ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I guess it's official. I accepted this morning so I will be part of the class of 2016.

I know there are a lot of people who care about this so here are my stats for those who will be searching this thread next year.

MCAT 33Q
GPA 3.7
sGPA 3.7
MS degree
10 years medical experience
no real research
2 medical certifications

Good luck to everybody. See some of you in few months.
 
It bothers me how some people think SOMA is producing only Primary Care Docs. That's just not true at all. It has a brilliant CPC program but that doesn't lock you down as a PCP. Look at the stats from the class of 2011:

Class of 2011 primary care: 52%
Class of 2011 top three residency programs: 25% FM, 20% IM, 8% EM
Match Type: 48% Osteopathic, 47% Allopathic, 5% Military

That's pretty decent imho. And some of the residency matches are quite impressive too.

I'm very excited about this school.
 
Well, I sent in a LOI yesterday... Here's to hoping I get pulled off the alternate list!
 
has anyone heard back yet from the 12/2 interview. Im really hoping I get in, but i get the feeling its not going to happen. I wonder if they send their pending acceptances in the mail along with wait lists and rejection. Also does anyone have an idea of how long after acceptances were given, that the wait list/ rejection letter was received in the mail.?
 
has anyone heard back yet from the 12/2 interview. Im really hoping I get in, but i get the feeling its not going to happen. I wonder if they send their pending acceptances in the mail along with wait lists and rejection. Also does anyone have an idea of how long after acceptances were given, that the wait list/ rejection letter was received in the mail.?


I interviewed 10/28 and my alternate/waitlist response came recently, took ~4 weeks to receive it... However, I had a voicemail first because I had a pending deposit for LECOM. I know it can take at least 2-3 weeks to hear even if you are accepted...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got the call...wooohooo!!!! Accepted! So excited...I'm praying for everyone who interviewed 12/2
 
Got a call half an hr ago from area code 480...Accepted!! Wooohooo! Absolute love this school. Interviewed 12/2 😀 Best luck to everyone!
 
Also Accepted here! Phone call at 4:21pm AZ Time. Gotta say it feels good to be in. Good luck to everyone else! (Interviewed 12/2)
 
well this sucks for me.. congrats to everyone who did get accepted... looks like ill probably be trying again next year.🙂
 
Keep your head up, last year I got accepted a few days after the calls from my interview day started rolling in on SDN. I thought I wasn't in, turns out the person assigned to call me took an early weekend.

If you haven't heard yet, stay positive. You may get in yet!
 
Keep your head up, last year I got accepted a few days after the calls from my interview day started rolling in on SDN. I thought I wasn't in, turns out the person assigned to call me took an early weekend.

If you haven't heard yet, stay positive. You may get in yet!

Im still positive.. Ive just had a bad week. Thats all. I received an electric shock where I work in the hospital and got sent to the ER on Tuesday. Not so fun...lol. Actually something interesting happened to me today. I remember one of the financial aid staff saying there was no scholarship money coming from the air force and I got a letter in the mail today from the Air force for scholarship to medical school. This was really quite awkward. It could be a sign. Who knows? Anyways hope everyone has a good weekend. I will keep people updated if i do get in though and once again congrats to everyone else.
 
Im still positive.. Ive just had a bad week. Thats all. I received an electric shock where I work in the hospital and got sent to the ER on Tuesday. Not so fun...lol. Actually something interesting happened to me today. I remember one of the financial aid staff saying there was no scholarship money coming from the air force and I got a letter in the mail today from the Air force for scholarship to medical school. This was really quite awkward. It could be a sign. Who knows? Anyways hope everyone has a good weekend. I will keep people updated if i do get in though and once again congrats to everyone else.

I was accepted well after other people interviewed on the same day as well. Keep your chin up, It ain't over till it's over.
 
Im still positive.. Ive just had a bad week. Thats all. I received an electric shock where I work in the hospital and got sent to the ER on Tuesday. Not so fun...lol. Actually something interesting happened to me today. I remember one of the financial aid staff saying there was no scholarship money coming from the air force and I got a letter in the mail today from the Air force for scholarship to medical school. This was really quite awkward. It could be a sign. Who knows? Anyways hope everyone has a good weekend. I will keep people updated if i do get in though and once again congrats to everyone else.

Keep us posted. We'll be rooting for you!
 
I think I was too much in shock after hearing the acceptance so I only caught that they will be sending an acceptance email soon and a packet...anybody know when to expect them?
 
I'm praying for those that haven't been called yet :xf:

Regarding the $1k deposit... is it refundable?

Nope

I think I was too much in shock after hearing the acceptance so I only caught that they will be sending an acceptance email soon and a packet...anybody know when to expect them?

They never sent it to me, I emailed them two weeks after getting accepted to ask for the packet
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For everyone who interviewed on 12/2, I received the official acceptance e-mail today along with the pdf version of the packet (apparantly, they are going green this year, haha).
 
Hey guys, I was just reading thru some of these posts to see if I could help or clear anything up. I'm a first year at SOMA and a Student Ambassador (for those of you who interviewed already... I was one of the kids giving tours at the social / eating lunch with you on interview day). Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far. And for those of you waiting to interview or waiting to hear from admissions, DO NOT freak out!

When I was applying last year they interviewed 500 total, accepted 300, and we ended up with a class of 107. People change their minds all the time... I have friends in our class who were on the pending list and got their acceptance calls on our first day of orientation (they dropped everything and moved to Arizona ASAP). I know they're talking about these new admissions policies and how the school is more popular now that it's accredited and how the class may already be full as of now, but the truth is SOMA isn't for everyone. It's a very unique program, and chances are some of the people who were already accepted will realize they want a more traditional osteopathic curriculum or want somewhere closer to home or maybe they got into a school that was higher on their list... whatever the reason, they might figure this out in the next few weeks / months and will decline their acceptances before dropping all that cash on the deposits ($2000 total is a pretty big hit). And even the people on the alternate / pending lists, some of them may get into other schools and not want to risk losing that spot while waiting for one to open up at SOMA.... pushing you up the list if that's where you're currently at.

According to our faculty and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th yrs, it happens all the time. Just try to keep optimistic -- no one can really predict what's going to happen.

Good luck to everyone! and feel free to message me if you have any specific questions about anything at all.
 
Hey guys, I was just reading thru some of these posts to see if I could help or clear anything up. I'm a first year at SOMA and a Student Ambassador (for those of you who interviewed already... I was one of the kids giving tours at the social / eating lunch with you on interview day). Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far. And for those of you waiting to interview or waiting to hear from admissions, DO NOT freak out!

When I was applying last year they interviewed 500 total, accepted 300, and we ended up with a class of 107. People change their minds all the time... I have friends in our class who were on the pending list and got their acceptance calls on our first day of orientation (they dropped everything and moved to Arizona ASAP). I know they're talking about these new admissions policies and how the school is more popular now that it's accredited and how the class may already be full as of now, but the truth is SOMA isn't for everyone. It's a very unique program, and chances are some of the people who were already accepted will realize they want a more traditional osteopathic curriculum or want somewhere closer to home or maybe they got into a school that was higher on their list... whatever the reason, they might figure this out in the next few weeks / months and will decline their acceptances before dropping all that cash on the deposits ($2000 total is a pretty big hit). And even the people on the alternate / pending lists, some of them may get into other schools and not want to risk losing that spot while waiting for one to open up at SOMA.... pushing you up the list if that's where you're currently at.

According to our faculty and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th yrs, it happens all the time. Just try to keep optimistic -- no one can really predict what's going to happen.

Good luck to everyone! and feel free to message me if you have any specific questions about anything at all.

Thank you for the reassuring information. Very much appreciated. Also - happy holidays to all of us med students and premed students that are applying for next year🙂)
 
Im going to ATSU soma next year, can current students chime in on where is a good place to live? Thanks!

I'm renting a home about 4 miles south of campus. Others live in some of the various apartment complexes near the school. Colonial Grand seems to be the most popular.

I found the price difference between an apartment and home of similar size to be fairly minimal here in AZ. The quietness of a standalone home, garage, yard, and atmosphere of living in a standalone home was well worth the extra $50-$100.

I should add that I'm married and have kids though; your mileage may vary.
 
Interviewed 12/2. Accepted 12/16. I was completed somewhere in October. I'm probably not going to accept though, depending on how some family issues pan out. Good Luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back as my spot may open up.

My Stats:

SciGPA: 3.95
cGPA: 3.98
MCAT: 37 T
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Probably. There are a lot of high stat trolls.

Nope. Look at my MD posts for UCLA. These are my stats. In my opinion, DO = MD and you have to be prepared no matter what.

Plus, there'll be a spot opening up, so why the complaints?
 
Last edited:
Nope. Look at my MD posts for UCLA. These are my stats. In my opinion, DO = MD and you have to be prepared no matter what.

Plus, there'll be a spot opening up, so why the complaints?

Some good news for you, you'd still be seen as a high stat troll probably even in the harvard thread....
 
Ya, unfortunately, too many pre-meds can't seem to be happy for others' success.

Oh, we are most definitely happy for your success, especially considering we have all gotten in somewhere already. But people with high stats should be considerate for others who will never get such stats no matter how hard they work...