 13th of March) conditionally assuming I maintain an 85 average but I’ve already finished all my courses with above that so I’m not worried. I was wondering if anyone knew when you generally hear back from UCD or any of the other 6 year programs because RCSI wants a (hefty) deposit by 21 days after your email of acceptance and I don’t want to accept before I’ve considered all my options

I’ve heard that the schools have communication with each other to decide “who goes where” in regards of acceptances. From what I hear applicants typically only receive one letter of offer from only one school. UCD should be releasing their letters in the next few weeks I think.

I’ve heard that the schools have communication with each other to decide “who goes where” in regards of acceptances. From what I hear applicants typically only receive one letter of offer from only one school. UCD should be releasing their letters in the next few weeks I think.

Hmm, I really hope that's not true...

I received an offer from RCSI but I haven't heard anything back from the other schools. I was really hoping to get an interview from Limerick. Seeing that some invites came out last week makes me think I probably won't be getting one.

Hmm, I really hope that's not true...

I received an offer from RCSI but I haven't heard anything back from the other schools. I was really hoping to get an interview from Limerick. Seeing that some invites came out last week makes me think I probably won't be getting one.
When I submitted my app, part of the email said if you meet their criteria you'll be given an interview. I assumed that mean't gpa above x.x and mcating above xxx.
I hope you can still receive an offer from a school if you have an interview. That way I won't have to shell out money to fly to Toronto and a hotel. I rather have a sure thing