ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have the social tonight and the interview tomorrow. Definitely looking forwards to it! Pretty nervous though. I only just got the invite last week though and am wondering why I was able to sign up for the late February interview but others who got the invite earlier could not. Seems odd to me! Anyone going to the interview tomorrow?
 
I have the social tonight and the interview tomorrow. Definitely looking forwards to it! Pretty nervous though. I only just got the invite last week though and am wondering why I was able to sign up for the late February interview but others who got the invite earlier could not. Seems odd to me! Anyone going to the interview tomorrow?
What was said above must be the case. I'd bet that someone was going to interview and between the time of their interview offer and yours, they probably received an acceptance. Best of luck to you, and please leave a seat open for me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanna say dont miss the social. Its a game changer and you will absolutely not regret it. That is all.
 
Would you mind elaborating on how so? I do have all intentions of going as well.

Just got back from the social. And you definitely want to attend it. It's such a great experience. Everyone there was so kind and friendly it really sucks you in. I can say that that school is pretty great from what little I have seen. If there was any doubt in my mind before of where I wanted to go, it's gone now. I definitely want that to be the med school I am accepted to. They really want you to feel comfortable, and they sure did a good job of that!
 
Just got back from the social. And you definitely want to attend it. It's such a great experience. Everyone there was so kind and friendly it really sucks you in. I can say that that school is pretty great from what little I have seen. If there was any doubt in my mind before of where I wanted to go, it's gone now. I definitely want that to be the med school I am accepted to. They really want you to feel comfortable, and they sure did a good job of that!

Glad to hear that. Did they give an overview of the program? Also, we're you able to find out who your interviewers are?
 
Glad to hear that. Did they give an overview of the program? Also, we're you able to find out who your interviewers are?

Yes, the dean spoke to the entire group about himself, the school and the program briefly. Very informative. Some students took notes, definitely couldn't hurt.

One thing they did say, was that tonight was part of the interview. They weren't evaluating, but trying to get a feel for who we were. They had a certain amount of time dedicated to asking our tour guide who was a first year at the school and also had staff come talk to us. They hinted that you may hear from your interviewer during that time, who may have been the person to come talk to you, but no concrete information was given on who would interview you. but regardless of who it is, they really try to make it as stress free as possible.
 
I interviewed yesterday 2/17 and there wasn't a group activity. There were only the file review and closed file interview. Anyone knows what's going on? Thanks.
 
There never was a group activity. I think the fact that you spend part of the day in groups while they present info etc. is what people are calling the group activities.

But there isn't a group activity that's part of the actual interview.
 
I'm looking for some insights from applicants who were placed on hold and were then invited for an interview; any such case here? I received the notification today and will mail an LOI next week.
Anyone scheduled to interview in March-April already?
Thanks for your input.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was told during our interview that they had accepted 85 students. I don't know for sure if that number is just offers they have made or actual confirmed students.

Hope that helps!
 
I would guess around 40? It was a large group.

jchang624....what do you think? around 40 people interviewing on our day?

yea, our group had 39 people and the lady we were talking to said that they have been accepting about 60% of each interview batch (which i thought was aLOT! haha) but, in her words, "we're getting to the limit but we're not quite there yet so we have some time". 🙂

misssciencenerd: do you know if there is a facebook group for accepted soma students? also, how are you arranging a place to live and everything? i'm still waiting to hear back from a couple schools but i really like SOMA and just thinking about moving to AZ, or anywhere else for that matter, is so intimidating! haha how are we supposed to find roommates? i'm sure we all can't afford a one bedroom apartment ya' know?
 
yea, our group had 39 people and the lady we were talking to said that they have been accepting about 60% of each interview batch (which i thought was aLOT! haha) but, in her words, "we're getting to the limit but we're not quite there yet so we have some time". 🙂

misssciencenerd: do you know if there is a facebook group for accepted soma students? also, how are you arranging a place to live and everything? i'm still waiting to hear back from a couple schools but i really like SOMA and just thinking about moving to AZ, or anywhere else for that matter, is so intimidating! haha how are we supposed to find roommates? i'm sure we all can't afford a one bedroom apartment ya' know?
A special thanks to misssciencenerd and jchang624....now on to my question....60% sounds great, but any idea if this has been a rather consistent figure or if you think it might taper off towards the end of the cycle? Also, any clue if there are any interview days between now and 3/23?
 
yea, our group had 39 people and the lady we were talking to said that they have been accepting about 60% of each interview batch (which i thought was aLOT! haha) but, in her words, "we're getting to the limit but we're not quite there yet so we have some time". 🙂

misssciencenerd: do you know if there is a facebook group for accepted soma students? also, how are you arranging a place to live and everything? i'm still waiting to hear back from a couple schools but i really like SOMA and just thinking about moving to AZ, or anywhere else for that matter, is so intimidating! haha how are we supposed to find roommates? i'm sure we all can't afford a one bedroom apartment ya' know?

I'll help misssciencenerd answer this part. Yes, there is a facebook group for accepted students and they will send you an e-mail about it after you confirm that you will be attending. In the group, several future classmates started talking about rooming arrangements. There are also one room/studios for reasonable price of around 500-600 per month. Shoot me a pm if you have more questions 🙂
 
I'll help misssciencenerd answer this part. Yes, there is a facebook group for accepted students and they will send you an e-mail about it after you confirm that you will be attending. In the group, several future classmates started talking about rooming arrangements. There are also one room/studios for reasonable price of around 500-600 per month. Shoot me a pm if you have more questions 🙂

awesome, thanks yisheng! nice name too ahha (i'm chinese) 😀
 
A special thanks to misssciencenerd and jchang624....now on to my question....60% sounds great, but any idea if this has been a rather consistent figure or if you think it might taper off towards the end of the cycle? Also, any clue if there are any interview days between now and 3/23?

I'm a student ambassador at SOMA. You'll meet us at the Thursday social if you come (I recommend you do). I can confirm that the next interview is the 23rd of march. They had one schedules for the 2nd but it has been cancelled.

Best of luck!
 
I'm a student ambassador at SOMA. You'll meet us at the Thursday social if you come (I recommend you do). I can confirm that the next interview is the 23rd of march. They had one schedules for the 2nd but it has been cancelled.

Best of luck!

Thank you for letting me know. I look forward to meeting you and all the other ambassadors.
 
I'll help misssciencenerd answer this part. Yes, there is a facebook group for accepted students and they will send you an e-mail about it after you confirm that you will be attending. In the group, several future classmates started talking about rooming arrangements. There are also one room/studios for reasonable price of around 500-600 per month. Shoot me a pm if you have more questions 🙂


Adding on to this...I did see the facebook group (can't see the posts though). I have confirmed I am attending and I only got a "thanks" email back. I suppose I will be invited once I mail in my agreement and money.

I am looking at Colonial Grand for an apartment and a couple of other places. I am going to stop by the area during spring break to see the apartments. I know several place don't have a large availability right now but I expect that to change once the 2nd years move to their CHCs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got my acceptance this afternoon!!! So Frikin Excited!! I ended up interviewing on Feb 17th, im wondering if anyone else has heard back yet??
 
Just got my acceptance this afternoon!!! So Frikin Excited!! I ended up interviewing on Feb 17th, im wondering if anyone else has heard back yet??

Yay! Good for you! I also interviewed Feb 17, but haven't heard anything yet. They must be through the Feb 3rd interviewees then?

What group were you in? I was in Group 4-Yellow. Again, congrats...I hope to be in your shoes soon. I absolutely loved the school!
 
I hope you get in! I really liked to school so im pretty stoked. I was in group 1, and when i talked to admissions person yesterday they said they had just finished the feb. 3rd group last week and so this week they were starting the Fed. 17ths. Im sure you will get a call no worries!!!
 
From what I have seen on here and via personal experience, they typically call on Thursdays and Fridays. Also, I know the admissions committee meets on Tuesdays.
 
For what it's worth I heard at the end of the day last wednesday. But then again I was in group 1. While I have nothing to base this on, I figure they might be reviewing in chronological group order. Then again I could be wrong lol, so I'd take that with a grain of salt. One of my friends who interviewed in early January didn't hear back till 5 weeks after, I guess it must do with their overall workload
 
Sup future doctors,

I'm currently a 3rd year on my rotations...if you got questions about what to expect or what rotations are like during your latter half of medical education, give me a shout.

P.S. Your 2nd year is spent at your CHC, and then you do the majority of your 3rd year rotations in your CHC hometown, but then your 4th year rotations are wherever you want them. I've noticed that in some places it says that your 2nd-4th years are spent in your CHC town, which isn't true, just your 2nd and 3rd. I am setting up all my 4th year rotations and I think I'm only going to do 1 in my CHC hometown. 4th year is what you make of it.
 
Sup future doctors,

I'm currently a 3rd year on my rotations...if you got questions about what to expect or what rotations are like during your latter half of medical education, give me a shout.

P.S. Your 2nd year is spent at your CHC, and then you do the majority of your 3rd year rotations in your CHC hometown, but then your 4th year rotations are wherever you want them. I've noticed that in some places it says that your 2nd-4th years are spent in your CHC town, which isn't true, just your 2nd and 3rd. I am setting up all my 4th year rotations and I think I'm only going to do 1 in my CHC hometown. 4th year is what you make of it.

Thanks for the clarification! Can you share which CHC did you go to and why you chose it?
 
Thanks for the clarification! Can you share which CHC did you go to and why you chose it?

I'm at the Phoenix CHC. I chose phoenix because I've been here since 1992 and I like the area. I wasn't a hometown applicant though. My reasoning also was that Phoenix is a very large city and there are a lot of teaching hospitals around the area. I thought it would be a city where I could work in a teaching hospital setting during my 3rd year and make a lot of connections. I only did one of my rotations at a CHC during my 3rd year and that was OBGYN. I did my Peds rotation at Phoenix Children's Hospital, my ER rotation at Kingman Regional Medical Center, my psych rotation at Maricopa County, family med at John C Lincoln (which is not a teaching hospital, but it used to be and was a good environment), I won't go on because that could get boring. Anyways, it kind of worked out the way I anticipated. I got to stay in my city and rotate through the hospitals that I was familiar growing up with. Also, I'm a student ambassador and really wanted to help the first years on the Mesa campus to grow into their own. The one knock on ATSU is that there are no upperclassmen around to really make if feel like a "real campus," but I kind of wanted to change that. So by being close to campus I can go back frequently to assist during OMM classes, give tours, hold tutoring sessions, etc.
 
Last edited:
Interviewed 2/17 . Accepted today 3/14. The calls are going out guys! Best of luck!

Congratulations on getting in! Glad to hear the calls are going out!

What group were you in? I'm just wondering if they are going by group numbers or some other way.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! I was in group 7. I think they're done reviewing and voting, so they're giving out calls. I'm not sure what order they're going by, but hang in there and get ready for the call in the next few days!....and high waitlist is very good too so be strong!
 
Thanks! I was in group 7. I think they're done reviewing and voting, so they're giving out calls. I'm not sure what order they're going by, but hang in there and get ready for the call in the next few days!....and high waitlist is very good too so be strong!

Congrats! I'm glad another 2/17er got accepted. I'm getting a little nervous now though because I was in Group 4. I am praying to get a call tomorrow or Friday! I want to go to this school more than anything!
 
Congrats! I'm glad another 2/17er got accepted. I'm getting a little nervous now though because I was in Group 4. I am praying to get a call tomorrow or Friday! I want to go to this school more than anything!

I know how you feel. I have been checking these boards a couple times a day to see if anyone from the 2/17 date posts that they got in. I was in group 3 so it better not be chronological order! Hopefully you and I can post tomorrow that we got the call as well!
 
The whole chronological order theory is obviously false. I was a 2/3 interviewer and was accepted this week. Multiple 2/17 interviewers were accepted before myself. Don't lose hope.
 
The whole chronological order theory is obviously false. I was a 2/3 interviewer and was accepted this week. Multiple 2/17 interviewers were accepted before myself. Don't lose hope.

You're right! I just received the acceptance call! They must not be going in chronological order. I'm unbelievably excited. This is my first acceptance, so I will obviously be taking it!