You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion Thread 2011-2012
Started by ShyRem
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
How much time typically passes between your app being complete and the interview invite? My app was complete last week.
It depends on your stats and how late in the cycle. I took about 6 weeks before I got the invite. Good luck!
How much time typically passes between your app being complete and the interview invite? My app was complete last week.
Mine took about 3 days if I remember correctly. But I think up to 6 weeks is normal.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got the call today....ACCEPTED!!
I interviewed on 1/13/12, and got the call 1/19.
They said it should take 4-5 weeks to hear back, but surprisingly I heard back in 5 days.
Yayyy!! Now, the tough part...deciding what school I want to go to. mhhmmm....
Congrats!! 👍
Hi guys,
I just got invited for an interview. I had a few questions that I really wanted to know before I decide to travel to AZ. I live near Atlantic City, NJ so its a decent travel. I have to interview Feb 3rd since I have clinical every week except this upcoming one.
1. Anyone have an average step 1 pass rate, or even better, avg score?
2. How long has this school been accredited/established?
3. any comparison to WVSOM (other than tuition)
4. My Stats: 35 MCAT, 3.34 (science and cumulative), senior Nursing student so crazy a amount of exposure to medicine, what are my chances this late in the race?
5. Hotel? Car rental (under 25)?
Any help is much appreciated since I have to book ASAP if I decide to attend!
I just got invited for an interview. I had a few questions that I really wanted to know before I decide to travel to AZ. I live near Atlantic City, NJ so its a decent travel. I have to interview Feb 3rd since I have clinical every week except this upcoming one.
1. Anyone have an average step 1 pass rate, or even better, avg score?
2. How long has this school been accredited/established?
3. any comparison to WVSOM (other than tuition)
4. My Stats: 35 MCAT, 3.34 (science and cumulative), senior Nursing student so crazy a amount of exposure to medicine, what are my chances this late in the race?
5. Hotel? Car rental (under 25)?
Any help is much appreciated since I have to book ASAP if I decide to attend!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also just received an interview invite today, and I am quite excited to head out to AZ. Sadly, the earliest time available is in March. I apologize in advance if this has already been asked, but does anyone have the statistics for admission post interview?
Yes, there are a handful every year. You don't need to be by a base for any of your medical education. You will be sent to basic training and on 3rd/4th year rotations at military facilities. I would recommend Hawaii.Are there many military scholarship recipients at SOMA? If so are any of the CHCs near any military bases?
You are more than qualified with that MCAT score, but I wouldn't waste it at either school. ATSU has only been accredited for less than a year. I believe it's still a conditional accreditation. I have friends at both schools and the ones at ATSU are miserable. WV is more costly as far as tuition, but it's in a small town where everyone knows you and is more than happy to have med students around. Choose as wisely as you can, these 4 years can be the best or worst time of your life.
#413
#413
Best move you've ever made! Good luck!I was accepted here in December and withdrew my application from here on Thursday due to an acceptance from another school. Good luck to you all!
What are your choices?Got the call today....ACCEPTED!!
I interviewed on 1/13/12, and got the call 1/19.
They said it should take 4-5 weeks to hear back, but surprisingly I heard back in 5 days.
Yayyy!! Now, the tough part...deciding what school I want to go to. mhhmmm....
You are more than qualified with that MCAT score, but I wouldn't waste it at either school. ATSU has only been accredited for less than a year. I believe it's still a conditional accreditation. I have friends at both schools and the ones at ATSU are miserable. WV is more costly as far as tuition, but it's in a small town where everyone knows you and is more than happy to have med students around. Choose as wisely as you can, these 4 years can be the best or worst time of your life.
#413
How many friends do you have at ATSU SOMA and why are they miserable? It is helpful if you have details, otherwise...you can find people who are miserable at every program. But seriously, if you have details on what their complaints are, please share.
Hi guys,
I just got invited for an interview. I had a few questions that I really wanted to know before I decide to travel to AZ. I live near Atlantic City, NJ so its a decent travel. I have to interview Feb 3rd since I have clinical every week except this upcoming one.
1. Anyone have an average step 1 pass rate, or even better, avg score?
2. How long has this school been accredited/established?
3. any comparison to WVSOM (other than tuition)
4. My Stats: 35 MCAT, 3.34 (science and cumulative), senior Nursing student so crazy a amount of exposure to medicine, what are my chances this late in the race?
5. Hotel? Car rental (under 25)?
Any help is much appreciated since I have to book ASAP if I decide to attend!
When were you complete?
I got the email yesterday, interview invite. I will be there on March 23 as well. Wish there was an earlier date but that was it.Alright, so. . .who's got an interview set up for March 23rd?
You are more than qualified with that MCAT score, but I wouldn't waste it at either school. ATSU has only been accredited for less than a year. I believe it's still a conditional accreditation. I have friends at both schools and the ones at ATSU are miserable. WV is more costly as far as tuition, but it's in a small town where everyone knows you and is more than happy to have med students around. Choose as wisely as you can, these 4 years can be the best or worst time of your life.
#413
Current medical students can correct me, but I am pretty sure they are fully accredited now since their inaugural Class of 2011 graduated last year.
Current medical students can correct me, but I am pretty sure they are fully accredited now since their inaugural Class of 2011 graduated last year.
You are right, YiSheng. They are fully accredited and received the longest period of accreditation possible before needing to be re-reviewed (as all institutions must be). The Dean stated this fact.
Last edited:
I'll be there on March 23rd as well. I'm probably going to head there Wednesday, since I am coming from the east coast.Alright, so. . .who's got an interview set up for March 23rd?
1. Anyone have an average step 1 pass rate, or even better, avg score?
2. How long has this school been accredited/established?
3. any comparison to WVSOM (other than tuition)
4. My Stats: 35 MCAT, 3.34 (science and cumulative), senior Nursing student so crazy a amount of exposure to medicine, what are my chances this late in the race?
5. Hotel? Car rental (under 25)?
I interviewed in october...
1. I think the step one pass rate is average, but that said, i saw many graduating students matching into competitive specialities.
2. the school graduated its first class last year, therefore fully accredited
3. not sure about WVSOM, but ATSU SOMA is quite special in that it has a 1+3 curriculum, meaning you only stay at the main campus for 1 year, then you get to work directly with patients starting from year 2.
4. your scores are good, especially your MCAT
5. i'd recommend sleep inn, very close to campus, and only about $50 per night. You'd probably need to rent a car too.
Where were you able to find $50 rates for the Sleep Inn? Looking at their website it's closer to $90+, suggestions?I interviewed in october...
1. I think the step one pass rate is average, but that said, i saw many graduating students matching into competitive specialities.
2. the school graduated its first class last year, therefore fully accredited
3. not sure about WVSOM, but ATSU SOMA is quite special in that it has a 1+3 curriculum, meaning you only stay at the main campus for 1 year, then you get to work directly with patients starting from year 2.
4. your scores are good, especially your MCAT
5. i'd recommend sleep inn, very close to campus, and only about $50 per night. You'd probably need to rent a car too.
You are more than qualified with that MCAT score, but I wouldn't waste it at either school. ATSU has only been accredited for less than a year. I believe it's still a conditional accreditation. I have friends at both schools and the ones at ATSU are miserable. WV is more costly as far as tuition, but it's in a small town where everyone knows you and is more than happy to have med students around. Choose as wisely as you can, these 4 years can be the best or worst time of your life.
#413
I don't know who almost doc is, but I'm pretty sure he/she's a troll. 8 posts so far and better than half bashing SOMA. First post was on this thread.
I have not read one comment that he/she has left about SOMA that's even remotely true. I can only speak for my class, but everyone seems extremely happy. The only complaints I've heard have been minor nits, and I don't think you'll find a school out there without those.
Yes SOMA is fully accredited, and no, it's not a provisional accreditation. When I applied it was provisional because the first class hadn't graduated, but that happened about 2 months before I matriculated and SOMA has been fully accredited the entire time I've attended classes.
Just wanted to clear up some misinformation.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where were you able to find $50 rates for the Sleep Inn? Looking at their website it's closer to $90+, suggestions?
in october i just showed up and asked, they gave me the $50 quote..
Thanks, I'll give them a call and maybe mention that I will be interviewing at SOMA. I'd imagine that can't hurt.in october i just showed up and asked, they gave me the $50 quote..
Thanks, I'll give them a call and maybe mention that I will be interviewing at SOMA. I'd imagine that can't hurt.
actually, $59.99.. funny how the 9.99 thing got me~
Even so, it looks as though the rates have gone up. They do have a special deal for SOMA, at $94.99, for anyone interested (for third week of March)actually, $59.99.. funny how the 9.99 thing got me~
Does anyone know if SOMA has a high and low wait list like other osteopathic schools? In other words can you be in this cycle and put on the high wait list meaning you have an automatic spot in the class of 2017 if you are not pulled off the list for this class?? Thanks!
Can't comment on the class of 2016, but I can say that they did this for the class of 2015. They call it "waitlist" or "accepted pending seat availability".
Anyone currently at a CHC that can tell us about their experience?
Is SOMA still interviewing? I've been complete for a month or so now. No word yet.
I'm not sure if it is of any help, but I was officially complete (via email) on Jan 25th, and received the interview invite on Feb 1st. It is not until the third week of March (late sadly), however I am not certain as to when interviews are over. I would speculate by either the end of March or mid-April. That seems to be the consensus. Best of luck to you!Is SOMA still interviewing? I've been complete for a month or so now. No word yet.
Hey guys,
I just interviewed at SOMA on Feb 3rd! I believe they only have two more batches left but I could be wrong. I know they only had one interview date in March and one left in Feb. Hope this helps!
I just interviewed at SOMA on Feb 3rd! I believe they only have two more batches left but I could be wrong. I know they only had one interview date in March and one left in Feb. Hope this helps!
Did they mention how many seats are still open or if they interview for the wait list?
EEK! i just interviewed at SOMA last friday (2/3)!! I hope I get accepted there!
I fell in love with the school even more during my visit. 😍
1) the social was pretty nice. it was a great opportunity to hang out with the students and ask them questions. they really make you feel more at ease for your interview. the faculty that visited with us were very nice as well. they also give you a pretty thorough tour at the end. if you don't go to the social and want the tour after your interview, you will have to stay extra in order to attend.
2) interview day: the agenda is posted online at the interview scheduling site. overall the day was pretty easygoing, lots of presentations (financial aid, OMM demo, CHC), and of course the interview. The faculty really make it a conversation so don't be too nervous.
well, that's my interview-day feedback for now. 🙂
I fell in love with the school even more during my visit. 😍1) the social was pretty nice. it was a great opportunity to hang out with the students and ask them questions. they really make you feel more at ease for your interview. the faculty that visited with us were very nice as well. they also give you a pretty thorough tour at the end. if you don't go to the social and want the tour after your interview, you will have to stay extra in order to attend.
2) interview day: the agenda is posted online at the interview scheduling site. overall the day was pretty easygoing, lots of presentations (financial aid, OMM demo, CHC), and of course the interview. The faculty really make it a conversation so don't be too nervous.
well, that's my interview-day feedback for now. 🙂
Congrats!! Would you care to share your interview experience?Got a call this morning, I'M IN!!! First acceptance, interviewed 02/03/12.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The interview was very conversational. I had the impression they were mainly trying to get a feel for my commitment and integrity. We talked about my service activities, and how I see the role of a physician among his/her patients, and within the larger community. They really wanted to see if I had the real desire to serve the underserved, and could succeed in their teaching style(s). Hopefully that answers your question, if not let me know.
It does, thanks. Did they give you any feedback or indication following the interview as to how it went?The interview was very conversational. I had the impression they were mainly trying to get a feel for my commitment and integrity. We talked about my service activities, and how I see the role of a physician among his/her patients, and within the larger community. They really wanted to see if I had the real desire to serve the underserved, and could succeed in their teaching style(s). Hopefully that answers your question, if not let me know.
The interview was very conversational. I had the impression they were mainly trying to get a feel for my commitment and integrity. We talked about my service activities, and how I see the role of a physician among his/her patients, and within the larger community. They really wanted to see if I had the real desire to serve the underserved, and could succeed in their teaching style(s). Hopefully that answers your question, if not let me know.
Who were your interviewers, if you dont mind me asking of course.
Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:
-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools
https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home
(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)
I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!
-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools
https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home
(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)
I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 163
- Views
- 45K
- Replies
- 237
- Views
- 66K
- Replies
- 303
- Views
- 79K
- Replies
- 67
- Views
- 19K
- Replies
- 223
- Views
- 56K