ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Interview Discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
KCOM ha a very nice atmosphere and is family friendly! Its a great school.

Heck yeah. It is very structured towards family life. There are some programs for spouses and family as well. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats HD, my interview is Monday I am so nervous. Next week is going to be so fun, I have 2 interviews... yayyy!!!:thumbup:

Good luck to you! I'm sure that you'll do great! Did you hear from MSUCOM yet? I forget. You'll have a great time at KCOM. They are so super nice!

HrvatskiDoktor I sent you a congratulatory prv message. Conrats again. I called down to see what happened with mine. I have a couple of missed calls but who knows.

Congrats to you too Mastamark! Glad you got the call. I got your message, but was at work and had to get going.

Ok great. I'm ready to get this process over with, so with my luck, I'll probably get another wait list. So what were the interviews like?

Good luck to you too TT. The interviews were fun. Really, I had two really nice people to talk with and ALL of the people in the office were really nice, friendly and helpful. The hardest two questions I got were, "Describe to me what you think an average day in the life of a physician is." and "What has been your largest challenge in life so far?" They were both so personal and it was completely obvious that they wanted to know me, not just prod me with questions.

There is a short file review kind of interview with an admissions rep, which is really laid back and they just asked about different aspects of your file that stuck out or were missing!

I know that Kirksville is small (which is really the only negative that I think the school has going for it) but seriously, there is so much out doorsy kind of stuff to do that I'm glad it is small. It is a very biker (and by biker I mean bicycler) friendly and it will make it easy not to spend too much money or waist precious time doing frivolous stuff!

I have one more school that I really want to check out, but am really leaning KCOM at this point!

HD

Sounds great. These guys really work hard to make you feel at home. They've already been really helpful over e-mail, and I even had about a 45-minute phone conversation with one of the admissions reps before I even applied. I can't wait to see what they're like once I actually meet them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be appropriate to give a student host a thank-you card and a gift card (like starbucks or something) after you leave or should you send it via snail-mail once you get back home ? Or is sending a gift card not appropriate ?

Would it be appropriate to give a student host a thank-you card and a gift card (like starbucks or something) after you leave or should you send it via snail-mail once you get back home ? Or is sending a gift card not appropriate ?

I don't see why it would be inappropriate to leave it on the kitchen table when you leave, or even mail it. But FYI--there isn't a starbucks within 50 miles of KCOM. There is a local coffee shop but no starbucks. There is a Wal-Mart and the standard fast foods and a cinema.

I am like you....I was raised and it is part of my familial culture that you bring or leave something whenever someone invites you into their home. However, there are probably a lot of people out there that would tell you not to do this. Just do what you feel comfortable.

I don't see why it would be inappropriate to leave it on the kitchen table when you leave, or even mail it. But FYI--there isn't a starbucks within 50 miles of KCOM. There is a local coffee shop but no starbucks. There is a Wal-Mart and the standard fast foods and a cinema.

I am like you....I was raised and it is part of my familial culture that you bring or leave something whenever someone invites you into their home. However, there are probably a lot of people out there that would tell you not to do this. Just do what you feel comfortable.

Hmm...no starbucks is a problem...maybe a barnes and noble or something...

Hmm...no starbucks is a problem...maybe a barnes and noble or something...

I'm not for sure yet, but I was told that the closest "mall" is 90 miles south but there is a Target in Iowa which is kind of close. The mall is in Columbia which is a large town and I am told makes for a fun day trip. Columbia also has things such as Olive Garden, and a larger cinema. So maybe there is a starbucks or barnes and noble there.

The stores I remember seeing in Kirksville:
JC Penny
Tractor Supply Company
Hy-Vee (local grocery I think)
Super Wal-Mart
Home Depot

you could also do a gas card!

Sweet. I was worried about where to get supplies for my tractor while in med school. KCOM thought of everything.

Yes, Kirksville is an agricultural community, hence Tractor Supply, MFA....... And TT, I'm sure that you plan on driving your big green tractor to Kirksville as you couldn't picture life without it. Anyway, Columbia (90 miles south) is the nearest place to find starbucks, barnes and noble, a mall, Target, anything bigger than the local Wal Mart. While it has it's disadvantages, I think that Kirksville will be a great place to learn medicine as there are few distractions and lots of good people.

Kirksville is a great school. If your not into small towns, then it may not be the place for you. But, if you want a great school that really worries about putting out a quality medical professional then, KCOM is the school for you. You will love every minute of your interview so don't be suprised.

As for some of the other questions the board meets each week on Wednesday and they will usually send out their choice that same day. In my experience the admin staff that i interviewed with called me to congradulate me. They have quick turn around. They told us, "It's important to you know where we stand asap." It's a great school, you'll love your time there.

I came in with the misconception that KCOM was going to be technologically behind the other schools! I was very wrong and in my opinion, one of the most innovative schools I have seen.

Kirksville is a great school. If your not into small towns, then it may not be the place for you. But, if you want a great school that really worries about putting out a quality medical professional then, KCOM is the school for you. You will love every minute of your interview so don't be suprised.

As for some of the other questions the board meets each week on Wednesday and they will usually send out their choice that same day. In my experience the admin staff that i interviewed with called me to congradulate me. They have quick turn around. They told us, "It's important to you know where we stand asap." It's a great school, you'll love your time there.

Hey 307Doc...we're probably going to be classmates :) I am about 99% sure I'll end up at KCOM next year...just waiting to check out Ohio University...but it would have to really blow me away to not go to KCOM!

HD

Hey 307Doc...we're probably going to be classmates :) I am about 99% sure I'll end up at KCOM next year...just waiting to check out Ohio University...but it would have to really blow me away to not go to KCOM!

HD

KCOM rocks, I'll be sending in my deposit check in Next week. I look forward to meeting all KCOM class of 2012 members at orientation. Hope to see you there

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll probably be seeing both of you there too, I absolutely loved everything about the school. Even if I am accepted at my state school I don't think they can sway me away from KCOM. I'll be sending my deposit as soon as I can get the funds.

Hopefully I'll see you all there next year. I loved the school, and will hear the decision next week. If I get in that's where I'll be in the fall!

I'll probably be seeing both of you there too, I absolutely loved everything about the school. Even if I am accepted at my state school I don't think they can sway me away from KCOM. I'll be sending my deposit as soon as I can get the funds.

I feel pretty much the same way, but I just need to see the last school to know for sure.

Hopefully I'll see you all there next year. I loved the school, and will hear the decision next week. If I get in that's where I'll be in the fall!

If you gave them your cell #, have it on and near you all day. They called me at 1230...right as I was leaving for lunch (which was 1130 in Mo) so they basically contacted me the minute they knew I was accepted!

Try not to go too crazy until then!!!

HD

Ya, they called me at 10:00 my time which is 11:00 in kirksville, I was just getting ready to start Comparative Anatomy, teacher didn't care he was as excited as me!

It's cool that they actually call you. They just told me to call on Thursday and they said they would tell me. Either way, I'm just glad I don't have to wait for something in the mail.

For you all that have been accepted- if I am I'm looking at those on campus apartments, I'm guessing they go pretty fast?

It's cool that they actually call you. They just told me to call on Thursday and they said they would tell me. Either way, I'm just glad I don't have to wait for something in the mail.

For you all that have been accepted- if I am I'm looking at those on campus apartments, I'm guessing they go pretty fast?

I was told by a girl who lives in one to reserve it the minute you are able (ie, accepted or send in deposit) and if you need to to you can cancel for no fee but there are only 40 so they go fast!

HD

Just got home from st.louis. The interview went great, KCOM is just amazing. The minute I walked in to the moment I left, I absolutely loved the school. Its going to be really really really hard topping this one, I felt such a strong sense of commitment and dedication at the school. Aghhh!!! I just want to give everyone my in-depth analysis of my day, but I am toooo tired, so tomorrow I promise I will write down every single detail about my interview day.

KCOM = Freaking AWESOME :love:

Just got home from st.louis. The interview went great, KCOM is just amazing. The minute I walked in to the moment I left, I absolutely loved the school. Its going to be really really really hard topping this one, I felt such a strong sense of commitment and dedication at the school. Aghhh!!! I just want to give everyone my in-depth analysis of my day, but I am toooo tired, so tomorrow I promise I will write down every single detail about my interview day.

KCOM = Freaking AWESOME :love:

I was wondering when you were going to let us know how it went. That's awesome that you had a great interview day! Sounds like you didn't get the same interviewer as t-funk. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty excited about my interview now. Everything I've ever read or heard about this place suggests that it is about as good of a medical school as there is in the country. They seem to do a great job.

Wow, I'm a small Town EMT as well. Maybe we are the same person. Are you a 25 y.o. female that lives in Texas w/ a passion for expensive Coach bags??:love:

Way to go Desijigga, I hope you get some good news. Good Luck down there Texastriathlete. Chances are well be classmates if you guys choose to go there.

Wow, I'm a small Town EMT as well. Maybe we are the same person. Are you a 25 y.o. female that lives in Texas w/ a passion for expensive Coach bags??:love:

Haha, not quite. Definitely not female, from a completely different part of the country, and I'm pretty sure I don't even own a Coach bag!

Tomorrow's the big day... admissions committee meets!

I interviewed at KCOM on friday (I've been calling it K-COM in my head, now I have to change that to K-C-O-M!) and I loved it!! I can't wait until thursday when I can give them a call about my status. I still need to check out UNECOM in December, but KCOM is the frontrunner right now.

I was SO impressed with everything. Especially their anatomy program, rotation sites, match list...I could go on and on!!!

They were so interested in trying to find my husband a job, too. Every one of the professors/docs/admission staff gave genuine thought to where he might find employment. My interviewer even came back to our group after dropping me off because while walking back to his office he thought of another lead for my husband's career in Kirksville. They were all so nice.

C'mon KCOM....please let me in!!!

Did anyone else love how KCOM fits you for your white coat on the interview day?!? Its definately a good way to make us all super excited about going to med school. I'm gonna be a doctor!!

I interviewed there last week and it was by far the best school I have ever seen. I'm so excited to here back from them hopefully this week. Their match list from this year was crazy awesome (2 to mayo clinic most notably). I especially loved that they never asked or told you you have to stay and practice in the area. Basically they're like 2 years here at KCOM then you go off to do your rotations whereever you want....awesome.... :hardy:

I interviewed at KCOM on friday (I've been calling it K-COM in my head, now I have to change that to K-C-O-M!) and I loved it!! I can't wait until thursday when I can give them a call about my status. I still need to check out UNECOM in December, but KCOM is the frontrunner right now.

I was SO impressed with everything. Especially their anatomy program, rotation sites, match list...I could go on and on!!!

They were so interested in trying to find my husband a job, too. Every one of the professors/docs/admission staff gave genuine thought to where he might find employment. My interviewer even came back to our group after dropping me off because while walking back to his office he thought of another lead for my husband's career in Kirksville. They were all so nice.

C'mon KCOM....please let me in!!!

YEah they were great down there. They are very family oriented and understand the importance of getting the spouses involved. My wife walked away from the interview with more info than I did.

I thought it was fun to try on the white coat as well.. :smuggrin:

Did anyone else love how KCOM fits you for your white coat on the interview day?!? Its definately a good way to make us all super excited about going to med school. I'm gonna be a doctor!!

After my 1st interview the admissions lady pulled me over and measured me for my coat. I about flipped out with joy. It by far made the day even more special. KCOM all the way.

Holy crap! I'm also from Texas! I wonder if we are the same person? Are you a 30-year-old dude who doesn't know what a Coach bag is, and likes to ride a bike and would rather volunteer at the regional trauma center on Friday and Saturday nights than go out to bars?

After my 1st interview the admissions lady pulled me over and measured me for my coat. I about flipped out with joy. It by far made the day even more special. KCOM all the way.
All I know is that if I interview at any school, and they try to measure me for a white hood and sheet, I will be withdrawing my application.

they did that for everybody.

Oh!!!! That's a little different!

Just sent in my deposit, signed the agreement, and did my background check. I guess you could say I'm officially part of the class of 2012!!!

Just sent in my deposit, signed the agreement, and did my background check. I guess you could say I'm officially part of the class of 2012!!!

Woah...you did that with the quickness. I just got my packet today. I am pretty sure that I will go to KCOM as well. I have a lot of issues going on in the process of deciding though. I will probably wait until the last minute send in any deposits as well as making a class signature...LOL.

Interesting thing was there didn't seem to be any non-trads yesterday at the interview. Most of the students looked like they were 21-23 years old.

My jaw dropped when I saw the new OMM lab...:eek:, and I do like it that they get to dissect unlike MSU where the cadavers are prosected for you. We got to visit the Anatomy lab when the students were there studying for the final. They all looked so stressed, lol... thats going to be me in a year :D

Only piece of advice I have for future interviewers is watch what you say and do the whole time you are there, even when you are talking to the student ambassadors or any of the KCOM students who are walking around. My interviewer made a point to tell me about some students you were not accepted in the past due to their behavior during the interview day. Just be yourself and answer the questions to the best of your ability.

I hope I get in...:D

When is the adcom meeting? They called me on the wed after the Monday I interviewed!

They called you? I was told to call back this Thursday to see if any decision has been made.

That would be crazy if I hear tomorrow, I will probably run through the streets naked like Will Ferrel in Old School :smuggrin:

They called you? I was told to call back this Thursday to see if any decision has been made.

That would be crazy if I hear tomorrow, I will probably run through the streets naked like Will Ferrel in Old School :smuggrin:

What if you get into state later in the cycle? Will you go to KCOM or State?

Interesting thing was there didn't seem to be any non-trads yesterday at the interview. Most of the students looked like they were 21-23 years old.

My jaw dropped when I saw the new OMM lab...:eek:, and I do like it that they get to dissect unlike MSU where the cadavers are prosected for you. We got to visit the Anatomy lab when the students were there studying for the final. They all looked so stressed, lol... thats going to be me in a year :D

Only piece of advice I have for future interviewers is watch what you say and do the whole time you are there, even when you are talking to the student ambassadors or any of the KCOM students who are walking around. My interviewer made a point to tell me about some students you were not accepted in the past due to their behavior during the interview day. Just be yourself and answer the questions to the best of your ability.

I'm ure you did well. Man...was that not the hugest OMM lab you have seen!!?:eek:

I couldn't believe when they told us that whole entire wall in the front of the lab was a projector screen. Did hey tell you how many tables were in there? I don't think they told us. My guess is somewhere around 200 or more, but that could be a extreme exageration or even under the reality. How was the new building coming along at your interview? They were still painting and putting some finishing touches on it when I went a couple of weeks ago.

hmmm!!! that would be a very tough choice!!!

I love KCOM, but MSU is so close to my parents and I want to be with them since they are getting pretty old now. In the end I might go with KCOM, there was just something about the school.

Masta they said students should be able to use it in a month or so.

Make sure you run down Harrison if you are in EL still.....that way I won't have to check here to see if you got the call. I was also told, "If you don't hear from me by Friday call and see what's up. I got the call at 1230 on Wed!

I'm ure you did well. Man...was that not the hugest OMM lab you have seen!!?:eek:

I couldn't believe when they told us that whole entire wall in the front of the lab was a projector screen. Did hey tell you how many tables were in there? I don't think they told us. My guess is somewhere around 200 or more, but that could be a extreme exageration or even under the reality. How was the new building coming along at your interview? They were still painting and putting some finishing touches on it when I went a couple of weeks ago.

I thought that I heard someone say 100...but it could have been 200 b/c I was in heels and every other though was don't trip, don't trip, don't trip!

HrvatskiDoktor,

Did you get your acceptance packet? I got mine and I didn't get the login info for the website. Didn't they say we would get that with the packet or was that after we paid the deposit?

HrvatskiDoktor,

Did you get your acceptance packet? I got mine and I didn't get the login info for the website. Didn't they say we would get that with the packet or was that after we paid the deposit?

I didn't....get the login that is, i did get the packet. I don't remember hearing anything about the login for the website. Must be after the deposit!

I wonder if me just wanting to get the hell out of there after my interview caused a problem. I'm sure it showed. My feelings are still so hurt about the way I was treated while I was there. Just the thought of KCOM makes tears well up. I just don't understand, why me? I don't think I'm that awful? Part of me wonders if me getting really uncomfortable about them asking all sorts of questions about my family, like my deadbeat sister or my blue collar boyfriend, caused a problem? I just don't see how those kinds of questions are appropriate for an interview. I haven't been asked anything about my family, or lack therof, in any of my other interviews. I don't know.

Anyway, good luck Desijigga and I hope you get in and congrats on almost making your decision to attend there Mastamark and I know you'll do great at the interview Tex! There were also no other non-trads at my interview and everyone seemed very young.

Well, good luck

I didn't get the login in my packet....