August 6th MCAT Score Countdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jamilla_w

We are next people.

How is everyone feeling about the exam now that we have seen a few more MCATs given and the July 24th score?

I am feeling a little optimistic after seeing today's scores but I think that our PS was harder than other people seem to... not good for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok guys here is the deal, I need some help. I have no clue how I am going to get any sleep tonight. I justed noticed a nice round circle where I have worn out the carpet in my living room from pacing.

Any suggestions would be helpful?

:sleep: - I wish : More like :eek:

Do all the pacing you need to do in your bathroom (tile floors)

I just got an email from a school that I applied to and they said that "Congrats - your application is complete!" How is this possible, considering that my MCAT comes out tomorrow? Do they know what it is before I do? Can I call them and find out what it is?

they send those e-mails without having the full scores.

God....it's close enough to need lots and lots of ethanol just to make it through the day. Good thing i just bought some beer. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, that's my plan for tomorrow after I get my score.

So, this was my second time taking the exam...the first time I took it, I was a giant ***** (a year ago) and basically gave it as much attention as I gave the GRE (which wasn't a lot and I did really well and already have a M.A.)

Needless to say, my score was in the low 20's mainly brought down by my ABYSMAL BS score because I hadn't had Biology since high school...

VR was good, PS was ok.

So, my question is this:

If I don't do well tomorrow, is it worth re-taking for a 3rd time? I studied VERY hard this time and worked my tail off. And also, my undergrad GPA was just over a 3.2 but I graduated with honors from grad school -- does that count for anything at all? My M.A. is in International Relations...(B.A. in Journalism/Chemistry -- journalism being why I do really well on VR)

I'm just not sure if I should continue to pursue this if I do horribly...but I'm willing to give it one more try. What are your thoughts?

Ok guys here is the deal, I need some help. I have no clue how I am going to get any sleep tonight. I justed noticed a nice round circle where I have worn out the carpet in my living room from pacing.

Any suggestions would be helpful?

:sleep: - I wish : More like :eek:

Let me introduce you to my little friend... Tylenol PM. Awesome stuff. 1/2 a dose and I'm :sleep:.

So, this was my second time taking the exam...the first time I took it, I was a giant ***** (a year ago) and basically gave it as much attention as I gave the GRE (which wasn't a lot and I did really well and already have a M.A.)

Needless to say, my score was in the low 20's mainly brought down by my ABYSMAL BS score because I hadn't had Biology since high school...

VR was good, PS was ok.

So, my question is this:

If I don't do well tomorrow, is it worth re-taking for a 3rd time? I studied VERY hard this time and worked my tail off. And also, my undergrad GPA was just over a 3.2 but I graduated with honors from grad school -- does that count for anything at all? My M.A. is in International Relations...(B.A. in Journalism/Chemistry -- journalism being why I do really well on VR)

I'm just not sure if I should continue to pursue this if I do horribly...but I'm willing to give it one more try. What are your thoughts?

If you really want it, you should give it another try... but who knows you could have done well on this MCAT!

I'm in a similar situation. I had a 3.15 after college and got a higher degree in a non-science field (with very good grades). I did a 1 year, 40 credit informal post bac with upper division bio classes to boost my GPA to a 3.33. Have you thought about doing the same? I think it would not only help your GPA but also your MCAT score if you have to take it again.

Who's the genius that bumped an old "scores are up" thread? D*mn near gave me a heart attack. :(

If you really want it, you should give it another try... but who knows you could have done well on this MCAT!

I'm in a similar situation. I had a 3.15 after college and got a higher degree in a non-science field (with very good grades). I did a 1 year, 40 credit informal post bac with upper division bio classes to boost my GPA to a 3.33. Have you thought about doing the same? I think it would not only help your GPA but also your MCAT score if you have to take it again.

thats a good idea, actually...I do really want it, but I also want to be realistic too and not...you know :beat:

If I don't go to med school, I'll probably get my phd...but I really want to go to med school..and I'm having a complete anxiety attack now about my scores!!!!!:scared:

Hey everyone, let's start talking about our credentials and everyone who reads our posts needs to comment on how likely we are to get in. Of course, we'll be as anonymous as possible and we'll reveal just what we want to. I'll start....

Graduated from Univ. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Majored in Biochemistry, minored in Business
Overall GPA of 3.59
Science GPA of 3.36
Was a TA for Economics and English
Interned as a cardiology technician at hospital for two summers
Did lab research for one summer
Volunteered at hospital for one summer
Joined lots of pre-med clubs
Took MCAT once in 2005 and got 25, retook MCAT on Aug. 6th and awaiting results (not feeling too great right now and definitely trying to stop obsessing over scores).

What does everyone think of my chances? I applied to lots of places, mostly middle-of-the-road schools.

thats a good idea, actually...I do really want it, but I also want to be realistic too and not...you know :beat:

If I don't go to med school, I'll probably get my phd...but I really want to go to med school..and I'm having a complete anxiety attack now about my scores!!!!!:scared:

Believe me, I know how you feel. Deep down, I know I did poorly on this exam and tomorrow will not be a happy day... I hope it works out for us all tomorrow, but even if we have to retake the MCAT and apply again next year it won't be the end of the world. It will just delay our plans for a year. :)

Hey everyone, let's start talking about our credentials and everyone who reads our posts needs to comment on how likely we are to get in. Of course, we'll be as anonymous as possible and we'll reveal just what we want to. I'll start....

Overall GPA of 3.59
Science GPA of 3.36
Took MCAT once in 2005 and got 25, retook MCAT on Aug. 6th and awaiting results (not feeling too great right now and definitely trying to stop obsessing over scores).

What does everyone think of my chances? I applied to lots of places, mostly middle-of-the-road schools.

At least you have clinical experience...I have none, literally. I know a lot because I was raised around doctors and nurses but I didn't develop my desire to become a doctor until last year so I didn't pursue the necessary volunteer/paid experience. I have some great jobs under my belt and a lot of work with non-profits etc but none of them are in the medical field.

Sounds like if you do well on the mcat you'll have a good chance!!

Members don't see this ad :)
We are within the 11 hour mark. Thanks for the idea about pacing on the tile, the only problem now is that I have serious shin splints.

Overall GPA of 3.59
Science GPA of 3.36

I think you're good if you get at least a 30 on this thing.

Anyone else having MCAT dreams? I didn't the last time I took it, in fact I rarely dream at all, but last night I had a dream that there was a whole huge room of people getting their scores in the same fashion that people find out where they matched for residency. My score sheet said I got a 42, which would be awesome, but in reality is highly unlikely. I just want at least 3 points better than last time and at least a 10 in every section so people stop asking me if English is my second language :mad:.

I had at least 5 dreams about this exam last night some about me getting 20s..others about me getting 40s...

I'm going crazy

I had at least 5 dreams about this exam last night some about me getting 20s..others about me getting 40s...

I'm going crazy

I dreamt that i did well on my BS but when it came time to view my VR score i always wake up!! definitely not a good sign of things to come!

I'm going crazy

I notice that my dreams the last two days always end in one of those "falling sensations". The bad part is that its the score that is falling ....

no, my dreams were about high school reunions...I guess anxiety presents itself in many forms...

Hey Jericho, didn't you do some of those MCAT chat things we spontaneously set up? If I remember, you really had your stuff down cold! I think you're going to do fine!

Alright, it's the eleventh hour.....
(And I have class from 11:30-6:30 :( )

Overall GPA of 3.59
Science GPA of 3.36

I think your chances are good and I think it's worth re-applying if you don't get in. I had a crashed computed last year (Aug 2006) for which there was no recourse. Even with a Ph.D. in cell phys and a 3.8 GPA, I still got wait-listed. I was really disappointed, but I still decided to try again. If I have to take the MCAT again, then I will. I would recommend a Kaplan review course if you decide you want to try again. It's silly to keep doing the same thing and expect a different result. Actually, it's the definition of insanity. Best of luck to you and all the other hopefulls out there. Don't take no for an answer! If you really want to be a doctor, keep trying. I heard a rumor that there is a guy that started this year at my university who had applied 6 times before they let him in. Now that is determination!

I think your chances are good and I think it's worth re-applying if you don't get in. I had a crashed computed last year (Aug 2006) for which there was no recourse. Even with a Ph.D. in cell phys and a 3.8 GPA, I still got wait-listed. I was really disappointed, but I still decided to try again. If I have to take the MCAT again, then I will. I would recommend a Kaplan review course if you decide you want to try again. It's silly to keep doing the same thing and expect a different result. Actually, it's the definition of insanity. Best of luck to you and all the other hopefulls out there. Don't take no for an answer! If you really want to be a doctor, keep trying. I heard a rumor that there is a guy that started this year at my university who had applied 6 times before they let him in. Now that is determination!

MCAT was paper and pencil last August. Try your flame again.

It is possible that this person did take a CBT last August. They were doing a few CBTs as a trial run for this year. I wouldn't have wanted to be a guinea pig for that, but whatever. Anyway, I don't know if this person is telling the truth or not, but don't call BS unless you have the right facts.

I had a dream last night that an AAMC employee wanted a prostate exam in exchange for my score. I'm a girl, not a urologist - this was both manipulative and a misplaced overture... NEED SCORE!

I had a dream last night that an AAMC employee wanted a prostate exam in exchange for my score. I'm a girl, not a urologist - this was both manipulative and a misplaced overture... NEED SCORE!

LOL, that's hilarious.

Only 5 hrs. left to wait...

:)Good luck yall, (might be late) But im taking it this saturday, if you wouldnt mind could yall let us know how it turns out and how it compares to your practice tests!!!

Thanks!!

You have no scores yet.
You have no scores yet.
You have no scores yet.
You have no scores yet.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

You have no scores yet.
You have no scores yet.
You have no scores yet.
You have no scores yet.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I know, frustrating right? It really isn't better the 2nd time around either. All I keep getting are my old scores, and I don't particularly want to keep seeing those.

so, 2 nights ago, i dreamed that i scored a 35. then last night i dreamed that i scored a 9!!!!!then woke up...what a relief. then went back to sleep and dreamed that i scored a 30!!! LOL. horrible night i must say, but i would be ecstatic with a 30

so, 2 nights ago, i dreamed that i scored a 35. then last night i dreamed that i scored a 9!!!!!then woke up...what a relief. then went back to sleep and dreamed that i scored a 30!!! LOL. horrible night i must say, but i would be ecstatic with a 30

I had a situation like that last night. Between 4 dreams my score went from a 20 to a 39 to a 27 and then a 24. Needless to say, I couldn't sleep very much, and can't think about anything else right now!

You have no scores yet.
You have no scores yet.
You have no scores yet.
You have no scores yet.

LOL, same here... I've seen that message so many times that when my score actually appears I will be caught completely off guard.

I've been a silent observer for quite some time.. but.. this wait is killing meeee.. I'm so happy I found this forum, the canadian one isn't that active, and until a few weeks ago I thought I was the only one who had been runover by the physical sciences.... currently alternating between dreading the score release and NEEDING IT RIGHT NOW.:scared:

I've been a silent observer for quite some time.. but.. this wait is killing meeee.. I'm so happy I found this forum, the canadian one isn't that active, and until a few weeks ago I thought I was the only one who had been runover by the physical sciences.... currently alternating between dreading the score release and NEEDING IT RIGHT NOW.:scared:

Welcome! I'm glad you decided to post! :)

The PS was brutal. The funny thing is that immediately after the exam I didn't think that people said it was that hard so I was super freaked out too.

so, i have class from 12:10 to 1:50. i already graduated and am just taking psychology for pre reqs at a few schools. i really dont know if im gonna go to class. we have wireless internet, and the last thing i want to do is jump in excitement in class because of a good score, or sob like a little baby in class if i get a bad score...what to do what to do.

Welcome! I'm glad you decided to post! :)

The PS was brutal. The funny thing is that immediately after the exam I didn't think that people said it was that hard so I was super freaked out too.

yeah, i walked out of my test center and there were a few people chatting, and one said it wasnt bad at all. this happend to be the same guy who claimed while we were waiting, that he didnt study, took one practice test the night before and got a 42. i call bull****!!

yeah, i walked out of my test center and there were a few people chatting, and one said it wasnt bad at all. this happend to be the same guy who claimed while we were waiting, that he didnt study, took one practice test the night before and got a 42. i call bull****!!

Ugh. I hate people like that soooooo much. What do they get out of lying about something like that? Idiots.

Scores are up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry just kidding don't ban me..:)..

can time go any slower?

Hey Jericho, didn't you do some of those MCAT chat things we spontaneously set up? If I remember, you really had your stuff down cold! I think you're going to do fine!

Alright, it's the eleventh hour.....
(And I have class from 11:30-6:30 :( )

I did do some of those with you -- and you were rockin too -- so maybe there is hope yet!

Actually, I took the CBT last august too, it was the first one -- I believe I took it August 18th 2006 -- or whatever that Saturday was around then.

still no scores...just checked.

Last time they came out at around 3:40pm EST