You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion Thread 2011-2012
Started by ShyRem
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It's not required to go to the social, but I highly recommend it. It's an opportunity to talk to faculty and students in a more relaxed atmosphere. Also, you don't get a tour on interview day; they do it at the social.
If you're lucky, you will get a chance to speak to one of your interviewers, and that will help reduce the tension in your actual interview. Go unless you absolutely can't.
They will ask you questions about your application. They really want people who want to go into primary care and be involved with the CHC movement, so they will ask you about that as well. Plus the standard (Why DO? Why SOMA?) questions.
Thanks for the advice. I was only asking because I work on the day of the reception. I live out here in Arizona so there is no problem on getting there the day of the interview. I work 12 hours shifts and i would never make it. I will try however to switch with someone from my work. Im actually interested in the CHC movement. It seems to be a lot different than what the other schools do and it seems like it gives you much earlier clinical experience which i would love to. I work in a hospital. Love taking care of patients and I would love to get back to seeing patients as soon as possible rather then sticking my head in only a book for two years of my life...lol Granted I know i will still have to have class room activity.Thats pretty much accepted, but i love the approach to getting out there in the field earlier
At first, I felt like not wanting to go to the reception either, but it was actually kind of pleasant. And yeah, you only get the tour on the social night (unless on Friday you end early and they offer to take you on a tour). Anyway, like Stefspets said, "go unless you absolutely can't". For me, I didn't meet my interviewers at the social, but it was kind of fun hanging out with the other applicants and getting a tour with current 1st years to ask them any personal questions about being a student there.
@FuturePharm21 - I don't think the class is full yet, but I was told by a faculty member recently at school that the class was "already half-full." And yes, they like to accept more than spots available to make sure the class is full when they start in July. At least, it's been that way for a while now. Hope that helps! And good luck!!!
@FuturePharm21 - I don't think the class is full yet, but I was told by a faculty member recently at school that the class was "already half-full." And yes, they like to accept more than spots available to make sure the class is full when they start in July. At least, it's been that way for a while now. Hope that helps! And good luck!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the advice. I was only asking because I work on the day of the reception. I live out here in Arizona so there is no problem on getting there the day of the interview. I work 12 hours shifts and i would never make it. I will try however to switch with someone from my work. Im actually interested in the CHC movement. It seems to be a lot different than what the other schools do and it seems like it gives you much earlier clinical experience which i would love to. I work in a hospital. Love taking care of patients and I would love to get back to seeing patients as soon as possible rather then sticking my head in only a book for two years of my life...lol Granted I know i will still have to have class room activity.Thats pretty much accepted, but i love the approach to getting out there in the field earlier
It's not going to hurt you if you can't go, but I would try to switch days if you can. It's an extra opportunity to see the campus and show your interest in it, since you will interact with faculty that evening. It's not formal but certainly it doesn't hurt.
I got lucky, I did chat with one of my interviewers at the social, so it was cool the next day when we had already met. It's just luck of the draw though since you don't know who you are interviewing with until Friday.
Cool. Thanks again. Im getting excited more and more as my interview day draws nearer. Hopefully ill get in. If you have any more information to provide about the interview or the school itself, Please let me know. Im glad you guys are at least helpful too.It's not going to hurt you if you can't go, but I would try to switch days if you can. It's an extra opportunity to see the campus and show your interest in it, since you will interact with faculty that evening. It's not formal but certainly it doesn't hurt.
I got lucky, I did chat with one of my interviewers at the social, so it was cool the next day when we had already met. It's just luck of the draw though since you don't know who you are interviewing with until Friday.
I was reading earlier in the postings...is SOMA really full? Can anyone confirm this, because it seems unlikely.
If so, will they still be offering interviews?
If so, will they still be offering interviews?
I was told they are at least offering a December interview. They have to wait until Dec 14th until they completely decide because of the deposit deadline....
I was reading earlier in the postings...is SOMA really full? Can anyone confirm this, because it seems unlikely.
If so, will they still be offering interviews?
It's getting there, because of last year's "accepted pending list" which didn't see a lot of movement. Apparently many of them either weren't accepted elsewhere, really liked SOMA enough to forgo a spot elsewhere in the class of 2015, or were accepted elsewhere at a school they really didn't want to attend.
Either way, I heard the class is about 50% full right now, but that's just hearsay since I haven't asked anyone in admissions directly.
As long as they're offering interviews, they've got seats for 2016 in play, I think that much should be clear.
SLC
It's getting there, because of last year's "accepted pending list" which didn't see a lot of movement. Apparently many of them either weren't accepted elsewhere, really liked SOMA enough to forgo a spot elsewhere in the class of 2015, or were accepted elsewhere at a school they really didn't want to attend.
Either way, I heard the class is about 50% full right now, but that's just hearsay since I haven't asked anyone in admissions directly.
As long as they're offering interviews, they've got seats for 2016 in play, I think that much should be clear.
SLC
I am praying I get off the list... we'll see I guess... Not sure if should send a letter of intent or not...
...well crap
I interviewed last week. They said that after our group that they would be full and that we did good in getting our interview slots. They also stated that full might change as the fee deadline is soon. Some drops likely. So basically you and probably me will me interviewing for glorified backups spots at best.
I interviewed last week. They said that after our group that they would be full and that we did good in getting our interview slots. They also stated that full might change as the fee deadline is soon. Some drops likely. So basically you and probably me will me interviewing for glorified backups spots at best.
Im not for sure if im making an accurate statement but even if you get a pending acceptance list you might want to consider getting your mph while waiting if your interested in that. It will keep you busy in the mean time and plus when it comes time to actually start med school , you'll feel like you have more time to devote to the d.o. program rather then trying to accomplish both at the same time. That's what im thinking of doing.
They let me know in 2 weeks
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just called Joyce at the admissions office. She said the admissions committee is meeting right now, and that phone calls for acceptances should hopefully be made before Thanksgiving for all the applicants that interviewed on Nov. 11 . (Don't quote me on this part: but I remember her saying that wait lists/rejections should be notified after Thanksgiving since those go through postal mail)
I don't know if I should still submit my secondary here? I got a 23 MCAT, 3.59 cum. GPA and 3.33 science with a lot of volunteering, research, and clinical experience...did anyone with a low MCAT get accepted to SOMA this year? I wonder if they have a cut-off when giving interviews??
Last edited:
I interviewed on the 11th and I was just wondering how long it usually takes to hear back. I know next week is thanksgiving break so if I don't hear back by tomorrow than it will most likely be three weeks or so.
They let me know after 4 weeks but it turned out they had forgotten to call me/thought someone had called me the week prior.
They let me know after 4 weeks but it turned out they had forgotten to call me/thought someone had called me the week prior.
yea, they were pretty quick with their response. I think I heard back with a phone call in about 5 days or so.
.Accepted as well. Good luck to everyone applying!
Stats? I wonder if they make calls to all the accepted applicants in one day????
Last edited:
Depends on who's supposed to call you.
Last year it took me 2 weeks to hear back, but others started hearing in one. They assign admissions people to call with the acceptances and some take longer than others to get it done it seems.
Last year it took me 2 weeks to hear back, but others started hearing in one. They assign admissions people to call with the acceptances and some take longer than others to get it done it seems.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanted to let you know about some resources for ATSU SOMA students:
Learning Resources and Counseling - https://sites.google.com/a/atsu.edu/azsrcs/
SafeZone for All Program - https://sites.google.com/a/atsu.edu/safezone-for-all/
ATSU Still Wellbeing (Student Wellness) Program - https://sites.google.com/a/atsu.edu/still-well-program/
Be sure you are ready for medical school! It's not just a continuation of undergrad. Polish off your study skills, time management, stress management and brush up on anatomy and bio-chem.
Here's a FREE pre-matriculation program that you can access online (through Texas Tech) that can tell you a LOT about yourself and what YOU need to do to be successful.
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/success/
Best of luck!
Art Matthews, MA LPC
Licensed Professional Counselor - Learning Resources
Learning Resources and Counseling - https://sites.google.com/a/atsu.edu/azsrcs/
SafeZone for All Program - https://sites.google.com/a/atsu.edu/safezone-for-all/
ATSU Still Wellbeing (Student Wellness) Program - https://sites.google.com/a/atsu.edu/still-well-program/
Be sure you are ready for medical school! It's not just a continuation of undergrad. Polish off your study skills, time management, stress management and brush up on anatomy and bio-chem.
Here's a FREE pre-matriculation program that you can access online (through Texas Tech) that can tell you a LOT about yourself and what YOU need to do to be successful.
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/success/
Best of luck!
Art Matthews, MA LPC
Licensed Professional Counselor - Learning Resources
I called Joyce right now and she said she made all the acceptance calls already. I got placed on the alternate list, which I'm grateful for.
What are the options? There's rejection, alternate list, and waitlist?
What are the options? There's rejection, alternate list, and waitlist?
I think it's rejection, alternate list, pending acceptance, or acceptance.. or at least that was my understanding of it
Just wanted to let you know about some resources for ATSU SOMA students:
Learning Resources and Counseling - https://sites.google.com/a/atsu.edu/azsrcs/
SafeZone for All Program - https://sites.google.com/a/atsu.edu/safezone-for-all/
ATSU Still Wellbeing (Student Wellness) Program - https://sites.google.com/a/atsu.edu/still-well-program/
Be sure you are ready for medical school! It's not just a continuation of undergrad. Polish off your study skills, time management, stress management and brush up on anatomy and bio-chem.
Here's a FREE pre-matriculation program that you can access online (through Texas Tech) that can tell you a LOT about yourself and what YOU need to do to be successful.
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/success/
Best of luck!
Art Matthews, MA LPC
Licensed Professional Counselor - Learning Resources
WOW. Thank you for the link. This is an amazing resource...just what I was looking for
🙂
Hey everyone, I just cancelled my interview this Friday December 2nd, so I wanted to give a heads up to anyone who would like to try to take the open spot. Good luck!
Hey everyone, I just cancelled my interview this Friday December 2nd, so I wanted to give a heads up to anyone who would like to try to take the open spot. Good luck!
Selected as an alternate. How does the process work from here again?
Hey everyone, I just cancelled my interview this Friday December 2nd, so I wanted to give a heads up to anyone who would like to try to take the open spot. Good luck!
I also cancelled mine due to personal reasons. Hope someone can snag these spots 🙂
Im looking foward to meeting everyone that intends on going to the interview this friday 12/2. I have a question though... Can anyone tell me if they are still doing the group activities or not and if they are, what questions are they getting?
No group activity, (never was AFAIK); interviews tend to be conversational. We have an awesome, and diverse, faculty. You never know what you're going to get, but it will be a positive experience.
I interviewed last year, am attending now, and am involved in the interview process. Take it from me: relax, don't waste time trying to rehearse canned answers (they hate that) and answer the questions sincerely and truthfully. They can smell BS from a mile away. Do that and I'll bet you come out on top!
No group activity, (never was AFAIK); interviews tend to be conversational. We have an awesome, and diverse, faculty. You never know what you're going to get, but it will be a positive experience.
I interviewed last year, am attending now, and am involved in the interview process. Take it from me: relax, don't waste time trying to rehearse canned answers (they hate that) and answer the questions sincerely and truthfully. They can smell BS from a mile away. Do that and I'll bet you come out on top!
Thanks Ive been pretty relaxed about this whole process, but its been frustrating to not know what they are thinking or looking for after going through several interviews and being wait listed or rejected. I just recently met with a D.O. who im going to start shadowing and shes been helping me come up with good tips. She does interviews over at AZCOM so she definitely knows whats going on. As I learn more from her, Im actually getting more interested in the process in knowing what some interviewers are looking for or the kind of questions they ask. Especially the ethical questions, even though they are difficult to think through. Well all i can do is keep my head up and just hope the stars align themselves tomorrow 🙂
Thanks Ive been pretty relaxed about this whole process, but its been frustrating to not know what they are thinking or looking for after going through several interviews and being wait listed or rejected. I just recently met with a D.O. who im going to start shadowing and shes been helping me come up with good tips. She does interviews over at AZCOM so she definitely knows whats going on. As I learn more from her, Im actually getting more interested in the process in knowing what some interviewers are looking for or the kind of questions they ask. Especially the ethical questions, even though they are difficult to think through. Well all i can do is keep my head up and just hope the stars align themselves tomorrow 🙂
How did it go!? No activity on this thread in a while...hope you guys hear good news soon!
How does the interview at SOMA work? open-file and 1:3 interview?
Is it really true that the class of this year is pretty much full? I am interviewing here on Jan. 13th and I hope it is not too late...
Is it really true that the class of this year is pretty much full? I am interviewing here on Jan. 13th and I hope it is not too late...
How does the interview at SOMA work? open-file and 1:3 interview?
Is it really true that the class of this year is pretty much full? I am interviewing here on Jan. 13th and I hope it is not too late...
You have a one-on-one 5-10 minute file review with a faculty member and then an interview with two interviewers... And yes, the admissions counselor did tell us after our interview in November that with the number of acceptances they've already extended, the class is pretty much "full".
Personally, I don't think it really affects your chances, as long as you interview well 🙂
How did it go!? No activity on this thread in a while...hope you guys hear good news soon!
I know this thread is pretty slow.. My interview went well until they asked about my research. I had a very hard time find someone to research and when I did I wasnt always a part of it. I chose not to explain that because i didnt want to act negatively toward anyone. And it ended on a bad note because I explained in my secondary I was watching the scenes in Haiti last year which compelled me to volunteer in the american red cross and the interviewer interpreted it and asked "So you went to Hait?" im laughing no but that was the last question so it ended kind of bad... but i guess i never know...lol. Other then that the interveiw went great.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And yes, the admissions counselor did tell us after our interview in November that with the number of acceptances they've already extended, the class is pretty much "full".
)
Do you know the approximate number of acceptances they've extended?
BTW I really love the school and their mission regarding the CHC.After all my interviews so far, this school has moved from my top 4 to top 2. I would definitely go if accepted or pending accepted. If I had to apply again, this would definitely stay on my list of schools to apply to again. Hopefully that wont be the case but who knows.
Do you know the approximate number of acceptances they've extended?
I don't think that info would be available to any of us but if they are still extending invitations then there is still a chance. Good luck!

I'm wondering if anyone (especially current students!) could chime in on how the second year works. I understand that we will be moving to a CHC site, and that we watch recorded lectures online. What about access to professors? If you're having trouble understanding the material, how do you get help? How do you feel about MS2 in general? I love SOMA, but I'm still trying to find out as much as I can before a make a decision! Thanks!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 163
- Views
- 45K
- Replies
- 237
- Views
- 66K
- Replies
- 303
- Views
- 79K
- Replies
- 67
- Views
- 19K
- Replies
- 223
- Views
- 56K